The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Theremin » 17 Aug 2010, 14:26

I'm not sure what to think, then.

As far as my theory of unchanging beliefs goes, I tend to take the 16-25 age range as a kind of grace period. Purely for the reason that at that point in life, most people are still young, frantic and squishy-brained.

Plus, when you hear about someone escaping an incredibly religious or cultish family unit, it's always someone young.

The 50-year-old uncle isn't suddenly going to reevaluate his prejudices, but the uncompleted youngish adult just might.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 17 Aug 2010, 14:28

sdhonda wrote:Opening comments are not nessasary, the conversation should develop anyways.

I think some comments are nice to show that you actually understood the article or have some opinion on it and you aren't just regurgitating something and hoping that no one disagrees.

e; i usually try to condense it or point out the main parts so people don't get intimidated or wonder what the hell is this
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Aug 2010, 14:45

Fayili, that sounds scarily familiar to a situation I was/am in (with me as the ass-friend). Very, spookily, familiar. Fortunately I haven't really talked to Her since February or so, and you look almost nothing like Her, so I can safely assume that you are not Her.

It is, on the whole, a crappy situation to be in, but I can't offer you any advice other than to do the exact opposite of what we did.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 17 Aug 2010, 15:08

Naw, this happened in June.

I just... I'm not going to give in this time. I'm not going to deal with his hypocrisy and... Oh, who am I kidding. I'll probably be begging him to talk to me again within the month.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Aug 2010, 15:33

So....

A gentleman came up to the Deli today, and asked about a woman who used to work there, but quit a little less than two years ago. I haven't been in touch with her - nor does she stop by the Deli - at all for about a year. Add to which, I didn't know this guy from Adam so I was really feeling uncomfortable about providing ANY information to him. Regardless that a) she's a former employee, and B) I don't know any info on her to provide.

Luckily, my department manager came back from sending off an order before things petered out and I was able to 'pass him along' to her - she has the ex-employee as a friend on FB...if not chatting directly, much.

For the record, the woman's son works over in the Seafood department, currently. And he was in today.

So manager took the man to speak with him...

...well...

...as it turns out, the man is our Seafood employee's estranged father...

...the two have never met...

...AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWKWARD. :?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Aug 2010, 17:35

Heh, I can imagine. Rather well, actually, considering I have two half brothers that I've never met and don't even know what country they're in. My brother discovered them on Facebook, so yeah...that was an awkward conversation with my father.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 18 Aug 2010, 17:57

Today was nothing but mixed emotions. Got a tip on a group looking for a promoter (just for networking, no cash), and met other people in my major - who are awesome. This is the first time in my life I have even been part of a group of people who view music the same way I do. The university faculty are all supportive of their students, while maintaining high standards, which is exactly what I love. Also, it's nice that there is no racial tension here at all.

Then I met with my mentor who forced me to focus on how much I still need to work through my emotions on the divorce, the move, getting kicked out of my old school, and other fears. He's right, I can't move forward until all that is settled.

Ugh. Not getting drunk even if I feel like it.

Edit: If you choose to respond to this, I'm not going to discuss it with you. Just don't be offended, k? It's not personal.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 18 Aug 2010, 19:03

OMG... I'm everywhere right now.

Some of you who have me on FB or Twitter have heard part of this. My left wrist is in a splint, my right arm has been in a sling, I'm hopped up on muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories... and on a work release from Panera cause my arms are too weak lift anything. Takes both arms for me to lift my laptop. :( Doc thinks that I have pinched nerves caused by carpal tunnel. I disagree... I think I have a pinched nerve in my back. After two weeks of his treatments, I asked for a reference to a chiropractor today to see if a realignment will fix what the other treatment is just minimizing. *sigh*

That was bad enough, but I'm supposed to be working on a presentation and paper that will summarize all of the work I have been doing over the last 7 months... presentation due next week. I don't think I'm going to have the mental fortitude to actually give the presentation, but thats okay... my advisor could put the defense behind my slides. So, I've spent 4 days now working in powerpoint. Aaaannnd... my damnable computer ATE IT!! I emailed my advisor at 730 tonight explaining, and promising to have him something to review by Friday morning. I just spent 2 hours rebuilding the basic outline and submitted that to him, promising to have the details incorporated tomorrow.

Being physically incapacitated stinks.
Being mentally fuzzy due to meds for physical incapacitation is weird.
Damnable OLD laptop eating 4 days worth of work - horrible.
Having a NEW laptop ready to replace the old one - forsight :).
Sending your boss proof that you're a diligent worker, even when incapacitated... has to be worth something.

Oh... and the doctor officially released me back to typing, but not lifting. Got the roomie to do some heavy lifting for me tonight. Yay for roomies!! (and clean laundry.)

---
Edit: Did I mention that on top of all this, I now have a stupid summer cold? Runny nose, sinus pressure, post-nasal drip, and clogged ears. *sigh*
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 19 Aug 2010, 07:25

So I'm trying to buy a used car, but every decent lead goes sour.

Found a really nice Honda that I wanted enough to buy on the spot, but the dealership selling it gave me the run around and really tried to bust my balls. I'm not gonna put up with their shit, so I just tore up the checks and walked out, but DAMN if that wasn't the perfect car.

Hopefully the Toyota I'm gonna look at today will make up for it. It's a Yaris, which is a little small, but with 30 MPG city, I think I can live with a little less room.

~Alja~

Addendum: I really wish I could just use the vehicles I already own. Or barring that, I wish I could sell some of my industrial resources or surplus energy to fund the purchase. Managing two sets of finances is annoying, particularly when they are so disparate in nature.
empath

Postby empath » 21 Aug 2010, 17:04

So....

St. John's may well have joined the 'big boys' and have a serial killer/abductor.
Oh, JOY. Image

Ms. Shirran went missing about a month ago:

and now Ms. Goodyear seems to have gone missing sometime after Sunday:

Whatever happened in the first instance, I don't think things will turn out well there (best case scenario, she lit out...leaving everything behind, including a child she recently won sole custody over from her ex-boyfriend).

I HOPE the second is unrelated, and it resolves well - got invited to go camping with friends at the last minute or something.

But they DO have a fair amount of similarities...

*sigh* :(
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 21 Aug 2010, 17:43

Why is this mixed emotions?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Aug 2010, 17:53

I want to laugh at a name like Ms Goodyear but I know it would be in terrible taste.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
empath

Postby empath » 21 Aug 2010, 18:44

Well, it does mean my 'city' has "finally made it" :roll:
...but at what cost? :(

And Goodyear is a very common name around here, along with Reid, Tobin, Noseworthy, Aylward, Blagdon, Dunphy, Gaulton, Halfyard, Sweetapple, Stuckless (there's a story behind that, I just know it), and then the more common 'regular' English/Irish surnames.
empath

Postby empath » 22 Aug 2010, 05:33

Short bit of background:

I leave the radio in the bedroom low on a 'easy listening/adult contemporary' station as "white noise" to drown out all the little creaks of an older wooden house with hot water heating, and the like.

And the stations has a 'cool jazz' program on on Sunday mornings. So, being off from work, I stayed up a little late, and slept in late...slowly and lazily emerging from Morpheus' depths to hear THIS.

...made me doubt whether I was really waking up or just dreaming that I was. Image

...but I have to be honest - it's PRETTY GOOD, too. :?
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 22 Aug 2010, 05:59

Daaaaaaamn, empath, that is epic.

Even as someone who thoroughly enjoys hamming up THAT SONG (no spoilers) on Rock Band, I definitely like this version.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
empath

Postby empath » 22 Aug 2010, 07:41

Yeah, I've since been listening to the rest of his covers - I really like that I can NOW understand the words to "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...even if they don't make much sense, anyway. ;)
empath

Postby empath » 23 Aug 2010, 04:29

Okay, apparently I'm the Avatar of Ambivalence™...

Somehow I got it in my head that I work 9am-4pm today, instead of 4pm-10pm like it is recorded EVERYWHERE I might possibly check. Image

While this means I missed a prime chance to sleep in, and got all prepped for work way earlier than I needed to, it also means I have almost NO preparation necessary when I do have to go, as well as being able to catch that Live Unskippable today (well, most of it). :)

And on a creepy note, when I drove down to work at about 8:50, there was NO traffic at ALL on the major thoroughfares...when usually there's near-gridlock on these streets from maybe seven-thirty until almost ten a.m. Image
Maybe it's just a municipal holiday or something...or maybe I broke with the script and 'the extras' weren't ready for this improv scene in my "Truman Show"? ;)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Aug 2010, 04:39

If indeed this is the Empath Show then I am in some strange form of Matrix, neither being aware your show exists or that in fact I am a player in it...

Let me just see if I can open the console.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 23 Aug 2010, 04:59

Huh. Here I am pondering if it would be possible for me to go back and get those extras ready.

See, that's my weakness: anything that requires people other than myself or my handful of oracles.

~Alja~
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 24 Aug 2010, 21:25

Mixed emotions: Pros: Vancouver smells like fresh baked cookies. Cons: But I have a huge headache and feel like I'm going to vomit.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Aug 2010, 21:42

Siobhan, you're in town?

And I just came from the P.N.E. ...

Sorry you have a headache, and also sorry your flight was so much. If it helps, I brought it up at work today. My boss and a post-doc are going to a conference in Calgary in November. He's from the UK, she's from Israel. They were both like, 'How much could a one-hour flight to Calgary possibly cost?' and I was like, 'Uhhhhh....'
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 24 Aug 2010, 21:54

HA! Take it from me.. buy as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more it is! It jumped 200 bucks in 2 days. How silly! I could have got a round trip greyhound for 200$ and saved 300$, but I'd have to give up 3 days of work vs 2 for the 17 hour drive out, and that means I would have lost 250$ in wages, and in actuality only saved 50$ (Which I would have spent on truck stop food and bribing people not to behead me when I slept)

Yes, Carmen Siobhan Diego is in town. =D It's too bad it's all business, though. I am on the ocean near Stanley Park, so it would have been nice to hang out for a bit. But you know, I'll be back.. I'm always on a flight somewhere. :D I'm a plane in the sunset with no where to land.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
empath

Postby empath » 25 Aug 2010, 04:18

Ah, altitude difference - probably won't be there long enough to adapt to sea-level, but I'd still expect some headachy and nauseous feelings for maybe a day after your return.

At least you're not getting faint like I did when I first went from maybe 100-200 feet ASL to 3500' at the airport. :P Got to the apartment and crashed on the futon for about three hours, then walked around the block with a friend to Office Depot and bought a computer desk...had to stop a couple times on carrying it back, I was so dizzy. :(

Anyways, enjoy the cookie aroma, may the bureaucracy be well-oiled and move swiftly and smoothly for you, and may your return be pleasant!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Aug 2010, 13:00

1000 m is nothing in terms of altitude. Go to 4200 m from sea level and see how you feel.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Aug 2010, 13:15

Not pleasant. But then, I've only been to 3285m myself.

Return to “General Discussion”