Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Dec 2013, 06:38

Jon Pertwee's brother is Bill Pertwee who starred in Dad's Army.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
tbug

Postby tbug » 03 Dec 2013, 11:20

She played Prisoner Zero in The Eleventh Hour.
Dale
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 03 Dec 2013, 14:44

Nice wee video of the staff at Milk visual effects studio talking through the various effects they did for the Day of the Doctor.

And yeah, Olivia Coleman is a highly regarded actress in the UK these days after several years as a comedic actress in great shows like Green Wing, Peep Show and Twenty Twelve, she's launched to the drama A-list with her starring roles in Accused and Broadchurch (opposite David Tennant as it happens). Earlier this year she won 2 BAFTAs at the TV awards for best supporting actress (Accused) and best female comedy performance (Twenty Twelve).
She's also known for just about always being in employment and being very very humble and down to earth, as evidenced in her two BAFTA acceptance speeches.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 03 Dec 2013, 14:51

Hey, so something I forgot to say in my previous post: Seasons = Classic, Series = New.
What I usually do is use "Series" when referring to new Who, and "Classic Seasons" when referring to classic Who. If I refer to new as "Seasons", I correct myself(But only if it is not clear if I'm referring to classic or new).

Also, Five(ish) Doctors Reboot is awesome. :) I saw it on Red Button after watching DotD with a few friends, and we all enjoyed it. Something a friend pointed out is that it works especially well since Sylvester McCoy is a comedy actor.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Dec 2013, 15:16

PlasmaCow wrote:Nice wee video of the staff at Milk visual effects studio talking through the various effects they did for the Day of the Doctor.

But they didnt say who came up with the idea of the crashed Tartises Tardisie Tardiss...
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 04 Dec 2013, 04:33

Moffat probably put it in the script, I don't think that's the kind of the the visual effects team would have any control over, seeing as those were physical sets.

Also, the BBC just posted a teeny-tiny behind the scenes clip from Night of the Doctor
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 04 Dec 2013, 16:05

Seeing that video brings out my hope that another company(Or perhaps another part of the BBC?) starts a Doctor Who spinoff series starring Paul McGann as the Doctor. Perhaps they could have Russel T. as the showrunner?

Yeah, I know this is unlikely, but I can dream, can't I?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Dec 2013, 16:40

Robo4900 wrote:Seeing that video brings out my hope that another company(Or perhaps another part of the BBC?) starts a Doctor Who spinoff series starring Paul McGann as the Doctor. Perhaps they could have Russel T. as the showrunner?

I think it's super, SUPER dumb that Moffat made a past inbetween Doctor, when the eighth Doctor is sitting there, unused.

Why they don't make a series with the Eighth Doctor is beyond me.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Dec 2013, 20:36

AlexanderDitto wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Seeing that video brings out my hope that another company(Or perhaps another part of the BBC?) starts a Doctor Who spinoff series starring Paul McGann as the Doctor. Perhaps they could have Russel T. as the showrunner?

I think it's super, SUPER dumb that Moffat made a past inbetween Doctor, when the eighth Doctor is sitting there, unused.

Why they don't make a series with the Eighth Doctor is beyond me.

*sigh* Just close your eyes...

True; purists can say "it's not prime canon", but just think Moffat is just so much of a loyal fan to not symbolically turn to Paul, Big Finish et al. and say "You know all that stuff you've done? All the stories you slaved over to write, create and tell? Yeah, that shit doesn't matter; I'm going to wipe it all away and write over it."

...'cause, you know, that wouldn't be something a GENUINELY decent person would do, even if they were totally allowed to.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 04 Dec 2013, 20:53

In 'Night of the Doctor', Moffat effectively made all of the Big Finish stories canonical.

In it Eight drinks a toast to all his companions, which he lists. This list includes all the companions he traveled with in the Big Finish stories. This makes all of the Eighth Doctor stories canonical. Several of these stories tie in with the continuities of other Doctors' stories in the Big Finish universe (Zagreus, to name one, features a whole lot of Doctoring continuity). That links the Eighth Doctor Big Finish continuity to the canon of every other Big Finish Doctor. Therefore, all of Big Finish can now be considered canonical with the TV Series.

Aside from causing a whole load of contradictions, I think it proves quite definitively that Moffat is a fan of the work that Big Finish does and thinks it has value.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Dec 2013, 23:38

Fezzul wrote:In 'Night of the Doctor', Moffat effectively made all of the Big Finish stories canonical.

In it Eight drinks a toast to all his companions, which he lists. This list includes all the companions he traveled with in the Big Finish stories. This makes all of the Eighth Doctor stories canonical. Several of these stories tie in with the continuities of other Doctors' stories in the Big Finish universe (Zagreus, to name one, features a whole lot of Doctoring continuity). That links the Eighth Doctor Big Finish continuity to the canon of every other Big Finish Doctor. Therefore, all of Big Finish can now be considered canonical with the TV Series.

Aside from causing a whole load of contradictions, I think it proves quite definitively that Moffat is a fan of the work that Big Finish does and thinks it has value.

This, and also:

I haven't listened to the Big Finish stories (which I really must do) but I would find it VERY surprising if there weren't a way to create an Eighth Doctor series without messing with that cannon. Like... the great thing about Doctor Who is unless episodes make a very distinct point about being sequential, when the Doctor steps into the TARDIS and it dematerializes, and then reappears somewhere else next episode... you have no way of knowing how much time has passed between those two points.

I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity for new Eighth Doctor stories somewhere in there, In particular leading up to the Time War.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 04 Dec 2013, 23:40

Also worth watching while you can is An Adventure in Space and Time, a dramatic recounting of how Dr Who was originally created and ultimately the passage to the first regeneration, which I thought covered the character of William Hartnell brilliantly.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 05 Dec 2013, 15:21

When I said I wished there was a Paul McGann TV series, I didn't mean that I would want it to replace the Big Finish stuff, I meant that I'd want it to tie-in/coexist with all that. I'd have thought that was obvious, though. :L
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 05 Dec 2013, 16:06

Well here's Moffats own answer to a spin-off series.
Which is a clip from a quite interesting 18 min roundtable interview that can be watched here.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 06 Dec 2013, 14:01

Here's an interesting question.

When 8 regenerates into John Hurt, it's clearly a much younger John Hurt. By the time we get to Day of the Doctor he's aged a lot, to the point where his body is "wearing a bit thin".

Assuming 11 isn't lying he's been wandering about the universe for 300 years (Tennant reminds us that he's 906). He hasn't aged a bit.

So I was wondering, is somebody lying about their age?

Then I went and did some research and found out that 4 claimed to be about 900 years old. So I guess at some point the Doctor started counting from 0 again. In which case, which regeneration did that start in, and how long was Hurt actually fighting the Time War for his body to have aged so much?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Dec 2013, 14:17

Keab42 wrote:Here's an interesting question.

When 8 regenerates into John Hurt, it's clearly a much younger John Hurt. By the time we get to Day of the Doctor he's aged a lot, to the point where his body is "wearing a bit thin".

Assuming 11 isn't lying he's been wandering about the universe for 300 years (Tennant reminds us that he's 906). He hasn't aged a bit.

So I was wondering, is somebody lying about their age?

Then I went and did some research and found out that 4 claimed to be about 900 years old. So I guess at some point the Doctor started counting from 0 again. In which case, which regeneration did that start in, and how long was Hurt actually fighting the Time War for his body to have aged so much?

It was a Time War. Is it too much to expect that the ravages of whatever such a cataclysmic event entails would rather age a body, even if the person themselves hadn't physically experienced said years passing? And plus, 'about 900' could probably cover anything from 870 upwards. There's enough leeway.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Dec 2013, 14:38

Also, the Doctor lies. Especially in early Old Who, he was rather inconsistent about his age.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 06 Dec 2013, 15:06

Master Gunner wrote:Also, the Doctor lies. Especially in early Old Who, he was rather inconsistent about his age.

If you're several thousands of years old and travel in a time machine, I imagine at a certain point you'd give up counting.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Dec 2013, 16:47

Especially if you take into account relativistic effects, I think at a certain point there's no right answer. Maybe he just likes being ~900.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 06 Dec 2013, 18:47

As 11 even says in Day of the Doctor, (paraphrasing): "I'm so old I don't even know if I'm lying about my age any more."
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 06 Dec 2013, 23:00

The Doctor's age has been many things, consistent is not one of them. The aging process is also a mystery.

If I remember right, he says he is 953 years old when he is number 7, meaning he de-aged fifty years before he played Tennant. The 2nd Doctor was in his 400s, if I remember right and... ah, sod it, here's my source:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Doctor%27s_age
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Dec 2013, 02:50

I got aggression from someone on another side for referring to Tennant's Doctor as Tennant.

Because the number system has or has not been shaken up, and I was referring to that Doctor a lot, I thought it was easier to refer to that version by the actor.

I don't see why that person had to get nitpicky over something so petty.

Besides, David Tennant is The Doctor.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 07 Dec 2013, 03:09

About the Doctor's age: The first Doctor doesn't mention his age very much, but the second says at the beginning of Tomb of the Cybermen that he is "About 450 years old", and apparently at some point Jon Pertwee hints at being several thousand years old, although I disregard this. Then, if I remember correctly, the Tom Baker Doctor says he's about 800, with the 7th at some point saying something about being older than 900. Of course, then it gets confusing with the War Doctor, but what I think happened is that the Doctor wanted to hide the War Doctor so much that he subtracted a few hundred years from the age he tells people he is, and he miscounted slightly. This makes the most sense to me, since then the Ninth could have just decided "Alright, I'll just go for an even 900." And, if so, since he would have probably regenerated quite recently before he met Rose(Remember him looking in the mirror?), that could mean that by the time they reach the Slitheen, he could still only say he's 900 years old, but actually be many hundreds of years older than that.

Also, Merrymaker_Mortalis, for me, David Tennant is the definitive New Doctor Who Doctor.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 07 Dec 2013, 03:36

There is a big difference between 900 something and over 1000, its the same reason some people will say that they are 29/39/49 instead of 30/40/50.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 07 Dec 2013, 05:07

If memory serves, Tennant served as long as Baker did, and both are considered to be "the" Doctor with their respective eras (old Who and new Who).
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “General Discussion”