Venting Thread Beta

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
gcninja

Re: Venting Thread Beta

Postby gcninja » 11 May 2011, 00:33

Also fucking ow. back right of the inside of my mouth hurts. and it pains to open it. Yawning is now a bitch if I open my mouth and I just found my lymph node under the jaw beneath it is swollen. Wonder if the infected tooth is spreading.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 11 May 2011, 01:42

There is a bruise on my right hand that I don't remember getting.

Well, that's not quite true, I have a pretty good idea. It's probably from when my housemate accidentally crushed it between two chairs as he leant forward.

Except that was like half a week ago...why did the bruise suddenly turn up now?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Mowinckel
First Video: Bump in the night

Postby Mowinckel » 11 May 2011, 03:58

Worst! trainride! ever!
First the traintrack spontaneously caught on fire (they can apparently do that when a cigarette is thrown at just the right spot and sit there for some hours to burn) so the train was 20 minutes late.
then the ticket machine does not accept my coins and the man on the train can not sell me tickets with youth discount so now i only have money to go halfway home... now I'm sitting on another island and need to get home... (thank the gods my sister lives 2 stops from there so she could help me out)

so I get home... 4 hour later than planed, and had to get early up the next morning to talk to the police... damm.
If I'm half-mad, then which do you think I consider my better half?
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 11 May 2011, 13:34

Woke up with a massive nose bleed. Mostly annoyed because I can't get back to sleep now.

Better now in almost every department EXCEPT my throat, which is getting worse. I've almost lost my voice.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 11 May 2011, 16:10

CONTENT AWARE TOOLS WHY U NO WORK?!?! /soulcrushingwork
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 11 May 2011, 18:36

In the universe's latest attempt to destroy me and stop me from reaching my goals to actually make my life suck less it saw fit to break one of the hoses on my poor car, causing the engine to overheat... while I was on the highway... in the middle of a rainstorm...

Thank the Maker I was somehow able to inch the poor car home, but I'm effectively grounded until it gets fixed. C'mon, universe, couldn't you at least wait a day or two at most until I fixed the computer that you also broke before you struck again? Or were you getting bored of twirling your nefarious little Snidley Whiplash mustache and biding your time?
ImageImageImageImage
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 11 May 2011, 22:04

If my friend doesn't stop passive-aggressively bragging about his job...I'm going to end him, I swear.
(He brings it up around 10 times a day)
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 May 2011, 22:11

How do you passive-agressively brag?
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 11 May 2011, 22:13

Man this job is pretty nice, I sure am glad I was able to get it. Something like that I would suppose.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 11 May 2011, 22:21

I would totally do that if i got a job... which I hope is soon.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 12 May 2011, 08:46

Vanguard wrote:In the universe's latest attempt to destroy me and stop me from reaching my goals to actually make my life suck less it saw fit to break one of the hoses on my poor car, causing the engine to overheat... while I was on the highway... in the middle of a rainstorm...

Thank the Maker I was somehow able to inch the poor car home, but I'm effectively grounded until it gets fixed. C'mon, universe, couldn't you at least wait a day or two at most until I fixed the computer that you also broke before you struck again? Or were you getting bored of twirling your nefarious little Snidley Whiplash mustache and biding your time?

Duct tape is your friend, my friend. Seriously. (I'm assuming its a coolant hose thats busted) Coolant hoses are low pressure thingamajigs. Building up a good layer of duct tape over a busted one will usually keep together well enough to reach a garage or parts shop to get new stuff. Putting on a new hose is probably about 5 minutes work at most.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 12 May 2011, 09:51

Phunny story, I can't tell what hose is busted. Seriously, I can't find any leaks and I don't see any damage, but there's an indicator light on that says a hose is the problem.
ImageImageImageImage
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 12 May 2011, 12:14

Trinhinn wrote:Man this job is pretty nice, I sure am glad I was able to get it. Something like that I would suppose.

This, but like several times a day, every day.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 May 2011, 16:21

And the wave, rises slowly...

...and breaks.

~Alja~
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 13 May 2011, 08:10

I lost my phone. FUUUUCKING FUCK FUCK POOPS
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 13 May 2011, 08:17

Vanguard wrote:Phunny story, I can't tell what hose is busted. Seriously, I can't find any leaks and I don't see any damage, but there's an indicator light on that says a hose is the problem.

What kind of light would that be? I only ever heard of low coolant indicators. A light actually indicating a busted hose is new to me.

Also, there's not that many coolant hoses on an engine. (2 going to the heater, 1 coming from the underside of the engine to the thermostat, one going into the radiator and one coming out of the radiator. Should be a doable job to just feel around all of them. No leaks in the hoses usually means a busted heater matrix) If there is not actually any coolant missing it could also be a stuck thermostat. That shit happens. Not really a difficult job either. (In a pinch, take thermostat out, puncture valve with a screwdriver, mount thermostat, drive happily)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 May 2011, 18:18

This has been a super rough week at work of twelve-hour days. Plus I started my scientific writing course, which was great, but meant and extra four hours not-at-home-sleeping.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 May 2011, 05:37

So due sometime between Monday and Wednesday (There's a 2-day conference inbetween that may delay hand-in time), I need to present a portfolio of programming work that was done in labs over the course of the year.

This is a summative piece of work and therefore I must a. submit something and b. achieve at least a 20% grading, else I risk not being able to complete my transfer to my new course, which will by all accounts be far superior to this farse.

We weren't told which labs were involved in this assesment so understandably my beleagered class has been at ends trying to find out which ones weren't done for whatever reason and get them done in time. Between a variety of things I'm already a week behind, but due to my autism I'm allowed a week extension virtually as writ.

Now, firstly, this is made difficult by the fact that the various labs required are just listed, without dates or week numbers, and so we basically have to hunt through our notes and the university intranet to have even the faintest idea which one is needed.

This is then made even more difficult by the course leader's homebrew script that disables viewing of lecture and tutorial notes until after a certain date...the date part of which is broken and has been all year. So whilst I can find the lab sheets, I can't view the associated lecture notes etc. that inform them and remind myself how they were intended to be approached (putting aside for the moment that I can't remember the first word of vbscript we did since it was 1 week out of 30, plus bash and PHP).

Now I've got the three different PHP script labs to get done, and I've managed to view the lecture slides...and I cannot begin to fathom what was expected of us. The first week of PHP had basic introduction with operators, switches, if/else functions, syntax etc...and the lab asks for file-writing, reading, parsing between pages...

How did someone so evidently incompetent get to be a university tutor?
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 14 May 2011, 08:10

Blowjobs. That, or nepotism. Just not both. Image
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 14 May 2011, 18:30

I can help with bash if you like. I know it can be absolutely dastardly; I spent more than a week on a simple script this semester to run a few commands and record certain outputs to a file...
...aaaanyway, I'm a Linux nerd and not the kind who insists everyone installs it LIKE RIGHT NOW OMG MICRO$OFT SUXXORZ LOL. So I'd like to help if I can.

...herp.
Nevermind. Misread your post. I don't know PHP. ;_;
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 15 May 2011, 06:21

So I'm aiming to get the 3 PHP labs done by about 8 PM today when the labs close. Fair enough, they're simplistic in nature and easily completeable with the proper notes and programs.

Oh, those notes you need to remember something you did months ago? Yeah, this neat little hiding script that keeps you from seeing lecture notes until after the lecture is a little broken and has decided to not show them. Ever.

For fuck's sake Teesside, FIRE THIS TUTOR. This tutor that is, by some small miracle, actually the same guy teaching us TO CODE.

As it stands I have the benefit of not needing to pass this assignment so much as to not fail outright. But because I can't do the code now, I have to do that much more on the pre-coding work, pseudo-code, etc. which is significantly more time-consuming.

And this is just the PHP labs I'm missing, I've still got one for VBscript, three for Bash, and another for AWK.

If I could flip the bird to an anomalous concept, I would definitely be flipping off this course.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 15 May 2011, 07:01

So they finally got rid of the last day shift person in my department. The only people now working in the freezers exclusivly are me and this other fellow. And the other fellow is on vacation.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 15 May 2011, 14:22

I'm fairly sure that my job is the reason I'm getting nose bleeds. I've been here for a little more than a year and my nose has bleed more times in that period than in the last ten years.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 15 May 2011, 14:59

How often do you usually get nosebleeds? If I started a job and got a nosebleed once it'd be more than in the last ten years.

What is your job too? Boxing coach?
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 15 May 2011, 15:21

Today's failures in Photoshop have almost gotten rid of my faith in my artistic abilities. Not that it had much work to do. I will be trying again, but I won't be expecting much.

Return to “General Discussion”