The Official Desert Bus IV thread!!!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Re: The quasi-official Desert Bus IV thread

Postby SilPho » 18 Sep 2010, 12:50

I salute their dedication.

I'm currently in search of the chat logs for DB1 and DB2. I've messaged Kroze but no luck so far, anyone else have any suggestions?
Bynine
First Video: The Future of Halo

Postby Bynine » 18 Sep 2010, 13:14

I'll try my best to write a fanfic for Desert Bus.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 18 Sep 2010, 14:27

Fayili wrote:The crew announced it at PAX. Because people have set schedules, they would always end up seeing the same driver when they went to watch, so now they're gonna have longer shifts and more drivers. The new one being Kathleen.

a female driver? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No, kidding kidding not really
Good luck and desert bus speed

E: Why do i always break the forums?!
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 18 Sep 2010, 17:32

Been looking forward to desert bus since last year's This year round we have a higher download limit so wont have to ration my viewing like last time!
Also I should have more monies for the children! yay!
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 19 Sep 2010, 07:17

The past two years I've been in university for Desert Bus, and the timing was horrible. It was right before final exams for the semester so I had essays and projects and tests. I still spent way too much time watching, though. This year I'm finally free! ...but with not very much bandwidth. So I'm camping out at a friend's place for a week, just for the sake of watching Desert Bus. It will be awesome. I may not leave the building all week.
HummingbirdJames
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby HummingbirdJames » 20 Sep 2010, 11:46

Relying on the very same principle as Sable, I too have decided to sacrifice a large amount of time to Desert Bus, but in a different way.

As I mentioned in the thread for The Basement not too long ago today, I have taken it upon myself to write a novel version of one of the Crapshot novels. I then decided "hey, why not do it in NaNoWriMo?" If you don't know what that is, I'm not gonna Google it for you. And then, I decided "Huh, 50k isn't masochistic enough, what do I do? I know! I'll write more if more money is donated to Desert Bus!" So here we are. Long story short, for those of you who are of the tl;dr persuasion:

For every 10 USD donated to Desert Bus, I will write one extra word in my Crapshot novel.

Now, the trouble is: I don't know which Crapshot to write about! So, I'll leave that to you. PM me here on the forums, or send a TwitterSpaceBook message (the link's in my signature) over my way with what you think are the best Crapshots to adapt into a novel. I will take the top ten requests and put them into a poll here on the forums, so that everyone who was too lazy to PM or Twitter me would be able to procrastinate over telling me which is the best even better!

I'll finish taking in PMs and Twitters on September 30th, and I'll close the poll on October 15th so I can pull some Batman-Style Prep Time.

I can take the pain, honest!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Sep 2010, 12:08

Do you mean on top of 50k? So, for last year, you'd have written ~64k words?
HummingbirdJames

Postby HummingbirdJames » 20 Sep 2010, 12:31

Yes. That is exactly what will happen. It doesn't sound that much, but it is. It is so much. The last two times I attempted, I burnt out in a week or so. Hopefully, with the motivation of helping the children, I'll get further this time!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 20 Sep 2010, 20:11

I'm going to try to save money up for this, though I need to save money up for PAX East as well.
Mad Madam Mimm
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 21 Sep 2010, 09:35

metcarfre wrote:Do you mean on top of 50k? So, for last year, you'd have written ~64k words?

metcarfre wrote:written ~64k words?

metcarfre wrote: ~64k words?

metcarfre wrote: ~64k

this is a fated mission, clearly.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 21 Sep 2010, 19:20

One word. Stickcam.
Its free, for the iphone, and live broadcasting, for like behind the scenes stuff. Good response too
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 22 Sep 2010, 05:50

As found in the "Lost and Found" thread, I came to experiment with the Google Fight thing.

This just seems absurd...
Desert Bus VS Dessert Bus
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?la ... Desert+Bus
HummingbirdJames

Postby HummingbirdJames » 22 Sep 2010, 07:27

I have decided that along with my stupid 10 bucks a word thing I've set myself to do, I'll also write slashfics! Because I can. You'll have to donate for them, of course. In fact, I've drafted up a pricing plan!

$10 for each human non-cast member
$7.50 for each human cast member or animal non-cast
$5 for each animal cast member or inanimate object
10% discount for including Rosco
20% discount if the people included actually ARE in a relationship
50% discount for Rosco/Jer, disregarding the above discounts

Oh god why did I put thought into this? Anyways, the slashfics will be quite short - about a paragraph per participant. The cap on participants is 5, because I don't want to be distracted TOO much from the Crapshot novel.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Sep 2010, 07:41

My contribution, other than donating more money than I can likely afford to, is to have Desert Bus determine the state of my facial hair. I will be participating in No-Shave-November, and if, when the crew stops bussing, the donation total/10000 is an even number, I will keep some form of facial hair (goatee, muttonchops, handlebars, I haven't decided yet). If it is an odd number though, then I shall go back to being clean-shaven.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 25 Sep 2010, 04:31

Ok, this will be my first Desert Bus, so this may have been done before, and even if it hasn't, I can't decide if it would be really funny, or not funny at all.

Basically, you get the cast to be 'characters' from the videos, and they have to reply to questions posted on the feed in character. I've seen it done with other shows.

For example, you might have Paul pretending to be the guy from Installation Anxiety, so he keeps going on about Linux and what have you.

In this example it doesn't sound very funny, but I reckon if there could be some sort of poll where the characters who get the most money are done during DB, then I think it might make it a bit better
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 25 Sep 2010, 07:57

WBAGNR wrote:Basically, you get the cast to be 'characters' from the videos, and they have to reply to questions posted on the feed in character. I've seen it done with other shows.

That's a good idea. Ideas like this tend to be donation ideas. If someone comes up with an idea they can donate $50 (whatever the crew agrees to) and they'll be "in character" for 15 minutes or whatever. There's no set rate so it's really how everyone is feeling at the time as far as the duration.

I don't think the Warriors of Darkness have made a Desert Bus appearance. People may have to pool donations together for that to happen. Given that they're setting up silent auctions this year, they might have plans for "donation buckets" of some kind where people pool money for a large event like the Warriors of Darkness or 64k appearances. Lots of ideas.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 26 Sep 2010, 14:10

Very much looking forward to DBFH this year. Just thought I'd reiterate this. :)
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 26 Sep 2010, 15:27

I come bearing good news of updates! The inks for my desert bus poster are officially complete!

Wooo! Now just on to the coloring and printing and shipping.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 26 Sep 2010, 15:31

Oh dear god Graham looks terrifying.

I mean, more so than usual.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 26 Sep 2010, 15:38

he wanted to be billy mays in the poster, and I don't ask questions.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Sep 2010, 15:52

I particularly like Alex in that. Awesome!
HummingbirdJames

Postby HummingbirdJames » 27 Sep 2010, 10:45

epocalypse, that is pretty much the greatest thing. The greatest. I think I know who to go to for the cover art for my Crapshot novel. Speaking of which, there's three days until I compile the poll for it and... no one's sent me a darn thing. Well bollocks. I can't be arsed waiting three more days, so I've decided to choose the Crapshot myself.

I shall be adapting The Watching. Watch this space, pun totally intended.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 28 Sep 2010, 22:01

thank you very much. Here's a little taste of the coloring, just a taste:

my personal site
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 29 Sep 2010, 20:43

I can't remember but I think I got banned for ...something on the last one, will there be a clean slate sort of thing this year or not?
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 29 Sep 2010, 23:40

Father Time wrote:I can't remember but I think I got banned for ...something on the last one, will there be a clean slate sort of thing this year or not?

I don't think we'll be carrying over any bans or holding any grudges, so you can start over. You'll have a whole shiny new Desert Bus during which to attract the wrath of Kroze. But of course we'd really rather you didn't.

Return to “General Discussion”