Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Myrph » 01 Oct 2011, 12:51

Currently only 4 minutes in, but all I can think about currently is Sorceress Ultemicia has acheived time compression!!
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 01 Oct 2011, 13:09

I loved Amy's face at the end when she realised and said aloud that she was now The Doctor's mother in law. :lol:
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 01 Oct 2011, 13:12

I thought the episode was alright. If it hadn't had the huge re-cap with the Tesselecta at the beginning it would have come as more of a surprise.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Myrph

Postby Myrph » 01 Oct 2011, 13:39

The Jester wrote:I loved Amy's face at the end when she realised and said aloud that she was now The Doctor's mother in law. :lol:

That bit was utterly brilliant. So good!

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, the whole thing was great fun, although the pit of sentient skulls was less unnerving that it was perhaps trying to be.

The First Question, however, as soon as it was first mentioned in the crypt, it was completely obvious what it was, however it doesn't detract from how awesome it will be to see how they resolve it (presumably at the end of the next season?)!!
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 01 Oct 2011, 13:50

So are Amy and Rory coming back in the next season? And is the River Song storyline completely done then?

It seems like they could be
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 01 Oct 2011, 13:53

I liked the bit when Amy killed what's her face. That was cool
Keelah Se'lai
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 01 Oct 2011, 14:05

korri wrote:So are Amy and Rory coming back in the next season? And is the River Song storyline completely done then?

Amy is definitely confirmed for the next season. Also I doubt they get rid of River Song entirely, I'm sure they could work her into episodes if they wanted to.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Oct 2011, 14:28

Certainly sets up for an interesting next series, although Moffat is basically telling us that when the plot starts heading towards that place (can't remember the name) then Smith is leaving, "The Eleventh will fall"

I'm glad I was wrong about it being a flesh Doctor but the Tesselector was similar, so I wasn't far out.

I loved the line "Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill returned to Buckingham Palace today on his personal Mammoth".
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 01 Oct 2011, 14:32

I love the fact they got the same actor to play Charles Dickens for that short cameo.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Oct 2011, 18:01

korri wrote:So are Amy and Rory coming back in the next season? And is the River Song storyline completely done then?

It's not. When we first me River in the 2 parter all those years ago she said that the last time she saw the Doctor before meeting Tennant he cried because he knew she was going to die. She will still be around, maybe they'll push her towards the twelve Doctor for her final encounter.

It was a good get out clause for the Doctor but I feel a little empty when I called it when you first met the little people inside the robot taking his place
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 01 Oct 2011, 18:55

Dave-O_Boy wrote:I love the fact they got the same actor to play Charles Dickens for that short cameo.

Me too! And unless I was mistaken, was that Katie Couric in the news thing too?
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 01 Oct 2011, 21:49

korri wrote:
Dave-O_Boy wrote:I love the fact they got the same actor to play Charles Dickens for that short cameo.

Me too! And unless I was mistaken, was that Katie Couric in the news thing too?

Meredith Viera. Apparently the Today Show sent people around the world as part of some visiting newscaster thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89bRg50io9M

And the 'second part' of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8GpxaDgTk
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Oct 2011, 00:19

I'm a bit disappointed nothing really came of that distress call part on top of the pyramid. Other than that not a bad ep. Not as strong as some of the others though, I have to say.

Nice to see all the cameos though (Dickens, Silurian doctor etc.)

Oh yeah why was that dalek silver/grey and not red/yellow/any of the others?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Oct 2011, 02:21

Geoff_B wrote:
Oh yeah why was that dalek silver/grey and not red/yellow/any of the others?

Timey wimey wibbly wobbly.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Oct 2011, 04:38

That was dissapointing.
The epitome of anti-climactic in my view.

The best parts were the doctor talking to winston, and the first time you seen winston with the gun in his hand you just knew the silents were coming.

Then more rather boring talking... all that talk and it went...Nowhere? Yes, river loves the doctor, yes, river screwed with things... Yes, the doctor lives. WE KNOW.

Then the scene on the top of the pyramid... All of his friends from all of time trying to help....and moving on, no reason to mention anymore of that.

And... Were they trying to make it a big mystery what the question was? I mean, really now. If you didn't know that the first question that must never be answered was what is the doctors name the first time it was refrenced, then you weren't paying attention.

Though, the one thing i do like, is that the doctor seems to be refrencing Rose more and more nowdays. The other week she was a smiluation in the tardis as he died, now he is thinking that he could be off helping her with her homework. Good to know he can actually remember his past companions.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Oct 2011, 05:55

I wasn't disappointed by the finale as I expected said things would happen (not the details but the overall thing).

It was a character developement episode...
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Oct 2011, 06:39

And that's my problem with it.

You don't build up a giant suspenseful season of 12 episodes and then, with the biggest cliff-hanger you've ever had turn around and go "Right, let's build on the doctor and rivers relationship, everything else can sit in the back for this one."

Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 02 Oct 2011, 07:40

Well, clearly they did. We'll see how it pans out.

I can't say I wasn't a little bit disappointed in the lack of an ending, but at this point, I trust Moffat to make it work. Dat arc.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Oct 2011, 07:53

The ending was great though :D

Doctor Who?

Doctor WHO?

DOC-TOR-WHO?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 02 Oct 2011, 07:54

I quite liked it. Not the best episode this series, but for the first time in ages I haven't wanted to punch River every time she's on screen.

I'm also now hyped for Bill Bailey in the Christmas special.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Oct 2011, 09:10

Geoff_B wrote:The ending was great though :D

Doctor Who?

Doctor WHO?

DOC-TOR-WHO?

That made me facepalm.
It seemed... Like forced comedy to me, i don't mean to be completely negative on this episode... But couldn't they have avoided using the shows name? The question that people have been joking about for years. The very same joke that even Martha Jones made repeatedly for the first three episodes she was in. Couldn't they have just had it be something worded differently? "Doctor, who are you really." for instance.

Though i will admit, i chuckled when i heard him saying that, but them immediately groaned.

iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 02 Oct 2011, 09:29

I really like how the story arcs are working under moffat.

Each episode (or double episode) has it's own story arc, but they're all connected in a series by an over-arching story (the cracks in the universe, the death of the doctor), but even those series are connected by the silence and their war on the doctor, all of which is building towards the big event at the very end of Smith's tenure (the fall of the eleventh). It's really good plot development.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Oct 2011, 10:37

I do some-what prefer the over-arching plot lines that don't get resolved in one series opposed to RTD's resolved in a series (and then try to tie up all lose ends in the final tennant episode but forgetting to explain Bad Wolf in a good way).

Stops the show having a "storyline a series" format to it inclusive to the "moster of the week" format it has already.

I want them to bring back more old enemies. I'm always facinated to see how they've been ruined/improved since the old series. I hope the Silence aren't the new Daleks.
I want them to explain why the Silence wear suites.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 02 Oct 2011, 10:44

I thought it was, on the whole, quite good. Fast paced, punchy, funny dialog, action-y, the Doctor being his usual crazy amazing self (though honestly that is the least convincing beard I've ever seen on anyone, surely they can get a beard that looks more realistic than that!) and it was all executed nicely. I like the end-of-series callbacks to previous series (Charles Dickens!) because they weren't terribly stupid and poignant and forced, just little touches here and there, nothing huge.

Geoff_B wrote:I'm a bit disappointed nothing really came of that distress call part on top of the pyramid.

I have a feeling that's not the last we're going to hear of that... I'm sure it's going to have some consequences....

And if it doesn't, well, River and Amy's efforts came to naught. Not every plan works out. Sometimes they fizzle.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I do some-what prefer the over-arching plot lines that don't get resolved in one series opposed to RTD's resolved in a series

This. This so much. I hated RTD's treating every series as a separate bit, and at the end everything is wrapped up and you forget all about it forever. The Doctor's adventures continue, people still have memories of those events, but they're never mentioned again? It's ridiculous. It should be messier than that. I like Moffat's way better.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I want them to explain why the Silence wear suites.

Not everything has to be explained. I think it's creepier if they don't explain it.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 Oct 2011, 11:49

I enjoyed it. My friend said it was so bad that he missed RTD. *shrug*
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”