australia is STUPID!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

australia is STUPID!

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Dec 2010, 05:27

so, for those that don't know, we lost the soccer world cup bid today...
i really couldn't care less about that. i hate sport, i hate the fact that on the weekends the only 3 free to air channels have sport sport and more fucking sport on them.

but i deal with it, but this has pushed me over the line.
the entire world is in debt to eachother, people are starving on the streets, unemployment rules people. and how much did these fucking retards in the control spend trying to get the world cup hosted here.
45fucking million dollars trying to get them to host a sporting event here.
nevermind that it's taxpayer money, money that should be used to keep kids from coming out of school complete idiots.
nevermind that students (read: me.) get $200 a fortnight to feed themselves pay rent pay for internet and anything else.
nevermind hospitals, police, ANYTHING.
lets spend 45 million fucking dollars on a soccer game that we don't even get.

I've always been a big fan of anarchy. society is a load of bullshit, but this... this... IT'S TOO FUCKING MUCH.
I'm going to start my own fucking revolution to make sure this shit doesnt happen anymore because people are too stupid to realise that "oh hey, we're in debt billions of dollars, maybe we shouldn't spend another 45million on advertising australia so we can get a soccer game held here..."

/rage.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Re: australia is STUPID!

Postby Dutch guy » 03 Dec 2010, 05:44

Yeah, your not the only one dude. The Netherlands and Belgium put forward a bid together, and now everyone is whining we didnt get it (Big fucking suprise, it went to Russia, the land of corruption and big money. The land that promised the FIFA they could expect the big moneyz if they gave them the world cup. Big fucking suprise they gave the 2022 cup to qatar, the land that promised the FIFA they could do whatever the fuck they want with no limits whatsoever)

I do not believe in anarchy but I do believe governments should start THINKING whether they want to spend millions on a corrupt and private organisation like FIFA. (first to try and convince them that they should come to their country and then millions more when they just waive all taxes and have to provide security, police and infrastructure for the event)

Spending money on sports is fine if it is for the direct benefit of giving more people access to said sport. If it is for the direct interest of some wankers who just give their vote to the person who pays them the most then governments deserve to be toppled. Professional sports are bullshit anyway.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 03 Dec 2010, 05:53

I hear you, bro. CAlgary has this unfortunate habit of spending large amounts of money on bullshit. Like, instead of investing $25 million in hospitals to combat the 22 hour ER wait, or money in public transit to ensure there are more trains, running later, more often, and safer, or on completing roads in less than a 5 year span, or investing in SNOW PLOWS to plow the streets that sit for weeks without being touched because it's not in the budget, or invest in education where students can get easier access to funding and parking and books etc - no no... what do we do with 25 million? We make a pedestrian bridge extremely close to TWO OTHER pedestrian bridges because it's "artistic".

Don't get me wrong, my profession has to do with art and creativity.. I LOVE the fact that Calgary is trying to be less conservative and make leaps for art. But seriously... when a 30 minute commute takes 3.5 hours because the roads are *still* not plowed, I'd rather see more manpower and more machines than an ugly bridge. Or when you sit in the ER for 12 hours bleeding from the head but the ER is packed and there are no doctors or nurses to help you.. I'd rather see that invested in the hospital.

GAH. I feel your frustration. I guess on the flipside people will think there is ALWAYS someplace they'd rather see their money go. And while sports and art is a great thing that NEEDS more funding from the government, I'd rather see opportunities for art STUDENTS through our city .. 25 million could fund a lot of projects for a lot of students instead of one Spanish dude. And 45 million could fund a lot of scholorships and camps for kids to play sports.

The bridge I was talking about looks liek a giant chinese ifner trap. Or a tampon.
Last edited by TheRocket on 03 Dec 2010, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 03 Dec 2010, 06:02

England didn't get it either. People are blaming the BBC programme Panorama because it did an expose on corrupt FIFA officials the week before.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 03 Dec 2010, 06:06

And yet they still bet on it..

the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Dec 2010, 06:18

The worst part of this all as far as i'm concerned, is that most aussies couldnt care less about soccer.
i mean, i have a mate who goes to all the games for...some reason, and from what i hear theres never been even 3/4 of the seats filled... i mean, cricket or AFL i might have just accepted as my punishment for being born here (ya know, apart from the snakes spiders locusts mosquito's sharks jellyfish intense heat and freezing cold that come and go in every season whenever they want, no real free speech, stupid news that reports for 40 minutes on a celebrity and 2minutes on that guy who got murdered, bad television, i could go on for ahwile...) but SOCCER? really, are we going to try bidding on other random sports, maybe we should try and host the world cup for american football! thats a good way we could waste another 50mill. how about lawn bowls (bowls, balls, bawls, no idea how its spelt.). what about hockey, lacross.
i need out of this country soon. i swear to god i'm getting dumber by living in it.

TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 03 Dec 2010, 06:22

You shut your filty whore mouth about hockey.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 Dec 2010, 06:37

Sorry the_lone_bard but you live in a sporting mad country. Melbourne I think is the most sporting mad city.

I wonder if the adverse publicity from the allegations of corruption will have any effect on FIFA.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 03 Dec 2010, 07:01

There is a HUGE revenue that you get from hosting the world cup. Had they gotten it you wouldn't have been complaining.
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Dec 2010, 07:28

actually octopipmposter, i would have.
i'm not an expert, and i never intend to be.
but 45million dollars...
i'd say maybe 20at most would have been made back from it.
then you take into account the extra 10-20 that would be spent on advertising, security, of course something would be wrong with the stadium that just needs a 5mill overhall.
is it worth the risk? why not just let it be, they want money, invest it into the education system, in 20 years when some aussie kid cures cancer i'm sure we'd get alot more than 45million from that.
but no.

and yes, i live in a sporting mad country, and it drives me insane when i see "keep sport free" ads DURING satday which is usually something like this.
ABC: Netball. Sbs: Cycling. c31: Something in another language. 7: Racing. 9: Cricket or horse racing. 10: Football (or tennis or more racing.)

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Dec 2010, 07:34

Yeah, you'd definitely make back the initial $45 million from hosting the World Fucking Cup. Whether you'd make back the total amount to host it may be another amount.

About whinging about sports...
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 03 Dec 2010, 07:47

I've always been a big fan of anarchy

lol
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Dec 2010, 07:49

Bananafish wrote:
I've always been a big fan of anarchy

lol

hey i just wanna watch the world burn ;)

also i'm sleep deprived and can't see a thing wrong with my initial post now...
i have a feeling i'm gunna feel like an idiot in the morning though...

Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 03 Dec 2010, 07:50

the world is a nice place and you should get off the internet and participate in it
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 03 Dec 2010, 08:04

Public transport? Infrastructure investment? what are these things? Here in Americaland we do not have these problems perhaps the less fortunate should just be more like America? sarcasm/

In all seriousness how much did the US bid? I don't really give a woot about futbol but I'm curious.
^( " )^
winner!
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 03 Dec 2010, 08:13

public transport does suck a lot in the US and cars are really shitty if you're poor, gl trying to get a job w/o a car if you live in suburbia
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 03 Dec 2010, 08:15

the_lone_bard wrote:and yes, i live in a sporting mad country, and it drives me insane when i see "keep sport free" ads DURING satday which is usually something like this.
ABC: Netball. Sbs: Cycling. c31: Something in another language. 7: Racing. 9: Cricket or horse racing. 10: Football (or tennis or more racing.)

It kinda annoys me that they're so keen to keep sport free, jet continue to do such a piss poor job of broadcasting it. seriously? why is you fucking news hour more important than the fuck ashes channel 9?

Also Australian TV in general has far more adds and is, in general, of ma much lower quality than British TV, which is very disapoint
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 03 Dec 2010, 08:48

Dubious_wolf wrote:Public transport? Infrastructure investment? what are these things? Here in Americaland we do not have these problems perhaps the less fortunate should just be more like America? sarcasm/

In all seriousness how much did the US bid? I don't really give a woot about futbol but I'm curious.

I love ignorant people
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 04 Dec 2010, 05:26

To reply to the original point:

I hate the Australian government, but in this case, in theory, I can't really fault it. They expect to get their revenue back, that's why the bid was what it was, that was their projected maximum they could bid before they expected that they couldn't make it back in profit.

Granted, it's still 12 years of paying it back pretty much making the profits of the cup null and void and probably just go into the treasury's surplus.

So, on second thought yes, fuck this country's retarded spendings. I'm glad we didn't get it.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Maerarde
First Video: An ENN episode, forgot which

Postby Maerarde » 04 Dec 2010, 05:58

You know what the worst thing in Australia is? The game authenicater, the guy who puts ratings on games or allows them in the country is an utter motherbusser, he doesnt know the first thing about games, think all the little boys and girls in australia are rapists/murders to be, bans a ton of game because he thinks children will get games even though they have high ratings on them and thinks there shouldn't be an R18 rating at all because he thinks that if only an adult should be able to play the game it shouldn't be in the country. His name is Michael Atkinson, the douche of gaming.

Despite a line in the National Classification Code stating that "adults should be able to read, hear and see what they want", the adult R18+ classification does not currently exist for video games.

Video game classification in Australia usually get more lenient ratings when compared to other western countries though there are instances of games be awarded a refused classification, as mentioned above this is due to Australia lacking an adults rating for video games.

Postin' this here because well it's a big issue in Australia!
My Little Pony <3

Q: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A: Well a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

www.1227.com = best
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 04 Dec 2010, 06:53

metcarfre wrote:About whinging about sports...

A; I'm Australian.
B; I don't exactly like most sports that plague Australian free TV, hence why I have satellite/pay-tv.. Which also has sports on it.

However, I totally agree with metcarfre here. the_lone_bard, please just get over it. The government is KNOWN for being horrid twats when it comes to budgets and such. I'm also a university student, with rent and bills to pay (around my rampant obsession with video games and supporting the awesome that is LoadingReadyRun in the form of some sexy shirts. That said, I'm not whining and complaining about it (out loud)..

Of course I'm incredibly pissed off with the lack of monetary support university students without work get in Australia. It's pathetic. But I have to suck it up and make an effort to find a decent job. Simple solution.

@Maerarde; One problem with your post though. Michael Atkinson stepped down from the South Australian Attorney General position MONTHS ago. He's long since been replaced, by a guy who actually wants to listen to the R18+ rating issue and act on it.

Yes, the ratings system for games needs fixing/remodeling.. But that's going to take time. The media certainly knows about it now. Seamus Byrne from Kotaku was a guest on Channel 7's Sunrise debating the pros to the R18+ rating. Both hosts thoroughly agreed with him and basically said "Government of Australia, fix the ratings system, then move on to everything else. It's that simple."

It's definitely not a dead topic.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 04 Dec 2010, 07:02

@Hileict: Preeeeetty much my thoughts too in the end.

I mean sure, I sometimes bitch about Australia just 'cause we are pretty retarded at times, but in the end I don't mind living here and yeah, I just adapt to it.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 04 Dec 2010, 08:24

besides the money you would have made from it, definitely getting the 45 mil back, it would also create jobs, at least for a time, which is something worth betting on.
Other problems with FIFA aside, winning the world cup would have benefited a lot more than you think it would have.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 04 Dec 2010, 10:21

eh, i stand by what i said, just not as much of a rant as i did yesterday...
though i still stand by the fact that 45million just to TRY and get it seems a little stupid.
i mean, i'd like to know what they were DOING with that much money. it certainly didn't go into that animation thing. travel expenses, nah. did they buy everyone at fifa including the cleaning staff a new ferrari?

CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 06 Dec 2010, 06:21

I don't care for sports, and It can be kind of annoying to try and watch tv when theres nothing but some dudes running around grabbing balls on... but theres not much sense complaining about it. If lots of people didn't like it it wouldn't be on. I just do other stuff, ends up being better than just sitting there watching stuff.

It does make me kind of sad that so many millions of dollars are spent on sports rather than something that could benefit the world. like SCIENCE!... But meh, That's just the way the world is. And hey, If someone offered me a bunch of money to play a game I'd take it :P

Return to “General Discussion”