Any Bronies up in here?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Best Pony

Twilight Sparkle
17%
Rarity
5%
Applejack
5%
Pinkie Pie
13%
Rainbow Dash
18%
Fluttershy
23%
Derpy Hooves
7%
Dr. Whooves/My Little Timelord
7%
Zecora
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 149
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Re: Any Bronies up in here?

Postby kodra » 06 Jun 2011, 11:00

I might have somewhat rose tinted glasses, but as far as I recall Powerpuff Girls, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Dexter's Laboratory didn't really have that going on (listed because these are three cartoons that seem to be aimed at the right age / demographic that I enjoy watching as an adult)
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 06 Jun 2011, 11:05

Well for the actual kids that watch it, they might need it said to help drive the point home for some of them.

edit: Also those shows sometimes didn't have a moral to them. They were just villain or problem of the day. While MLP:FiM clearly is going out of its way to have a moral in every episode.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 06 Jun 2011, 11:51

Digital Dolphin wrote:Anyone else here planning on cosplaying a pony at PAX Prime? I've got a decent group going so far.

I'll be going as Doctor Whoof, and we also have a Rainbow Dash, Apple Jack, Fluttershy, and a DJ PON3! :D

This makes me wish I was going to PAX Prime now. For Otakon one of my friends has me in her group as Derpy Hooves. I know for that we're going to Applejack and Rainbow Dash. I'm sure we'll have the other mane ponies, I just know I'm the only 'background character that the internet loves' one.
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 06 Jun 2011, 12:03

Trinhinn wrote:Well for the actual kids that watch it, they might need it said to help drive the point home for some of them.

edit: Also those shows sometimes didn't have a moral to them. They were just villain or problem of the day. While MLP:FiM clearly is going out of its way to have a moral in every episode.

That's a fair assessment, and it could be it was the only way the show could get greenlit, but I still feel like the show could be stronger if it didn't have to have a moral of the episode.

All of the characters have very well defined personalities and the character interaction is great. The show doesn't need the constant moralizing.

To my point: I don't think the moralizing appeals to the kids who watch the show, or the grown-ups who watch the show. It seems solely there for the parents who want to make sure all the television their child watches is "good wholesome fun".

I understand the issue is complicated, but my opinion is that the quality of show from an enjoyment standpoint only would be improved if that requirement was lifted.
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 06 Jun 2011, 12:53

I actually find the morals at the end to be frequently entertaining. I watch some of these episodes and think, "So the moral of this episode is that if you ever encounter a monster that can turn you to stone with its very gaze, the proper course of action is to stare it right in the face and yell at it." But then they pull out of a nosedive with something about loyalty and courage or something. It's impressive, really.
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 07 Jun 2011, 14:39

thatlaurachick wrote:
Wolfenbarg wrote:You can get Twilight and Spike if you get the 5 pack from Toys R' Us. You also get Pinkie Pie, Apple Jack, and a horribly miscolored Celestia. Still no Gummy though, I don't think a toy of him exists yet.

Yeah, the "horribly miscolured Celestia" is why I havent bought that one. And I'm cheap. :P

I know collectibles aren't Hasbro's thing but this could make some serious money for them. I never collect stuff and I want these? Yeah.

Or maybe I'm just obsessed...

Toy deals take a while to go through. I also think Hasbro is taking a very cautious approach, because if this ends up truly being a meme, then it will die out and most of their merchandising deals will be total busts. That said, I'm not sure why they haven't at least started selling thinks that are quick and cheap to produce to test market like t-shirts, stickers, and that sort of thing. It would show how much of a market exists for such a thing, not to mention that t-shirts would become roaming advertisements themselves.

As for the moralizing, I also find it a bit limiting. I don't really hate it, as sometimes it works quite well. However, I do find that some of the morals are incredibly weak because the writers were just trying to write a good story, then stumbled near the end trying to attach a moral. I think the episode with the Gollum dogs was a pretty good example of that.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 07 Jun 2011, 15:00

I do find it amusing as to just how much this show has gained my love :P like unconditional parent to child love. the sort of love a stab victim has for A and E or the way I love crumpets unstopable ZOMG PONIES love, my signature somes it up XD
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 09 Jun 2011, 11:39

So I started off doing that daily challenge thing...got to about day 5ish and started messing around with my own idea of some of the characters as respective jobs from FFXI. Aside from me not really knowing how to work my scanner properly yet and the fact that my drawing book doesn't fold well here are some of the things I messed around with.

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/cpersons7701/My%20stuff/
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 15 Jun 2011, 06:19

dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

ebMusicMan
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby ebMusicMan » 15 Jun 2011, 06:57

I'm a bit late to the party, but (obviously) I'm part of Fluttershy's posse. She's just got that calm assurance that she knows what the eff she is doing when it comes to her comfort zone, but take her out of that and she just clams up. I very much can identify with that.
PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 15 Jun 2011, 07:00

Drinnik wrote:Has this been linked?

Friendship is composed of dark matter?
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Garfman
First Video: Failure

Postby Garfman » 15 Jun 2011, 13:41

He assumes that Applejack and Rainbow Dash are the same weight. This isn't a safe assumption, as flying creatures have to be much lighter than a similarly sized non-flying animal. Perhaps pegasi have hollow bones.
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 15 Jun 2011, 13:44

He did also suggest that Applejack may be made from Dark Matter.

Which is just as feasible.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 15 Jun 2011, 13:52

Garfman wrote:

He assumes that Applejack and Rainbow Dash are the same weight. This isn't a safe assumption, as flying creatures have to be much lighter than a similarly sized non-flying animal. Perhaps pegasi have hollow bones.

Actually, Pegasi can have their entire weight supported by a cloud, and other ponies will fall right through a cloud, so one could conclude pegasi are lighter then earth ponies because clouds support pegasi but not earth ponies or unicorns.
@mhasko
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 15 Jun 2011, 14:38

Let's also not forget that ponies are magical.
Keelah Se'lai
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 15 Jun 2011, 14:40

And, more importantly, fictional.

Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 Jun 2011, 15:41

Do you think land ponies ever face discrimination from the unicorns or the pegasi? I think it would be hard to be part of the one-third of the population that can neither fly nor use magic.
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 15 Jun 2011, 15:44

Apartheid in Equestria?

goat

Postby goat » 15 Jun 2011, 15:51

Yaxley wrote:Do you think land ponies ever face discrimination from the unicorns or the pegasi? I think it would be hard to be part of the one-third of the population that can neither fly nor use magic.

Ponies? no

Buffalo? evidently
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 Jun 2011, 15:53

You never know. Princess Celestia seems nice enough, but she's the only pony I've seen who is both a unicorn and a pegasus. Who do the land ponies have to represent their interests?
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 15 Jun 2011, 15:54

Yaxley wrote:You never know. Princess Celestia seems nice enough, but she's the only pony I've seen who is both a unicorn and a pegasus. Who do the land ponies have to represent their interests?

Wasn't the evil pony both as well?

I swear I don't watch this show.

Garfman
First Video: Failure

Postby Garfman » 15 Jun 2011, 16:08

I believe the official stance is the earth ponies are more connected to the land, as seen in Winter Wrap-up. They do all the growing. I think they may also have more pure physical strength

So, I joined this forum because my wife spends a lot of time on the My Little Pony forums, and I end up discussing ponies.
nitro27
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby nitro27 » 15 Jun 2011, 23:11

Yessir, and Lyra will, always has been, and always will be the best pony.
Alahmnat
First Video: The Future of Sex

Postby Alahmnat » 16 Jun 2011, 08:39

Yaxley wrote:You never know. Princess Celestia seems nice enough, but she's the only pony I've seen who is both a unicorn and a pegasus. Who do the land ponies have to represent their interests?

I think the official stance on the princesses is that Luna and Celestia are the embodiment of all three types of ponies. Given that the earth ponies don't have any real distinguishing visible characteristics ("strength" is a bit hard to get across when almost everyone's based on the same model), I believe the princesses' height is intended to be their embodiment of earth pony-ness.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 16 Jun 2011, 13:50

According to Faust, the earth ponies have a sort of intrinsic connection to the earth, which results in them being exceptionally good with plants and animals instinctively. Fluttershy is a bit of an anomaly as a Pegasus with this sort of instinctive affinity for animals.

Return to “General Discussion”