Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby the_lone_bard » 05 Jun 2011, 02:25

korri wrote:Ok, someone called the big twist at the at some point.... was it somewhere in this thread?

*Ahem*

CALLED IT! Does it also count as me being correct about both smith and tennant since "That was another birthday" ?

But still. WOO! Finally correct about one of my predictions, and one of the ones i made way back on episode one.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 05 Jun 2011, 07:32

I called it once I saw the baby's name, but this episode... SO GOOD! :D

I laughed at the name of the next episode as well.

Can't wait for September, long live Moffatt!
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 05 Jun 2011, 10:02

I was actually expecting: The Eye Patched lady to either be a younger River (actress kind of looked like the actress that plays River), or an adult version of the baby. But River being the child is pretty interesting.
Though it does raise a lot of odd questions. like:
If the end of the last season rebuilt the universe, and River wasn't conceived until after that, then... how was she in the time line before that?

Oh who am I kidding. The answer is "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Whimey."
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 05 Jun 2011, 10:39

The question I have is Why undo the whole "there can be no human/timelords," and run roughshod all over Donna's incredible storyline?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 05 Jun 2011, 10:42

Donna was different.

Donna was a human who became a timelord after years of being human, but not in a "oh, look, I'm a timelord now" but in a "OH GOD I'M ONLY TWENTY SOMETHING BUT SUDDENLY I HAVE THE MEMORIES OF A NINE HUNDRED YEAR OLD TIMELORD! MY BRAIN IS MELTING!!!!"

This baby was _born_ a timelord, from humans, without the added baggage of 9 hundred years worth of memories.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Jun 2011, 10:45

Though that does then raise issues over her biological wellbeing, which is being nicely treated with all the worrying and scanning and life-support tech she's being subjected to by everyone that lays hands on her.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 05 Jun 2011, 10:46

EDIT: I've been beaten to it, I see. Oh well.

Well, it was a quite different situation. Donna became 'half Time Lord*' suddenly, after a lifetime of being human. Her human brain couldn't deal with that for too long without melting or whatever. But Melody was conceived in the Vortex, and thus her DNA (and brain) structure was altered from the very beginning. Essentially, she was born a Time Lord, instead of suddenly becoming one, and so there were no such problems.

*The proper term we should be using is technically 'Gallifreyan', but since the new series doesn't seem to make the distinction, I suppose sticking with their terminology is less confusing.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 05 Jun 2011, 10:53

Ottoman wrote:
*The proper term we should be using is technically 'Gallifreyan', but since the new series doesn't seem to make the distinction, I suppose sticking with their terminology is less confusing.

I think it's mostly because Gallifrey is gone, so there can be no distinction made in the New Series between who's a Gallifreyan and who's a Time Lord... since the only one left is a Time Lord... I think? Right? I don't know... This is how I justify things.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
tbug

Postby tbug » 05 Jun 2011, 11:18

The thing that intrigues me the most about this new development is that a character who can regenerate can keep showing up for many Doctors to come. There's no reason the thirty-seventh Doctor couldn't run into her in a younger incarnation decades from now. :)
Dale
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 05 Jun 2011, 11:25

So now that we know River Song is part timelord, and we've already seen space suit girl regenerate, whom we presume is Melody Pond, does that mean River ought to have regenerated at the end of Forest of the Dead or was that an actual permanent death?
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 05 Jun 2011, 11:34

The shadows got her, right? Presumably that means that she didn't have time to regenerate.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Jun 2011, 11:37

She did also fry herself something fierce if I recall.
ad134

Postby ad134 » 05 Jun 2011, 12:11

She did say at the time that the Doctor wouldn't have survived the end of FOTD, so I would highly doubt that she'd be any different.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 05 Jun 2011, 13:52

Gordon Fearman wrote:So I feel good. Back in the days of series 5 I said "boy perception filters seem to be a recurring theme. Are they going to have their own arc or something?" Well, now they do. Yay for me. So for my next trick, River is the unborn child of Rory and Amy.

HA!

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

the_lone_bard wrote:
korri wrote:Ok, someone called the big twist at the at some point.... was it somewhere in this thread?

*Ahem*

CALLED IT! Does it also count as me being correct about both smith and tennant since "That was another birthday" ?

But still. WOO! Finally correct about one of my predictions, and one of the ones i made way back on episode one.

You filthy liar! Trying to sneak yourself into my awesome foresight skills. In fact, the next post that was made, was your response to my prediction. It reads as thus:

the_lone_bard wrote:nope :D

River already said when she first met him he knew everything about her, which implies he meets her about age 15 minimum.

Also if that were hte case river would technically be interacting with her past everytime she meets amy.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 05 Jun 2011, 18:43

Gordon Fearman wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:So I feel good. Back in the days of series 5 I said "boy perception filters seem to be a recurring theme. Are they going to have their own arc or something?" Well, now they do. Yay for me. So for my next trick, River is the unborn child of Rory and Amy.

HA!

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

You weren't technically correct, since she's not their unborn child. She was most certainly born.

:P

Also spoiler your shit, everybody.

Another excellent episode from Moffat, of course. I really like Moffat's "big episodes," where instead of trying to make the threat to the universe bigger and badder and making things silly in the process (like RTD did), he just ties together a bunch of different characters, some new, some old, backwards and forwards across time.It's so wonderfully wibbly wobbly. And I have to say, I was absolutely thrown for a loop with how brilliant River Being Melody was. It's... just perfect.Everything is perfect, forever.

I love that we're getting new Time Lords, not in the way that RTD was doing it (kind of forced, ripping holes in the universe, trying to go back on his word), but in a weird, crazy, ingenious, sneaky, underhanded sort of way. It's delicious. Feels less forced, more brilliant. Though I honestly kind of wish there were some way we could get more of Romana and The Monk and The Corsair and other Time Lords. But... eh, it'd break things.

What I want to know is whether Time Lords are just humans born with really high exposure to the Untempered Schism. Was Gallifrey just really schism-y? And why is schism such a fun word to say? Schism schism schism!
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 05 Jun 2011, 18:45

Well, they are distinctly alien: two hearts.

But it could very well be that the Gallifreyians were normal aliens, with normal life spans who couldn't regenerate or travel through time, until time energy screwed them up.
tbug

Postby tbug » 05 Jun 2011, 22:39

Jeremy and Tally and I just rewatched New Earth. Not only does that episode make a LOT more sense now, but it also explains how the Doctor knew about the Flesh.
Dale
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 06 Jun 2011, 03:10

Gordon Fearman wrote:

HA!

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

the_lone_bard wrote:

*Ahem*

You filthy liar! Trying to sneak yourself into my awesome foresight skills. In fact, the next post that was made, was your response to my prediction. It reads as thus:

the_lone_bard wrote:nope :D

River already said when she first met him he knew everything about her, which implies he meets her about age 15 minimum.

Also if that were hte case river would technically be interacting with her past everytime she meets amy.

Well, i made alot of theories... and i forgot what i was typing... FOOKIN SILENTS!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Jun 2011, 04:21

tbug wrote:Jeremy and Tally and I just rewatched New Earth. Not only does that episode make a LOT more sense now, but it also explains how the Doctor knew about the Flesh.

New Earth? The Tennant-era episode with everyone stuck on the highway?
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 06 Jun 2011, 05:05

No, the one with Lady Cassandra and the hospital.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 06 Jun 2011, 05:15

Nope, I think that's the first Tennant episode after The Christmas Invasion. Face of Boe, Cat People and Cassandra.
Sunspot
First Video: unskippables then Quantum Documentary

Postby Sunspot » 06 Jun 2011, 05:48

He and they and she's actually but it wasn't really and wow can Rory be badass when he needs to be!

Love that the TARDIS called it with 'the river is the only water in the forest'

Goddamn it Moffet this awesomeness keeps making me want new Sherlock less cause I don't want you to want less DW
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 06 Jun 2011, 08:33

So, this might have been asked before, but I don't feel like wading through 34 pages of thread.

If I wanted to start watching Doctor Who, what would be the best season to start with. (Starting at the beginning is going to take forever, so I prefer to jump ahead a bit and maybe check out earlier stuff once I have caught up with the latest)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 06 Jun 2011, 08:37

Since the next new episode isn't until september, why not just start with Season 1 of the new series?

You don't need to watch the old show or anything, but it makes no sense to start midway through this series.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Jun 2011, 08:38

Starting from the beginning is rather impractical, not the lest because a lot of early episodes have simply been lost to time. If you just want to get a reasonable understanding of things, season 1 of the revived series (Eccleston's run) onward is pretty good, as it introduces a lot of old aspects and elements for new viewers.

Return to “General Discussion”