Exobiologists Cry - Biochemists Spring Massive Boner

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Exobiologists Cry - Biochemists Spring Massive Boner

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2010, 10:31

Last edited by Metcarfre on 02 Dec 2010, 10:39, edited 3 times in total.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Re: Alien Life Form Discovered by NASA - Really!

Postby I X » 02 Dec 2010, 10:33

Aw, maaaan.
Last edited by I X on 02 Dec 2010, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Lies and Damn Lies.

Postby Matt » 02 Dec 2010, 10:34

I was about to correct your headline to "Life discovered by nasa" but that works, I guess.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 02 Dec 2010, 10:35

this is cool, not much more to say
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 02 Dec 2010, 10:36

The comments in the first article are mildly headhurty.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2010, 10:37

As a biochemist this is actually pretty rad. I'm gonna dig up and read this whole paper. I wonder if it uses arsenic in lieu of phosphorus in ATP?
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 02 Dec 2010, 10:39

DUDE THATS SO TIGHT!!! Ive always Thought this was possible. arsenic could totally be a viable alternative to phosphate... ok well maybe i haven't but it makes sense... yeah maybe not that either... oh well its still pretty cool. Actually i took a class in genetics and it makes some sense, but way over my head still. Also it seems like they didn't find a new for of life, but instead showed a posibility of new life.
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 02 Dec 2010, 10:53

How dare they not make a first contact with a hyper-advanced alien race!
Last edited by Spatial Coffee on 02 Dec 2010, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Exobiologists Cry - Biochemists Spring Massive Boner

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Dec 2010, 10:54

I'm loving every minute of this news myself, I've had so many head-to-wall moments with people over the years trying to tell them that life, being the damn tenacious thing it is, borderline cannot be the same in two instances across the universe, that the makeup on Earth cannot be the only possible combination.

Basically I get to say "I told you so" to everyone I've ever had this argument with.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 02 Dec 2010, 10:55

Spatial Coffee wrote:How dare they not make a first contact with a hyper-advanced alien race! >=(

They have, but thats old news.
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 02 Dec 2010, 10:57

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I'm loving every minute of this news myself, I've had so many head-to-wall moments with people over the years trying to tell them that life, being the damn tenacious thing it is, borderline cannot be the same in two instances across the universe, that the makeup on Earth cannot be the only possible combination.

Basically I get to say "I told you so" to everyone I've ever had this argument with.

I hope those people are smart enough to realise that you didn't actually disprove them. It's not even alien life. Alien life may still be all Star Trek.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2010, 11:00

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I'm loving every minute of this news myself, I've had so many head-to-wall moments with people over the years trying to tell them that life, being the damn tenacious thing it is, borderline cannot be the same in two instances across the universe, that the makeup on Earth cannot be the only possible combination.

What argument is that?

If it's, "life doesn't need carbon!", try again.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Dec 2010, 11:04

No, it's "life doesn't need an Earth-like planet!"
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2010, 11:10

It depends what you mean by 'Earth-like'.

There's numerous 'extreme' environments where microbiota exist and thrive on Earth, that may have parallels on other planets. Bacteria existing, preserved, in blocks of salt, or thriving in ultra-high-salt-content lakes. High-pressure, high-temperature, sulfur dependent bacteria around undersea vents. Etc.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 02 Dec 2010, 11:17

Lyinginbedmon wrote:No, it's "life doesn't need an Earth-like planet!"

Yeah, you didn't prove this at all. This life was formed on an extremely Earth-like planet.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Dec 2010, 11:39

*sigh*

I haven't proven anything. NASA has however shown that life doesn't need the same chemicals as most Earth life to survive. My issue before was that scientists only looked for Earth-like planets because they firmly believed that the way most life on Earth exists was the only way life could.

Now, yes, this new bacteria has evolved on Earth, the most Earth-like planet there is. That is not the point however. If it were, this would not be big news. The point is that life does not need the same chemicals, therefore my original gripe (that life elsewhere does not need to be at all like (most of) Earth's) is upheld.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 02 Dec 2010, 11:51

Lyinginbedmon wrote:The point is that life does not need the same chemicals, therefore my original gripe (that life elsewhere does not need to be at all like (most of) Earth's) is upheld.
I'm glad someone else gets this.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Dec 2010, 12:04

In brief, this discovery proves the viability of one of science fiction's greatest statements:

Life Jim, but not as we know it.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 Dec 2010, 12:08

Aaaand now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

In other news, this is pretty rad, but not wholly unsurprising. If things evolved due to the (commonly prevailing; please no more pedantry) conditions on Earth, who's to say that other conditions couldn't also spawn life, just different life? So yeah, cool, but not a shocker.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Dec 2010, 12:38

That life can spawn in extreme conditions is not overly surprising, what's surprising is that a lifeform managed to survive by replacing phosphorus in its DNA with arsenic, which produces byproducts that, if I understand correctly, were thought to be too unstable to allow for all the self-sustaining chemical reactions needed for the bacteria to survive. Another common thought experiment in regards to extra-terrestrial life is organisms that breath chlorine instead of oxygen, which Irregular Webcomic has a helpful annotation on, as well as all the associated difficulties with such a life form existing.

The possibility of life forming under radically different circumstances, using different building blocks, isn't new. Proving that it can and does happen, using elements that are less stable than what we use, is a shocker.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2010, 12:55

Interesting to note that should arsenic fully supplant phosphorus in the DNA backbone, it would actually make this organism's 'DNA' more chemically dissimilar to DNA than RNA is to DNA (does that make sense?). Considering all currently characterized lifeforms use very similar forms of DNA to code their genetic information, this is a huge find.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 02 Dec 2010, 13:30

I know a lot of people will be disappointed with this news, but frankly it's more or less what I expected it to be. Also, I think it's really cool.
#TeamKroze
goat

Postby goat » 02 Dec 2010, 13:47

metcarfre wrote:As a biochemist this is actually pretty rad. I'm gonna dig up and read this whole paper. I wonder if it uses arsenic in lieu of phosphorus in ATP?

According to the summary over on Bad Astronomy our new little friend only utilizes arsenic as a replacement for phosphorous when phosphorous is no longer available. From the sounds of it, they grew it with no phosphorous at one point without any difficulty. So, I'd venture to guess that you're right about the ATP business (or else it has some hyper-efficient phosphorous recycling process).

(http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... f-arsenic/)

metcarfre wrote:Interesting to note that should arsenic fully supplant phosphorus in the DNA backbone, it would actually make this organism's 'DNA' more chemically dissimilar to DNA than RNA is to DNA (does that make sense?). Considering all currently characterized lifeforms use very similar forms of DNA to code their genetic information, this is a huge find.

I dunno about dissimilar. I mean, in theory they should be relatively chemically analogous. It'll be a cherry, though, when we can figure out the mechanism of how it swaps the elements. My bet is on a swap out during replication, though a 1 to 1 swap during an S phase would be far cooler.

Also of interesting concern, is it capable of respiring using arsenic or does it just integrate it into its DNA* when it needs to?

*God, that feels like a line from CSI. Gonna take a little while to get used to saying that non-ironically.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2010, 14:04

When the researchers added radio-labelled arsenate to the solution to track its distribution, they found that arsenic was present in the cellular fractions containing the bacterium's proteins, lipids and metabolites such as ATP and glucose, as well as in the nucleic acids that made up its DNA and RNA.[4]

Within the DNA extracted from GFAJ-1 cells starved of phosphorus, arsenic bonded to oxygen in the same way phosphorus bonds to oxygen in normal DNA, and found that when cultured in arsenate solution it grew 60% as fast as it did in phosphate solution — not as well, but still robustly.[4]

So it seems the organism inflicts a penalty from using arsenic in lieu of phosphorus (makes sense, otherwise everyone would do it).
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 02 Dec 2010, 14:04

Ottoman wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:The point is that life does not need the same chemicals, therefore my original gripe (that life elsewhere does not need to be at all like (most of) Earth's) is upheld.
I'm glad someone else gets this.

I don't think anyone missed this.

Return to “General Discussion”