The Confession Topic: Get It Off Your Chest!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Re: The Confession Topic: Get It Off Your Chest!

Postby Wraith » 29 Nov 2010, 17:56

The first time I was offered sex I was fourteen. The first time I was offered a threesome was seventeen. I lost count of the offers since then.

A little over a month ago, on my wedding night, I was glad I waited.
-Wraith
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 29 Nov 2010, 17:58

I really hate when people ask me "What are you going to do once you finish THIS degree?" Um... see what door is open and go from there. Not like planning worked so well the first time around, huh? So stop F'ing asking me. I don't have a crystal ball, I can't see the future.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 29 Nov 2010, 20:09

"WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A B.A IN ENGLISH?"

"Whatever I fucking want, prick."

(...I'm a CS major, this doesn't really apply, but you get the idea...)
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 29 Nov 2010, 21:43

"so what do you do with a degree in ancient history? teach?"

i hate that question. Most jobs don't require a specific degree. I will have more job prospects after my degree than you will with your degree in dentistry. Oddly enough 18 if far too young to decide how I want to spend the rest of my life.

sorry, rant over
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Nov 2010, 22:26

Wraith wrote:The first time I was offered sex I was fourteen. The first time I was offered a threesome was seventeen. I lost count of the offers since then.

...wait, what?

No offense, Wraith, but... YOU waited? Like, for your wedding night?

2stepz wrote:I really hate when people ask me "What are you going to do once you finish THIS degree?" Um... see what door is open and go from there. Not like planning worked so well the first time around, huh? So stop F'ing asking me. I don't have a crystal ball, I can't see the future.

Oh, man. I had someone at school say, "What are you going to do with a theatre degree?" And I said, "Do theatre. Why, what's your major?" They said, "English." The only one MORE useless.

GUH.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Nov 2010, 22:38

iamafish wrote:"so what do you do with a degree in ancient history? teach?"

i hate that question. Most jobs don't require a specific degree. I will have more job prospects after my degree than you will with your degree in dentistry. Oddly enough 18 if far too young to decide how I want to spend the rest of my life.

sorry, rant over

Confession time; when I took a sociology course there was short section at the end that was basically titled, "What can I do with a degree in Sociology?" Basically? Use it as leverage to get an office job was about the best they could come up with. My opinion of the humanities and social sciences has been irrevocably changed ever since. Not in their favour.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Nov 2010, 22:55

King Kool wrote:
Wraith wrote:The first time I was offered sex I was fourteen. The first time I was offered a threesome was seventeen. I lost count of the offers since then.

...wait, what?

Given what I've gathered about Wraith from his posts, I find it hardly surprising. In the grand scheme of things, I'd have put at least 60% odds on that, actually.

As for university degrees, except for those that are relevant to specific fields (and those are, well, only relevant in those specific fields), all bachelor-level degrees these days are basically about equally useless, from what I've gathered. If you want to use your academic background as a leg-up in the job search, you need at least a Masters. Otherwise, you just try to slowly weasel your way into whatever field interests you career wise through work experience and transfers within companies. You still get a lot of parents and teachers pushing the idea that you have to take hard sciences to keep your options open (and in their day, there was some truth to that). These days though, having at least some university education for any remotely skilled job is the norm, whether it was in arts or in science doesn't matter, so long as you can put down that you have a bachelor's degree on your resume. So you might as well take what you enjoy.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 29 Nov 2010, 22:55

Dude, English ain't useless if you're lookin' to go into editing books, etc.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Nov 2010, 23:01

If you know you want to be an book editor, then yes, take English. Just as if you know you want to be a biochemist, computer programmer, or accountant, you'd take a biochem, CS, or business degree (and hopefully enjoy them). However I'd wager that most people going through university these days do not have such a clearly defined end-goal in mind that would benefit from specific degree programs, and are just going through university because it's expected of them, and necessary to gain a nebulously defined "good job".
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Nov 2010, 23:11

Fayili wrote:Dude, English ain't useless if you're lookin' to go into editing books, etc.

Of course. That's not exactly what I meant. I more meant that it's not specialized, and people with English degrees go off and do pretty much whatever (as opposed to, say, forensic chemistry).
a winner is you. - Ash
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 29 Nov 2010, 23:16

Though in fairness I don't think many places offer a BACHELORS in forensic chemistry.

I know so many people who are working outside the field of their degree (including myself). I just think it's funny when the biologist gets a job at the bank and the business major doesn't.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 29 Nov 2010, 23:26

King Kool wrote:

...wait, what?

None taken. Yes, I waited. It wasn't easy, as my sex drive doesn't seem to have an "off" switch. Like, ever. And being the only guy in a three or four person pile of writhing, sweaty nakedness certainly had its appeal. But at the end of the day, the primal side of my brain that just wants to fight men and fuck women just didn't seem like the side of me that I wanted to put in the driver's seat.

Ultimately, I'm glad I decided to wait. I'm glad that me and Rocket are the only ones we've ever shared that experience with. I can't imagine it ever being as good with someone I didn't have this level of feelings for.

Not to mention the lady is damn talented, if I do say so myself. :wink:
Last edited by Wraith on 30 Nov 2010, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 29 Nov 2010, 23:31

Every time someone talks about how great college is, I simultaneously want to cry and punch the wall until my knuckles bleed. But I just smile and enthuse with them.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Nov 2010, 23:37

Wraith wrote:Not to mention the lady is damn talented, if I do say so myself. :wink:

So many inappropriate responses... rad nauseum...
a winner is you. - Ash
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 30 Nov 2010, 01:09

Master Gunner wrote:My father is past retirement age and is still trying to find a job that suits him. Sometimes one never fins that perfect job, sometimes it comes out of left field when you aren't looking. The trick in the meantime is to find some hobbies that you enjoy, and settle for a job that you can at least stand for now. Take up kayaking or something.

/advicethatshouldbetakenwithatruckloadofsalt

Problem now is finding a job I can stand. I know I'll probably never find that one hundred percent dream job kind of work, but I do need something to at least challenge me. Up to now my longest was like 2 years in a job before I really couldn't take it anymore, with some other jobs I get depressed to the point of unable to work after a few months.

So I do hope I find something to at least do for a few years.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 30 Nov 2010, 05:19

I thought I wanted to be a teacher .. guide the children into a better future and that kind of stuff, but after doing work experience at a school I'm not so sure ... I get too emotionally invested in the problems that the students have, so I think it'd just be too much and I'd probably hit the wall.

What bothers me about that was that becoming a teacher was the only idea I had for something to become ... now I'm lost again, and when I don't have a goal I get demotivated.

I'm still young, so I guess it's not much a problem, but I easily get depressed and feel alot of anguish when I feel like I'm not going anywhere in life.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Nov 2010, 08:15

I guess I had a problem with it because they gave the impression that you couldn't really do anything with it (Sociology) other than use it as a general degree or move into academia.

Conversely, I myself with a BSc in Biochemistry am doing medical research (very close to my degree), my many friends from my department have all gone on to do work in our field or medical school (with a few exceptions - it is a rough economy after all), my business friends are either successfully managing businesses (their own or others'), my friends who took teaching teach, who took social work are doing social work, creative writing -> running a bookstore, editing, and publishing work, comp sci -> work at games companies or doctoral work on theoretical data archiving systems, public health -> injury prevention... the list goes on.
goat

Postby goat » 30 Nov 2010, 11:01

Or you could end up like me: BSc in Biochemistry and 6 months out of college and still out of work. For me, going to back to undergrad sounds pretty good.

It seems that unless you have actual research experience as an undergrad, it is nigh on fucking impossible to get a research job as a graduate. I seriously dread having to take a factory job or something to get by. My mind turns to mush after just a few days.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Nov 2010, 11:31

goat wrote:It seems that unless you have actual research experience as an undergrad, it is nigh on fucking impossible to get a research job as a graduate.

Well... yeah. Don't they have co-op where you are?

Personally I'd say go for a crap job and do interesting/relevant stuff on the side, but I know it's easier said than done...
goat

Postby goat » 30 Nov 2010, 11:50

metcarfre wrote:
goat wrote:It seems that unless you have actual research experience as an undergrad, it is nigh on fucking impossible to get a research job as a graduate.

Well... yeah. Don't they have co-op where you are?

Personally I'd say go for a crap job and do interesting/relevant stuff on the side, but I know it's easier said than done...

Yeah... it's that whole "having to payback your student loans" bit. I'll work my tail off to get some experience, but I have to keep the sharks in the pond and a roof over my head. The latter of the two being kindly supplied by my parents at the moment, but who are, both of them, inconveniently miles from the nearest research institution. Ah, the midwest... so much room, and nothing to put in it.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 07 Dec 2010, 13:26

i have a confession: i am a spambot.

CLICK HEREFOR CHRISTMAS CHEER
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 07 Dec 2010, 13:29

You do know if we scroll our mouse over your link, it says what it is, right?
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 07 Dec 2010, 13:30

bleep bloop?
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 11 Dec 2010, 08:15

Confession: I...I'm a girl that likes Star Wars.

true story
Last edited by Danielle Pepin on 11 Dec 2010, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 11 Dec 2010, 08:18

Also I went to college for Digital Media Arts and now learning more of what I like and don't want from related film making volunteer work.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI

Return to “General Discussion”