Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Ahlir » 01 Nov 2011, 15:29

[quote="Fayili" Also, why "thou"... sorry to point it out, but it's been bugging me. Is it a regional thing, or are you leaving of the "gh" just because?[/quote]

I'm slightly dyslexic and have always had horrid spelling. So I started writing "thou" as I kept forgetting how "though" was spelt. And yes it has become a force of habit. I can start writing it full if you want.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 01 Nov 2011, 15:32

Bwaha. Yuki should definitely be the next Doctor. It'd be wonderfully surreal.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 01 Nov 2011, 15:33

I always though Jon Culshaw should be the next Doctor. That would be awesome :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 01 Nov 2011, 16:03

LogicSword wrote:Bwaha. Yuki should definitely be the next Doctor. It'd be wonderfully surreal.

As much as I like Yuki, I think Mikuru would make a better Doctor. She does have some time traveling experience.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 01 Nov 2011, 16:29

John Culshaw has already been the Doctor hasn't he? [/sarcasm]
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 01 Nov 2011, 22:21

Ottoman wrote:
Tate / Donna

Ottoman, you never have discussions. In discussions people are allowed to have differing opinions without someone making an ad hominem.
Last edited by Gordon Fearman on 02 Nov 2011, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 02 Nov 2011, 00:49

nonjabiru wrote:
LogicSword wrote:Bwaha. Yuki should definitely be the next Doctor. It'd be wonderfully surreal.

As much as I like Yuki, I think Mikuru would make a better Doctor. She does have some time traveling experience.

Mikuru's too ditsy. It's like what Doctor Who would have been like if Martha had been the Doctor in series 3 instead of the assistant. Only worse.

That and I'm in love with Yuki.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Nov 2011, 06:12

LogicSword wrote:That and I'm in love with Yuki.

As is everyone who's seen the dissapearance.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 02 Nov 2011, 08:30

Which I haven't yet. Waiting for the DVD to come out.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Nov 2011, 09:15

I seen it awhile back, entire thing WAS on youtube in HD. Not sure if it still is, but god damn that movie is sad.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 02 Nov 2011, 11:21

Why can't I, hold all these tears?

But honestly, I think you know that Okab^H^H^H^H Hououin Kyouma is the only logical choice.
Runers-up: Akemi Homura and Gene Starwind.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Nov 2011, 17:57

tbug wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:I just had a thought. With the outcome of "Let's Kill Hitler", does the Doctor have another ten regenerations on top of his remaining two to play with?

That's been my assumption. I think that everyone wants the show to continue, so having a handwavy solution that basically says "Yay, we don't have to cancel because of a throw-away line from the seventies!" makes a lot of sense to me. :D

Huh, hadn't really occurred to me, I simply assumed that Rivers regeneration energy was expended bringing the Doctor back from being stone dead. But that's an interesting possibility and an option they could frame as taking the Doctor himself by surprise when he expects his final death.
As for the show continuing beyond "The Doctor" if he does die permanently after 13 bodies, I'd quite like to see Jenny take up the mantle - not necessarily the same actress (although there's nothing wrong with Georgia Moffett), they did suggest it was maybe possible that she could regenerate, although she was revived from the gunshots by the genesis device's techno-voodoo as far as we can gather.
tbug

Postby tbug » 03 Nov 2011, 06:11

PlasmaCow wrote:As for the show continuing beyond "The Doctor" if he does die permanently after 13 bodies, I'd quite like to see Jenny take up the mantle - not necessarily the same actress (although there's nothing wrong with Georgia Moffett), they did suggest it was maybe possible that she could regenerate, although she was revived from the gunshots by the genesis device's techno-voodoo as far as we can gather.

Didn't they make a point in The Doctor's Daughter of reminding us that Ten's hand grew back? I thought that they were pointing out that in the first day or so of a new body a Time Lord can repair certain injuries, and my assumption had been that this was why Jenny got better. (The Genesis Device could have been responsible too; I had just assumed otherwise.)

I'd love to see Jenny back, but I just don't see the Beeb permanently getting rid of the Doctor, particularly not as a result of a line that was only put into The Deadly Assassin to give the Master motivation to help the Time Lords. (Note that he ended up with more regenerations, too.)
Dale
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 Nov 2011, 09:50

What is all this animu discussion doing in my Doctor Who thread?! Out, out, all of you! Shoo! Scatter!

I'm sure some clever writer will come up with a story or set of stories that fixes the whole regeneration problem when it comes up. That's the great thing about wibbly wobbly. It always fixes itself.

I hope Jenny comes back at some point, or gets some spinoff novels or something. It'd be fun. Though that episode wasn't terribly good anyway. :(

Wish Peter Davidson were a bit more trim, it'd be fantastic to have some more Fifth Doctor adventures, and he still looks the part, and I suspect he and Jenny working together would be rollicking fun if a little weird, but he needs to be able to fit into his cricket uniform again....

I've heard there's a new Doctor Who game out that you can download from the BBC website? Is this true? Something about Guy Fawkes day....
Fezzul

Postby Fezzul » 03 Nov 2011, 10:46

Well, if they're finishing off the Sarah Jane Adventures, then the 'Jenny Who Adventures' could work as a kids' series... Jenny is basically a big, very attractive, kid anyway, so she could work as a children's protagonist.

S'just a thought. Mainly cause Gerogia Moffett made me forget about all other women in the world for about 4-5 months after 'The Doctor's Daughter' aired, so I wouldn't be averse to seeing her again.

As for the Doctor's life counter... there are a million and one ways to get around it. Hell, the Master has already taken Tremas' body and turned in to a snake-thing (Yes, it's canon) in order to survive beyond his life cycle.

Then we get in to 'Deadly Assassin' where the artifacts of Rassilon can apparently replenish a life-cycle, and, of course, 'The Five Doctors' where the Time Lords offer the Master a new set of lives.

Also, given that the Time Lords are gone now, a lot of the old rules have stopped applying... or can at least be bent.

Yes, there are ways around it.
ad134

Postby ad134 » 03 Nov 2011, 14:55

Fezzul wrote:S'just a thought. Mainly cause Gerogia Moffett made me forget about all other women in the world for about 4-5 months after 'The Doctor's Daughter' aired, so I wouldn't be averse to seeing her again.

This so much. Normally I frown at people who watch things solely because of who is in it and not because it's any good, but if there was a Jenny spinoff, I would watch it regardless of quality...

I'm so shallow <_<
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 07 Nov 2011, 16:42

tbug wrote:Didn't they make a point in The Doctor's Daughter of reminding us that Ten's hand grew back? I thought that they were pointing out that in the first day or so of a new body a Time Lord can repair certain injuries, and my assumption had been that this was why Jenny got better. (The Genesis Device could have been responsible too; I had just assumed otherwise.)

They may well have done, it's been a long while since I've seen that episode.

It's just as well Tennant's gone now though if Jenny were to reappear as played by Georgia Moffett, what with those two now being engaged and with a kid, might be a bit odd if they had to play father and daughter on set =P
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Nov 2011, 01:08

Also don't forget there's that gap between The God Complex and Closing Time (about 200 years I believe). I think a couple of series could safely be slotted in there.

tbug

Postby tbug » 10 Nov 2011, 07:16

True enough, Geoff, but that won't help if/when Matt Smith quits. I get the impression that RTD and Moffat think that the limit on regenerations is just a big pain that they'd happy to see disappear. If Melody added nine or ten to the Doctor, then so much the better.
Dale
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 10 Nov 2011, 12:27

True. It'll be interesting to see what rabbit they pull out of the hat to explain it.

On another subject I wouldn't mind knowing if Moffat has an idea of what The Answer is going to be or if he's just left The Question for someone else to deal with.

Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 10 Nov 2011, 15:22

Geoff_B wrote:True. It'll be interesting to see what rabbit they pull out of the hat to explain it.

On another subject I wouldn't mind knowing if Moffat has an idea of what The Answer is going to be or if he's just left The Question for someone else to deal with.

I think if they EVER answer that question, it would signal the end of the series. I really hope they never do.
#TeamKroze
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 10 Nov 2011, 15:48

I agree with what other people have been saying, that it would mean the end of 11, but now that they've spent an entire series seeding it they have to pay it off at some point.

Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 10 Nov 2011, 16:44

Geoff_B wrote:I agree with what other people have been saying, that it would mean the end of 11, but now that they've spent an entire series seeding it they have to pay it off at some point.

They spent an entire season seeding that if he ever answered the question, all of existence would go boom... I don't think they have to say his name. I think they just need to have more conflict about it :P
#TeamKroze
Fezzul

Postby Fezzul » 10 Nov 2011, 16:59

I'm still waiting for the Pay-Off on the double Doctor/Jo appearance in Day of the Daleks.

That was in the 70s...

You can keep a thread going for a while in Who.
tbug

Postby tbug » 13 Nov 2011, 13:15

That's the one about the Dalek occupation of Earth in the 22nd century, right? Where the Doctor actually enjoyed wine? Please remind me how the double Doctor/Jo took place.
Dale

Return to “General Discussion”