Current Musical Obsession!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Current Musical Obsession!

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Jun 2015, 06:39

Stupid sad love song that sounds awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGcshygpotw
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Jul 2015, 12:11

For an average game SiN Episodes: Emergence has a good openeing theme: What's the World Come To?

"Don´t kill me, Blade! I have wife & kids! Kill them!"
"Here's a health pack, BLADE! Don't want you to die, BLADE!"
"Put me out of my misery, Blade!"
"Take care of my family, Blade!"
"No, kill me first BLADE!"
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 04 Jul 2015, 05:42

Slid under the door with time to spare before Sly and the Family Drone; impressive given the early start and location. Fun snaps all through their set. Drums in the crowd (as usual) and Matt Cargill stood on an amp down to his skivvies (as usual).

Kind of passed Flamingods by Raw Power last year (they were in a lull after a phenomenal run). Much into them at Supersonic last month for both sets and again here. Last number went full Sun Ra with guest sax pawn hearts. Added extra v Arkestra dance.

Never saw the Grateful Dead, before my time and that. Not fussed having seen Acid Mothers Temple a fistful times over the years. Tonight the turn of the Cosmic Inferno after last couple tyre rotations with the Melting Paraiso UFO. New backline Pika from Afrirampo (doubling up on vox, fluorescent wig, bubble gun und flying plates) and Futoshi Okano currently of Hijokaidan stepping in for the great Koji Shimura alongside the usual suspects Mara Tabata on earthmover, Hiroshi Higashi on space synth and Kawabata on Hendrix blast waves. Humble narrator danced a trance, not helped by gratuitous Pink Lady Lemonade disco beat.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 04 Jul 2015, 06:44

Gap Filler wrote:Slid under the door with time to spare before Sly and the Family Drone; impressive given the early start and location. Fun snaps all through their set. Drums in the crowd (as usual) and Matt Cargill stood on an amp down to his skivvies (as usual).

Kind of passed Flamingods by Raw Power last year (they were in a lull after a phenomenal run). Much into them at Supersonic last month for both sets and again here. Last number went full Sun Ra with guest sax pawn hearts. Added extra v Arkestra dance.

Never saw the Grateful Dead, before my time and that. Not fussed having seen Acid Mothers Temple a fistful times over the years. Tonight the turn of the Cosmic Inferno after last couple tyre rotations with the Melting Paraiso UFO. New backline Pika from Afrirampo (doubling up on vox, fluorescent wig, bubble gun und flying plates) and Futoshi Okano currently of Hijokaidan stepping in for the great Koji Shimura alongside the usual suspects Mara Tabata on earthmover, Hiroshi Higashi on space synth and Kawabata on Hendrix blast waves. Humble narrator danced a trance, not helped by gratuitous Pink Lady Lemonade disco beat.

I'd forgotten how much I'd missed live Japanese esoterica - there is nothing quite like it. Acid Mothers blowing my mind, Boris rocking my socks off, Melt Banana's hyperactive punk, Keiji Haino's unreal soundscapes (in a gorgeous gothic church), Otomo Yoshihide doing... that thing that he does. It's been too long, come back to my city guys...
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Jul 2015, 15:24

New GHOST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ao4t_fe0I
They already sell a papa Emeritus dildo on their store, so how do they screw with more religious people while playing up their satanist cheese to 11? Dress kids up as them and have them re-enact a version of Carie in a catholic school. Because they're GHOST, that's why.

And, right as I'm ready to go to bed, oh what's this? A new, new GHOST song? That one's downloading now, so in 57 minutes I get to listen to that! a month and 2 days until album-fall.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 18 Jul 2015, 16:37

Sea shantiesm from Assassin's Creed Black Flag.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 20 Jul 2015, 05:04

New Tame Impala yay!

Also have been on a Beck, Jungle and Alt-J kick as of late. I highly suggest the film clip for Jungle's "The Heat". They make synchronized dance look so effortless.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 26 Jul 2015, 08:31

So this week I found out that OSI exist.

Turns out they're pretty good, if you're interested in what Industrial Prog would sound like.
Still have to investigate their discography further, but Blood and Fire Make Thunder are both solid albums.
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jul 2015, 14:30

Not exactly current but finally got my thoughts on Supersonic Festival last month down courtesy of of a spot of 4am psychosis the other day. So (and with no guarantees of legibility) Friday:

Will Gregory Moog Ensemble a bit polite, much as I enjoyed Third Brandenburg, Escape from New York and Tim Henman's English country dancing.

Friday first clash Free School's synth space rock felt second fiddle to Ravioli Me Away. Effort required for that level of bad taste deserved more than the five ten minutes I ended up sparing.

Some bands you get immediately. Some music you like (and know you like) immediately. The Pop Group centre of the special inverse of that Venn; still returning to Y and Mass Murder after all these years. No closer to getting or liking it per se but something keeps dragging back, just at the edge of perception comprehension. Live no help that regard. Harsh calling them Marxist Jamiroquai but unfair? Whiff of 'still here' when you're hoping for 'still got it' there.

No such problem with Happy Meals. Stayed the whole set for their post 4AD Belearic brand.

Ela Orleans sounded positively cinematic. Fitting for self described movies for ears.

Apostille jumped the barricades.

Gazelle Twin were intense. You wouldn't think a petite girl in a wig hoodie mask could pack so much in but man Liz Bernholz has got presence.

From the ashes of Dethscalator, with Mugstar and Part Chimp among hecatonchire's many arms, Sex Swing were ugly. That beautiful brand of ugly exactly what you want at assclown end of Friday night.
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jul 2015, 14:34

Saturday:

Tomaga and Selvhenter dedicated their sets to the newly late Ornette Coleman. The man himself would've been proud. Especially Selvhenter, even a drummer down (just had a baby).

Didn't give Eternal Tapestry a real look in last time. Still, everyone deserves a second chance, eh? What did they sound like? They sounded like the Grateful Dead. Push pull only really got going final ten minutes but you probably needed the preceding hour to really fall in line.

In fact, head to head the standard issue guitar bass drums rock band setup came short throughout the weekend. Memory Band and Efterklang (okay, okay, Liima) twee past point of acceptability. Actually enjoyed Six Organs of Admittance's Hexadic system action, certainly more than previous occasion with Ben Chasny in solo acoustic singer songwriter mode, just not enough to give it more than fifteen minutes. Likewise, Liturgy mostly backgrounded, I get why Ben Frost bagged Greg Fox for Aurora but that's about it; shame as they were the only closest to metal on the bill of a typically pegged as metal festival.

All pale comparison to Holly Herndon. You always watch a laptop set (particularly solo laptop sets) with a sneaking suspicion they're secretly messing around on Facebook. Now I can tell you that's exactly what they're up to, or at least that's what Herndon did; hitting up Supersonic page and rifling through people's personals for photos and stuff, all projected onstage for the audience to see. So caught up in the high concept social media surveillance state performance art side I couldn't tell the music beyond being decent IDM built around Herndon's voice. This and Gazelle Twin, set of the weekend.

As mentioned vis AMT, kind of passed Flamingods by Raw Power last year. Got such a kick out of their morning kids' gig stayed for whole witching hour set, not least since knew The Bug only clashed on paper.

Speaking of, The Bug's Dylan Carlson one on one better in theory then practice. Much as wanted the good vodka of Kev Martin's bass beats and Earth drone metal the meat was not rotten but not engaging enough to hold sole interest, hence flitting back and forth with Slow Magic's late nineties post EDM drum circle which was if not any good at least entertaining. Until Carlson wrapped up and the big Flowdan took centre next to The Bug. Fat MAC heavyweight jumbo I'm just trying to function.
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jul 2015, 14:37

Sunday:

Angharad Davies destroyed a violin.

Richard Dawson told of Joe the Quiltmaker while holding his guit|/npju[0"We tried getting a cat recently and it's just been an awful experience. Really depressing. The first cat we brought home from the shelter and she ended up dying in a bonfire. It was horrible.

The second cat we got from the pet shop swimming in a tank. Yer man had told us to let her settle in the bathtub which we did but every time I went to pick her up she kept giving me an electric shock. In the end we just had to let her go in the canal. I can still remember watching her as she swam away.

The third cat was even worse. We thought we'll just leave her outside and she'll come through the flap whenever she's ready but when she did she immediately started flying around the house. I spent several hours trying to bring her down while she circled the ceiling fan in the living room but she just ended up crumbling to dust in my hand.

The fourth and final cat was the worst of all. She had a cable coming out of the back of her neck with a three pin plug on the other end and just slept no matter what we did to wake her up. We tried feeding her: catfood, various cheeses and the like but the only thing she would eat were DVD's. We gave her one and she just gobbled it right up and then we spent two and a half hours hallucinating a black and white Martin Scorsese film featuring probably Robert de Niro's greatest performance."ofyg
2tp;necdote about his mic stand being a shepherd's crook.

Silver tears on flaxen faces although that might've just been Rhodri Davies cacking all the strings on his harp.

And finally capping the weekend, two troubadours telling tales. Jiří Wehle did not wreck his harp or hurdy gurdy. Didn't need to either with his Tolkien trolls, castles looming out of Bohemian forests and shadows of Poe's Eldorado.

Afework Negussie's masenqo meanwhile grokked griots of Ethiopian street disco dances and sang songs of devotion lust.
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jul 2015, 14:39

Bonus content:

Friday Bees in a Tin highlights punching custard, breaking the law (unprosecutably) by impersonating a plain clothes police officer and the street symphony of A Folded Path meant Kickstarter money well spent before festival proper kicked off.

Saturday night morning walking between Slow Magic and The Bug getting instagram hair twinned with Holly Herndon.

Sunday Minerva Delights highlights Sarah Angliss' little teacup robots, probing the invisible city of Manzoni's Brum and having the political foisted in non political art in eighties Poland.

Final weekend highlight passing Derby on the way back Monday; surrounded by muddy boots and camping gear train home thinking I could've gone to Download but I chose another story. Weighing up a weekend of Slipknot, Muse and Kiss vs the weekend I got of Gazelle Twin, Holly Herndon and Richard Dawson curating Sunday. Dodged a bullet there I feel.
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Postby Kirkygirl » 04 Aug 2015, 20:52

I've been really heavily into Moving Pictures by RUSH even before I went to their show in Vancouver on July 17th. Man what a show. But the one that's been sticking in my head as of late is Vital Signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh5RSv52g6U
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
RedHelveticaCake
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 06 Aug 2015, 14:14

I can't get enough of Postmodern Jukebox. They've made a lot of covers of songs I normally can't stand listening to into things I want to listen to nonstop. AND they post a new music video every week!
Postmodern Jukebox
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Mr.Tie
First Video: Mancooking (meat onion)(I think)

Postby Mr.Tie » 08 Aug 2015, 17:22

Well I never really listened to them back then, but I'm really enjoying Red Hot Chili Peppers lately, the 'best-of album' but some good songs in there. Wet sand is pretty nice.

That and Ninja Sex Party... probably because the latest album just got released.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Aug 2015, 09:32

Currently learning to play the "chorus" to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vULsGEm4x4s

Found the sheet music online and transcribed it into the range I can play on the violin.

Note-wise it's simple. It's very folky. Just it's the speed that makes it hard.
Bunnyrabbot02
First Video: Sigma Theta Delta

Postby Bunnyrabbot02 » 27 Aug 2015, 03:18

Wystling!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Aug 2015, 09:11

BabyMetal - Roat of Resistance

Dragonforce wrote the guitar riffs for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY
optimusjamie
First Video: Papers, Please

Postby optimusjamie » 20 Sep 2015, 08:39

Listening to the new Iron Maiden album. It's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Eq928LCPXD
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Sep 2015, 05:23

Not too fond of the new Album. I do like 'If Eternity Should Fail' (especially the guitar chorus. The others have good guitar chorus too but the lyrics ruin it. I'll probably go back to the album at a later date and may enjoy them, usually happens with some artists I listen to.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Sep 2015, 08:29

Strangely Flamboyant - Two excellent artists join forces to become one awesome cabaret act. Daft, fun cabaret music
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Turambar
First Video: Not sure. Early Escapist content.

Postby Turambar » 13 Oct 2015, 18:40

The Staves (I think I'm in love):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvNXBtaZLQ

Nathaniel Rateliff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pfEsH ... GiqdG6VY-5

Matthew Good's latest album "Chaotic Neutral":
http://www.matthewgood.org/chaotic-neutral/
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Oct 2015, 10:00

Went back to listen to old episodes of a wrestling podcast I enjoy: Don Tony and Kevin Castle Show.

They used to use E-Town Concrete - Doormats
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 14 Oct 2015, 14:15

Ever since I was a kid I've liked listening to emotional music. My mom hated it, she thought the "sad" songs made my depressed mood worse, but listening to music that confirms and expresses my emotions has always been essential even as my preference in genres changed over the years.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, my current obsession reflects my emotions rather well; James LaBrie - Undertow
Twinklefeet
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby Twinklefeet » 15 Oct 2015, 12:09

I have found myself tapping out this song at my desk quite a bit recently. Haken - Visions

Return to “General Discussion”