the "nerd rage" thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: the "nerd rage" thread

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Apr 2011, 17:14

Damage to the frontal lobes of your brain are survivable (as in the famous case of Phineas Gage), but they will result in potentially massive changes to personality. While the brain can re-wire itself to some extent (see: neuroplasticity), damage is still damage, and for the most part beyond the capability of modern medical science to do much about (though they are certainly working on it, and there have being significant advancements over the past few years).

As to the original nerd rage of the oft-sited "only use 10% of our brain" claim, yes, that is total bunk, and it did (I believe) originate from research into how much of the brain is necessary for continued bodily functions.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 17 Apr 2011, 17:45

I've always thought of the term as a metaphor for people not living up to their potential. I've never understodd why people get so worked up about it (this is not the first time I've seen this discussion).

It's like the term "possesion is 9/10s of the law". Technicly not true and somewhat nonsensical, like the other phrase, but that's not the point.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 17 Apr 2011, 17:50

Want something to get worked up about?

"Having your cake and eating it too."

"I could care less."

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGHHAjnlajl;sdfaldfkgkljsdzskgskzjdfnhjnzadjklgsk.zdj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 17 Apr 2011, 17:54

sdhonda wrote:Want something to get worked up about?

"Having your cake and eating it too."

"I could care less."

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGHHAjnlajl;sdfaldfkgkljsdzskgskzjdfnhjnzadjklgsk.zdj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A whole nother"

"Irregardless"

"For all intensive purposes"

"All of the sudden"

RAGE.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Apr 2011, 17:56

"For all intents and purposes"*

Make sense now?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 18 Apr 2011, 03:41

I assume he knows it's supposed to be that, he's just infuriated by people who use "intensive purposes" ignorantly.

Myself, I hate the use of "wallah" to mean "voilà" and other butcherings of very very simple French and other languages that people apparently can't be bothered to think about.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 18 Apr 2011, 05:34

I have honestly never heard these things.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 18 Apr 2011, 07:35

Does this mean you say "I could care less" and "irregardless"?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Apr 2011, 08:56

"exact same"

REDUNDANT

Also, apologies to Deedles, but "I would of [done something]"
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 18 Apr 2011, 09:11

No, I mean, "intensive purposes." and "wallah" instead of "voila."

Also I say irregardless on purpose, "couldn't care less" is, in fact, how I say it.

And how is "Exact same" redundant?

In math,at least, "the same" and "strictly the same" are not, strictly, the same.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 18 Apr 2011, 10:46

If you're getting pissed off about redundancies, then how do added bonus, closed fist, spoiled rotten, revert back, prior history, sum total, end result, true fact, bare naked, unique individual, total abstinence, join together, advance warning, lag behind, close proximity, and exact replica treat you?

I have more if those don't upset you, but if "exact same" makes you rage these don't, really, what's the point?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Apr 2011, 10:48

Also;

Pedantry.

Homerism.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 19 Apr 2011, 02:06

SOME ONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG !!!! I WILL NOT SLEEP TILL I BEAT THIS TROLL AHHHHHHH
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 19 Apr 2011, 02:36

More then. HATE that. I scream like William Shatner going "THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 19 Apr 2011, 04:59

I know that you're trolling, but I still want to correct you...
Keelah Se'lai
Sunspot
First Video: unskippables then Quantum Documentary

Postby Sunspot » 21 Apr 2011, 22:27

I must admit while I do object to the prequels it was the Clone Wars cartoons that resulted in true rage. just why?
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 22 Apr 2011, 00:25

Red Orchestra is worst fucking FPS I've ever played!

You move like molasses, can't see worth shit, can't find other players, can't find your way around, can aim worth shit. SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!

Realistic my ass, I can run more than 100 feet without getting completely winded, and I don't know about the character you're playing as but I know from experience I can hold a rifle steady if I'm standing. I don't sway like I just downed a 40 of jack and broke it over my head.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 22 Apr 2011, 04:07

why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

fire fly shouldn't have ended :'(
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 22 Apr 2011, 05:47

My greatest nerd rage was focused on the release of 4E D&D. It blinded me. made me incoherent. Frothing, wordless, uncontrolled rage. Thank the gods that we have Pathfinder.

Spiked chains are a close second.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 22 Apr 2011, 06:43

I love WoW ... but WoW gets old and boring so easily, yet I love it. The nostalgia, the memories, the lore, the music, the world ... everything. Whyyyyy can't I just wake up one day and want to play WoW with the same enthusiasm that I once did? Whyyyy does it have to be pay-to-play so that I have to worry about not feeling like I'm playing enough to make it worth the cost?

Just ... Why? I'm going to go cry now, in this corner, right over here, and use this tissue to wipe my eyes and blow my nose ... Yeah ... Bai now.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 22 Apr 2011, 15:49

JOSHxUSEDxSPACExJUMP wrote:why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

fire fly shouldn't have ended :'(

The only true question...
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Apr 2011, 00:59

(A note: All swearing in the following post have been replaced by overly polite compliments and excessively mild expressions of consternation. Adjust accordingly.)

My, but those delightful folk who are prattling on about the Portal 2 DLC. Gracious, they're being remarkably good sports. That the material available is minor in tone, of utmost insignificance to gameplay, and really just a treat to buy for oneself or give to others, does not seem to have penetrated their unquestionably calcium-rich skulls, and they can all go and get goshed.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 23 Apr 2011, 01:57

This night would go so much better if my computer games would want to work. I get to a certain point in The Next Big Thing and it decides to crash. At least the crashing is consistent and always does it after a cutscene unlike the Picross app I have that crashes randomly as I play. I was doing so good with one of the puzzles as well!
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2011, 04:35

JackSlack wrote:(A note: All swearing in the following post have been replaced by overly polite compliments and excessively mild expressions of consternation. Adjust accordingly.)

My, but those delightful folk who are prattling on about the Portal 2 DLC. Gracious, they're being remarkably good sports. That the material available is minor in tone, of utmost insignificance to gameplay, and really just a treat to buy for oneself or give to others, does not seem to have penetrated their unquestionably calcium-rich skulls, and they can all go and get goshed.

...Are you just talking about Robot Enrichment?

Seriously, what are people SAYING about that?
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 23 Apr 2011, 05:38

OH MY GAWD VALVE HAS BETRAYED US!

Stuff like that.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:

Return to “General Discussion”