So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

What colors?

Red
23
16%
Orange
19
13%
Yellow
23
16%
Green
23
16%
Blue
26
18%
Indigo
10
7%
Violet
19
13%
 
Total votes: 143
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5982
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby King Kool » 11 Sep 2010, 19:21

I don't have a digital camera on my phone, so I couldn't take a picture of this, but they had "rainbow cookies" that were three layers: red, yellow and green. Now, those seem to me like stoplight cookies.

But that made me think: what colors are essential to a rainbow? How many of the colors IN the rainbow would you need before you would call something a rainbow, and which colors?

(see, now there IS a reason for a poll where you can choose every answer. Huzzah!)
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
iamafish
Posts: 4804
Joined: 22 Feb 2009, 10:28
First Video: Crime and Punishment
Location: Oxford/Worcestershire, England
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby iamafish » 11 Sep 2010, 19:26

I think you can miss out one of the purples and still call it a rainbow.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Sep 2010, 19:32

You don't need indigo. Just extend the lower wavelength range of violet from 450nm to 420, and you're set.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
goat
Posts: 3710
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 20:59

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby goat » 11 Sep 2010, 19:32

red, yellow, green, blue, violet

Indigo can go huff a dong.

KK, what you had there were rasta cookies.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
User avatar
Echi
Posts: 181
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 20:24
First Video: CHustle
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Echi » 11 Sep 2010, 19:40

To trigger my mind into thinking "rainbow" I need at least four colours, the three primarys and a secondary colour. Usually that would be Red, Yellow, Blue and Green, but orange or violet would also work in place of green.
JustAName
Posts: 7669
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 21:08
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby JustAName » 11 Sep 2010, 20:02

It's really just red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. People will still recognize it if it's red, yellow, green, blue, but purple is the best of colors, and if you don't have orange when purple's there it does look slightly odd.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.


And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Image
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4377
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Sep 2010, 20:18

Red, yellow, green, blue for absolute minimal, though honestly that reminds me more of the inside of a kindergarten classroom than a rainbow.

Adding purple or orange makes it an adequate rainbow. Both is substantial and mostly complete. No one really cares about indigo.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Sep 2010, 20:59

ROY G BIV is a mnemonic for a reason.
*
User avatar
TheRocket
Posts: 8428
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:17
First Video: Those Games That We Played
Location: Lake Titicaca
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby TheRocket » 11 Sep 2010, 21:07

metcarfre wrote:ROY G BIV is a mnemonic for a reason.



Yeah, call me what you will, but I need ROY G BIV or else it's not a rainbow to me. I mean, I grant that the I and V can just pass with a straight up purple... but I need the rest to have a double complete rainbow all the way.

Also, I have been wanting to make this for a LONG time but have no reason to make it.. One day I WILL make this.. anyone want to eat it with me?

Image
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Graham » 11 Sep 2010, 22:07

YES.

I WILL PUT IT IN MY BODY.
JustAName
Posts: 7669
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 21:08
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby JustAName » 11 Sep 2010, 22:13

That is flippin' awesome. Count me in!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.


And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Image
User avatar
Evil Jim
Posts: 7265
Joined: 14 Jul 2007, 00:39
First Video: Shake Your Hands
Location: R'lyeh, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Sep 2010, 23:14

At a stoplight, RED means "stop," YELLOW means "hold on" & GREEN means "go." But on a banana it's the opposite. GREEN means "hold on," YELLOW means "go" & RED means "where the hell did you get that banana?"


TheRocketSiobhan wrote:Also, I have been wanting to make this for a LONG time but have no reason to make it.. One day I WILL make this.. anyone want to eat it with me?
You will make that cake

BECAUSE!

I!

SAY!

SO!

And also because it looks nummy.
Image
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
User avatar
Murakami
Posts: 139
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 01:43
First Video: Time is Money
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Murakami » 12 Sep 2010, 02:02

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:
metcarfre wrote:ROY G BIV is a mnemonic for a reason.



Yeah, call me what you will, but I need ROY G BIV or else it's not a rainbow to me. I mean, I grant that the I and V can just pass with a straight up purple... but I need the rest to have a double complete rainbow all the way.

Also, I have been wanting to make this for a LONG time but have no reason to make it.. One day I WILL make this.. anyone want to eat it with me?

Image


I seriously want to know how to make such a cake! It looks awesome and very good, good, good for a belly!
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
User avatar
iamafish
Posts: 4804
Joined: 22 Feb 2009, 10:28
First Video: Crime and Punishment
Location: Oxford/Worcestershire, England
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby iamafish » 12 Sep 2010, 02:20

Before now i thought wraith was a lucky man. he just got one hell of a lot more lucky
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
User avatar
Mister Fiend
Posts: 2898
Joined: 21 May 2009, 07:13
First Video: Three PS3's
Location: Behind your nightmares
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Mister Fiend » 12 Sep 2010, 02:36

I've never understood the whole "I need a reason to bake a cake" thing. You bake a cake because FUCK YOU, IT'S CAKE DAY!

When I was in kindergarten the teacher thought I was retarded because I couldn't identify the colors of the rainbow. It never occurred to her that I might be colorblind, the bitch. Ah, the early 80's.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Image
Image
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Lord Chrusher » 12 Sep 2010, 05:37

I think any selection of spectral colours in order is a rainbow.

Also purple is not the same as violet. Most purples are a mix of blue and red light while violet is purely light with a wavelength shorter than blue light.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Ottoman
Posts: 1860
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 19:42
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Ottoman » 12 Sep 2010, 07:13

Guys. Really? King Kool, I am disappoint in you poll choices.

A rainbow technically consists of every colour, but the distinguishable bands are each primary and two secondaries (because magenta is weird). Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Red.

Orange is not a secondary colour. Neither is purple.

Image

EDIT: Also, 'indigo' and 'violet' are some bullshit colours that are only there to make a good mnemonic.
Last edited by Ottoman on 12 Sep 2010, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
User avatar
sdhonda
Posts: 2396
Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 01:10
First Video: Fun With Microwaves
Location: Vancouver Island
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby sdhonda » 12 Sep 2010, 07:56

Mnemonic.
User avatar
Ottoman
Posts: 1860
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 19:42
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Ottoman » 12 Sep 2010, 07:59

I don't know what you're talking about. . .
Derp.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Sep 2010, 08:03

Indigo is a largely bullshit colour. Violet is a distinct colour band, referring to colours with a wavelength of 380–450nm.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
Emperor Gum
Posts: 2110
Joined: 24 May 2008, 20:02
First Video: Moving Out
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Emperor Gum » 12 Sep 2010, 08:17

INDIGO 4 LIF DOGZ! FUCK AL YAL H8ERS!
Image
User avatar
Evil Jim
Posts: 7265
Joined: 14 Jul 2007, 00:39
First Video: Shake Your Hands
Location: R'lyeh, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Evil Jim » 12 Sep 2010, 08:32

Ever see green in a sunset? It's there! Right between the yellows & blues. It's pretty narrow but you'll see it if you look for it.
Image
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
User avatar
Drinnik
Posts: 1976
Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 15:15
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v
Location: Colchester, UK

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Drinnik » 12 Sep 2010, 09:09

It exists because Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain, not Richard Of York Ganked Bosses Pets.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.


Image
Image

Image
User avatar
goat
Posts: 3710
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 20:59

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby goat » 12 Sep 2010, 09:44

My girlfriend and I have had a long standing desire to make a rainbow cake, particularly after she made me a two color cake for my birthday (which was fucking delicious).
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: So I saw cookies at Shop-N-Stop...

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Sep 2010, 10:16

Who needs a reason to make cake?
*

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests