A question for anybody in a college in Canada

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Pirate James

A question for anybody in a college in Canada

Postby Pirate James » 09 Mar 2006, 17:15

How do you get financial aid. I might switch schools to Canada and I'm curious as to the money situation. You see, I have no money. I figured this was the place to ask.
Paul wrote:Being creative and entertaining is easy. The hard part is actually getting off your ass and doing something with your creative and entertaining ideas.
Lissette Arevalo

Postby Lissette Arevalo » 09 Mar 2006, 17:31

If you move here it would be possible to obtain a provincial and a federal student loan. Those are easy to apply for and pretty easy to obtain. However, if you would be on a student visa tuition would sky rocket due to international education fees, it's retarded.

But just google (insert province here) student finance, and something should come up that will help.

Hope this helped:)
>)i(<
Pirate James

Postby Pirate James » 09 Mar 2006, 17:38

Thanks! That did help quite a bit. According to the information I found, anybody at my school who's a citizen or landed immigrant can obtain a student loan. I think I'm a landed immigrant.
Paul wrote:Being creative and entertaining is easy. The hard part is actually getting off your ass and doing something with your creative and entertaining ideas.
Izzy2120
First Video: Four Guys and a box of hats

Postby Izzy2120 » 09 Mar 2006, 17:55

Most Excellent Dude, good luck, be sure to study the LRR Canada Day Special, lol
NO! I'm not saying it's your fault, I'm just Blaming you.....
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 09 Mar 2006, 18:33

I dunno how it works in Canada (as I've always been someone they had no choice about taking on as a citizen), but in the 'States, you need to live in the country for at least 4-5 years as a Resident Alien before you become 'landed citizen'.

And the old man had to spend several years here with a work visa before hec ould even get resident ailen status.

I've been 'citizen-ish' for about six years now, and they could still expel me from the US with a squint of their eyes or dissatisfied twitch of their nose.
Pirate James

Postby Pirate James » 09 Mar 2006, 19:21

That worrys me.
Lissette Arevalo

Postby Lissette Arevalo » 09 Mar 2006, 20:40

Pirate James wrote:That worrys me.

I don't think you should worry too much. I was accepted to the Uni of Wahinton back in the day, and for shame, I didn't get my student visa due to paper issues. But the loan part was more than available to me.

You could also get a loan from your state and apply for bursuries. That may work a little better. Anywho, I hope you have some luck!:)
>)i(<
Pirate James

Postby Pirate James » 09 Mar 2006, 22:14

That makes me feel a lot better. BUT... can my financial aid from the USA be used in Canada?
Lissette Arevalo

Postby Lissette Arevalo » 10 Mar 2006, 00:37

HMMM, that is a good question, and I think you should research it with your state or federal financial aid services. I would also look at the student visa, becuase if you have a cat. 6 visa it will allow you to work. But it's more like a safety thing for me...I'm a little OCD.
>)i(<
Pirate James

Postby Pirate James » 10 Mar 2006, 08:03

I need a special type of visa to work?
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 11 Mar 2006, 17:45

Pirate James wrote:I need a special type of visa to work?

Not per-se.

But you do need a special type of visa to work legally.

In theory, I'm sure you could do 'non-contract gruntwork' (like ldropping heavy things on yourself at a construction site or sticking yourself to a building with roofing tar) if you can find someone crooked enough to take you.

And you may-or-may-not have to work for stale bread instead of money.

I dunno. Depends where you are. I've spent most of my working-time in Southern Ontario, which is the 'uptight accountant' portion of Canada, and I'm pretty sure you'd have problems finding under-the-table work in Double-choco-extra-frothy-half-caf-two-shot-vanilla-mocha-late-with-a-twist-land (Vancouver, and probably Victoria)... then again, I might just be blind to the corruption of our wonderful little system.

Well, your wonderful little system. It's not gonna be 'my little system' for another five months or so.

And where I am, I *know* that more or less *every* aspect of the system is corrupt. 'You got a problem wi'ddat?
ontarianfrog
First Video: It was back in 04.. How would I remember

Postby ontarianfrog » 15 Mar 2006, 20:30

as of this year, it is really easy to get a working visa i heard.

Return to “General Discussion”