The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Nov 2015, 03:39

Looking through the Desert Bus prizes... There's very little this year that I'd even want to bid on. :|

On the one hand, it makes me feel not as bad to be financially unable to contribute much this year.

On the other hand, it's making me feel like "Why did they get rid of all the cool stuff from previous years and replace it with Meh stuff this year?"

On the third hand, I'm considering "Maybe this stuff is indeed awesome... but for other people." But that kind of means that the LRR/DB community as a whole is slowly drifting away from things that I consider interesting and relevant. That would mean that the end of my time in this community is slowly approaching, and that's a depressing thought. :-(
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Nov 2015, 08:08

I feel unconnected to my church at home, still. I feel connected to my homegroup within the church, and the evening band. But that's it. It's making the move to Catalonia seem easier, sadly.

My Sunday consists of:
Go to church.
Say hi to some people.
Everyone goes off independently to do their own thing.
I go home via a lift from someone.
I have to find my way back to church.
I play in the evening band.
I interact after church a bit.
I get taken home.
--
Variances is spending the afternoon with my sister which... is... nice... because she's my sister, but really boring because we have so little in common. She then get angry when she finds out that I have to be back at church an hour before service so I can go to band practice, which I have been doing for a year now.

Trust me, Christian fellowship is awesome. It just hurts a bit when everyone else is busy living their life without you.
--
This just means moving away is easier.

If I am going to feel socially unfulfilled, might as well do it in a place that's warmer and people have a larger open door policy with their hospitality.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 09 Nov 2015, 09:13

Memo: I'm sure more stuff is yet to be revealed. Also, a lot of the nuts stuff happened from call-ins. Also also, look at all the giveaways! Man, I'm going to be trying desperately not to spend all my money just entering giveaways.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Nov 2015, 12:54

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:It just hurts a bit when everyone else is busy living their life without you.
Fayili wrote:Memo: I'm sure more stuff is yet to be revealed. Also, a lot of the nuts stuff happened from call-ins. Also also, look at all the giveaways! Man, I'm going to be trying desperately not to spend all my money just entering giveaways.
Yeah, but if that actually happens, then I'll end up feeling bad that I can't have a chance at them. It's somewhat of a lose/lose situation, it seems. I mean, I know Desert Bus will be great, regarding the other stuff. It's just that I got into a groove in several previous years, and that groove is gone this year. :-(

viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 10 Nov 2015, 07:21

Bebop and I just finished playing The last of us.
Honestly, I liked the game a lot but I don't know what to make of the final cutscene! Like it's somewhat lacking or something. It's still a very awesome game, though.
:)
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Nov 2015, 10:32

viscomica wrote:Bebop and I just finished playing The last of us.
Honestly, I liked the game a lot but I don't know what to make of the final cutscene! Like it's somewhat lacking or something. It's still a very awesome game, though.
:)

Maybe this will cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEdlCM0OcMs
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 10 Nov 2015, 11:05

AdmiralMemo wrote:Looking through the Desert Bus prizes... There's very little this year that I'd even want to bid on. :|

On the one hand, it makes me feel not as bad to be financially unable to contribute much this year.

On the other hand, it's making me feel like "Why did they get rid of all the cool stuff from previous years and replace it with Meh stuff this year?"

On the third hand, I'm considering "Maybe this stuff is indeed awesome... but for other people." But that kind of means that the LRR/DB community as a whole is slowly drifting away from things that I consider interesting and relevant. That would mean that the end of my time in this community is slowly approaching, and that's a depressing thought. :-(

This is going to sound a bit blunt, but... dude, you're being rather melodramatic.

Firstly, not all of the prizes have been unveiled yet. This they have fully admitted.

Secondly, you didn't bid or like everything that was in previous years' lot. I know this because nobody likes everything.

Thirdly, there is always, ALWAYS year-on-year variation. I'm not into a hell of a lot of stuff that's been sold at Desert Bus in past years. I don't care particularly about Bioshock, or Penny Arcade, or Minecraft, or Zelda. Or, for that matter, cosplay or plushes or wall hangings or anything. I'd been watching Desert Bus for three years and never really seen much I'd superlatively like to bid on, then dropped £70 (as much as I could afford, as a student) on bids for that Zelda sword last year because ZOMG SWORDS. Mayhap it's just your turn to have stuff that ain't interesting to you show up. It happens. Be happy it happened on a year you can't afford it, I guess :P

Finally... look, you know the people behind LRR haven't fundamentally changed. We haven't changed, and if we were you'd see much more evidence of it than prizes at an auction being slightly more focused towards one flavour of nerdery than another. Plus, we know Desert Bus will be great. It always is. And if it makes you feel any better, this year I have a bit of cash spare so I can take your place for a few big donations ;)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Nov 2015, 13:12

Be blunt. I appreciate it. I respect and prefer brutal honesty.

And yes, I am typically like an O-type star: my emotions burn hot, burn bright, and burn out quickly. I usually deal with my emotions via venting like this, so maybe I'm melodramatic. Who knows? I'm feeling much better after getting that vent out, and am not as worried.
I think this post was a bit of my depression lying to me again.
And, no, I didn't bid on or like everything, of course. But I had some sort of passing interest in about at least 1/3 of the items offered. (Partially why I've had to pace my spending, and prioritize what I wanted in previous years.) This year, I have in interest in probably less than 10% of the items. The extent of the variance is what made me think about this.

And yes, I should be happy that it happens on a year where I don't have money. But it doesn't, because emotions are stupid and they don't follow logical patterns. That's why I hate emotions: they don't make sense.

And yes, I've always been OK with the Desert Bus run. I wasn't worried about that. I know that won't change very significantly year-to-year, and I'll enjoy it each time.

Like I said, it's probably just depression lying to me again.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 10 Nov 2015, 17:31

Well, I sure did just apply to go back to school.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 11 Nov 2015, 02:15

Three papers due on Friday and I can't focus I had a plan to get one done every day this week earlier but I haven't and none are done and I know that I could do it if I would just try but I can't focus and ugh

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

hacofo
First Video: DB5 Stream

Postby hacofo » 11 Nov 2015, 05:21

Jamfalcon wrote:Well, I sure did just apply to go back to school.

Best of luck. :)
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Nov 2015, 09:31

hacofo wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:Well, I sure did just apply to go back to school.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks! It's kinda scary since I haven't done anything academic for a while now, but I'm also excited that I'm going to change things up. Well, not until next September, but still. :P

I wrote a book!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Nov 2015, 10:17

Got a colonoscopy done due to some bleeding issues I had been having. Yesterday was miserable. I had to suffer through a headache for a full day because I couldn't take asprin two days ago. And today involved sitting and waiting for three hours. All of this on top of a CT scan that I had a few months back.

And of course they found nothing wrong with me. :/

I'm happy to be healthy, don't get me wrong. But it sure does feel like I dumped a lot of time and money down the drain for nothing.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 11 Nov 2015, 10:28

Fayili wrote:Three papers due on Friday and I can't focus I had a plan to get one done every day this week earlier but I haven't and none are done and I know that I could do it if I would just try but I can't focus and ugh

I feel this, Fay. This is basically my day-to-day with my grad school homework. Little bits at a time, right?
-betsy
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Nov 2015, 11:42

Kapol wrote:But it sure does feel like I dumped a lot of time and money down the drain for nothing.
I feel you with that, but I try to look at it as "I dumped a lot of time and money into making completely sure I'm healthy." That's tough to do, in practice, but it's really the truth.

JustAName

Postby JustAName » 11 Nov 2015, 12:01

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Kapol wrote:But it sure does feel like I dumped a lot of time and money down the drain for nothing.
I feel you with that, but I try to look at it as "I dumped a lot of time and money into making completely sure I'm healthy." That's tough to do, in practice, but it's really the truth.

Worrying about the time and money is results oriented thinking. You made the right play, regardless of the outcome.

MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 11 Nov 2015, 18:00

I'm suing someone. This is something I really hoped to go through life not having to do.

Yes I could walk away, but this is something that has been eating at me for a month now, and if they get away with it this time, someone might actually die next time.

Also I have to find a lawyer now.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 11 Nov 2015, 18:08

Oh. Huh. I may actually be able to point you in the right direction on that one. The Law Society of Upper Canada has a free referral service:

The Law Society Referral Service (LSRS) fills an important community need by connecting people looking for legal assistance with a lawyer or paralegal. If you're looking for a lawyer referral service or paralegal referral service, LSRS can help. For anything from dealing with a traffic ticket to buying your first home, you can find a legal representative with LSRS.

When you request a lawyer or paralegal referral online, we will give you the name of a lawyer or licensed paralegal who will provide a free consultation of up to 30 minutes to help you determine your rights and options, provided we have a match available.

Link

Ignore me if you've already got it handled, but I like pointing people to the service because it's free, it's a good place to start if you don't know where to go, and not many people are aware of it.

Best of luck, MinniChi. :)
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Nov 2015, 18:27

Is this about the wedding catering (if it's okay of me to ask)? If so, it sounded like you're totally in the right, and good luck, hopefully you can sort it out without too much of a headache!

I wrote a book!
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 11 Nov 2015, 18:40

Yeah it's about the wedding catering fiasco. I had to double check our contracts, but they both state No Nuts, and they definitely put nuts in a dish without putting up signage or providing any warning (a guest discovered the nuts and warned those allergic to it). However a family member still had to go to the hospital.

Also, that is a super helpful link Arclight_Dynamo. Thank you so much. I just started looking into this. This just saved me hours of reading various laws and Acts and legal things I know nothing about (yet).
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 14 Nov 2015, 20:27

One of my coworkers left today. She's got a great new job, but tonight was her last day. I brought in a cake for her and everyone else, we hugged...

And I kissed her on the forehead.

Not sure I should have. It was not meant to be romantic, just to express my affection for her. She was a great worker and always treated me right.

I will miss her. That emotion is not mixed, but... I hope that wasn't a mistake.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Nov 2015, 01:28

When you find out someone you know is going to vote for Donald Trump, and you're wondering if you should confront them, or just let it go to preserve the relationship, because Maryland is going to vote straight Democrat like always anyway...

auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 06 Jan 2016, 23:34

There is no middle ground for me between missing someone so terribly it aches constantly and being so cold and detached that no one can get in. I don't know how people say goodbye to someone without suffering for days afterward. It always feels like I can't see them again soon enough... It's like I get high on the social interaction and then suffer withdrawal once it's over, which is ironic because often when I'm with people I wish I could be doing something else.

Also I miss this forum and having a social life, so to speak, but I often rationalize it and say to myself everyone's better off with me being absent (including myself), especially after as long as I've been gone. Somehow being alone seems like the sensible thing to do these days.

I've always been shitty with change though, that probably explains it.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Jan 2016, 00:28

auberginequeen wrote:I often rationalize it and say to myself everyone's better off with me being absent (including myself), especially after as long as I've been gone.

I can't speak for you, but can certainly speak for me and say that that's completely wrong. You're one of the people who helped welcome me to this community, and you're always welcome back regardless of the reason or the length of time.

I wrote a book!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 07 Jan 2016, 03:47

I second that whole-heartedly. I've always felt that the forum as a whole and the people in it benefit from you being around, Aubergine. I personally have noted your absence, and been happy when I've seen that you've posted again! :)
Hurp-De-Durp!

Return to “General Discussion”