Any Bronies up in here?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Best Pony

Twilight Sparkle
17%
Rarity
5%
Applejack
5%
Pinkie Pie
13%
Rainbow Dash
18%
Fluttershy
23%
Derpy Hooves
7%
Dr. Whooves/My Little Timelord
7%
Zecora
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 149
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Re: Any Bronies up in here?

Postby Fenrir » 23 May 2012, 22:34

madAlric wrote:
Digital Dolphin wrote:This is a VERY interesting study on brony-dom:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/94234033/Survey-of-the-Brony-Subculture

So does this mean that people who prefer Rainbow Dash as best pony are more likely to prefer, or at least enjoy, sexual intercourse with a member of the same sex?

The other way around. People who self-identify as gay or bisexual (but not pansexual) are more likely to consider Rainbow Dash to be their favorite pony than the average of all respondents polled.

In other words, being gay/bi is an indicator of liking Rainbow Dash.
Liking Rainbow Dash is not an indicator of being gay/bi.

At least, according to this data.

According to that logic I apparently ought to consider Rainbow Dash my favorite then.....but I don't. I consider Rarity my favorite. Sooo .... score one to me?
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 May 2012, 22:38

Fenrir wrote:According to that logic I apparently ought to consider Rainbow Dash my favorite then.....but I don't. I consider Rarity my favorite. Sooo .... score one to me?

"ought to" and "are statistically more likely to" are two entirely different things.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 23 May 2012, 23:29

Matt wrote:
Fenrir wrote:According to that logic I apparently ought to consider Rainbow Dash my favorite then.....but I don't. I consider Rarity my favorite. Sooo .... score one to me?

"ought to" and "are statistically more likely to" are two entirely different things.

0m

Eh, true.
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 May 2012, 04:05

Geoff_B wrote:...it's just that in the CMC episodes of season 1 it's made obvious what the talents of the other two are, but every time it looks like they're about to realise it Scootaloo comes in and goes "Nope, we're doing something else".

I'd hardly say it's made obvious what Sweetie Belle's and Apple Bloom's talents are, as you've got two people for whom it clearly wasn't obvious asking you what you meant. Yes, we're shown the general sorts of things the gals are good at - but those are very broad categories, not exact talents.

Anyway, while I'm not gonna go back and rewatch that episode (since it is cringe-worthy in ways), I will cite the MLP:FIM wiki and the episode synopsis they have up.

Inside the clubhouse, the Crusaders come up with a plan for the show: a spectacular musical number. Apple Bloom suggests Sweetie Belle as the singer, but Sweetie Belle is afraid to sing in front of a crowd and says she would rather be like her sister, Rarity, and design the scenery. Despite Scootaloo's agility, she decides to sing instead of doing the choreography. That leaves it to Apple Bloom, but the closest thing she knows is kung fu. They all fail miserably while practicing, but gladly help each other out.

So Sweetie Belle sabotages herself, Scootaloo sabotages herself, and Apple Bloom just kinda fills in the remaining job. In no way can it be said that Scootaloo "comes in and goes 'Nope, we're doing something else'", as you suggest.

~Alja~
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 04:14

I think it's obvious what the CMC's skills are - Apple Bloom's is DIY, Sweetie Belle's is music and Scootaloo's is stunts. The episode goes out of its way to show that.

What about the episode where they ask the mane six how they got theirs? Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle are listening intently while Scootaloo just says "Boring! These are just about finding out about yourself what you're good at!" or words to that effect. After the second time it just gets old. The CMC story could have been wrapped up in 2 episodes, 3 max.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 04:17

Geoff, just a quick question, you do actually like the show right?

Just checking, not really getting that vibe.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 04:18

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you're not allowed to criticise it of you like it, everything has some flaws after all, just not feeling the love.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 04:19

Oh yes I do. Just not the CMC characters so much. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle and even Scootaloo are fine on their own, its just when they get together that it starts to grate on me. Everything else is great.

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 04:32

Just checking.

To be fair the CMC episodes are generally my least favourite, with the exception of Gabby Gums - Shakespeare refferemces in Pony? Fuck. Yes.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 04:39

Dunno why but my favourites generally tend to involve some sort of humiliation conga for one of the characters - "Applebuck Season", "Dragonshy" and "Feeling Pinkie Keen" for example.

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 04:41

Not Party of One? I'd rate that I've Feeling Pinky Ken as a Pinkie episode and it ticks the humiliation conga box.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 04:44

Yeah but Feeling Pinkie Keen is a humiliation conga for Twilight. Party of One is more disturbing than anything else

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 04:48

But the best Twilight humilitation conga into disturbed freakiness goes to Lesson Zero - on second thoughts never mind... I have no idea why I'm trying so hard to analyse your taste in episodes.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 24 May 2012, 04:56

I think I'd have liked Lesson Zero more if it didn't end with Deus Ex Caelum. I'm sure Twilight's friends could have snapped her out of her crazy without a god falling out of the sky.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 May 2012, 04:57

Geoff_B wrote:I think it's obvious what the CMC's skills are - Apple Bloom's is DIY, Sweetie Belle's is music and Scootaloo's is stunts. The episode goes out of its way to show that.

My point is that these are broad categories, and that Cutie Marks aren't just the most obvious of things.

Rainbow Dash is a speedy flyer, right? But her mark isn't a pair of wings, or a diving falcon, or whatever. It's a cloud with a rainbow lightning bolt. Wait... what? Okay, the rainbow makes sense, because her special skill is the Sonic Rainboom, which ties into her speedy flying because it is created by flying really, really fast... but why a cloud and lightning? Well it also happens that lightning is conceptually associated with speed, AND she works as a weather management pony, which again ties into her speedy flying, because her aerial agility makes her really good at working the clouds.

So yeah, Apple Bloom is good at working with her hooves, and Sweetie Belle can sing, and Scootaloo is agile. But those are only general categories.

Apple Bloom's cutie mark could be anything from a hammer and nails, to a construction hat, to a can of paint and a brush, to a T-square and level, to a block of stone and a chisel, to a wrench and gloves, to a garden and trowel, to a crane or bulldozer, to a bandsaw and shaving horse, to a half-erected building, to a lightbulb and wires, et cetera, et cetera.

Sweetie Belle's focus is a little more narrow, but again it doesn't have to be directly literal, much like Cheerilee's cutie mark being smiling flowers which represent her desire for her students to "bloom" and be happy.

So Sweetie Belle's cutie mark might be anything from a microphone on a stand, to a leaf of sheet music, to a treble or bass clef symbol, to a radio or jukebox, to an opera mask, to a particular musical instrument, to a pair of tap-dancing shoes, to a conductor's baton, to an electric guiatar amp, to a marching band, etc. Or it could even be something non-literal, like a cozy pillow or a trio of floating 'Z's to represent singing lullabies, or maybe a fedora and sunglasses to represent playing the Blues, or even a pompadour and sequined jacket to represent rock and roll, whatever.

And same thing with Scootaloo - just like rainbow dash, there are a lot of ways you could manifest agility, speed, and stunts into a cutie mark.

But more important than any of that is the fact that the girls, all three of them, are getting in the way of their own success. It's not just Scootaloo, not by a long shot.

And even more important than that, the CMCs exist for the sake of young girls who are unsure of themselves. The Mane Six represent very focused personalities with clearly delineated identities and abilities. But lots of people, particularly among the intended audience for the show, and even among the older fans, don't quite have that same level of certainty regarding identity and personal passion.

It's the very fact that the girls aren't sure of themselves, that this isn't just a simple problem with a quick solution, that one of their biggest hardships is waiting to find out who they are and where they belong in the world that makes them worth even having in the show to begin with. If the CMCs simply got their cutie marks in two episodes, as you suggest they ought to have, what sort of message would that send to people? That it isn't normal to not know who you're supposed to be, and if you don't figure it out lickety split then there's something wrong with you?

The CMCs are exciteable young girls who are a little too eager to grow up and don't quite realize it's okay to take the time to enjoy life and figure out who you are on your own, at your own speed. That's the entire point of their even being in the show. If they weren't trying to get that message across, they could just focus on the Mane Six with their sharply defined personalities and never deal with the concept of those who don't quite fall neatly into any one category at all.

~Alja~
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 24 May 2012, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 04:59

madAlric wrote:I think I'd have liked Lesson Zero more if it didn't end with Deus Ex Caelum. I'm sure Twilight's friends could have snapped her out of her crazy without a god falling out of the sky.

Wow, I didn't actually think of that before... It genuinely is th very definition of Deus Ex.... Ending suddenly seems a cop out.... Damn you.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 24 May 2012, 05:12

Deus Ex isn't always a cop-out. It's built into this series at the foundations, and thus isn't jarring until someone points it out, and it did serve a story purpose for the season, I.E. re-delegating the duties of reporting on the magic of friendship to the group as a whole. I just think that the episode would have been stronger standing on its own merit if Twilight's friends were the ones to help her, rather than a literal god.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 May 2012, 06:17

Is Celestia really a god though? She has heightened magical powers and a lengthened lifespan, but she specifically mentions that the she wasn't always co-ruler of Equestria - originally Discord ruled, and the sisters rose up to banish him.

It's an odd call. She and Luna are the only known pegasus unicorns, with both wings and magic horns. But they're also not all that more powerful than ordinary unicorns in terms of magic, and they seem to rely on ancient powers that are innate to Equestria (such as the Elements of Harmony) rather than their own natures. The fact that the weren't always co-rulers suggests that they weren't always in command of the sun and moon either, and that while they are associated with day and night, their powers aren't inborn but rather earned or endowed by Equestia itself.

~Alja~
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 24 May 2012, 06:46

Actually, Princess Cadance is also a pegasus unicorn (alicorn?). So while that was apparently not Lauren Faust's decision, it hurts the case for Celestia and Luna being gods.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 May 2012, 07:11

I'm somewhat torn on the usage of "alicorn" - it's a very recent word, less than century old, with no proper etymology and cropping up entirely in regards to modern writings on unicorns. It also originally refered to the horn itself, as a medical and alchemical reagent. For it to change meaning the way it has suggests a corruption, as the usage for a winged unicorn only first appears in 1984, by Piers Anthony, infamous for his punning-comedy-fantasy in the Xanth novels, suggesting a purposeful misuse that others took seriously. It's also not in common usage, so overall it just seems a poor choice of term, apt to breed as much confusion as it may clarity.

Anywho, presumably it is only the "Royalty" who are pegasus unicorns. But are they considered royals because of their physical nature, or is their physical nature some sort of magical side effect of their status?

~Alja~
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 07:18

Princess Celestia is a troll. Everyone knows that :D

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 24 May 2012, 08:15

Geoff_B wrote:Oh yes I do. Just not the CMC characters so much. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle and even Scootaloo are fine on their own, its just when they get together that it starts to grate on me. Everything else is great.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 May 2012, 09:22

Geoff_B wrote:Princess Celestia is a troll. Everyone knows that :D

You mean they're related? Does that make Lavos into Equestrian Royalty?

~Alja~
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 11:45

It would explain a lot actually :D

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 24 May 2012, 14:46

Sshhh... Say his name 3 times and he shall appear.

Or was that mr. Tiddlywinks?

Huh... Tiddlywinks, odd name.

Return to “General Discussion”