Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Drinnik » 31 Aug 2010, 23:58

I know people who didn't think she was any good as Donna because she does sketch comedy.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 01 Sep 2010, 00:20

I sort of fell into that category. I didn't think she was bad per se, but I always expected her to turn around to the Daleks and say "Am I bovered?!", which stopped me being absorbed into her character.

Likewise, the guy who plays Cal Lightman in Lie to Me will always be Cal Lightman, so when I saw him in the Incredible Hulk, I expected him to point at other characters displayed emotions weren't actually their really feelings.
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Sep 2010, 03:24

Drinnik wrote:I know people who didn't think she was any good as Donna because she does sketch comedy.

Now not having seen Tate's work in that field, I can't say if that has any effect on my opinion of her work on DW (in either direction).

I will say this: Joss Whedon likes to grab competent comedy actors for supporting roles/cameos in his work, because "comedy is the hard one." Of course, this all depends on Tate being a competent comedic actress, and as stated, I can't say either way about that.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 01 Sep 2010, 04:35

WBAGNR wrote:Likewise, the guy who plays Cal Lightman in Lie to Me will always be Cal Lightman, so when I saw him in the Incredible Hulk, I expected him to point at other characters displayed emotions weren't actually their really feelings.

Who? OOOH you mean Mr.Orange!
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
tbug

Postby tbug » 01 Sep 2010, 07:08

James wrote:Many people said while I didn't need to see any of the early stuff (prior to the 2005 reboot) a lot of people did want to me check out Tom Baker. Which seems fair as for many people who grew up with this series he is THE Doctor.

I'm one of these people. :)

The episodes made in the seventies on low budgets really look the part. They're cheesy and silly, and they're well-loved for what they are. Some episodes are must-sees (eg The Genesis of the Daleks) and others are more see-once (eg Terror of the Zygons), but they all provide background (TotZ saw the departure of Harry as a companion and was referenced in School Reunion, for example).

Tom Baker played the doctor for longer than any other actor, and certainly had an enormous impact on how the public sees the character. It's worth at least checking out a few of his stories even if you don't want to work your way through all of them.

Maybe we should be recommending arcs based on companions rather than on Doctors? :D Sarah Jane Smith was awesome!
Dale
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 01 Sep 2010, 09:01

Ace is probably the best companion ever.

She beat up a dalek with a baseball bat, gor Christ's sake!
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

tbug

Postby tbug » 01 Sep 2010, 09:18

Ace is also the only companion whose fate was never revealed. I keep hoping she'll show up in the new show. :D
Dale
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 01 Sep 2010, 11:32

They were planning to have Ace leave the Doctor to enter a Time Lord academy to train to become a Time Lord herself. This plan was sort of ruined by the whole "series getting cancelled" thing. YMMV as to whether it would have worked or not.

Though I do like to imagine Ace in the midst of the Time War taking down the Daleks with her trusty baseball bat! :)
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 01 Sep 2010, 12:16

And dying. Never forget the dying.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 01 Sep 2010, 12:17

Hay, if the last 5 years have told me anything it's that a lot of people survived that war.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Sep 2010, 12:29

Drinnik wrote:I know people who didn't think she was any good as Donna because she does sketch comedy.

No it was because she can't act. Not even in her sketch comedy.

Brilliant character, let down by a poor actress.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 01 Sep 2010, 15:44

Fires of Pompeii after the volcano goes off and Journey's End's last 7 minutes prove you wrong, sir.

Also, suis je bovvered?

empath

Postby empath » 01 Sep 2010, 16:47

This whole Tate love/hate thing boils down to this: OPINIONS.

These are subjective things that depend on perspective and circumstance; they cannot be 'proven wrong'.

Catherine is a good actress to Drinnik, and simultaneously a bad actress to Keab42. YOU'RE BOTH RIGHT. That's how this works. It might be easier to lump it under 'quantum uncertainty behaviour' or similar.

On the other hand, The fact is there IS a lot of cool and awesome stuff in the 'pre-reboot' stories. Admittedly there's a ton of camp and cheese, and even a lot of overlap of that with the 'cool & awesome'.

...but even that isn't always a bad thing. :)
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 01 Sep 2010, 19:41

Exactly. Just because you think Matt Smith is brilliant and I think he's a terrible actor who's only able to convey two emotional states which most of the time don't fit the situation doesn't mean you're WRONG. It just means I'm right.

Before you get your panties in a bunch, that was joke. You might've heard of them.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 01 Sep 2010, 19:52

tbug wrote:
Maybe we should be recommending arcs based on companions rather than on Doctors? :D Sarah Jane Smith was awesome!

Sarah Jane WAS awesome. Ace was too. Also Harry, Leela, Jamie, and Romana (both of them, although the first one's a little hazier in my memory). And of course it's impossible to forget K9.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 01 Sep 2010, 22:25

I really liked Rose as a companion. No particular reason I can think of. I just did
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 01 Sep 2010, 23:11

empath wrote:This whole Tate love/hate thing boils down to this: OPINIONS.

These are subjective things that depend on perspective and circumstance; they cannot be 'proven wrong'.

Catherine is a good actress to Drinnik, and simultaneously a bad actress to Keab42. YOU'RE BOTH RIGHT. That's how this works. It might be easier to lump it under 'quantum uncertainty behaviour' or similar.

On the other hand, The fact is there IS a lot of cool and awesome stuff in the 'pre-reboot' stories. Admittedly there's a ton of camp and cheese, and even a lot of overlap of that with the 'cool & awesome'.

...but even that isn't always a bad thing. :)

Catherine Tate = Schrodinger's Actress.

RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 02 Sep 2010, 00:55

When people get uptight about the actors who play the doctor or his companions, it always amuses me. The main reason being I just take the show for what it is and forget who is playing who and get into the show. So far I have loved every single second of Dr Who since the reboot started, I didn't mind the actors who were in the show, none of it bothered me, but I have heard people get uptight about it and say "oh this person ruined that episode", really? You let one person ruin an episode? That's rather pathetic.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 02 Sep 2010, 01:19

well when that character is in over half the scenes and typically has an awful lot of lines, whether or not the actor playing that character is any good does have something of an impact on whether that episode is enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if i disliked all the 4th series of the reboot because of tate, but she is a blemish on some otherwise fantastic episodes.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 02 Sep 2010, 01:35

I thought she was the best companion out of the whole series so far, apart from Amy Pond, she brought a levity to the companions that hadn't been there for a while. She was funny and actually a good character to put with the doctor. (It helps that I didn't watch her sketch show)
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 02 Sep 2010, 02:12

the character was good, it was just a shame about the actress and the way she portrayed the character.

By contrast Pond as a character is pretty hit and miss - she seems ill-defined, so she just slotted into whatever role the story required, but the actress is really good and portrays the character really well.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Sep 2010, 02:53

I personally despised Catherine Tate in Doctor Who. Even The Doctor spent most of his time being annoyed by her.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 02 Sep 2010, 04:06

Drinnik wrote:Fires of Pompeii after the volcano goes off and Journey's End's last 7 minutes prove you wrong, sir.

Also, suis je bovvered?

I'll grant you she did do a good job in those scenes, and yeah we all have our opinions.

For instance I agree with Gordon on Smith in the first few episodes, but feel he was improving and was up to at least 3 maybe 4 emotional states by the last few episodes. But I put this down to the fact that he's a relatively new actor being asked to handle a very old and very complex character and before that had the unfortunate handicap of being a professional footballer.

But yeah I felt that Donna was good character/poor actress whereas Pond is poor character/reasonable actress.

But yeah I shan't bang on about it, I mean we all have our likes and dislike and we all have our favourites, I mean just ask somebody who their favourite Doctor or Bond is and then watch the sparks fly.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
empath

Postby empath » 02 Sep 2010, 05:47

Pulling one of my patented Tangents©, I'd have to say that I absolutely despised #5's companion Adric; he was abrasive, arrogant and an almost completely insufferable person. It's understandable that, having an intellect that surpasses most adults, combined with his youth and not-yet-attained-maturity that he would behave like this, but that doesn't mean I liked him any more.

Even the character's end was unpleasant, he dies because he refuses to flee a crashing ship whose controls have been locked out by logic codes. His superiority complex insists that he can and must crack the codes, and ignores everyone else. His compulsion to show his mental supremacy is such a drive that he disregards personal safety or even any notion of self-preservation.

Even his last words (after a dying Cyberman blasts the control, preventing him from finishing his decoding) are "Now I'll never know if I was right." - imminent death is nothing compared to denial of satisfying his ego and (yet again) demonstrating his mental prowess.

Now, with all this said, and all my hate for Adric, I also have to say that I LOVED Matthew Waterhouse's portrayal; he did an amazingly GOOD job in evoking such loathing from me to a fictional character. :)
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 02 Sep 2010, 07:35

It's because he wasn't acting. Waterhouse was a dick on set and often gave acting "tips" to the more experienced actors.

There's a reason I cheer when I watch the last 5 minutes of Earthshock.

Return to “General Discussion”