Venting Thread Beta

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Re: Venting Thread Beta

Postby Whitmore » 01 Oct 2010, 06:00

Gollom wrote:Nobody emptied the cat litter, so the cat refused to use it. Of course, nature still calls, and he had to go. Where did he go, you might ask?

In the bathtub? No, but he thought about it.
On the living room rug? Nah, there was a dog there.
On the person who's sole job is to change his litter? Nope.
On my bed? While I'm trying to sleep? Perfect target!

And he really had to go. So much pee, it soaked through to the mattress. It's very disturbing to wake up, cat pawing at your blanket and realize that your leg is wet. Oh well, nothing a hot shower, a couple loads of laundry and cleaner/baking soda won't fix.
You win a gold star!

You have a great outlook on life.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Oct 2010, 09:10

Again being fully sane might be too much, but can I at least be sane enough to sleep and eat at the usual times? None of this going to sleep at 4pm them waking up for breakfast at 10pm nonsense.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 01 Oct 2010, 20:28

korri wrote:
Is there a generic version of your meds? Some grocery stores will offer discounts on generics. For example, the grocery store near me, offers generics for 2 bucks and any diabetes meds for free. Its a huge chain in Pittsburgh and I don't know where you are, but if you could find something like this, it would probably help a bit.

Weirdly enough, there is only generic versions of my meds. They're still that expensive. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I get prescribed Concerta again, which there is no generic form of until 2012 if I remember right. It was $60 with insurance
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 Oct 2010, 23:24

falconknight06 wrote:
korri wrote:
Is there a generic version of your meds? Some grocery stores will offer discounts on generics. For example, the grocery store near me, offers generics for 2 bucks and any diabetes meds for free. Its a huge chain in Pittsburgh and I don't know where you are, but if you could find something like this, it would probably help a bit.

Weirdly enough, there is only generic versions of my meds. They're still that expensive. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I get prescribed Concerta again, which there is no generic form of until 2012 if I remember right. It was $60 with insurance

As someone who has had to deal with a similar situation, I agree how horridly it sucks. I lost mine when I turned 21, then 23. (My dad switched jobs, and the new company said 23, so I was on it for a while). I tried to get my own insurance, but the plan I wanted and the plan they were going to give me were radically different, because, like you, I had a pre-existing diagnosis of clinical depression (the banning of which should have been the FIRST thing to roll out with the Obamacare plan, but that's another story). Now I lucked out a bit more than you, because I have lived in PA and went to school in PA since 6th grade, so I had the residency stuff done. therefore I qualified for Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities, and my meds were free. Then I lost my coverage, because I lost my job from college, so I had to start paying full price for my pills, which were 45 dollars or so A WEEK.

Long story short, being on medicaid sucks a bit, until you realize how cheap the bills actually are.

As for my own vent...

Dear Customer-Who-Comes-In-at-8:55pm-When-We-Close-at-9:00pm,

Would you kindly go fuck yourself with a shotgun and die in a fire? We weren't busy for a good 90 minutes before you showed up, so why the fuck did you have to drag yourself and your three, cranky-ass daughters to buy shit from us five minutes before we close? I even SAW you GET OUT OF YOUR CAR, so I know you just got there. Then, you tell us in no-uncertain terms that you LIVE AROUND HERE! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW OUR HOURS?! Now I have to postpone my own closing checklist so I can clean up after your dumb ass.

I hope your grandchildren are stillborn.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 02 Oct 2010, 01:49

Slightly annoyed that the forum etiquette sticky is locked, as I really wanted to post:

"Eticats are the better cats."
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 02 Oct 2010, 02:32

6AM is early.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Oct 2010, 04:21

TomBrend wrote:6AM is early.

QFT. I'm with ya, man!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 02 Oct 2010, 08:40

TomBrend wrote:6AM is early.

Wait wait wait...there's a 6 AM? That sounds just awful.

As an addendum to yesterday's cat pee fun, after I washed my sheets, I hung them outside to dry. I've done this a hundred times with no problems, but this time a bird decided to poop on them. So back in the washer they went. I used the dryer after that...

A bit later, I was riding in the car with my hand on the roof. The birds couldn't just settle for my sheets and decided to poop on my hand as well.

So yeah, yesterday I managed to piss off Mother Nature somehow and she responded by making animals expel waste on me and my stuff.
Whitmore

Postby Whitmore » 02 Oct 2010, 12:40

You know when you get Daylight Savings Time wrong and you wake up two hours earlier than needed?

Five hours of sleep sucks.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 02 Oct 2010, 13:04

Take a good chunk of Empath's vents about working in the deli department and slap my name on them, that will save time. But otherwise I'm enjoying being employed again. Except we can't have drinks in the deli.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 02 Oct 2010, 13:07

You know what's really, really, really impressive? What has me applauding and singing praises from the bottom of my heart every week of my life? It's those... wonderful, inspired, prodigiously talented drivers who have the sheer... genius to drive at forty miles an hour, no matter what the speed limit is.

Oh, how my driving experiences would be immeasurably impoverished if I ever failed to encounter some fine fellow capable of sitting really close behind me and chivvying me along in 30mph areas, only to be unable to catch up once we hit the national speed limit. Fortunately, it's rare that I complete a journey of any reasonable distance without sampling the... delights of such an experience. Such passion, such flair, such an exemplary grasp of the finer points of driving!

And of course there's always the hope that this... talented and intelligent soul will be so overcome by their desire to travel at a steady 40mph that they'll overtake me at the most dramatic moment, slipping in front of me past the oncoming traffic in the nick of time, and slowing me down for the next four miles of main road.

Or to put it another way:

INCOMPETENT, INNUMERATE, SPUTUM-BRAINED NADHANDLERS! LEARN TO READ TWO-DIGIT NUMBERS OR GET THE FUCK OFF OUR ROADS!
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 02 Oct 2010, 13:31

Thank you for reminding me of the existence of the word 'nadhandler'.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 02 Oct 2010, 15:06

Mister Fiend wrote: Except we can't have drinks in the deli.

Oh muffin.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Oct 2010, 18:10

Mister Fiend wrote:Take a good chunk of Empath's vents about working in the deli department and slap my name on them, that will save time. But otherwise I'm enjoying being employed again. Except we can't have drinks in the deli.

Firstly, congrats. Image Working sucks, but so does unemployment, and at least you have more interesting things to complain about. :)

TangentTime™ There's one old guy that comes by every few weeks and asks for salad "...and a rum'n'coke!" :)

I always replied to him with "out the parking lot, turn right, go straight through two traffic lights and the <liquor agency store> is on your left. You CAN buy the coke here, tho!" :) (it does happen that you befriend some people over time) Best part is, a couple of years ago, the liquor agency decided to move that store into an extension of OUR supermarket so I've since been saying "through the checkouts, hang a right and all the way to the end of the hall." :mrgreen:

But back to the topic at hand: Remember that people are smarter than they appear - I believe that some weird and mild form of 'performance anxiety' affects them when you ask "Can I get you anything?" (often they'll ask the most inane questions with the most obvious answers, and when you bring them to realization, they invariably go "Oh, YEAH!" or "Of course!" or similar) Try not to give up on them too quickly (for all my snark and cynicism, I do still give a shit, more fool me)

Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) posed that people frequently lapse into and out of idiocy, due to the IMMENSE complexity of modern life and the inability of someone to be an expert on EVERYTHING.

As for my own deli experiences, it was a pretty good day with co-workers in relatively jovial moods that helped things go well.

We did have "Government Assistance" day yesterday (welfare cheques at the end of the month) so we've had a little more business than normal, and many more people asking questions on where this or that is (they don't shop as often).

...we did also have some of the chisellers - people who would grab something with an expiry date of tomorrow and ask to get it marked down (something we have been ordered to not do since April 27, 2006 - I remember the Head Office Memo Image), and one woman.

She'd put an order (last minute and not giving the 24h notice which we request both on our order website and catalog Image) for some wings. Not HOT wings, so the fry cook assumed she meant the frozen, precooked wings we reheat for the hot wings in the cafeteria and usual tray orders - we sell them at the same price 'un-reheated' in a pan you can pop straight into the oven and heat 'em up yourself.

No, that wasn't it.

We also take the leftover wings that didn't sell in the cafeteria, stick 'em in the cooler overnight and put them in cold plates the next day. The extras get packaged up cold in plastic clamshell containers and are sold a little more cheaply. I thought I'd nailed it there!

No. She wanted us to cook wings, then chill them in the cooler for an hour or two (nevermind that's insufficient time to cool them safely to below 40deg.F, and something we can get in trouble with the Health Department if we sell like that), package them in the foil pan, and YET sell them for the 'bulk leftover rate'.

"Sorry, it doesn't work that way."

She went over me to the acting Acting Manager (our old Manager got promoted, our Assistant Manager has become Acting Mngr. ... and then she went on two weeks of vacation today :) ), who backed me up completely. :mrgreen:

"...thus the Egregious Mooch has been foiled in her search for under-priced food, but she will hibernate and then return to the outside to continue her efforts in another month..." ;)

The other thing is the labels/tags on our salad case got changed to match the whole 'Gourmet Minute' 'brand' the empty suits have gotten boners for. EVERYTHING, from pizzas to sandwiches to tossed salads to Chinese food - if we prepped it in-store, it's "Gourmet Minute-" whatever.

...and that includes the potato/macaroni/coleslaw/etc in our display case.

Now I do have a legitimate gripe; the new tags have smaller text due to the added words ("Potato & Vegetable" becomes "Gourmet Minute Potato Vegetable Salad" and have to squeeze in alongside a brand logo) and much of our clientèle is older (several nursing homes within a block or two, and the suburb was built in the Fifties), so it's really not working out well. Heck, *I* have trouble reading the five-digit scale code off the back of those tags!

This said? WHY ARE YOU SPENDING TWENTY FUCKING MINUTES EXAMINING ALL THE FUCKING SALADS?!? They're the SAME DAMN SALADS as LAST WEEK and the week before and so on for YEARS!!! I know you're not in here every day (well...actually some are :roll: ) but one would THINK you'd REMEMBER the types of salads YOU REGULARLY BUY!!!!!

I'd '/ragequit' right around now, but there's something I'd been shown a few days ago and I don't wanna procrastinate and forget it:

I work for Image, founded by butcher John Sobey and nurtured by his son Frank (and antecedents) into one of the Big Two trans-national supermarket chains in Canada.

As you can see from the current company logo, the lettering is a little stylized (and has been like that for at least the last thirty years) Notice in particular that those 'S's look rather stylized and almost more like 'ornamental scroll-work' than actual letters....

Huh.
/Mal Reynolds
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 02 Oct 2010, 19:59

Huh, I had never noticed that. I guess this means the Compliments Strike Team will be killing us all before this gets out...
Whitmore

Postby Whitmore » 02 Oct 2010, 20:08

Holy Illuminati, Batman.
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 02 Oct 2010, 20:16

Huh. I had my suspicions but now you've confirmed it empath. I also work for Sobeys in the deli department, and also experience the same issues on a daily basis. I'm not sure if you work for a franchised store or coporate but I can tell you one thing.

The people at head office are absolutly the stupidest people on the planet. Every other week they change their mind about how things are supposed to "look" and when you ask why it needs to be different the only answer you get is "It's Sobeys way" So I'm not surprised when you mention the switch over to the stupid gourmet minute nonsense. (I was in charge of that in my store when it first came up a while ago)

Damned corportate suits though, if you're so bored with your job you have to come harass us at minimum wage every day maybe you deserve a paycut so we don't have to keep giving up our hours. Yes every week we have our staff hours cut because head office says so. My deartment now operates with three people behind the counter(Meat, Salad, and Hot) maximum at all times of the day. Two during breaks. And then they give us crap because the customers complain they have to wait. Well gee, do you see a problem?

Another thing that pisses me off about that store and its customers. I work in whats called an "Urban Fresh Sobeys" Basically the same shit in a downtown store with high prices. Therefore we have a different flyer than other stores such as the Sobeys Ontario stores. And yet every day I have someone yelling at me that the item they want isn't on sale at my store, meanwhile they got a flyer that belongs to a store TWO BLOCKS AWAY. Their logic? "It was delivered to my house!" Great. Now read the addresses on the flyer and go to one of THOSE stores. There is nothing I can do about it.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop here.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Oct 2010, 21:05

Next someone will come in and vent 'this stupid grocery store puts a flyer in my mail slot, I go to the store and they don't even have the same things on sale! How stupid is that!?".
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 02 Oct 2010, 21:12

Fuck sobeys.

They hired me, had me come in for training, the fired me.

No reason behind it.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Oct 2010, 21:48

I'm sure there was a reason, but I'm also sure it was a bad one. It's quite possible they just hired too many people, and you were at the bottom of the list. It might also have being intentional. In order to encourage them to hire youth, the call centers around here made a deal with the city government where they'd be given $1000 for every young person they hired. So they'd purposely hire too many people, and if not enough dropped out during training or the first couple weeks, they'd just start firing random people from that training class as soon as they got the money for them from the city.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Maerarde
First Video: An ENN episode, forgot which

Postby Maerarde » 03 Oct 2010, 07:13

That almost as awful as M$ :shock:
My Little Pony <3

Q: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A: Well a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

www.1227.com = best
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 Oct 2010, 08:21

Don't fool yourself; M$ isn't as bad as we all believe. ;)

And,

Fuck Sobeys.

They hired me, and kept me on.

No reason behind it. :P

(theDreamer? YOU were lucky!)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Oct 2010, 08:57

Maerarde wrote:That almost as awful as M$ :shock:

It's business. And those that got fired were the lucky ones.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Oct 2010, 14:06

Gods DAMN it.

Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 03 Oct 2010, 16:31

I work retail, and all you poor "S.O.Beys" (I came up with that myself. Aren't you proud of me? :P) have my sympathy. The district manager for my store, though I haven't met him, is, what we like to refer to in industry terms as, a "schmuck". A lot of the store managers have gripes about him, but probably the biggest gripe I have is that he has ABSOLUTELY ZERO experience in on-site retail. I'm serious, if on-the-job experience was measured in Kelvin, he wouldn't move at all.

Which to be honest, he needs to learn. I think that if he took two weeks and learned how to do the job of an associate and a manager of a store, he'd probably understand how things would work better. It's actually a gripe that my grandfather had when he was working before he died. He didn't like engineers because they didn't know how their designs would actually work. So one day he took one of the young gun engineers on a tour of the facility and explained how it worked, and this engineer realized that the designs he was being told to use really WOULDN'T work.

Return to “General Discussion”