Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Re: Doctor Who

Postby EnglishMQ » 06 Jun 2011, 08:47

And the Christmas Invasion onwards would be another slightly shorter starting point, though Ecceleston was an amazing Doctor.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 06 Jun 2011, 09:26

I'd say pick a Doctor and start there. Personally, I'd say start with 9 or 11, but 5 is my favourite.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Jun 2011, 09:28

I am going agree with everyone and say the first season of the new episodes.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 06 Jun 2011, 09:53

EnglishMQ wrote:And the Christmas Invasion onwards would be another slightly shorter starting point, though Ecceleston was an amazing Doctor.

I'd say Christmas Invasion would be a bad place to start, because you'd miss some of the Rose/Doctor/Cap'n Jack character/relationship development from the first series.
Personally, I'd say start with Matt Smith and then go back and do Eccleston and Tennant if you enjoy it.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 06 Jun 2011, 09:58

I've seen a few episodes with Tennant sporadically and quite liked it. I'll just see what I can dig up to start watching :-P.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 06 Jun 2011, 10:20

Here's something any newcomer might want to watch;
http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... 01-5123833
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
tbug

Postby tbug » 06 Jun 2011, 11:19

Drinnik wrote:No, the one with Lady Cassandra and the hospital.

This one, yes. The episode really bugged me when it aired. "You can't just teach the bodies of sick people to cure themselves by spraying them with every medicine ever! How are they communicating this information to each other by touch!? Why/how are they only a day old and re-created every day after they die!?"

They were specifically described as being The Flesh, and while I still have some questions I don't feel frustrated by the story any more. I am surprised that when Moffat decided to show the origins of The Flesh he made it about five million years before the event of New Earth, but that's a pretty minor issue.

As for the best place to start watching, I'd say either the ninth or the eleventh Doctor. I think the eighth Doctor is probably the worst place to start; you need background in the show to understand what's happening there.
Dale
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 10 Jun 2011, 03:46

tbug wrote:
Drinnik wrote:No, the one with Lady Cassandra and the hospital.

They were specifically described as being The Flesh, and while I still have some questions I don't feel frustrated by the story any more. I am surprised that when Moffat decided to show the origins of The Flesh he made it about five million years before the event of New Earth, but that's a pretty minor issue.

Really? I just thought they were straight-up test-tube babies grown from pure human DNA, whereas Flesh are fake human copies of pre-existing people and made of synthetic... stuff that imitates organic matter.

Also, in a move that will surprise absolutely no-one, the BBC have commissioned series 7 of new-Who featuring Matt Smith in all 14 episodes (presumably 13-part series + christmas special)
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 10 Jun 2011, 06:01

On facebook i think they said matt smith was going to be the doctor for 5 years or something else...

not sure what it was, but it was something.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 10 Jun 2011, 07:43

As long as someone finally outlasts Tom Baker I think we'll be alright. Things came really close with Tennant and we all remember how amazingly awesome he was, even with the spotty writing of RTD.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 10 Jun 2011, 07:57

Tom Baker was awesome too. The only Doctor to not reach Awesome was 6, and that was more to do with the writers than Colin Baker's performance.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 10 Jun 2011, 19:54

Wasn't he the one who got brought in midway through the writers going to war with the bbc?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 10 Jun 2011, 23:57

Yeah. Well, he was the Doctor during the 18 month hiatus and Trial of a Timelord.

epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 12 Jun 2011, 07:19

"Let's Kill Hitler". Greatest "Will return in" Title. EVER.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 12 Jun 2011, 07:29

Seems like a great line to just end the episode with really.

"Oh, I've overthrown an entire military base without a drop of blood spilt, and I've rescued Amy, ah but her baby was another Flesh clone and the enemy still has it and a lot of my allies have been killed by headless monks, but the baby is actually my future wife...well, let's kill Hitler!"

Also, my absolute favourite callback ally in the entire episode? "Give 'em hell, Danny Boy!" :D
Phevnil
First Video: cH- Laundry

Postby Phevnil » 12 Jun 2011, 13:41

Urgh, Space (the Canadian channel) decided to run a movie marathon over memorial weekend so that the staff could have time off. Why? Your audience is Canadian!

Anyway, I finally saw the episode last night (a week late). For once I was watching it because it was good and not because I was waiting for it to get better.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jun 2011, 14:03

Phevnil wrote:Anyway, I finally saw the episode last night (a week late). For once I was watching it because it was good and not because I was waiting for it to get better.

How did you manage to go all this time unspoiled?!

Drinnik wrote:Tom Baker was awesome too. The only Doctor to not reach Awesome was 6, and that was more to do with the writers than Colin Baker's performance.

From what I've heard, he's redeemed himself superbly in the audio dramas. Which I kind of want to listen to!

Also his outfit wasn't his fault; he wanted to be dressed in black. Luckily, there seems to be a dark blue alternate outfit that has become quite popular:

ImageImage

Which is a hell of a lot better than the eyesore he had to wear on TV, poor man.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 12 Jun 2011, 14:08

AlexanderDitto wrote:
Phevnil wrote:Anyway, I finally saw the episode last night (a week late). For once I was watching it because it was good and not because I was waiting for it to get better.

How did you manage to go all this time unspoiled?!

When I discovered that I used the intertubes to download the latest two episodes.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
tbug

Postby tbug » 14 Jun 2011, 06:07

PlasmaCow wrote:
tbug wrote:They were specifically described as being The Flesh, and while I still have some questions I don't feel frustrated by the story any more. I am surprised that when Moffat decided to show the origins of The Flesh he made it about five million years before the event of New Earth, but that's a pretty minor issue.

Really? I just thought they were straight-up test-tube babies grown from pure human DNA, whereas Flesh are fake human copies of pre-existing people and made of synthetic... stuff that imitates organic matter.

That's what I thought too, until I rewatched it. They're called The Flesh, and they die and are reborn as adults every day. The Flesh must be a little different five million years in the future, given that the Doctor needed to go back and see their roots before he could figure out what was going on with Amy.

To clarify, I'm not getting the sense that this was all meticulously planned in advance, though clearly something was going on in that episode in order for the idea of "let's mix all the medicines together in a vat and then spray it at the sick people to cure them" to have made it into the show. I do think we're supposed to think that it's the same stuff, though.
Dale
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 14 Jun 2011, 08:27

I'm just going to leave this right here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHbOc3bk0s
#TeamKroze
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Jun 2011, 08:35

Nyan TARDIS' are cool.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 15 Jun 2011, 01:09

Finally watched it a few days ago, I was very impressed with most of it. I loved the long build up, the planning and Rory being a bad ass was very satisfying instead of him just being there. Then when the Doctors plan springs into action and it looks like he has won the day you KNEW it was going to come crashing down and seeing that happen was very cool.

Matt Smith has done an excellent job as the Doctor, the range of emotion he plays into this character is astounding, also the music in this series and the last has really been one of the highlights for me.

And agreed, Lets Kill Hitler, best ending tag ever.
ebMusicMan
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby ebMusicMan » 15 Jun 2011, 02:40

I gotta say I'm loving Rory's character development, not to mention I'm glad that they're deviating from the one long term female companion with other one or two episode companions. I know it happened in the old series, but I haven't seen many episodes of the old series.

Speaking of which does anyone have a good resource to watch all the episodes of the old series that aren't lost? I know a good portion of them are on DVD, but there are still several chunks that are unavailable. When I start watching the old series I want to start with An Earthly Child and watch it all the way through in order (except for the ones that are missing of course).
PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 15 Jun 2011, 04:33

No full series for 2012. Because the BBC are being really odd with their current world number 1 brand.

Anyone else having nervous glances at Who histroy circa 1986?

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 15 Jun 2011, 04:35

I finished the first season of the new series yesterday (9th doctor/eccleston). Good times were had.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.

Return to “General Discussion”