firefox is awesome

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Kathleen
LRR Crew
Posts: 2917
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 19:43
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special
Location: Vancougar
Contact:

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Kathleen » 09 Oct 2010, 09:52

metcarfre wrote:I actually prefer Internet Explorer's earlier work.


I know, the sophomore outing totally lacked focus.

Anyhow, I use Chrome and it's amazing. It has a function called 'sync bookmarks across computers' - which means it's super easy to work from home because a lot of the stuff I do at work is web based.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
User avatar
Gap Filler
Posts: 1665
Joined: 29 Apr 2010, 05:22
First Video: The Job
Location: a place no respectable man would be seen in
Contact:

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Gap Filler » 09 Oct 2010, 10:39

Firefox is the preferred browser on my desktops due to the general ruggedness, whereas Chrome's the preferred browser on my lappy's due to the more stripped down feel. Safari on anything other than a Mac doesn't make a very good fit in my hands although that might be more the user than the browser. My (admittedly brief) experiences with Opera left the impression of a cutdown Safari with bits of Firefox taped on.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
User avatar
Keab42
Posts: 6662
Joined: 27 May 2009, 16:38
Location: In England

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Keab42 » 09 Oct 2010, 10:54

Firefox 4 has a sync feature. It's still in beta right now, but I'm really enjoying it.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Oct 2010, 12:33

Really? There's an idea...

I use Firefox but I couldn't tell you why. I'm one of those people for whom a browser is a browser is a browser. Hell, I still haven't figured out this RSS business. I never even bookmark things; I just hope I'll remember them.
*
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby empath » 09 Oct 2010, 13:45

Kathleen wrote:
metcarfre wrote:I actually prefer Internet Explorer's earlier work.


I know, the sophomore outing totally lacked focus.


Pshaw; Nothing - NOTHING has ever come close to the pure brilliance that was Mosaic; Netscape tried to repeat its success and failed, IE has always come off as too commercial, Firefox keeps trying to be all things to all people, Opera is nice but just can't figure out what people want and subsequently never gets any attention, Chrome seems already more bought-and-sold by the businessmen than IE, and Safari is only used by snobs.
{/joke}


I use Firefox; as mentioned it's amazingly configurable, at the price of easily becoming bloat-ware, but by keeping a close eye on it, it does just what I need.

I think it was best said that different browsers are better for different people; FF is the one that matches my needs.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
iamafish
Posts: 4804
Joined: 22 Feb 2009, 10:28
First Video: Crime and Punishment
Location: Oxford/Worcestershire, England
Contact:

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby iamafish » 09 Oct 2010, 18:08

well i used chrome when it was still in beta, so I've liked it far longer than you and furthermore I like it more than you [/indie snobbery]
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby empath » 10 Oct 2010, 14:55

iamafish wrote:well i used chrome when it was still in beta, so I've liked it far longer than you and furthermore I like it more than you [/indie snobbery]


*rolls eyes* Since I've expressed disdain for Chrome, I'm SURE I agree with you liking it more than me.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
iamafish
Posts: 4804
Joined: 22 Feb 2009, 10:28
First Video: Crime and Punishment
Location: Oxford/Worcestershire, England
Contact:

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby iamafish » 10 Oct 2010, 15:09

I wasn't talking to you, you don't like the web browser that I love for perfectly valid reason that I phail to comprehend! You're dead to me!
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
User avatar
Jack
Posts: 269
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 16:20
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable
Location: Midwest USA...in England

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Jack » 10 Oct 2010, 16:27

I like Firefox and Chrome, though I haven't used Chrome nearly as much. I used to only use IE, but since I've gotten Firefox I haven't used it.
What are you looking at.
User avatar
theashigaru
Posts: 206
Joined: 08 Apr 2008, 15:14
First Video: The Con
Location: South Carolina

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby theashigaru » 10 Oct 2010, 21:50

Opera is my personal preference. The speed dial is really nice for the pages I visit all the time. The mouse gestures are handy and built-in so you don't have to find an extension. Opera Unite and Link are also cool features that I use sometimes. Overall, the interface is clean and everything is easy to find and use.

Firefox is fine, and probably a bit more customizable, but since Opera has all the features I like/need right in the base package, then why not?
Is it safe?
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Oct 2010, 03:49

I really like the way the url bar in Firefox 3.x works after you set it to only match sites you have typed. At work I always use the same few pages so being able to jump to the page I want with ctrl-l then part of the url is quite nice.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
ZanasoBayncuh
Posts: 91
Joined: 15 Jan 2009, 18:12
First Video: Fun with Microwaves
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby ZanasoBayncuh » 11 Oct 2010, 04:01

Keab42 wrote:But given that it's not supported on XP, that kinda negates that aspect of it.


Uh.... wait, what's not supported on XP? I ask because if you're under the impression that Chrome is not supported, I can assure you, the fact that I'm posting THIS POST is evidence otherwise.
"People demand the freedom of speech in compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use." ~Søren Kierkegaard
User avatar
Keab42
Posts: 6662
Joined: 27 May 2009, 16:38
Location: In England

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Keab42 » 11 Oct 2010, 07:50

Oh sorry, that was in reference to Internet Explorer 9. It's in beta right now, but the UI goes a step further than Chrome with regard to what it cuts out.

Chrome is great for netbooks, and is supported on XP.

IE9 isn't because M$ wants you to stop using a 9-year old OS and fork out some cash again.

Of course that's going to screw with businesses because eventually M$ will stop supporting IE7 & 8, just as they've now done with 6.

I have to use Chrome on my computer for some websites at the moment, but that's because I'm daft enough to be using beta versions of IE and FF right now so some site don't always work.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
User avatar
Tetsubo
Posts: 489
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 22:45
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire, USA

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Tetsubo » 11 Oct 2010, 14:24

I recently switched to Chrome from Firefox. I was having some issues with Firefox and YouTube meshing well. As I post a YT video everyday, this is a problem for me. Things are running much smoother for me using Chrome.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
User avatar
saulfenky2470
Posts: 252
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 20:14
First Video: the job

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby saulfenky2470 » 11 Oct 2010, 17:12

Keab42 wrote:Firefox 4 has a sync feature. It's still in beta right now, but I'm really enjoying it.


4??? when did that come out??
DO A HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

ImageImageImage
User avatar
the amativeness
Posts: 3735
Joined: 31 Jul 2008, 19:53
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby the amativeness » 11 Oct 2010, 18:19

saulfenky2470 wrote:
Keab42 wrote:Firefox 4 has a sync feature. It's still in beta right now, but I'm really enjoying it.


4??? when did that come out??


Um... it's in BETA. Due for release NET November 2010
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
User avatar
saulfenky2470
Posts: 252
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 20:14
First Video: the job

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby saulfenky2470 » 11 Oct 2010, 18:25

the amativeness wrote:
saulfenky2470 wrote:
Keab42 wrote:Firefox 4 has a sync feature. It's still in beta right now, but I'm really enjoying it.


4??? when did that come out??


Um... it's in BETA. Due for release NET November 2010


oh ew. i hate beta stuff. i beta tested a game once, it was aweful, thought it would be fun but then i almost had a brain bleed from the shit it had wrong with it
DO A HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

ImageImageImage
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby theDreamer » 11 Oct 2010, 18:39

I use firefox.

I use firefox on my desktop, I use firefox on my laptop, I use firefox on the computers in math society, I use firefox when I'm forced to sully myself with the Mac Labs in an effort to complete my calculus assignments that is: use one of our free Macs at these TERRIBLY USELESS TIMES or buy a hundred dollar piece of software.

Your choice!
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
saulfenky2470
Posts: 252
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 20:14
First Video: the job

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby saulfenky2470 » 11 Oct 2010, 18:49

the only thing i found wrong with firefox is that its really easy to get a "virus" on them. like one time i went to facebook, and then all the sudden like a billion taps kept opening and i couldnt close them fast enough. had to restart firefox. same page and it was gone.
DO A HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

ImageImageImage
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby theDreamer » 11 Oct 2010, 18:51

Watchoo talkin' 'bout willis?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Oct 2010, 18:52

That's a bug or a glitch, not a virus. I've never had anything like that happen to me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
the amativeness
Posts: 3735
Joined: 31 Jul 2008, 19:53
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby the amativeness » 11 Oct 2010, 18:52

saulfenky2470 wrote:the only thing i found wrong with firefox is that its really easy to get a "virus" on them. like one time i went to facebook, and then all the sudden like a billion taps kept opening and i couldnt close them fast enough. had to restart firefox. same page and it was gone.


1) Get a Mac </joke>.
2) Ad Block Plus <-Firefox Add-on
3) Flashblock <-Firefox Add-on
4) STOP LOOKING AT PRØN!
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
JustAName
Posts: 7669
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 21:08
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby JustAName » 11 Oct 2010, 20:09

1) Don't get a mac.
2) No, seriously, don't.
3) Go get Myst because it is the best game ever and a far more constructive use of your time.
4) [REDACTED]
5) Profit!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.


And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Image
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5982
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby King Kool » 11 Oct 2010, 20:23

Fayili wrote:1) Don't get a mac.
2) No, seriously, don't.
3) Go get Myst because it is the best game ever and a far more constructive use of your time.
4) [REDACTED]
5) Profit!


I think I love you.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
JustAName
Posts: 7669
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 21:08
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: firefox is awesome

Postby JustAName » 11 Oct 2010, 20:45

*bows with a flourish*
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.


And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Image

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests