Obama signs DADT repeal

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Obama signs DADT repeal

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 22 Dec 2010, 07:52

At bloomin' last

Obama has signed the repeal on Don't Ask Don't Tell, allowing service men and women of different sexual orientations to serve openly. Good on you, Barack-star.

Not ideal, there are still going to be some issues and hold ups, but I think this is definately a confident step in the right direction.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Re: Obama signs DADT repeal

Postby GreigKM » 22 Dec 2010, 07:58

Good, now time to prepare for the MOUNTAINS of controversy from the far right... sigh... America...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
SamFisher202
First Video: Quantum Documentary from Aug 20th of 04

Postby SamFisher202 » 22 Dec 2010, 08:00

This is a very good day indeed, but I'm sure that I will see some crazy response from the WBC in the news shortly.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 22 Dec 2010, 08:28

Well, Republicans tried adding a last second amendment to another defense bill to prevent the DADT repeal... So there's that.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

goat

Postby goat » 22 Dec 2010, 08:42

It's signed, but it still has to be implemented.

I'd call this a good start.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 22 Dec 2010, 09:04

Yes we can?

-m

I am not angry at you.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 22 Dec 2010, 09:08

I don't see why everyone hates Doug Alister's Doughnut Tethers. I use them to not lose my donut in my coffee.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 22 Dec 2010, 09:19

King Kool wrote:I don't see why everyone hates Doug Alister's Doughnut Tethers. I use them to not lose my donut in my coffee.

Because the treat of having soggy donut bits at the end of the coffee is all a lot of poor Americans have to look forward to.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 22 Dec 2010, 10:06

A soldier is on the front lines, he can't resist but constantly glance behind him at jerry "when we were in the showers did he grab my dick as an ironic joke or is he really gay?" he thinks, seconds later a bullet passes through his head.

In a mere 3 months the Gay-Islamofacist Covert Taliban declare victory over the United States.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 22 Dec 2010, 10:12

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 22 Dec 2010, 10:37

Good on ya america, about time that big elephant of discrimination got pushed out of the room and fall down the stairs
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 22 Dec 2010, 12:39

Y'know, it's amazing. I think the US Senate has been more productive during the lame duck session than they have in the regular session. Incredible what you can achieve when you stop being worried about how everything affects your re-election chances; you even manage to get stuff done that would improve your re-election chances.

Yes, I'm a bit cynical.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 22 Dec 2010, 13:30

no they've been really unproductive.

the democrats let the republicans filibuster a bill that would give health care to first responders from 9/11. They're not publicizing this at all, in 2 years the republicans will say that the democrats can't pass bills that don't have pork in them, the republicans will then pass the same bill to mass acclaim and no one will remember that they blocked it.

this is your future
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 22 Dec 2010, 13:51

JackSlack wrote:Y'know, it's amazing. I think the US Senate has been more productive during the lame duck session than they have in the regular session. Incredible what you can achieve when you stop being worried about how everything affects your re-election chances; you even manage to get stuff done that would improve your re-election chances.

Yes, I'm a bit cynical.

Just a bit; that's a good thing in world we live in today.

Yay for the Executive and Legislative branches doing good for a change!

Bananafish wrote:{talkin' shit}

You're just being pissy because Mimm started a thread on this before you could. :P
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 22 Dec 2010, 13:55

Hyaaaaaaaaaaa.....

*disappears in puff of smoke*
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

goat

Postby goat » 22 Dec 2010, 13:57

Bananafish wrote:no they've been really unproductive.

the democrats let the republicans filibuster a bill that would give health care to first responders from 9/11. They're not publicizing this at all, in 2 years the republicans will say that the democrats can't pass bills that don't have pork in them, the republicans will then pass the same bill to mass acclaim and no one will remember that they blocked it.

this is your future

*cough*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/2 ... 00326.html
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
teambates
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby teambates » 22 Dec 2010, 14:23

GreigKM wrote:Good, now time to prepare for the MOUNTAINS of controversy from the far right... sigh... America...

If it makes you feel better, they're not all very smart. Watch Barney Frank just destroy a motherfucker who tries to gotcha him with questions about gay and straight soldiers showering together.
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 22 Dec 2010, 14:29

teambates wrote:
GreigKM wrote:Good, now time to prepare for the MOUNTAINS of controversy from the far right... sigh... America...

If it makes you feel better, they're not all very smart. Watch Barney Frank just destroy a motherfucker who tries to gotcha him with questions about gay and straight soldiers showering together.

This guy is awesome! Why do our politicians all suck?

Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 22 Dec 2010, 14:35

goat wrote:
*cough*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/2 ... 00326.html

that's great, 40 million people to go.

e; also doesn't change the fact that the dems are spineless

But just before leaving town for Christmas, senators reached a deal to ensure Republican support for the bill. It will now go for a vote by unanimous consent. The House remained in Washington to act on the bill.

genuinely curious how many tax cuts were exchanged for these votes
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Dec 2010, 14:47

The Democrats have a lot of problems, not all of them self-inflicted. Demographics hurt them.

Genuinely, the Democrats have a much trickier line to toe than the Republicans simply because their base is smaller. 40% of Americans identify as Republican. 30% identify as Independent, and 30% as Democrat. (I'm remembering those figures, trying to find the source but failing.) This means that the Republicans only need to pick up 1/3 of the Independents to win government, but the Democrats need to win twice that many. Unsurprisingly, Democrats thus are less concerned with shoring up their base and more concerned with swinging to the middle.

In addition, the Democrat base itself is, well, really darn fractured. OK Trends does a great job on this one. So the Republicans not only have more freedom to appease the base, but doing it is flatly easier.

The end result is that the Dems do appear fractured, weak and helpless too much of the time. They have too many masters.

That said? It's far from their biggest problem. Overall, you're right. The Dems lack spine, and the "Blue Dogs" can go to hell. Eradicating the traitorous Blue Dogs and making a stiffer, more confrontational Democrat party would be a wonderful thing.

But I'm not holding out hope of it.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 22 Dec 2010, 15:06

their biggest problem is that they're republicans
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 22 Dec 2010, 15:07

Far better to be a Constitutional Monarchy, I agree.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 22 Dec 2010, 16:14

...ladies and gentlemen, the Queen.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Alahmnat
First Video: The Future of Sex

Postby Alahmnat » 22 Dec 2010, 17:19

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:
teambates wrote:

This guy is awesome! Why do our politicians all suck?

Trust me, Barney Frank is a diamond in the rough around these parts, too. Now, if we had an entire congress full of Barney Franks and Anthony Weiners, we might actually get somewhere. And Neilsen might actually post ratings for C-SPAN ;).

If this congress – and the lame duck session in particular – has proven anything though, it's that you should never count on Republicans to do the right thing. From DADT to the 9/11 first responders health care bill to the START treaty, these guys have been epic level douche cocoons.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Dec 2010, 17:35

There's rumblings of filibuster reform. If that happens, I'll be amazed, but it's a great time to try. The Dems do hold the senate, but the GOP are about to hold the House, so they're not too worried about losing the filibuster as a nuclear option in the short term. The Dems are sick to death of it being abused, so they're on board. (Every returning Dem has signed a letter asking for reform.) In short, it's pretty much the perfect time to give it a stab.

My preferred reform? No changes to the rules on when you can launch a filibuster, nor how much support you need to do it, but change the rules about attendance so that to do one, the filibustering politician has to actually get up and SPEAK for that whole damn time if he wants it to happen, while the other party can listen or leave if they please. No more 'motion to filibuster' logic.

Return to “General Discussion”