how does spider man climb walls?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
allison
Posts: 391
Joined: 02 Jul 2008, 19:19
Location: Victoria
Contact:

how does spider man climb walls?

Postby allison » 25 Oct 2010, 14:28

does spider man have super strong, sharp, little hooks on his fingers? is this why mary jane is always so unhappy?
Image
Image
User avatar
Gordon Fearman
Posts: 4684
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 22:15
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Oct 2010, 14:32

In the movies, yes.

In the comics, I assume that he can use Spideysense or something.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Image
Image
(PM me if this pic is too big.)
User avatar
Theremin
Posts: 7603
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 12:24
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.
Location: Bristol, England

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Theremin » 25 Oct 2010, 14:33

I think it's sticky little hairs, like a gecko.
User avatar
Keab42
Posts: 6662
Joined: 27 May 2009, 16:38
Location: In England

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Keab42 » 25 Oct 2010, 14:33

Given that that's how spiders do it, but then his hands are covered by his outfit so maybe he uses a special material for the gloves.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Oct 2010, 14:42

Spiders climb smooth surfaces like glass due to their Scopulae, basically microscopic hairs at the ends of their legs, which take advantage of van der Walls force, the sum attraction/repulsion between molecules. The adhesion created by the scopulae and van der Walls force allow spiders to hoist up to 170 times their body weight. How Spiderman does it is because physics don't apply in comic-book or movie world. Keep in mind that if Spiderman did, in fact, have the proportional strength and agility/dexterity of a spider, he'd actually be far weaker than a normal human thanks to the square-cube law (as the mass of a creature increases with the cube of it's size, while capillary, lung, and total surface area, as well as other aspects related to maintaining total strength, only go up by the square).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
Bananafish
Posts: 2914
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 11:19

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Bananafish » 25 Oct 2010, 15:00

Master Gunner wrote:Spiders climb smooth surfaces like glass due to their Scopulae, basically microscopic hairs at the ends of their legs, which take advantage of van der Walls force, the sum attraction/repulsion between molecules. The adhesion created by the scopulae and van der Walls force allow spiders to hoist up to 170 times their body weight. How Spiderman does it is because physics don't apply in comic-book or movie world. Keep in mind that if Spiderman did, in fact, have the proportional strength and agility/dexterity of a spider, he'd actually be far weaker than a normal human thanks to the square-cube law (as the mass of a creature increases with the cube of it's size, while capillary, lung, and total surface area, as well as other aspects related to maintaining total strength, only go up by the square).


How does Superman fly
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Oct 2010, 15:03

He doesn't. That's actually just fancy falling.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Matt » 25 Oct 2010, 15:04

Master Gunner wrote:He doesn't. That's actually just fancy falling.


"Falling with style"

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Oct 2010, 15:14

I haven't actually seen Toy Story since it was in theaters, three-quarters of my life ago.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
gcninja
Posts: 4698
Joined: 13 Dec 2008, 11:57
Location: Grand Canyon, AZ

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby gcninja » 25 Oct 2010, 15:16

EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Image
Buksvager!
User avatar
allison
Posts: 391
Joined: 02 Jul 2008, 19:19
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby allison » 25 Oct 2010, 15:39

the flying always confused me.. i thought it was because he was used to higher gravity on his home planet. but then wouldn't he ALWAYS have to hop around like he's on the moon?
also i think hairy, rough fingers would ruin foreplay... spider man would be a terrible lover. unless you REALLY like heights i guess
Image

Image
User avatar
Vigafre
Posts: 3920
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 13:07
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Vigafre » 25 Oct 2010, 15:43

Superman wouldn't be much better. Faster than a speeding bullet? That might not only apply running.

Also, there's the super strength thing.
User avatar
allison
Posts: 391
Joined: 02 Jul 2008, 19:19
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby allison » 25 Oct 2010, 16:34

Vigafre wrote:Superman wouldn't be much better. Faster than a speeding bullet? That might not only apply running.

Also, there's the super strength thing.


at least he's not tobey maguire
Image

Image
User avatar
Gordon Fearman
Posts: 4684
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 22:15
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Oct 2010, 16:54

allison wrote:the flying always confused me.. i thought it was because he was used to higher gravity on his home planet. but then wouldn't he ALWAYS have to hop around like he's on the moon?
also i think hairy, rough fingers would ruin foreplay... spider man would be a terrible lover. unless you REALLY like heights i guess

That's Golden Era Superman. But he couldn't fly. Silver Era Superman gets his power from the Sun, so presumably he shoots rainbows out of his ass.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Image
Image
(PM me if this pic is too big.)
User avatar
goat
Posts: 3710
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 20:59

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby goat » 25 Oct 2010, 17:10

allison wrote:also i think hairy, rough fingers would ruin foreplay... spider man would be a terrible lover. unless you REALLY like heights i guess


On the other hand, I bet Spiderman is super popular with the girls who are into bondage.

Just try and get that image out of your head.

Oh god, why won't it stop...
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Oct 2010, 17:18

TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby theDreamer » 25 Oct 2010, 18:03

*shakes his head in dismay*
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
allison
Posts: 391
Joined: 02 Jul 2008, 19:19
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby allison » 25 Oct 2010, 19:34


...like twilight... :o
Image

Image
User avatar
allison
Posts: 391
Joined: 02 Jul 2008, 19:19
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby allison » 25 Oct 2010, 19:37

goat wrote:
allison wrote:also i think hairy, rough fingers would ruin foreplay... spider man would be a terrible lover. unless you REALLY like heights i guess


On the other hand, I bet Spiderman is super popular with the girls who are into bondage.

Just try and get that image out of your head.

Oh god, why won't it stop...


well maybe if it was the evil spider man
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-ad ... -mask.html
like, look at that tongue, mmm mmm mm
did i make that image worse for you?
Image

Image
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby theDreamer » 25 Oct 2010, 19:43

...That...that isn't evil spiderman...that's venom...why? WHY MUST YOU HURT ME SO?!
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
Dubious_wolf
Posts: 2761
Joined: 30 Nov 2009, 09:52
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2
Location: My room eating YOUR cheese-its

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Dubious_wolf » 25 Oct 2010, 19:58

Not according to the 3rd movie. (Which was bad...)
Incidentally go watch how it should have ended: Spiderman 3 on youtube, if you haven't already.
^( " )^
winner!
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby theDreamer » 25 Oct 2010, 20:05

OR read some of the damned comics.

Seriously.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
Gordon Fearman
Posts: 4684
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 22:15
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Oct 2010, 20:08

DC COMICS AND CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE
SOME THINGS WILL ALWAYS-

Hang about. This is Marvel. Right...
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Image
Image
(PM me if this pic is too big.)
User avatar
Dubious_wolf
Posts: 2761
Joined: 30 Nov 2009, 09:52
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2
Location: My room eating YOUR cheese-its

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby Dubious_wolf » 25 Oct 2010, 20:12

theDreamer wrote:OR read some of the damned comics.

Seriously.


agreed. I just thought since everyone here enjoys internet based comedic videos it was an appropriate thing to throw out there.
^( " )^
winner!
User avatar
goat
Posts: 3710
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 20:59

Re: how does spider man climb walls?

Postby goat » 26 Oct 2010, 08:44

allison wrote:
goat wrote:
allison wrote:also i think hairy, rough fingers would ruin foreplay... spider man would be a terrible lover. unless you REALLY like heights i guess


On the other hand, I bet Spiderman is super popular with the girls who are into bondage.

Just try and get that image out of your head.

Oh god, why won't it stop...


well maybe if it was the evil spider man
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-ad ... -mask.html
like, look at that tongue, mmm mmm mm
did i make that image worse for you?



Yes. Yes you did.

*cries himself to sleep*
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests