top 5 with Lisa Foiles

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Re: top 5 with Lisa Foiles

Postby LogicSword » 02 Dec 2010, 02:35

elvor wrote:To respond specifically to LogicSword's last sentance, would there be as much hate for this series if she was a guy?

Last edited by LogicSword on 22 Sep 2013, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 02 Dec 2010, 06:45

I didn't know making a top number here list show thingie would make me money. WELP! Time to throw out my old scripts, and start anew
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Dec 2010, 08:04

The thing about Cracked's top x lists as that they find actually interesting things to talk about (a lot of the time, at least). This was not interesting in the slightest. As for the presenter: Regardless of her credentials, she chose a wardrobe that emphasized her sexuality to an unnecessary extent. Being the main focus of the series, of course there's more emphasis on her to look good than there is on, say, Kathleen. However there are many other styles that could have made her look good attracted audiences in, she could have gone quirky, classy, average-nerdy, ridiculous hat-y (though perhaps LRR has exclusive rights to ridiculous hats on the Escapist). However she went right for "sexy", which is obviously going to overshadow the actual content of the show in the minds of viewers. This does not bode well for the future of the show, and if I just want to look at a video of an attractive woman, this is the internet, there's plenty of other places for that.

I may give her another chance, but either the content has to improve fast, or I'm out.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Dec 2010, 09:19

For Cracked, lists are what they DO. They research them and they're brilliantly written.

Top 5 (or 10) lists on gaming sites are the "it's easy/run out of ideas" fallback.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Dec 2010, 09:22

I only even brought craked up as an example of the fact that when well done, lists don't have to suck.

Whether or not these will is yet to be seen.

-m

I am not angry at you.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 Dec 2010, 09:31

The lists on GameFAQs are typically awful. Lists like that are only good when they're written from a perspective of great knowledge.

This one was on IMDb yesterday, and I thought it was excellent.

http://filmstubs.blogspot.com/2010/11/1 ... their.html
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 09:36

elvor wrote:Lol at all the "Clearly they are just having a hot chick present it to get cheap viewers" and then being surprised to find out she's actually the one behind it responses.

To respond specifically to LogicSword's last sentance, would there be as much hate for this series if she was a guy?

Anyway, I watched it, it was reasonably funny, will watch again until it gets boring.

Which I fear maybe reasonably soon.

Wait why is it funny that that we would be surprised. Our society has done anything it's instilled in us the idea that women who are hot are usually idiots. In away it is to be expected. Now if she had changed here wardrobe and gone with a more geek chic approac I think we can all safetly assume our perception of her would be different. Especially if she was wearing glasses.
^( " )^
winner!
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 09:38

Starstruck. Both Graham and Matt posted in my thread. Awesome.

To avoid being accused of pointless double posts....
I think this show might be enhanced by placing the videogame clip in the forefront and maybe have her in a PIP for brief moments of the clip. That way it will make the list and videogame appear to be the actual subject.
Last edited by Dubious_wolf on 02 Dec 2010, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
^( " )^
winner!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 02 Dec 2010, 09:39

So what you're saying is you're judging someone based solely on their appearance, and this is perfectly acceptable?

I assumed she wrote it.

But then again, I had no delusions that the actors in Big Bang Theory are actors, not geeks.

...Except for Walowitz. Appearing in Dr. Horrible made me think maybe...
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 09:44

I'm just saying that is how people normal react. It's not right it simply is what it is.

Judging people based off first impressions and how we perceive the person is a human thing to do. Its a natural instinct to group and categorize individuals based on physical characteristics. As much as we might think we sit in some ivory tower and transcend physical characteristics here on the Internet it's inevitable to judge people. The key is delving deeper and being willing to acknowledge your initial impression was incorrect.
^( " )^
winner!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Dec 2010, 10:05

Dubious_wolf wrote:Now if she had changed here wardrobe and gone with a more geek chic approac I think we can all safetly assume our perception of her would be different. Especially if she was wearing glasses.

Did you miss the large star wars tee shirt she was wearing for half the run time of the video?

-m

I am not angry at you.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 10:08

I commented on it earlier.

Wait half the run time? It Certainly didn't seem that long.
^( " )^
winner!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Dec 2010, 10:17

She only wore the Star Wars shirt during the intro and outro segments with her presumably roommates. If she had kept that outfit throughout, I still would be saying it lacked any content, but I'd be marginally less jaded about it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
sleepingzombieXD
First Video: lost planet

Postby sleepingzombieXD » 02 Dec 2010, 13:02

I like the show overall, the jokes and the style. I also liked most of the lead character, apart from a ,in my opinion, faint wiff of bimbo-ness. In my humble opinion I like the intro and ouro it was silly like the other jokes. Most importantely I liked the jokes and how she pulled a lot of things out of nothing.

The things I did not particulary LIKE was the bimbo-nes,clothes and that that the lead was abit too perky.
. . ."AHEM" In my defence, before you stereotypically acuse me of not liking girls, she is not ugly. (I am not being serious, I hope you would be smarter than that)

. . .the swedish was wrong too. . .I AM NOT DEEPLY HURT! T_T
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 17:03

Vigafre wrote:You should read the Internet more. Ever heard of Leigh Alexander? She's the news director at Gamasutra and she's been around longer than Lisa. And she writes REALLY good stuff.

She's been quoted on Extra Credits (before it was Extra Credits) a couple of times. That's where I heard of her.

Just so you know this post has finally pushed me to set up my RSS feeds on my computer. So I will read parts of the internet more.
^( " )^
winner!
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 02 Dec 2010, 17:12

I didn't feel she was dumb or that she wasn't the driving force behind the list, I just feel that (for a woman who wrote a piece of wanting more strong women in gaming) she relied on the cute and sexy factor a tad too much. I am hoping that as she grows into the role that she realises that there is more for her to tap into.
She has had acting work, I would like to see more of that really. A bit more range and maybe some work on the jokes and the program would be a lot better in my opinion. She doesn't need to ditch the skirt or the shirt, it was a tad too much "teehee silly me" for me.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 17:20

Dubious_wolf wrote:So I saw. My opinions of her being a front who simply presents material presented to her has been removed. In fact this new top five thing maybe an underestimation of her talents.

I direct you to a comment I made earlier upon discovering what she has also done.
^( " )^
winner!
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 02 Dec 2010, 20:20

I think it's exactly what they want it to be - a thin blonde chick in a spaggetti strap with a mini skirt talking about games... This will guaruntee them a very large fan base.

I think the content is boring and overdone (ZOMG top Geek Chic boyz sew kewt). I have no idea who she is but the girl passes off as faux geek, trying way to hard to be the new "it geek girl" (see: Felicia Day). I'd like to see better content come from her mouth, which might happen in future episodes. But the one thing that bothered me more than anything was the revert back to hand on hip pose. I hope she drops that as she gets more comfortable with her show.

That being said, she is adorable and like I mentioned.. this will draw in a large fanbase no matter what. I just wish the content screamed more than "I'm cute and sexy and talking about gammmmeee stuff"
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 02 Dec 2010, 21:06

This thread

misogyny
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2010, 22:23

Cybren wrote:This thread

misogyny

GTFO of my thread.
^( " )^
winner!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 02 Dec 2010, 23:10

I like it so far but I personally like lists. Hell every time I visit cracked, I'm there for at least an hour with ~10 tabs to read because I read one and at the bottom are more that I want to read.
Whether she was wearing a mini-skirt and spaghetti straps, jeans and a t-shirt or a business outfit I would watch because I like this stuff.

I will admit, I do like chicks in a good pair of eye-wear so that was a PLUS on the over all, not the over all
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 02 Dec 2010, 23:53

I don't think there's an image problem at all. Heck, that's probably going to be the biggest draw to the show in the first place. My problem is that... well for someone who has had professional work I figured it would be... better made I guess? The audio wasn't too great, and having PIP the whole time seemed a little pointless. The humor was pretty good though, so I can see this going either way.
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Angnor » 03 Dec 2010, 09:11

It's interesting, with all the worry about if this might be replacing ENN, nobody's noticing the show it does seem to have replaced.

Does this mean 'I Hit it With My Axe' is really gone?
Promise?
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 03 Dec 2010, 09:27

oh god it is. yay!
^( " )^
winner!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 03 Dec 2010, 10:19

ENN gets my vote over this. Not just because it's the LRR crew but because it's genuinely better!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “General Discussion”