Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Re: Doctor Who

Postby LogicSword » 30 Mar 2013, 15:48

This episode was fantastic. High hopes for the rest of the series.

tbug wrote:Oi! Spoilers!

To answer your question, that particular Doctor/companion combination is a favourite of many people (admittedly not me), and its return will possibly bring in some of those viewers who stopped watching between series four and series five. At least, the Beeb presumably hopes it will.

Apologies, it was from the official Doctor Who Facebook page so I assumed it was safe.

And I know why they're doing it, doesn't mean I'm happy about it :P
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Mar 2013, 15:51

Plot was a bit too similar to The Idiot's Lantern for my liking, and it kind of felt they were trying to shoehorn as many in jokes as they could but yeah it felt better than the previous few episodes.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 30 Mar 2013, 16:28

our family laughed when the doctor and the evil corp had a 'type-off' and pointless code appeared on the screen in ghost floaty text

I thought it was good.

I thought the the reveal that evil woman was used by the GI when she was a little girl was chilling

I felt The doctor trying to get into Oswin's life at the start was creepy. I appreciated Oswin's realistic's response of 'get the f away from me'

Speculation: Looks like that this Clara could be the Dalek Clara. The birth of the name 'Oswin' and Computer knowledge
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 30 Mar 2013, 16:33

I liked it. The story definitely had some strong points, though I don't think it was as strong as it could have been for what is technically a series opener. However, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Doctor/Clara dynamic.

Did anybody else spot who the author of the novel was?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 30 Mar 2013, 21:54

The story wasn't terribly deep, and there was way too much of the "type-off" competition, but the characters basically carried it. The Doctor and Clara are fun to watch and have a great dynamic. And the ending was chilling.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Mar 2013, 22:31

Geoff_B wrote:Plot was a bit too similar to The Idiot's Lantern for my liking, and it kind of felt they were trying to shoehorn as many in jokes as they could but yeah it felt better than the previous few episodes.

I was definitely reminded of that episode when I saw the previews, and yeah, the episode was pretty much a re-write of that. Could have gone worse though.

Much of the plot was a bit thin, and I'm certainly no fan of "Hollywood Hacking". That said, those scenes (and stealing people's brains through wifi) were at least vague enough to not cause me to rage too badly.

The characters and the dialogue was good though, and it's always nice to see the Doctor pull out a new trick or two. It was a fun episode, with a punching conclusion and reveal at the end.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tbug

Postby tbug » 30 Mar 2013, 22:36

Keab42 wrote:Did anybody else spot who the author of the novel was?

Yes, but I'm not sure what (if anything) the title means. "Summer Falls."
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Mar 2013, 00:39

The reason why The Doctor was in the monastery was because in the Prelude, he met Clara (he didn't know who she was) and she told him that she "goes to a quiet place and think" if she lost something.

Also it's nice that we have a companion that seems to be happy in her family. She has a mum who we assume is still alive and as we know not much about her family, it's all pretty nice and normal. She's in an abnormal circumstance of being a young nanny due to the kindness of her heart.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 31 Mar 2013, 01:33

it would seem that Moffatt is as computer illiterate as Clara at the start, because 'for the win', bebo, myspace and habbo are all oooooooold references. 2003 called...

other than that and the hollywood hacking, I really enjoyed the episode. the plot was a little weak I felt, but the characters and the doctor/clara interactions really sold it, and it was really well written. I loved the Bells of St John reveal. very clever.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 31 Mar 2013, 05:19

I'm intrigued to find out who "the woman in the shop" was that gave Clara the number of the "the best helpline out there, best in the universe".
Nice to see the Great Intelligence returning more than once. Although it didn't really make any sense at the start that the Spoonhead came from upstairs, how'd it get there in the first place?

Looking forward to how the remains of the series pans out.
Also, I remain not a fan of the new intro sequence, it just looks a bit of a mess to me, the time tunnel in it's various forms made sense, this is just "woo lets chuck in all our fancy effects"
Last edited by PlasmaCow on 31 Mar 2013, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 31 Mar 2013, 05:54

Loving the Hitchiker's Guide reference early on:

"I can't fly the plane, can you?"
"No"
"Fine, let's do it together"
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 31 Mar 2013, 06:07

'Summer Falls' by Amelia Williams is going to be released by the BBC this Thursday apparently.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Mar 2013, 06:28

Chapter 11 will make you shed tears apparently...
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Mar 2013, 07:21

PlasmaCow wrote:Also, I remain not a fan of the new intro sequence, it just looks a bit of a mess to me, the time tunnel in it's various forms made sense, this is just "woo lets chuck in all our fancy effects"

Eeyup me too. It just reminds me too much of the Blakes 7 opening with all the planets whizzing past.

tbug

Postby tbug » 31 Mar 2013, 07:42

I guess it's finally time to bite the bullet and watch the fan recreations of The Abominable Snowmen and The Web of Fear. Anyone done this yet?
Dale
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Mar 2013, 07:54

Well maybe the BBC will release versions that fill in the missing episodes with animations a la The Invasion :D

tbug

Postby tbug » 31 Mar 2013, 09:20

Maybe, but given that each of them only has one surviving episode out of six I think that it won't be any time soon. Given that they're the only appearance of the current Big Bad before this series I'm going to knuckle down and slog through them.

Here's hoping you're right, regardless.
Dale
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 31 Mar 2013, 10:48

I know I've watched those a few years ago, but I probably need to rewatch them soon.

Also, I agree on Moffat not being very strong in the computer department.

"You made a Twitter joke? You must be a computer genius!". Yeah, that was a bit weak.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Milo_Xaben
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Milo_Xaben » 31 Mar 2013, 11:13

Yeeah, I've been into DW for the past couple years, watched everything from Chris up to Matt's beginning episodes. I really couldn't handle much of Amy and Rory, but I like this Clara Oswin Oswald character. This is nice!
Check these for more info!:
DeviantArt Page: http://felineshadowdancer.deviantart.com/
Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/felinealchemist
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Mar 2013, 12:40

tbug wrote:Maybe, but given that each of them only has one surviving episode out of six I think that it won't be any time soon. Given that they're the only appearance of the current Big Bad before this series I'm going to knuckle down and slog through them.

Here's hoping you're right, regardless.

All it takes is one person having recordings sitting and gathering dust in their attic/shed/whatever - it's how they were able to do episodes 1 and 4 of The Invasion.

Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 31 Mar 2013, 12:48

The BBC has audio for all the missing episodes.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

tbug

Postby tbug » 31 Mar 2013, 15:14

Yes. The fan reconstructions use the actual audio from the stories, and have pictures of the sets and actors. There are also sometimes stage directions when it's not clear from the audio what's going on.
Dale
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 31 Mar 2013, 15:58

Well, that was entertaining.
I think that the comparison to The Idiot's Lantern is fairly excusable. I just think that Moffat is on an indefinitely long mission to make the DW audience terrified of everything.
I do like it when Steve does domestic episodes though. Lovely excuse for banter. :P

Favourite line: Did you even hear the word "anti-grav"?

The Moffat Signature Cringe Moment: The reveal that the woman was just a small child when she started working for the Great Intelligence.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Apr 2013, 02:17

Moffat seems to like children doesn't he?
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 01 Apr 2013, 03:15

Moffat has always been outspoken that he feels the show should be family oriented but scary for kids - the best way to do that is involve children in the plot. Nothing wrong with it in my books.

Also, I don't know why the reveal about Ms Kislet would be cringeworthy, seems par for the course with for the Great Intelligence.

Return to “General Discussion”