Soooooo UBC?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Soooooo UBC?

Postby Highlander » 11 Jan 2011, 09:35

My time for choosing university I looked around in England and I have some choices but I also looked at UBC and I quite like the look of it particularly the History course at the Okanagan campus.

Any advice or help?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: Soooooo UBC?

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jan 2011, 09:45

How much money do you have?

The Okanagan is nice in the summer but bitterly cold in the winter, when you'll be in school.

Good skiing, though.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Jan 2011, 10:52

If you're looking at the UBC website, and seeing all the pictures of Vancouver, please not the Okanagan Campus is also nowhere near Vancouver.
Here's a map.

Still!
It's a good place.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Jan 2011, 10:54

well, it's a good place, as long as you don't mind temperatures fluxuating between 40 degrees in the summer and -30 degrees in the winter.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 11 Jan 2011, 11:19

I like a little variation in my weather I know Okanagan is a long way a way but the history course there is way more interesting. SAD FACE!
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 11 Jan 2011, 11:21

go to a history course in a town where there is much history. York, Bath, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge etc.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 11 Jan 2011, 11:50

I have looked in all these places I'm still just taking a cursory glance I the look of York in particular, this is just an option I wanted to explore.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 11 Jan 2011, 12:40

UBC Okanagan is actually an upgrade of the Okanagan College, then Thompson Rivers University, then bought by UBC.
What does this mean? It's a university college that's been upgraded to University Status, so it's got the stigma of a second class school attached to it.

Does this matter? It depends what you want to do - the technical programs are very good at some Colleges turned Universities (Vancouver Island University has really good technical programs, to name an example I can think of), but if you want a traditional degree, I think your money would be better spent at a 1st tier university in BC. That means UBC (Vancouver), SFU, UVIC or UNBC. All these schools were incorporated as Universities and have a bit more cachet. UNBC though, while a good school, is small and new, so doesn't have the same level of reputation yet. Best money is on UBC (proper), SFU or UVIC if you're looking to come all the way to BC to study.

Note: I went to UNBC and I think the quality of education was actually better than at SFU (where I went for a year) because the classes were smaller and you could work with professors even as an undergrad. I got great mentoring. That said, if you're looking to do a history degree, you'd be better off doing it at another school. I know UNBC's specialties, and history isn't one of them.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
teambates
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby teambates » 11 Jan 2011, 12:42

I'm an Okanagan student. It's nice, as it's small enough that you can have real access to profs and the cost of living is okay. Also, it's beautiful here. The downsides are that it's not as well-resourced as the Vancouver campus and there is near constant construction on something or other.

I'd be willing to answer any questions you have about it. =D
teambates
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby teambates » 11 Jan 2011, 12:42

double herp derp
Last edited by teambates on 12 Jan 2011, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 11 Jan 2011, 12:50

You'll have a blast wherever you go, picking the right course is the most important choice to make. If the courses are essentially the same then the choice can be made based on location and other stuff.
House MD
First Video: Cronologically in LRR's timeline or mine
Location: Chester, it's like where I used to live, but more northern.

Postby House MD » 11 Jan 2011, 13:44

Come to norwich, it's a damn nice city, pretty historical and one of the 'apparantly' better history courses
I am the physical manifestation of the Phailhaus. SO much so, my friends call me it.
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 11 Jan 2011, 13:59

I'm really looking for a medieval Europe/ anglo saxon/ viking/ military history based course
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 12 Jan 2011, 07:13

Kathleen wrote:UBC Okanagan is actually an upgrade of the Okanagan College, then Thompson Rivers University, then bought by UBC.
What does this mean? It's a university college that's been upgraded to University Status, so it's got the stigma of a second class school attached to it.

Does this matter? It depends what you want to do - the technical programs are very good at some Colleges turned Universities (Vancouver Island University has really good technical programs, to name an example I can think of), but if you want a traditional degree, I think your money would be better spent at a 1st tier university in BC. That means UBC (Vancouver), SFU, UVIC or UNBC. All these schools were incorporated as Universities and have a bit more cachet. UNBC though, while a good school, is small and new, so doesn't have the same level of reputation yet. Best money is on UBC (proper), SFU or UVIC if you're looking to come all the way to BC to study.

Note: I went to UNBC and I think the quality of education was actually better than at SFU (where I went for a year) because the classes were smaller and you could work with professors even as an undergrad. I got great mentoring. That said, if you're looking to do a history degree, you'd be better off doing it at another school. I know UNBC's specialties, and history isn't one of them.

UBC Okanagan is in Kelowna; Thompson Rivers University is Kamloops and previously was Cariboo College before being University College of the Cariboo.

I am being a bit of an academic snob but I dislike the name university being tacked on to all these collages. I think it is misleading to use the same name for institutions such as UBC Vancouver, UVic (I went there for my BSc) and SFU which offer professional degrees and have large research programs and the glorified collages.

Two some what contradictory things to keep in mind. The quality of the department you are in has a lot of effect on your experience.* However, most people, at least in Canada, end up switching majors at some point.

A good person ask about this sort of thing would be Brad. I would guess that for medieval British history somewhere in Britain would be better that somewhere in British Columbia.

* Especially true if you have any interest in graduate study.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 12 Jan 2011, 07:16

Yes I am coming to this conclusion. UBC was the first thing that came up when I typed medieval Europe history. I am still tempted to do a gap year in Canada though
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 12 Jan 2011, 14:09

House MD wrote:Come to norwich, it's a damn nice city, pretty historical and one of the 'apparantly' better history courses

UEA is a concrete nightmare with the most confusing floor numbering scheme in the world.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 12 Jan 2011, 14:27

Highlander wrote:Yes I am coming to this conclusion. UBC was the first thing that came up when I typed medieval Europe history. I am still tempted to do a gap year in Canada though

You should probably note that it is very difficult to just go somewhere for a year. A lot of countries ( I think Canada included) have a 6month max stay, unless you have a visa. Which can take months or years or never to get.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 12 Jan 2011, 23:14

Hey its my time to start applying to universities too. From what ive seen of UBC I think its a good school, I dont know about moving to another country for it but I have no idea how to live alown.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 13 Jan 2011, 00:36

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You should probably note that it is very difficult to just go somewhere for a year. A lot of countries ( I think Canada included) have a 6month max stay, unless you have a visa. Which can take months or years or never to get.

Yes I know I think Imma try get a company to sponsor me, it'll make it much easier to get a year on a visa. My dad's pretty high up in appatito the meals on wheels service and I think they do have a company over there...
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Jan 2011, 07:33

I think you can get a working holiday visa for a year. How do you think they get all those Australians to work in Whisler?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 14 Jan 2011, 08:16

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:
Highlander wrote:Yes I am coming to this conclusion. UBC was the first thing that came up when I typed medieval Europe history. I am still tempted to do a gap year in Canada though

You should probably note that it is very difficult to just go somewhere for a year. A lot of countries ( I think Canada included) have a 6month max stay, unless you have a visa. Which can take months or years or never to get.

Isn't it easier if your moving between countries in the Commonwealth?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 14 Jan 2011, 11:39

Are you talking UK to Canada? Absolutley not.

Working Visas are AMAZING to get in Canada during the ski/snowboard season like Lord C said. Except from what I hear you are confined to the mountain, do crap work and live in crap quarters with crap compensation. You gt a beautiful veiw every day, but be sure a very cold winter vacation is what you want ;)

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 14 Jan 2011, 12:31

I ski like a drunken hippo
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 14 Jan 2011, 12:38

Better than me. I loathe skiing, and snowboarding I am just a potatoe at. Last two times I went snowboarding I got hit in the head with the chairlift, then I couldn't stay on the Tbar so I caused a huge line of angry people so I ended up just returning my board and pouting in the lodge. Haha.

My whole family skis or boards, I bring my camera and take photos of the mountains :P

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 14 Jan 2011, 13:02

:D Photographing is awesome

I want to do the Clarion west writers workshop. that's in Seattle so not too far a way. that lasts about 6 weeks so I need to find something work like for the other 4 and a half months. I can then off sod home for the rest of the year to do some more work.

EDIT: Oh shit Clarion West is in Seattle. So can you travel to Canada from the states

Return to “General Discussion”