Tapir12's Anime Reviews

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Re: Tapir12's Anime Reviews

Postby Tapir12 » 03 Nov 2010, 15:34

Mushishi – 9/10

There are some things that are stereotypically anime. Big eyes, pink hair, fast pace, bright colours, j-pop etc. Mushishi has none of those things.

Mushishi takes us into a lush and beautiful version of our own world where creatures exist that lie somewhere between existence and pure energy. We follow Ginko, a traveller who seeks to understand both these creatures and the people that live along side them.

The series has often been likened to Kino’s Journey in that each episode introduces us to a new story and characters, and while these stories are simple, they are also thought provoking. The characters are very human and subtle, and the laid-back Ginko is very likeable. While the strange creatures may be the cause of the problems, it is the reactions and emotions of the people that draw us into the stories.

This is a series that is also able to create perfect mood. The gorgeous background art fits perfectly and the strong yet subtle colours add to the mysterious atmosphere. Also contributing to this is the incredible score. Each episode has it’s own theme – songs which are hauntingly beautiful in their simplicity.

This is a series that breaks the mould and introduces us to a fascinating world we won’t soon want to leave.

P.S. for any pianists out there, there is sheet music available for a few of the Mushishi pieces and they are short, simple and superb. I know I can’t stop playing them!
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
JenSev
First Video: quantum documentary

Postby JenSev » 03 Nov 2010, 16:24

I found Mushihi rather inconsistent, and most of the episodes didn't contribute much to the story. It's only at the end of the series that we see any real character development and actual story.
Most of the episodes are rather stand-alone and can be viewed in any order.
I know Cowboy Bebop had a similar episodic theme with a good couple of the episodes being more or less stand-alone but each had something in there that drove the story further or revealed something about the characters that we didn't know, Mushihi doesn't have that.

It's nice and not bad, but I'd say it's overrated, I've seen much better.
The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 03 Nov 2010, 16:59

I can understand what you're saying but I'll have to disagree. In my mind, the series in not about Ginko. He is just the eyes through which we see the world. There is no "actual story" but there are many stories and each of them is engaging and worth telling, even if they are not connected. This series is definitely more like a book of short stories than a novel.

Though you say there is not enough characters development, I thought that the characters we get to meet in each episode are actually quite unique and well developed, especially considering their short screen time. Their characters are subtle, not obvious and stereotypical

I knew I liked Mushishi when the end credits came on and all I could do was be swallowed by the music and reflect on what I had just seen.
JenSev

Postby JenSev » 03 Nov 2010, 17:14

I think you misunderstood what I meant with character development, I meant that over the course of the anime, we don't see the characters grow, they don't develop much further until we reach the very end of the series.

With lack of character development, I mean that over the course of the episodes, we don't gain deeper insights into the character's psyche, we don't learn many things about them or their motivations, nothing.

I liked Mushishi, but I can definitely say I didn't like it as much as many of the other series I've seen, like SaiKano, Martian Successor Nadesico, Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Madlax or even Hyper Police.
All of these I can seriously recommend.
The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 03 Nov 2010, 17:45

The problem with your argument is that there is only one character in all of the episodes and only one other character who shows up in more than one (three times I think). I just think you are missing the point of the series and looking for something that is not what this series is supposed to be.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Nov 2010, 15:11

Does anyone have any transformation or mecha anime suggestions? Transformation I have watched included Tekkaman Blade, Detonator Orgun (cheap rip off of Tekkaman Blade) and Guyver OVA and Guyver: Bio-Booster Armour. Mecha: Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/2040, Full Metal Panic, Gundam Wing/Seed/Destiny.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
JenSev

Postby JenSev » 06 Nov 2010, 15:53

I'm surprised you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is probably one of the most famous mecha series.
RahXephon, it has a strange story like NGE, but also really well done. They are quite similar.
Martian Successor Nadesico is a good suggestion for mecha, and great comedy, if you like FMP you'll love this, I did.
Gasaraki and Flag are also great mecha series.
Not quite mecha, but seriously worth watching: Outlaw Star!

For transformation and if you want to ruin your eyes, there's SoulTaker, or you could go with the insane spin-off Nurse Witch Komugi-chan, which is so much better.
D.N.Angel is also not bad.
Ergo Proxy is also really good.

Karas is something that has a bit of both and an interesting story.
So does Magic Knights Rayearth, although a bit more "girly" I guess, but it's pretty good nonetheless.
S-Cry-Ed would also fall somewhere between the two, and is quite good.

Well, that should keep you busy for quite a while.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Nov 2010, 15:58

Seen Evangelion, forgot to mention it. Also watched most of Ergo Proxy.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 07 Nov 2010, 10:42

I <3 fruits basket! Kyo is soooooo cute! I <3 kitties!

This is totally not Mimm signed in on Lying's account...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 11 Nov 2010, 18:16

Because it was brought up today:

Martian Successor Nadesico.

Go watch it. It is the best send up of anime and it's fandom anywhere. It is epic nevertheless, but without taking itself too seriously.
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 29 Nov 2010, 23:11

Here's a few comments on a couple series I just finished.

PlanetES - 8/10

This series didn't turn out to be what I had expected. Billed as a drama, I thought it would be quite serious but it ended up being quite light hearted, especially for the first half. This is one of those series where it's not until the end that your realize something you saw at the beginning was significant.

Set in the future when people travel regularly to the moon and Mars, all of our space travel exploration has led to large space corporations and lots and lots of space debris. It's the responsibilities of Debris Section to go around picking it all up. Yes, this is a story about space garbage collectors. But really it centres around a group of main characters who are very human and realistic (with a few exceptions). This was a fun series to watch with fun characters.

Another thing I liked, without spoiling too much, is that our lowly garbage collectors don't save the world. We've seen way too many "regular person ends up with the fate of the world in their hands" stories, so I was happy not to see it here. But that doesn't mean the story is boring or lacks some major crises.

Overall this was simply a lot of fun with nice art, good space tech and cool characters.

Bokura ga Ita - 8/10

I normally don't like romances and very girly anime, but every once and a while we get a gem that appeals even to me. Kare Kano did this, Honey and Clover, Fruits Basket and now Bokura ga Ita.

This series has a pretty standard premise - a highschool love triangle. What makes it good is the characters. We can really understand how they are feeling and what they must be thinking. Our lead male is not "perfect" like an Arima (Kare Kano), Renji (ef~) or a Hiro (Parasise Kiss). Yano is a highschool kid and acts like it. Our lead female is sweet and kind, but nervous and jealous.

The story is told over a period of about 2.5 years, so it's not rushed and feels more natural. The ending is left a little open, but still feels complete. It is a chapter of their lives, not their entire life that's being shared.

The art is nice and definitely utilizes shoujo techniques (sparkles, pastels, characters with only one eye showing) and has a lot of nice Jpop mixed into the episodes (like Honey and Clover). I wouldn't say this is my favourite romance, but it was very enjoyable and worth recommending.

Also,

LyinginbedMimm wrote:I <3 fruits basket! Kyo is soooooo cute! I <3 kitties!

How is that going? I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 30 Nov 2010, 01:39

I may have stopped reading/watching, just because of other stuff occupying my time, but I still intend to watch/read more of it, once I get the time.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 12 Jan 2011, 14:24

Back with a couple more reviews. I hope people don't mind if I keep posting here. I like the practice of writing reviews and I don't have anyone around to discuss them with at the moment. I read a lot of review sites and I really respect a well written review (of which I know mine aren't yet) so I appreciate any feedback on my review style as well. And if someone discovers a new anime they like, bonus!

Master Keaton - 7/10

Master Keaton is the story of a Japanese-English Archaeologist turned insurance investigator as he travels the world on different cases.

I was first interested in this series because it is written but the author of my all-time favourite series, Monster. There are a lot of similar elements, but whereas Monster has an overall story that develops throughout the series, Master Keaton sticks to an episodic formula. This is not necessarily a bad thing and some of the stories are pretty good, but it is hard to generate real tension or compassion for the characters when the whole story must be set up, developed and resolved in just 20 minutes. The stories are pretty of a pretty standard adventure style - rescue the kidnapped guy, catch the robbers, recover the missing artifacts etc. - with a few more personal stories thrown in.

Keaton himself is an interesting character and we get to know him fairly well, along with a few members of his family. The drawback, however, is that he always seems to know the perfect way to get out of any situation. While some of these methods are creative and well executed (usually involving out-thinking rather than out-muscling), it takes away from the drama. Compare this to Tenma, the main character of Monster, and we see that Tenma has more limitations which lead to more challenges.

One nice aspect of the series is that it changes location regularly. Several episodes take place in England with some in Japan, Greece, Italy, France, etc so there is a cultural element to the stories. The music is decent and very fitting for the series, but doesn't really stand out on it's own.

While the episodes were by no means bad, they were a little boring and predictable. Worth a watch if you are looking for something fairly light. Well executed but doesn't leave your desperate for more.

The Potrait of Petit Cossette - 8/10

This three episode tale surrounds the soul of a French girl that has been trapped inside a glass. In ends up in the hands of a Japanese guy who falls in love with the image of the girl he sees inside the glass. She can use him to free herself, but at what cost?

This is an art piece foremost. What immediately draws you in is the amazing visual style and outstanding music. The show utilizes a very gothic style and employs unusual camera angles and quick shots to create an unsettling atmosphere. This is one of Shinbo's first directorial efforts and it clearly shows. Combined with music by Yuki Kajiura, the style is the star of the show.

While often confusing, the story is nonetheless interesting and engaging. Being just a three episode series, the relationships don't have a long time to develop and we have to accept the feeling the characters claim to feel for each other. Yet they take us on a dark ride into the past, into the mind and into the world of the dead.

If you admire animation as an art or the gothic style, you will likely enjoy this anime. It pushes the boundaries of storytelling and creates a dark atmosphere that will draw you in.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 13 Jan 2011, 09:44

If anybody is looking for an interesting mecha one. Vandread is good. It's stories interesting as well.
Currently watching AND enjoying basilisk and xxxholic.
Has anybody here seen monster before? I saw one episode and was confused as fuck
I think I've mentioned it before but for any science geeks check out elemental hunters
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 13 Jan 2011, 11:05

I've just recently finished Claymore and really enjoyed it, especially the music.
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 13 Jan 2011, 23:28

gcninja wrote:Has anybody here seen monster before? I saw one episode and was confused as fuck

I've watched the whole series twice, and loved it. It takes a good five or six episodes to get into the story. Basically, once you jump 10 or so years, that's when the story really begins.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Jan 2011, 14:43

Sky Girls
Animation - B
Story - B
Music - B+
Subtitle - B

Number of Episodes: 1 OVA, 26 Episode Series and 9 Specials

I never heard of this anime until 3 days ago and the only thing I have watched from J.C. Staff was New Dominion Tank Police . When I first saw the pictures of the characters in the 'slit suits' I felt dirty for it and felt teh need to clean myself. Then i noticed the mechs and thought I'll give it a try. In a comment about the series someone said they watched the series all in one day. I've never had a compulsion to do that right off the bat with any anime (not even with the GITS series). In the end I almost copied the author of the comment and would have if my *cough*download*cough* hadn't been slow towards the final episodes.

Sky Girls takes place after the war with the Weapon Of Raid Machines (WORM) a lifeform that consists of thousands of cells. Humanity won the first war by joining together and using nuclear weapons to destroy them. The aftermath of the war led to the major continents being broken apart. Antarctica has disappeared, and half of the remaining land mass was submerged. The largest damage this war caused was the loss of 90% of all military-age personnel, namely men in their twenties and thirties.

The TV Series starts with the formation of the Sky Girls team and their training to become used to their skeleton units called Sonic Divers. The team is made up of three girls in their mid teens (but drawn like they haven't hit puberty yet) as they try to overcome their reservations of training and each other. At the start the are told that their training is to test a prototype air vehicle but when combat training starts and the inclusion of an Extinct Worm does their real mission begin.

As with other anime of this type, Full Metal Panic, the serious elements are punctured with light-hearted moments and, letting myself get emotionally drawn into story, some tearful moments when you get to know the characters. The main twist of the story was a little bit quick and not hard hitting, especially when the key-point was never mentioned before, but that might have been due to the subtitles used which suffered from the rare spelling and grammatical error.

The OVA, which I watched first, is a taster of what the show was to be and there was no changes from it to the series. I haven't watched the 8 specials yet but I look forward to it.

I'll let Tapir get back to his reviews now.
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 22 Jan 2011, 14:52

I haven't heard of this series at all. When was it made? While it doesn't really sound like my style (I'm not a mech person at all) I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.

Also, "her" reviews ;)
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Jan 2011, 14:55

Whoops. It was made in 2007. Mech combat isn't prominent in the series so I say give it a look because the character interactions are fun.
gcninja

!~

Postby gcninja » 22 Jan 2011, 15:26

You know what you guys need to watch?
Boku no Pico! Look heres a review!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAO3EkLCy0k

Also, I watched evangelion 1.11 You are (not) alone, I'll review it later.
Is it bad I've never seen Akira? I was going to rent it from netflix but its not available
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 22 Jan 2011, 15:28

One of my favorite recent anime series has been Durarara, which follows a wide cast of characters, including high school students, gang members, a headless horseman, a Russian sushi chef, a freelance underground doctor, shadowy pharmaceutical executives, and an army of mindless, knife-wielding killers in the Ikebukuro distrcit of Tokyo. I'd get more in depth on series, but there are tons of potential spoilers that I'd let on, such as that <SPOILER> a major part of the plot is a 4chan analogue mobilizing and coming to the rescue in real life.</SPOILER> Expect a mix of the mundane and fantastic with a splash of action sequences with an infectious soundtrack.

The series, based on a continuing light novel series, ran for 24 episodes in 2010. Subtitled episodes can be found on Crunchyroll, and the first volume of sub/dub DVDs have started a limited retail release.
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 22 Jan 2011, 15:32

I haven't seen Durarara, but if you have I presume you have already seen Baccano! as well? It's by the same creators and is totally awesome.

And gcninja, I haven't seen Akira either. Nor do I really want to.

Edit: mistyped the name of the series >_<
Last edited by Tapir12 on 22 Jan 2011, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 22 Jan 2011, 15:34

Tapir12 wrote:I haven't seen Duradura, but if you have I presume you have already seen Baccano! as well? It's by the same creators and is totally awesome.

And gcninja, I haven't seen Akira either. Nor do I really want to.

I've seen part of it; enough to recognize a cameo of some Baccano! characters in Durarara. ;P
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 22 Jan 2011, 15:41

I've never seen baccano but I LOVED Durarara. and there are references to baccano, even the password for the Dollars site is Baccano <_<.
I do want to see akira, A) because its "the anime movie of all anime movies" or soemthing like that and B) theres talk of a live action Akira movie and I want to see the differences in them

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 22 Jan 2011, 23:35

Kaiba – 8/10

The first thing you notice about Kaiba is the unusual art style. It looks simple and childish. To be honest, this kept me away from the series for a long time, but a series of positive reviews finally prompted me to check it out. It turns out that while the style is simple, the quality of the animation is superb and it suited the story very well.

The story itself takes place in a universe where memories can be extracted from the body and transferred to another one in the form of a chip. However, this process is expensive and the poor of the world have had enough of having to literally sell their bodies to get by. Our main character is a boy who has lost all his memories and quickly loses his body. As he searches for his body and his identity, he comes across a series of interesting characters and situations.

The characters are fairly well developed and diverse, especially for a show of just 12 episodes. The director makes excellent use of the art style to populate these worlds with fascinating people, architecture and devices. The sound effects match perfectly and really enhance the effect, along with the terrific, fitting music.

One of the downsides of Kaiba, however, is that the story is not entirely linear and can become extremely confusing at points, especially in the last two episodes, which felt rushed and unclear. There are a few plot points that seem contrived and convenient and I didn’t feel as satisfied at the end as I had been in the middle. But despite this drawback, Kaiba is an interesting and engaging series with creative art and gorgeous animation. Recommended for people who like to get swallowed up in a world that is rich and fluid, just don’t expect to understand it.

Last edited by Tapir12 on 22 Jan 2011, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”