the "nerd rage" thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: the "nerd rage" thread

Postby Evil Jim » 16 Apr 2011, 23:02

Apple vs non-Apple is nerdy, hence my post here instead of the other thread.

Sa'right?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 17 Apr 2011, 04:24

some one actualy just said to me that they are glad firefly was canned,

I WILL FIND WHERE YOU LIVE AND EAT YOUR SKIN!!!!!
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
SPACExJUMPxJOSH

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 17 Apr 2011, 04:26

yeah this is baically the venting thread for anything nerdy, just get it off your chest:D
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 17 Apr 2011, 04:36

Alja-Markir wrote:Electrical signals travel between computers at the speed of light, minus the time it takes to interpret and route the information.
~Alja~

NO THEY MOVE AT THE SPEED OF ELECTRONS, AND EVEN SO, IT DEPENDS ON THE MEDIUM (wires, etc) THEY ARE MOVING THROUGH!
Sunspot
First Video: unskippables then Quantum Documentary

Postby Sunspot » 17 Apr 2011, 05:35

GODDAM IT LUCAS JUST STOP!!!

Seriously man put the Star Wars down and WALK AWAY!
Sunspot
First Video: unskippables then Quantum Documentary

Postby Sunspot » 17 Apr 2011, 05:37

Michael Bay and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????
*sobs*
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 17 Apr 2011, 06:16

Gunshot wounds don't work that way! You get hit in the shoulder you could loose the use of the arm! Even if none of the major blood vessels and nerve clusters aren't hit, you still need months of rehabilitation to use it again properly, not a night at best.

Defibrillator's don't work that way! They are used to try and re-instate a regular beat in an irregularly beating heart. If someone's heart has stopped then no amount of electricity will start it again! You need adrenaline or cocaine or something.

I admit I'm no expert on time travel, but either all points in time are malleable or none are. "Fixed" points where events can't change - or at least play out significantly differently - is just a goddamn lazy piece of storytelling.

I can't think of anything else right now, but no doubt something will crop up and irk me sooner or later... :P
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 17 Apr 2011, 08:40

I really don't know how to feel about the Star Wars prequels. On the one hand, Lucas obviously doesn't care for his original fans, and is a bit of a dick towards them.

On the other hand, I have no right to get angry about them. My generation grew up on and loved the Star Wars prequels before the internet told us not to. Yeah, they're not nearly as good as the others, but people my age don't really have much of a reason to hate them, seeing as they were probably they're first exposure to Star Wars, so they don't have that excuse of Lucas hates my childhood'. To us, they should just be mediocre films.
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Apr 2011, 09:28

Wouldn't you have to be 13 or something to have "grown up" on the prequels? I wasn't exactly around when any of the original trilogy came out, but I very much grew up with it. Once I got past the initial spectacle of the prequels, it did not take me long to start poking holes in it, which became easier with each passing movie, well before I spent enough time on the internet to be told that they sucked.

The original trilogy was hardly the high point of film, but they were still well done films that did a good job of telling the story, however unoriginal it may have being overall. The newer films are nonsensical and rely on flashy special effects to cover up the alleged "plot" and explaining things that no one ever wanted explained.

If you ignore them, like I try to, then they don't ruin your childhood. But they're still highly annoying in that when they are forced to your attention, they take away what makes the childhood memories of the original trilogy special. It's like when you're told that Santa Claus/the Tooth Fairy/the Easter Bunny isn't real, or you realize that your parents spent the majority of your childhood hiding the fact that they were on the verge of being bankrupt from you, or were only staying together until you went off to university, and promptly get a divorce. Yes, your memories and the original trilogy are still there, but the new movies/facts still tarnish what you once held so highly when you're forced to think about them.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 17 Apr 2011, 09:31

I'll tell you EXACTLY how to feel about the Star Wars Prequels.
Feel nothing but hate, hate and anger, and suffering.
They sucked
Yeah
I said it.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Kag

Postby Kag » 17 Apr 2011, 09:41

empath wrote:...and it's also WHY I wanted Bioware to go back and finish what their outsourcers (outsourcees?) couldn't do. :(

Which is why Lucasarts should have let Obsidian finish the game instead of making them release it half a year early. Played with the restoration patch, KotoR 2 is way better than the original.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 Apr 2011, 09:48

sdhonda wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:Electrical signals travel between computers at the speed of light, minus the time it takes to interpret and route the information.
~Alja~

NO THEY MOVE AT THE SPEED OF ELECTRONS, AND EVEN SO, IT DEPENDS ON THE MEDIUM (wires, etc) THEY ARE MOVING THROUGH!

They don't move at the speed of electrons. Electrons move really slowly. They move at the speed of a wave of electrons which, I believe, is really zarking close to the speed of light. Also, fiberoptics do move at the speed of light because of the whole 'optics' part.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Kag

Postby Kag » 17 Apr 2011, 09:55

Signal propagation speed can vary from around 60-95% of light speed, depending on the type of cable used.

SCIENCE.
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 17 Apr 2011, 13:04

Fox is rebooting the Planet of the Apes franchise.

Why do they have to mess around with everything I love? The original series wasn't perfect, but it's those imperfections that made it great. The 2001 remake was bad enough but now they're changing everything.

I'm still gonna go see it. They got Andy Serkis.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 17 Apr 2011, 13:57

Echi wrote:I'm still gonna go see it.

NERD RAEG! BLARG!

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

~ALJA~
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 17 Apr 2011, 14:00

It may be true that there is a much larger percentage of our brains that we don't "actively" use, but that doesn't mean it can be "harnessed" for psychic or extra-scientific purposes; those parts are still in use, but for things like processing the information our senses bring in, regulating body temperature, keeping out balance, making our digestive, circulatory and nervous systems work properly, tracking where our limbs are and what they're doing. SO STOP FUCKING SAYING THAT WE HAVEN'T HARNESSED 90% OF OUR BRAIN'S POTENTIAL. WE'RE USING 100% OF IT ALL THE TIME.

In crime thriller shows, STOP HAVING THE PERSON WHO FINDS THE FIRST BODY SCREAM. God dammit, we know they're dead without it, you've already almost shown the act and the background music queues have us trained like Pavlov's dogs to recognize when something's happened.
Maybe I'm desensitised to death or something, but come on. Hysterical screams when the person looks like they could be asleep? I know some murders are more gruesome than others, but really. Come on. Can we not get any variation in reaction? Muttered "Oh no.."s, silent slumps to the knees, SOME KIND OF OTHER REACTION TO STRESS AND SHOCK THAN SCREAMING, PLEASE.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 17 Apr 2011, 14:12

i like the star wars prequels...... as movies I think they are entertaining and apart from the 3rd one quite awsome, but if you were to compare them to the origonals and say they were anyway near as good as them, i would sharpen my harpoon and tell you to start running :P
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 17 Apr 2011, 14:16

I actually like all of them, including the 3rd one.

Nerd rage? My mother said, earlier today, that she thought the Cowboy Bebop intro sounded like it was from the old Batman and Robin series ...
Hurp-De-Durp!
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 17 Apr 2011, 14:19

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!
Yes, that's my nerd rage.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
SPACExJUMPxJOSH

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 17 Apr 2011, 14:41

i am sick of pokemon, there now i just wait for the scene kids to break down my door and be like omg i iz liek bein all naww to dat ll of pkmn h8, also RAGGGGEEEEEE AT LOL SPEAK, IT IS FOR CATS DOING FUNNY THINGS IN PICTURES ONLY!
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 Apr 2011, 15:32

The Jester wrote:On brains...
The humans only use 10% of their brains comes from when a series of neurologists figured out that humans can survive with certain parts of their brains cut out.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 17 Apr 2011, 16:39

Fair enough. Thing is, though, that even when that happens all it means is the thing that would have gone through that part of the brain - the stuff that it would have analysed or sorted out or stored - just gets dealt with by another part instead. :?
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Apr 2011, 16:45

The brain does not work like that.

At all.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 17 Apr 2011, 16:46

How does it work? I'm genuinely curious.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Apr 2011, 17:04

Nobody knows.

But nicking just a little bit could leave you irreparably damaged such that you never get to use that function again. Memories can be deleted by brain damage.

Memories can never be made again by brain damage.

Sight could vanish.

The ability to understand the concept of left is in there, and with a bit of brain damage, gone.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.

Return to “General Discussion”