Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Myrph » 07 May 2011, 13:58

Keab42 wrote:Yes, this kinda felt a bit meh after the rush that was the previous two episodes. Still it was a reasonable plot.

I disagree with you on that one, I enjoyed the change of pace from the previous episodes. Sure fast paced action/drama is great fun, but if that was all we got every single episode, it would quickly become dry and wouldn't have the same impact that rarefying it does. That being said, I would like a few more faster paced episodes in this series, which shouldn't be too hard to achieve since we've effectively got the finale/cliff-hanger at the end of this half season, as well as the first episodes and finale of the second half.

One other thing that did rankle somewhat, after discussing the episode with my sister, was the kinda crap CPR that was performed on Rory at the end. Sure she hasn't done it before, but her technique was poor, she missed out several important parts (including holding his nose when breathing into his lungs) and then stopping for a short break before he woke up, it kinda broke the illusion of it for a brief moment, which it didn't have to, if they'd taken the effort to do it properly.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 07 May 2011, 14:04

My only real complaint is the vanishing pirate. Did the writers just forget about him? That really through me out of the story. Also, yes, space pirates.
Keelah Se'lai
Bleydh
First Video: Failure

Postby Bleydh » 07 May 2011, 15:00

I noticed that too! I wondered where the hell he went off to.
"I LIKE THE DICKS IN ALL THE FILMS"

It's pronounced Blayth
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 07 May 2011, 15:14

Is he in that last shot with all of the pirates in the ship? Did the siren get him later?

I didn't notice until you bastards pointed it out. :P
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 07 May 2011, 15:18

I was looking for him in that scene, but I couldn't see him. I think they just forgot about him.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 07 May 2011, 15:27

Myrph wrote:One other thing that did rankle somewhat, after discussing the episode with my sister, was the kinda crap CPR that was performed on Rory at the end. Sure she hasn't done it before, but her technique was poor, she missed out several important parts (including holding his nose when breathing into his lungs) and then stopping for a short break before he woke up, it kinda broke the illusion of it for a brief moment, which it didn't have to, if they'd taken the effort to do it properly.

Did they say his heart would stop when the took him out of the machine? Because I thought it would only stop his breathing and if so she wouldn't even have to do CPR, just rescue breathing (you don't need full on CPR if the heart is still beating). And yeah, her technique sucked... Why didn't the Doctor just do it? After all this time traveling in dangerous situations with humans and he never picked it up?

Ok, I don't usually like to pick on things like that, but it did bug me. Other then that I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Bleydh
First Video: Failure

Postby Bleydh » 07 May 2011, 15:30

I was a bit sceptical at first with this episode, but I really enjoyed it, bar the two things mentioned above by other people.

So far this series has been pretty darn good. Looking forward to more.
"I LIKE THE DICKS IN ALL THE FILMS"

It's pronounced Blayth
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 07 May 2011, 16:00

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed -Mr. Vanishing Pirate. That was a bit silly.

But over all I really enjoyed this episode.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 07 May 2011, 18:10

I didn't even notice the vanishing pirate I tend to not think analytically about episodes until after watching it a two or three times. As for the CPR thing I shrug those inconsistencies off. Noticed it but it didn't bother me.

Overall, I really did enjoy the episode. I appreciate an "off" episode after some intense ones.

As for next week's episode: Don't know what's going on, but my first thought was: "What the hell are you, a Thorian?"
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
korri

Postby korri » 07 May 2011, 19:31

just watched the episode again and about the missing pirate: Are you all talking about the one who runs away while they're hiding in the ammo room? Because they show him getting burned by the thing he lit on fire to see and then it goes dark and i think we're supposed to assume he got got by the siren/doctor thing when it went dark. Then at the end you see him on the ship. Or are people talking about the other pirate that got cut by Toby. Because even though they don't show him getting caught by the Siren, I think we see him at the end too.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 07 May 2011, 19:39

@Korri: Yeah, we never see that one get attacked by siren and he just appears at the end. Kind of bizarre.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 07 May 2011, 20:09

korri wrote:
Myrph wrote:One other thing that did rankle somewhat, after discussing the episode with my sister, was the kinda crap CPR that was performed on Rory at the end. Sure she hasn't done it before, but her technique was poor, she missed out several important parts (including holding his nose when breathing into his lungs) and then stopping for a short break before he woke up, it kinda broke the illusion of it for a brief moment, which it didn't have to, if they'd taken the effort to do it properly.

Did they say his heart would stop when the took him out of the machine? Because I thought it would only stop his breathing and if so she wouldn't even have to do CPR, just rescue breathing (you don't need full on CPR if the heart is still beating). And yeah, her technique sucked... Why didn't the Doctor just do it? After all this time traveling in dangerous situations with humans and he never picked it up?

Ok, I don't usually like to pick on things like that, but it did bug me. Other then that I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

Umm... I thought you also needed an electrical charge to restore a heartbeat rhythm and that CPR only keeps blood flowing long enough for medics to administer the shock
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 07 May 2011, 20:26

As for the vanishing pirate, my guess is they filmed some scene or two where he gets taken but cut it for time, That or after toby cuts him, they just never had any real use for him... i mean, the episode was pretty full as is, they don't need to add un-neccisary stuff to it now do they.

and as for the cpr, it's a show, they were just trying to build tension and make us think rory was dead, shows tend to do that, provoke an emotional response, granted it didn't work because we know rory survives, but still, the reality is alot more difficult, and besides, take it up with millions of action movies that do the same thing.

Pirates... just pirates, and for once they didn't just drop in some historical character, and i thank them for not giving us black beard or someone else as it really gets rather old after you see the first 50 people from history.

Also, i'm just gunna say it. Pirate amy = hotter than rose.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 07 May 2011, 21:02

About Rory almost dying what I really liked about it wasn't the tension they were trying to build, but the Doctor's reaction. I really enjoyed seeing him look nervous and helpless.
All in all, though you can skip over this plot-wise, I thought this episode did a great job in show casing Amy, Rory, and the Doctor's characters.
Also, the part where the Doctor kissed the TARDIS when they found it was pretty priceless.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 May 2011, 22:54

Disappearing pirate aside, this was a cool episode. But lets move on from that.

Going back to the...er one of the series 6 trailers I've determined the next episode will feature a guy with a deep voice saying "Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords." Could it be something from the Time War? I actually doubt it.

It's also possible this is the episode where the previous Tardis shows up as there's a similar golden energy orb thing that shows up in the preview.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 08 May 2011, 01:38

Time War? hrmmm That confirms it. The enemy of this season is the Could-Have-Been King.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 08 May 2011, 02:26

Who wants to bet that woman in the trailer for next week is supposed to be Romana?
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 08 May 2011, 03:12

Would like it to. I mean, it's set in a "Bubble" universe, and E-Space was collapsing, if memory serves.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 May 2011, 03:35

There will be Ood. That's legitimately all I care about right now.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 08 May 2011, 03:50

I'm really glad about the Ood are returning. They were one of my favorite races from Tensies.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 08 May 2011, 05:08

So, theorys.

Double timeline, in one amy is pregnant in the other she isn't.
Also, she is dreaming.

And last but not least, stop fucking trying to kill rory! He isn't goku, you either kill him or you don't.

korri

Postby korri » 08 May 2011, 07:10

Agloriouscuppa wrote:
korri wrote:
Myrph wrote:-snip-

Umm... I thought you also needed an electrical charge to restore a heartbeat rhythm and that CPR only keeps blood flowing long enough for medics to administer the shock

An electrical charge doesn't restart the heart like it does in the movies. You only need to spark it if it has an irregular beat to put it back into a regular rhythm.

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 May 2011, 07:59

Wikipedia wrote:Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is an emergency procedure which is performed in an effort to return life to a person in cardiac arrest. It is indicated in those who are unresponsive with no breathing or only gasps. It may be performed both in and outside of a hospital.

CPR involves chest compressions at a rate of at least 100 per minute in an effort to create artificial circulation by manually pumping blood through the heart. In addition the rescuer may provide breaths by either exhaling into their mouth or utilizing a device that pushes air into the lungs. The process of externally providing ventilation is termed artificial respiration. Current recommendations place emphasis on high quality chest compressions over artificial respirations and a method involving only chest compressions is recommended for untrained rescuers.

CPR alone is unlikely to restart the heart; its main purpose is to restore partial flow of oxygenated blood to the brain and heart. It may delay tissue death and extend the brief window of opportunity for a successful resuscitation without permanent brain damage. An administering of an electric shock to the heart, termed defibrillation, is usually needed to restore a viable or "perfusing" heart rhythm.
Rory had also, due to the siren medical systems, only been out for a matter of seconds, since he was perfectly fine and then disconnected. This probably contributed to his survival, though I was worried for a brief moment given the length of the scene
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 08 May 2011, 09:05

Gonna call this now; Rory will be the one who tells the Doctor they saw him die.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 08 May 2011, 09:10

and to follow up your call he does it because of something serious happening to amy because she can't tell him.
also, tennant next eppisode? Please let there be tennant next episode!

Return to “General Discussion”