Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
tbug

Re: Doctor Who

Postby tbug » 17 Apr 2017, 06:54

So his poop joke was just a joke? I can live with that.

The Movellans reference was awesome. I've sometimes wondered what (if any) role they played in the Time War, given how close they were to wiping out the daleks entirely.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Apr 2017, 07:38

Bill's story with the chips felt like a way of preparing the audience that Bill was interested in women. And it has no relevance to the plot. So, either a waste of time or was character establishing. Unsure which way to take it.

I thought the antagonist was antagonistic before they became an antagonist. So I am confused if it was a result of poor acting, poor screenplay or deliberate and this will be explained later. The plot was built on the theme of how intense first crushes can be. But, I felt like I couldn't see that there much. Maybe, that's the point. The theme of clinging onto something tightly which had no depth to it.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 17 Apr 2017, 15:08

Good enough for a fresh start episode, although I think I preferred 11th Hour.

tbug wrote:I liked it. I'm still confused by the first twenty-five seconds, though. Are we supposed to infer that Nardole is an android? Perhaps a cyborg? I confess I'm vague on why he's no longer one of the king's spare heads.

Pretty sure in the Christmas special the Doctor mentioned "rebuilding him"
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 17 Apr 2017, 15:08

Good enough for a fresh start episode, although I think I preferred 11th Hour.

tbug wrote:I liked it. I'm still confused by the first twenty-five seconds, though. Are we supposed to infer that Nardole is an android? Perhaps a cyborg? I confess I'm vague on why he's no longer one of the king's spare heads.

Pretty sure in the Christmas special the Doctor mentioned "rebuilding him"
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 17 Apr 2017, 22:47

I enjoyed it.

It was an "introduce a new companion" episode for sure, though. Which means, yes, it's going to whisk The Doctor and company all around, and use the excuse of explaining the TARDIS and everything to the new companion as a way to explain it all to a potentially new audience. Which doesn't make for a terribly compelling episode, but it's necessary.

Given those constraints, I think they did fairly well.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 23 Apr 2017, 11:48

Well, that was a mess of ideas but came together well. I'm happy with it.

That was a real location, btw;
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Ciudad ... 04!6m1!1e1
--
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 24 Apr 2017, 09:33

Not sure it had a terribly satisfying ending.

"They killed our people! Our friends! Our families!"

"Meh. Learn to live with it. Forget it, even, if you can. That's not important. Now pay your murderers rent."

That's... not a solution. That's not how people work. That's not even how The Doctor works, given past actions. If there's nothing resembling justice for a crime, people aren't going to accept it. I give this colony three years before they're all dead.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 24 Apr 2017, 12:13

Ah, but if a species only murders because it was told too? And then that teaching is erased.Is it fair to call them murders anymore? surely they are something new.
I would also note the machine was learning from the grief stricken child in the background. Presumably implying it was learning some grief is normal.

That said...the rent stuff was unnecessary. Seemed like poorly placed humor against a rather serious scene.
--
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Apr 2017, 14:07

I felt like it explored great ideas but I welcomed the end of the episode
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 24 Apr 2017, 17:43

I enjoyed it. It was a little messy in places, but it all worked fairly well together, and the result was a fun ride. And despite the shortcomings in terms of story, the writing(Specifically the dialogue) was very good.

Looking forward to next week's. :D
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Apr 2017, 16:09

If the Doctor could hit the reset button, why didn't he do it earlier in the episode?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 28 Apr 2017, 13:55

Well, he had to at least know they wouldnt just do the same thing after. But still.....he knew that a lot earlier too :-/
==
Alternative ending idea;

At the confrontation at the end, the first machine that dies causes the others to stop. They get briefly angry, then completely freeze/shutdown.
The humans take this opportunity to kill a few more, but the Doctor stops them, realizing what had happened.
The machines experienced what grief is for the first time first hand. Having only just become self-aware and having their own killed they suddenly realized what they had been doing doing to the humans.
Given they were still trying to "make paradise" the contradiction either froze them...or they voluntarily shut down simply because they couldn't take what they had done.

The Doctor explains what happened and makes it clear it wasn't their fault - in human terms they must have felt overwhelming guilt in those last seconds.
He points out the humans could reactivate the machines at any time. That their colony would stand more chance of survival by working together. However, he leaves it upto them.
It ends without us seeing their choice.

Better? worse?
--
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 28 Apr 2017, 20:12

100% better.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 May 2017, 02:50

Better. Because that's what I thought what happened.
tbug

Postby tbug » 14 May 2017, 12:43

Interesting twist this week. It would be kind of cool if that persisted until regeneration.
Dale
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 15 May 2017, 02:12

Yeah. Even if it doesn't, it should create some really cool opportunities for next week's episode.

From the next episode preview: So, looks like Missy will appear next episode. This raises some questions.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 May 2017, 14:54

I find the series is rolling on. I cannot believe we're on episode 6 already. The episodes feel shorter.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 20 May 2017, 14:05

Damn, that was good.

Interesting that they used essentially the same twist ending as Sleep No More, but actually made a good episode out of it. Unlike that episode's use of it, this actually makes a lot of sense, and it set up throughout the episode in an excellent, and very clever way. A great episode through and through.

The reveal of the true nature of the vault was very clever. Created some very fun scenes, and sets up some very interesting things for the future.

Can't wait for the next episode.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 31 May 2017, 15:26

I think this series is going well. Bill has settled in nicely.
Interesting having effectively a 3-parter in the middle of the series. Sticking the Missy flashback in did feel a little irrelevant to the actual episode though, presumably groundwork for what's to come. I was actually disappointed that the hooded Nardol wasn't in fact John Simms Master.
Also, surely if the Doctor had taken the time before now to explain regeneration to Bill, which we know he hasn't yet. Then she'd have accepted the Doctor getting killed in the blast and regenerating? Rather than dooming the world. =P

It's also funny how similar the general setting of Extremis is to the Framework in Agents of Shield this season.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 02 Jun 2017, 15:17

I think on reflection my main issue with that epp was;
That scientists barely reacted to her friend melting.
Sure, death is hardly dwelled on in Who, but that seemed particularly callous.
--
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Jun 2017, 15:41

^ I agree
v She just existed and it was a shame.
tbug

Postby tbug » 03 Jun 2017, 22:16

I was sorry we didn't get to see her again this week. She was kind of set up as a recurring character, it seemed.
Dale
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 04 Jun 2017, 05:20

Yeah, agreed.

I didn't think this episode was as good as the last two, mainly due to the rather disappointing resolution, but I still very much enjoyed it.

Nice seeing Missy again. She's great fun, as always.
tbug

Postby tbug » 04 Jun 2017, 07:26

Double plus yes to your last line. I can't wait to see where they're going with this.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Jun 2017, 13:40

This series has been nice.
I had no expectations.

I like that some episodes have a B-Movie feel to it,

Return to “General Discussion”