Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bananafish

Re: Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Postby Bananafish » 24 Apr 2011, 11:31

Bananafish

Re: Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Postby Bananafish » 24 Apr 2011, 11:37

Wolfenbarg wrote:
The pools thing (which you seemed to have a blast running with) was mostly hyperbole. In an experiment back when they had the money to do so, some Kansas City schools were thrown a ridiculous sum of money, and rather than using it to improve educational standards, they used it as a way to improve infrastructure to give an incentive for people to go to their schools. One such way was building an Olympic size swimming pool. It was a huge leap in logic, and served as an example of how much our school systems waste money.

i'm sorry i know what you're getting at. Schools will sometimes buy massive football or sports stadiums that will never ever pay for themselves and it's literally nothing but a Massive Waste of Time and Money, it's not the norm but it's really shitty.

Anyway, I seemed to have missed one major aspect that you picked up on. My examples only relate to areas that have respectable property values, and thus are well funded. I can't speak on solutions for poor areas or areas where schools are more likely to fail, I have no experience or knowledge in those fields. All I know is that every school I ever went to wasted so much money on crap attracting people to schools instead of hiring the best batch of teachers they could, and paying the best existing ones more.

the problem imo is that the schools that can afford to buy something like a half million dollar computer lab most likely dont need it, the schools that could use that money probably dont even have enough for desks but they can't afford it because they live in poor/minority neighborhoods.

(some detroit classrooms are managing with about 60 students...in a single class and the district is astoundingly short on teachers (teaching is shit)))

Return to “General Discussion”