So... Sucker Punch...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: So... Sucker Punch...

Postby Matt » 03 Apr 2011, 16:31

korri wrote:Were we supposed to know that the burlesque thing was part of her imagination the whole time?

Did you miss the first 10 minutes or whatever?

The mental hospital is pretty clearly left behind in favour of the imagined reality at about the 10 minute mark.

-m

I am not angry at you.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 03 Apr 2011, 16:40

Not as great as I thought it would be. I was actually TIRED during the fight scenes, almost falling asleep. The burlesque part is what kept me awake. I like hows its inception-esque "imagination inside imagination" but the ending bummed me out but was to be expected and predictable
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Dark_Watcher
First Video: The Job

Postby Dark_Watcher » 03 Apr 2011, 17:09

Having seen Sucker Punch the day it came out, I can say that I was fairly dissapointed. It wasn't all bad though, as I thought the opening was very outstanding and the action scenes were well done action scenes. I think the issue for me was that while a good story could be formed around the insane action, this is one of those types of movies where if the story isn't done properly it is just going to flat out suck, which was the case here. Had they just gone with very little story at all it probably would've been better, but in a weak attempt to attach a story it all just comes across as pretentious, a meaning that didn't have to be there. I wouldn't have given it the 22 that is the average on Rotten Tomatoes, but I probably would give it a 6 out of 10. I'm not angry at it, just disapointed

Also, something that is confusing me (Spoilers) why does everyone say the imagination is confusing? I have to admit I was taken aback the first minute when it transitioned from the mental hospital to the burlesque show, but it seemed obvious to me anyways that when it showed Sweat Pea on the chair during the transition that it was Sweat Pea's imagination, the burlesque was what she thought the mental hospital was when she was there, with the "danceing" imagination what she felt the situation was like (pulse pounding and intense) and how the "dances" made her feel. The way I saw it the end with both the boy from the war and the mentor, combined with the "you don't really know who's story it is being told", resolved it all together as Sweat Pea recounting the events of the past few days the way she saw it, mixing elements of her present situation in with the story (because she is actually insane or possibly lobitimized), with Babydoll's story being a side-story to Sweat Pea. I get that the movie throws the audience through a loop, but it wasn't that confusing, just needlessly "complex" in the way Inception was complex, in that it wasn't that complex.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 03 Apr 2011, 18:09

Matt wrote:
korri wrote:Were we supposed to know that the burlesque thing was part of her imagination the whole time?

The mental hospital is pretty clearly left behind in favour of the imagined reality at about the 10 minute mark.

-m

I realized it was different, but I had no clue that we were supposed to realize that it was her imagination, or what was even really going on. I was like, "why are then in a brothel all of a sudden?". I know that audiences don't need to have everything explained to them, but I thought this part was a bit confusing.

Now that I've thought about it a bit, I would like to see it again, because there are definitely things I completely missed (obviously...). Also because the part about the movie not being about Babydoll would be more interesting to see, already knowing whats coming.

And on a completely unrelated note, what time period was this movie supposed to be taking place in? I mean it seemed like the 50's because there were lobotomies being performed, but didn't the security guard at one point have ear buds in? I'm pretty sure they're a recent invention...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 03 Apr 2011, 18:11

korri wrote:
Matt wrote:

-m

I realized it was different, but I had no clue that we were supposed to realize that it was her imagination, or what was even really going on. I was like, "why are then in a brothel all of a sudden?". I know that audiences don't need to have everything explained to them, but I thought this part was a bit confusing.

Well then, I guess you've just been
*puts on sunglasses*
Sucker punched!
YEAAAAAAAAAAH
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 03 Apr 2011, 18:16

*sighs* Ninja, go sit in the corner...
ImageImageImageImage
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Apr 2011, 18:19

korri wrote:And on a completely unrelated note, what time period was this movie supposed to be taking place in? I mean it seemed like the 50's because there were lobotomies being performed, but didn't the security guard at one point have ear buds in? I'm pretty sure they're a recent invention...

Intentional anachronism. It was a 1960-ized modern-day.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 03 Apr 2011, 20:11

I'm not seeing the controversy here. I thought Sly Cooper was pretty great. Oh god, jokes!

gcninja wrote:Not as great as I thought it would be. I was actually TIRED during the fight scenes, almost falling asleep.

From what I've heard (mostly from Mike Stosklasa) is that the fight scenes don't really have any stakes, so they're boring.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Apr 2011, 08:25

Gordon Fearman wrote:I'm not seeing the controversy here. I thought Sly Cooper was pretty great. Oh god, jokes!

gcninja wrote:Not as great as I thought it would be. I was actually TIRED during the fight scenes, almost falling asleep.

From what I've heard (mostly from Mike Stosklasa) is that the fight scenes don't really have any stakes, so they're boring.

I didn't really buy that argument. It gets established pretty quickly that what happens in the fight sequences paralells what's happening while babydoll is dancing - there are stakes, they're just not 1:1 with how the fights unfold.

I was never bored by them at all, though.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 04 Apr 2011, 09:13

I figured it was like this;

1) The burlesque is a group delusion. They're so afraid of the asylum, they've retreated into the delusion.

2) Baby Doll's "dancing" isn't actually dancing, it's when in the real non-burlesque asylum that she's freaking out and attacking people.

What confused me, and I think it's been said before is;

What happened to Amber and Blondie? Blue killed them in the delusion. What happened in reality? Were they put in solitary?.

Also, about the ending;

It's set up pretty much as soon as the delusion starts that Baby Doll isn't the main character. It's Sweet Pea who is playing the part of the lobotomised girl on the stage, and it's Sweet Pea who is calling out the ludicrousness of the delusion.

Also, the doctor-lady says that Baby Doll was difficult to approach and she couldn't connect with her in the 5 days she was at the asylum, which is different to how she acts as the Madame, being very invovled in Baby Doll's "career" as a dancer.

What we're seeing is Sweet Pea's story through Baby Doll's imagination.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 04 Apr 2011, 11:45

I really need to see this movie...
Incidentally I had a Facebook acquaintance that constantly gators on this movie.
They have since been relegated to the ignored section of my Facebook.
^( " )^
winner!
cathou
First Video: the first one on the escapist

Postby cathou » 04 Apr 2011, 12:18

Drinnik wrote:I figured it was like this;

1) The burlesque is a group delusion. They're so afraid of the asylum, they've retreated into the delusion.

2) Baby Doll's "dancing" isn't actually dancing, it's when in the real non-burlesque asylum that she's freaking out and attacking people.

What happened to Amber and Blondie? Blue killed them in the delusion. What happened in reality? Were they put in solitary?.

i think that happenned :
It pretty clear the blue dont have much power in reality, so i probably didnt kill them. they were probably taken away into isolation and baby doll didnt saw them again, for her they would be dead in her world.

I really enjoyed that movie. i think i enjoy it more by thinking that the wole movie is a 3 second flashback. The burlesque delusion is just the last week flashing in baby doll mind from the time the doc put the probe over her eye, until he knock it in (like you life is suppose to flash before your eyes when you die). That mean that none of what we see have to happen real time in reality. When she first live that week, she lived it in reality, but what we see is just a flashback modified in her mind.

In that way, the burlesque world is not a group delusion. it's in baby doll's mind only. The dances session probably represent the therapy sessions, and the fights is the way for baby doll to find a meaning for what she have done.

that also explain why her look at end surprise everyone, it's because at the last second she imagined a world where he sacrifice would mean something and accept her fate
Souris la vie est un fromage
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Apr 2011, 12:27

cathou wrote:
Drinnik wrote:I figured it was like this;

i think that happenned :
It pretty clear the blue dont have much power in reality, so i probably didnt kill them. they were probably taken away into isolation and baby doll didnt saw them again, for her they would be dead in her world.

I really enjoyed that movie. i think i enjoy it more by thinking that the wole movie is a 3 second flashback. The burlesque delusion is just the last week flashing in baby doll mind from the time the doc put the probe over her eye, until he knock it in (like you life is suppose to flash before your eyes when you die). That mean that none of what we see have to happen real time in reality. When she first live that week, she lived it in reality, but what we see is just a flashback modified in her mind.

In that way, the burlesque world is not a group delusion. it's in baby doll's mind only. The dances session probably represent the therapy sessions, and the fights is the way for baby doll to find a meaning for what she have done.

that also explain why her look at end surprise everyone, it's because at the last second she imagined a world where he sacrifice would mean something and accept her fate

This is essentially exactly what I read the film to be.

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “General Discussion”