Tee-Shirts?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

What do you look for most in a t-shirt?

Cool design (like the Starburst Shirt)
38%
Witty Catchphrase (like the Science Shirt)
23%
LRR in-joke (like the Creepy Doll Shirt)
23%
Generally appealing shirt with nerdy humour (Trojan Horse)
15%

Total votes: 39
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Tee-Shirts?

Postby Kathleen » 14 Apr 2011, 11:47

So this morning I found out Facebook allowed you to ask questions. You know what else lets you ask questions? Our forum!

Anyhow, what makes a great shirt? This is a question we ask ourselves when we design shirts. We spend a lot of time debating how to design our shirts to make sure they are appealing. We don't make a ton of money off shirts, but they enable us to do things like pay the rent on the moonbase, so they're important to us.

However, the people that we should be trying to please is you guys! So, vote, let us know what you like in a shirt, and why you buy specific shirts!

Thanks!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Tee-Shirts?

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Apr 2011, 11:58

All of the above, and I'm not saying that to be funny or silly. They're always comfortable and I have fun with the Muffin shirt where bby I lift up my jumper to show the shirt when someone complains over somethign trivial.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Apr 2011, 12:08

I'm kind of out of my 'clever text on a t-shirt' phase, so a nice design works better for me. Also I hate "geek culture" so geeky phrases will never fly with me anyways.

And as you guys well know with the Thromborax and Wii Play shirts, LRR in-jokes don't sell well.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 14 Apr 2011, 12:09

I'd categorise both the Science and Muffin shirts as both 'witty' and 'in-joke'; that is, the LRR reference is subtle enough that anyone can appreciate the shirt anyway, but wearing it still feels like reppin' LRR.

The only preorder shirt I haven't liked enough to buy was the Trojan Horse, and depending on the specifics, a 'cool design' could be even better than the others. I'd really like to vote for all of the first three. . . shouldn't this have been a multi-option poll?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 14 Apr 2011, 12:15

Probably most something that's nerdy humor, but really I enjoy T-shirts that fall into all of those categories.

I'd say the science shirt intersects both LRR in-joke and Nerdy humor as well, and thus I purchased it.

Although if this is a poll for the sorts of shirts you should offer up in the future, anything designed by Tensen01
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 14 Apr 2011, 12:37

After I purchased the Science shirt, I came to realize that I don't like text-centric shirts. There can be text on there, but it shouldn't be the focus. Because of this, you would probably think I'd pick cool design, but I'd rather have an in-joke for the sake of having an in-joke, so long as it's not text-centric (like the Slacking shirt).
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 14 Apr 2011, 12:43

I want a shirt covered with racial slurs.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Apr 2011, 12:45

King Kool opening the racist door again.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 14 Apr 2011, 12:46

I realize all of our shirts sort of cross over categories (like 'is someone doing science in here' is both witty and a LRR joke) but it was more my attempt to try and pin down what's the most important thing you look for in a shirt.

I would say something like the muffin shirt is only the barest hint of a LRR joke - James's character in cH has said it maybe 5 times, where as something like the Creepy Doll shirt is just straight up LRR goodness.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 14 Apr 2011, 12:58

Witty Catchphrase / LRR in-joke crossovers would probably be my preference. I like "cool" and "nerdy" t-shirt designs as well though (although LRR Starburst doesn't really do anything for me). I'll basically buy anything I think looks good or makes me laugh =)
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 14 Apr 2011, 12:59

In-jokes are great as long as they don't look out of place when you don't understand the reference. The Wii-Play shirt fails in this regard in my opinion.

The Desert-Bus crest and Starburst shirts on the other hand work brilliantly because they look obscure enough to be regular shirts to anyone who glances over them, but if the person ask you about them you can explain just how awesome Desert Bus and\or LRR are. (Or if you don't like the person you can say "It just looks cool").
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 14 Apr 2011, 13:21

Typically I am quicker to jump on a shirt that's just a cool design rather than any specific joke. (I have a ton of Miss Monster shirts for this very reason...) But at the same time I probably wear my Runners shirt the most frequently, so I guess I like my tees to be sufficiently LRRy with minimal text.

I have significant regrets about passing on the Science shirt, though.
brb, assaulting children.
AmzRigh
First Video: Reduce Your Footprint

Postby AmzRigh » 14 Apr 2011, 13:57

My favorite of your shirts is probably the Creepy Doll shirt, not because it's a LRR in-joke, but because it's simple and innocuous enough that it doesn't have to mean anything -- it's just a kind of creepy face on a shirt. If someone wants to know more, they can ask, but they don't need to know anything about it to get anything out of it.

In other words, shirts that don't have to be explained to be enjoyed, but potentially enjoyed more by people who "get it."

Another good example: I'm currently wearing my Three Panel Soul "This Guy Is Totally Not A Spy" shirt -- nobody has to get that it's a TF2 reference to enjoy the joke. But people who are familiar with TF2? They know exactly what the shirt's talking about.
Caveant Mundi game studio
Throne of Games & Thursday Throne, streaming live Thursdays & Saturdays at 9pm ET

Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 14 Apr 2011, 14:42

I prefer a logo or image to a more text-based design. Even something with as much text as the latest 'No pants' T-shirt didn't really click.
I want a t-shirt that can be appreciated without having to spend a few seconds reading the text and then asking what it means and then getting alienated because one doesn't know that much abotu Canadian internet-based comedy groups. If it's just the logo or funny image, people will think it's a cool logo or image and not ask too much about it.

Edit:
Also, the creepy doll shirt is pretty much perfect. It's super mega awesome for anyone who does get it, and a cool t-shirt design for anyone who doesn't
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
Niko
First Video: The Job

Postby Niko » 14 Apr 2011, 15:05

Voted for "cool design", but ideally would have voted for "LRR in-joke" too.
Cool designs of LRR jokes, e.g. the Desert Bus Crest shirt was awesome, and had a lot of stuff specific to DBFH.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 14 Apr 2011, 15:06

King Kool wrote:I want a shirt covered with racial slurs.

Or, a LRR joke, both are nice.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 14 Apr 2011, 15:12

Personally I'd prefer a shirt with an interesting looking design on it, like the Starburst shirt, both Desert Bus shirts, the basic logo shirt and so on. Having a shirt based around an in-joke is fine, don't get me wrong, but that joke can't carry it if that makes any sense. There has to be a solid design to back the joke up for it to work.

My $.02.
ImageImageImageImage
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 14 Apr 2011, 15:22

I said Nerdy humour. I do like the LRR specific t-shirts, though, but I like geek/nerdy humour more.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 14 Apr 2011, 15:53

Like a few people have said, an in-joke that still looks good if you don't get the reference is great, like the Creepy Doll shirt. Several of my friends like that one (but then they're strange people), and my mom wishes she was brave enough to wear it.

I really go more by how much I like the joke and the appearance of the shirt, which is of course no real help for you. But in general I think all 4 of those options appeal to me.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 14 Apr 2011, 19:05

It depends! I don't think there's much rhyme or reason. Generally, I guess it's a clever witty thing, but then, I liked the Creepy Doll, didn't much care for Never Forget or No Rules No Pants, and desperately want a West Westerchesterbmingham shirt.

I don't think there's a unifying thread. Each design runs on its own merits. I answered witty, but in hindsight, I wish I'd answered "Cool design". In the end, that's the thing that matters most.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 14 Apr 2011, 19:59

Elomin Sha wrote:King Kool opening the racist door again.

I didn't know King Kool also worked with Frankie Boyle and Ching Chong Chinaman...
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 14 Apr 2011, 20:32

I think a nice design and something clever is the most important for me. In-jokes don't work when nobody else gets the joke. I agree with the ideas that too much text is a bad thing. It should be something to get right away. Simple is better. If it connects back to something LRR it's nicer, but not such an in-joke that you have to explain your shirt to everyone.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
House MD
First Video: Cronologically in LRR's timeline or mine
Location: Chester, it's like where I used to live, but more northern.

Postby House MD » 15 Apr 2011, 00:19

I would any, if I liek a shirt I buy the damn thing.

I have like all the shirts so far. But some slightly less than other. But it doesn't stop me buying them.
I am the physical manifestation of the Phailhaus. SO much so, my friends call me it.
Zipa
First Video: 3 ps3s

Postby Zipa » 15 Apr 2011, 01:23

All of the options are good for different reasons, the in jokes are especially good though because most people don't have a clue what the shirt you are wearing is about.
goat

Postby goat » 15 Apr 2011, 04:30

metcarfre wrote:I'm kind of out of my 'clever text on a t-shirt' phase, so a nice design works better for me. Also I hate "geek culture" so geeky phrases will never fly with me anyways.

And as you guys well know with the Thromborax and Wii Play shirts, LRR in-jokes don't sell well.

Ollie, don'tcha know! wrote:I prefer a logo or image to a more text-based design. Even something with as much text as the latest 'No pants' T-shirt didn't really click.
I want a t-shirt that can be appreciated without having to spend a few seconds reading the text and then asking what it means and then getting alienated because one doesn't know that much abotu Canadian internet-based comedy groups. If it's just the logo or funny image, people will think it's a cool logo or image and not ask too much about it.

Edit:
Also, the creepy doll shirt is pretty much perfect. It's super mega awesome for anyone who does get it, and a cool t-shirt design for anyone who doesn't

+1 x2
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1

Return to “General Discussion”