Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Ottoman » 28 Aug 2011, 21:21

Oh yeah, I forgot; people around here are apparently incapable of picking up on dry sarcasm unless it has giant arrows pointing to it. Excuse me while I go edit that last post to make it look like someone puked on it.

EDIT: Ah, but about the regeneration thing, right. I know there are times when it doesn't work. This time just seemed odd; he can regenerate from massive radiation poisoning, but not ordinary poison? They could have at least put in a line specifying, 'oh no, this shit be super-toxic to Gallifreyans', or something.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 28 Aug 2011, 21:59

Well poison as a chemical is a very very different thing then being poisoned by radiation.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 28 Aug 2011, 22:35

Ottoman wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot; people around here are apparently incapable of picking up on dry sarcasm unless it has giant arrows pointing to it. Excuse me while I go edit that last post to make it look like someone puked on it.

EDIT: Ah, but about the regeneration thing, right. I know there are times when it doesn't work. This time just seemed odd; he can regenerate from massive radiation poisoning, but not ordinary poison? They could have at least put in a line specifying, 'oh no, this shit be super-toxic to Gallifreyans', or something.

Haha oh Ottoman you know I can't detect sarcasm.

I don't know, Doctor Who's got a pretty big budget these days, compared to the days of guys wearing cardboard boxes with pingpong balls stuck to their face being the monster of the week. Which is why I thought you were serious. Sorry! My bad.

Re: Poison, yeah, Radiation poisoning doesn't stop your heart(s), it destroys your cells. I imagine Judas tree lip balm, since it's inimical to humans, must have been specially chosen by River to be completely deadly to Time Lords.
ebMusicMan
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby ebMusicMan » 28 Aug 2011, 22:54

Also when Nine was regenerating into Ten he said "It's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're gonna end up with."

This seems to be contrary both to Romana's regenerations and to River's statement: "I'm concentrating on a dress size."
PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
tbug

Postby tbug » 28 Aug 2011, 23:15

ebMusicMan wrote:Also when Nine was regenerating into Ten he said "It's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're gonna end up with."

This seems to be contrary both to Romana's regenerations and to River's statement: "I'm concentrating on a dress size."

Yeah, but remember that as time lords go the Doctor isn't very good at it. He passed his exam with 51% on the second go. Romana was at the top of her class. No wonder she could "try on" different forms while the Doctor gets stuck with whatever randomly shows up.

I like the idea that this is the excuse they'll use to give him more regenerations. As has been pointed out, the example of the Master proves that Gallifreyans can have more than twelve, and nobody actually wants the show to end, so they just need a way to handwave it a bit. Of course, I think they'd be wrong just to ignore it, since it has been stated directly that the limit exists.
Dale
ebMusicMan

Postby ebMusicMan » 29 Aug 2011, 03:13

Maybe this is the entire reason Moff invented River in the first place :-p

I was going to make the argument that he'd have had to create a new Time Lord since there are no more in existence (besides The Master, who isn't about to give up all his regenerations for The Doctor), but then I remembered about Jenny. Speaking of The Master how did he regenerate from Prof Yana into John Simm? If the council or whatever gave him another regeneration so he would help them and then he ran away, wouldn't he still be out of regenerations?

I wish they'd do something more with Jenny since it seems she was an actual Time Lord as well, but she seems to have been completely forgotten :(
PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 29 Aug 2011, 03:33

I think she was an RTD character and the Moff doesn't seem to have any interest in bringing her back, which is disappointing because she was awesome! Although, wasn't the actress who played her the Moff's daughter?

I actually thought the female cleric from the Gamma Forest in 'A Good Man Goes to War' was jenny when the camera focused on her in the precredits. Got all excited for a mo there :P
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
James Ether
First Video: The Secret Of The Sauce

Postby James Ether » 29 Aug 2011, 04:01

Georgia Moffett, who played Jenny, is actually Peter Davidson's (of fifth Doctor fame) daughter.

I really enjoyed the episode. Confused as fuck as how the timeline is suppose to work but still loads of fun.

And Rory is becoming such a badass.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Aug 2011, 04:08

Rory has to be a bad arse after being a Roman for two Millenia.

Though how did he become human? Wibbly wobbley thingy globboly?

Also, Riversong is such a badarse actor pretending to not know Amy with their first two visits.

The rumour of Omega returning keeps becoming more and more unlikely. I highly doubt he'll come back this season. Given he's such an important character in the old show, if he does return, I think it would be after quite alot more heavily implied hints. Not just some strange coincidences. The Master return was done a little too abruptly. It was a nice shock but it's often nice to give some of the more intelligent viewers some... food for thought. Anagrams are just for people with too much time on their hands.

Edit
Think it's a coincidence that the name of one of the episodes where we first meet River is called Silence in the Libary. I know it means the Libary is quiet and Libaries ate often quiet. But it seems there's alot of silenceseseses.

Also, at the end of The Pandorica Opens it's Riversong who's in the TaRDiS when it explodes. Think when she was young she was conditioned to cause the TaRDiS to explode as a sort of fail-safe?

Edit
I've been snooping round for speculations on the interwebs and my favorate one is that it's The Doctor in the spacesuit shooting a copy of himself. He's maintaining history still happens but he's alive. Still don't get why Amy, Rory and River must watch it. It's definatly more than just for emotional support.

It seems River does indeed kill someone, or gets convicted of it. If it's River shooting the Doctor at the lake, how does she get convicted?
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 29 Aug 2011, 09:48

Jenny was actually a "Moff" character. The actress is also now married to David Tennet, which is kind of bizarre!

I, too, hope she comes back at some time.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Aug 2011, 10:00

Looking forward to next episode, it looks creepy enough to be on par with 'Blink'.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 29 Aug 2011, 10:07

Dave-O_Boy wrote:Jenny was actually a "Moff" character. The actress is also now married to David Tennet, which is kind of bizarre!

I, too, hope she comes back at some time.

he didn't write the episode though?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 29 Aug 2011, 10:54

Ah. Regardless he was the one who suggested that she be brought back to life at the end of the episode.
tbug

Postby tbug » 29 Aug 2011, 13:41

Dale
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 29 Aug 2011, 13:50

I was actually wondering about the tuxedo as well, and if this point and his timeline when he went to the wedding had anything to do with each other.
I have to say though, I was kind of disappointed by this episode, or at least the whole "Mel is River" twist. I guess there was just more potential in shock value there if we were introduced to Mel beforehand,or if she stayed in that regeneration for awhile. I don't know, I just thought that it could have been better if they had put more time into that particular twist, or if Amy and Rory had mentioned their best friend Mel beforehand. Rory punching two Nazi's in the face,though, was pretty awesome.
WBAGNR

Postby WBAGNR » 29 Aug 2011, 14:08

'Jenny', along with being the son of the fifth Doctor and married to the 10th Doctor, is also the daughter of 'Trillian' from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, apparently.

Nerdgasm

EDIT: Trillian from the TV series, not the 2006 film remake.
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 29 Aug 2011, 19:25

Ottoman wrote:Yeah, considering how outlandish their budget is, you'd expect a lot more.

LOL, silly me, I forgot the sarcasm font!!! XP What a great system though am I right?????

Yes, obviously that was the reason Moffat wrote the episode months in advance to only contain 11 locations, 3 of which had already been constructed. Let alone the fact that Doctor Who actually has a budget much higher than many shows that don't all take place in one room, but building a set isn't that expensive and if they don't have the money to build a set from scratch, most directors use existing locations. Which given an episode that doesn't take place in a giant space junkyard, is pretty easy. Take a building and hang swastikas over the sofas and you're pretty much done. I find it nearly impossible that budget was the reason why this episode didn't go anywhere.

On another note, can people please stop using the "Doctor who?/Doctor Who" joke. It's so dated I think I heard Orson Welles use it one time.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 29 Aug 2011, 20:55

Gordon Fearman wrote:On another note, can people please stop using the "Doctor who?/Doctor Who" joke. It's so dated I think I heard Orson Welles use it one time.

I'd kind of like it if it shows up exactly once in each Doctor's tenure, like a one-time-use Christmas Cracker. You know it's going to pop up somewhere, but you don't know when.

That... holy shit. Dale that link has blown my mind. Aaaaaaaah Moffat and his timey wimey I LOVE IT.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 29 Aug 2011, 21:05

AlexanderDitto wrote:I'd kind of like it if it shows up exactly once in each Doctor's tenure, like a one-time-use Christmas Cracker. You know it's going to pop up somewhere, but you don't know when.
Oh, don't mind Gordon. You know him; he hates fun. Most bad jokes are still good for a chuckle when used in moderation.

Also, the clothes thing. This is building up to a fantastic mindgasm.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 29 Aug 2011, 23:40

But if that clothing thing is true, then was he not really dying at that point? Seems like it would be too much to do with the amount of time he had left.
ebMusicMan

Postby ebMusicMan » 30 Aug 2011, 02:14

But... if he went back to the wedding... that would mean that he hadn't been at the wedding when he said the thing about how he danced with everyone at the wedding and Mel wasn't there... right? *headache*
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 30 Aug 2011, 03:58

Dave-O_Boy wrote:Ah. Regardless he was the one who suggested that she be brought back to life at the end of the episode.

In an interview Moffat said all he actually did was joke via email to RTD that they had to keep her alive because it was too obvious to just kill off and everyone would expect it, and that besides that he was uninvolved with the Jenny character.

Personally I don't think she'll be showing up in the near future.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Aug 2011, 05:25

If this season is essentially "Doctor, River. River, Doctor", I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenny later on in a "By the way, meet Jenny...my daughter" sort of scenario.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 31 Aug 2011, 15:03

Can I just question something?

Is the 13 regenerations thing not just Time Lord Mythology as opposed to actual fact? If so, would that not get around it anyway?
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Aug 2011, 15:28

Time Lord mythology is largely considered Time Lord fact.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “General Discussion”