Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
gcninja

Re: Doctor Who

Postby gcninja » 26 May 2013, 02:57

http://i.imgur.com/9th5OP3.jpg
funny, but don't click less you've seen the last episode
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
ChibiLeen
First Video: Unskippable, "Bayonetta"

Postby ChibiLeen » 26 May 2013, 06:58

Ooooh, there's a Doctor Who thread! <3 Looking forward to reading through this. ^^ I'm mainly a New-Whovian, but I'm interested in Classic Who as well (haven't had much opportunity to watch more than a couple of episodes so far, though).
tbug

Postby tbug » 26 May 2013, 07:50

Welcome! Be advised that there are generally spoilers in this thread for whatever's already aired, so if you're still working your way toward the recent finale ("The Name of the Doctor") then proceed with caution.
Dale
ChibiLeen
First Video: Unskippable, "Bayonetta"

Postby ChibiLeen » 26 May 2013, 10:50

Thank you for the warning. :) I've seen everything that has been aired since the 2005 reboot - including the season 7 finale - so I can safely read/discuss everything related to New Who. I hope I'll have some time to watch more of the classic series this summer. I've seen a few episodes with Tom Baker and the movie with Paul McGann, but that's about it.
tbug

Postby tbug » 27 May 2013, 22:26

Then you can safely say that you've seen everything since the 1996 reboot. :)
Dale
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 29 May 2013, 01:11

Unless you count the Big Finish and Comic and Novel extended universes. Although they are more and more being regarded as their own canon...
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
tbug

Postby tbug » 29 May 2013, 05:08

If you're counting novels and such then that issue exists regardless of whether you're starting in 1996 or 2005.

On the subject of separate Doctor Who continuities, we watching the Rifftrax of Dr. Who and the Daleks last night, starring the late, great Peter Cushing as Dr. Who. I think this was the way to watch this gem, and I was thoroughly entertained. Anyone else here seen it (with or without the Rifftrax)?
Dale
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 29 May 2013, 20:17

Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 29 May 2013, 21:01

Great, now I have to buy a new monitor...
Seriously, that is one creepy prank to play on people.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Jun 2013, 13:15

Speculation that Matt Smith is leaving after the Christmas Special is cropping up.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 13:23

but then who will doctor?!
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Jun 2013, 13:26

it would make sense given that the plot of the 50th special deals with the fact that Matt Smith is apparently 12th doctor and not the 11th. Moffat specifically mentioned having to worry about running out of regenerations. Plus Smith is starting tone offered film roles in the US, his career is really only just starting.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 13:37

Well that's what I thought, that the number system is off, but that would shift so much would it not and mess up the script? Is it his biggest secret that he's already done rather than what he's done?
I thought Smith himself said that he was signed on til 2014? Did he mean the end of 13 then?

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 01 Jun 2013, 13:42

Not speculation.

This is... interesting, especially with what Hurt Doctor does or doesn't mean, it's certainly implying that John Hurt isn't the next doctor (both in world and in the Moffat interview part of that article).

I'm a little surprised, I thought he'd do 2014 before calling it a day really.

As for who are new doctor will be? RAMPANT SPECULATION AND MEANINGLESS BOOKIES ODDS!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Jun 2013, 13:42

Well given the date of the 50th special, the only other Who we'll get this year will be that and the Christmas Special. 2014 series would likely air about this time, so it does give them time to find a new actor. Maybe the slightly longer break has given Smith time to think.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Jun 2013, 13:46

Imagine if they had a big actor like Patrick Stewart as the Doctor.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 13:47

Who will play the final Doctor. They'd have to be cheerful and almost childish with a nice serious side. Sir Ian McKellan! Or Patrick Stuart!

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 01 Jun 2013, 13:48

Ian McKellan would be... so unbelievably awesome it's unreal, if he can hold up to the physical side o things
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Jun 2013, 14:07

I think I'd like to see them cast an older actor again.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Jun 2013, 14:24

Looks confirmed. BBC moves fast when rumour abounds: http://www.nerdist.com/2013/06/breaking ... octor-who/
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 01 Jun 2013, 14:26

Keab42 wrote:I think I'd like to see them cast an older actor again.

Funnily enough Moffat has said that they were going to do this last time around but Matt Smith gave such a great audition that they cast him instead. I do think an older, more paternal Doctor would be an interesting change though.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Jun 2013, 14:38

I would prefer an older Doctor.
I would also like if they allowed Women to audition to. I don't want just a woman doctor. I want the potential that if a female actor shines in the role during the audition the most, the Doctor could be a woman.

I expect the next Doctor will be a not-well-known actor.
David Tennant wasn't known well before (he did bits and Cassanova) and Smith was a nobody.
The advantage of a nobody being the Doctor is that you have no preconceptions.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Jun 2013, 14:58

Older... but unknown? Hmm.. that'll be a tough one I'm sure. Then adding in the woman part will make it doubly so.

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Jun 2013, 15:09

I love that the 12 regenerations thing is so strongly held by the community even though it all stems from one line of dialog when hundreds of other "one off" pieces of lore are just ignored and forgotten to be replaced by other bits of lore later.

I would love to see it happen that the doctor just keeps going with just a casual nod and a wink like a line of dialog of the next doctor saying "well I am the 16th version of myself lets see where this life takes me"

Doctor Who is FAR to big a money maker for the BBC to let it die because some writer in the 70's wanted a plot twist.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 01 Jun 2013, 15:30

Ah, but they're too into continuity at this point not to hold it up, I reckon they'll have the doctor find another timelord who's either been stuck in conscious suspended animation/a timeloop and grown tired of life or gone mad and the doctor cures him or something in a similar vein and they'll 'bestow' their remaining regenerations onto the doctor in gratitude and sacrifice themselves, they've already established that he can direct that energy externally.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.

Return to “General Discussion”