Any Bronies up in here?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Best Pony

Twilight Sparkle
17%
Rarity
5%
Applejack
5%
Pinkie Pie
13%
Rainbow Dash
18%
Fluttershy
23%
Derpy Hooves
7%
Dr. Whooves/My Little Timelord
7%
Zecora
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 149
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: Any Bronies up in here?

Postby psychopez » 30 Jan 2012, 09:03

the amativeness wrote:I'm surprised this was never brought up: AJ and family lose rights to "sell cider in Ponyville". There's nothing preventing them from A: harvesting and selling apples anywhere and B: selling cider anywhere else.

What they should have done is told Flim and Flam that they can certainly SELL cider, but if they want locally grown apples they will have to BUY them from Sweet Apple Acres. At retail cost. They could also add the condition that cider made from SAA's apples can ONLY be sold in Ponyville, unless otherwise approved by the Apple Family.

The episode would then end with "Dear Princess Celestia, I learned how to use legal loopholes to catch swindlers in their own traps. -AJ"

<PinkiePie>And that's how Ponyville's Cider Mafia was formed</PinkiePie>

And now i see Granny Smith as Don Corleone...
@mhasko
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 30 Jan 2012, 09:31

Does this thread count as the PonyReadyRun thread?
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 30 Jan 2012, 09:35

aeric90 wrote:Does this thread count as the PonyReadyRun thread?

Yes, so much yes!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jan 2012, 09:56

I think you're talking about the other thread.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 30 Jan 2012, 10:26

Rewatching it, I think you're right, although I suspect the CHustle thread is quite possibly an amalgamation of both threads.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 31 Jan 2012, 17:29

Out of curiosity, which do you prefer?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 31 Jan 2012, 18:16

tak197 wrote:Out of curiosity, which do you prefer?

The swift and brutal murder of pinkie-pie.

-m

I am not angry at you.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 31 Jan 2012, 19:51

zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 31 Jan 2012, 22:57

Incidentally, I don't know why I've never linked this before, but if you've not seen it, GO. NOW.

PONIES: The Anthology

-m

edit: NSFW as hell, by the by.

edit2: but life-changingly rad.

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 31 Jan 2012, 23:22

In other NSFW pony-related AMV news: this is great too:

What Pinkie-Pie's Song Actually Sounded Like.

NSFW. seriously. Language warning all up in this bitch.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 01 Feb 2012, 00:32

Matt wrote:Incidentally, I don't know why I've never linked this before, but if you've not seen it, GO. NOW.

PONIES: The Anthology

-m

edit: NSFW as hell, by the by.

edit2: but life-changingly rad.

And that's what got me into Ponies in the first place :D

And I know I posted this a while back but it's definitely worth a repost :D

Memories: A Rainbow Dash Tail
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 01 Feb 2012, 01:06

As a certain unnamed source once put it, Kanye West may be "a crass, arrogant, self-indulgent, pompous, vain, irritating, clueless, and profoundly daft pop star", but he puts out some visually interesting videos and makes some oddly likeable music.

PONIES takes one of his more striking pieces and brings it to perfection.

~Alja~
the amativeness

Postby the amativeness » 04 Feb 2012, 16:15

Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 04 Feb 2012, 23:52

Alja-Markir wrote:As a certain unnamed source once put it, Kanye West may be "a crass, arrogant, self-indulgent, pompous, vain, irritating, clueless, and profoundly daft pop star", but he puts out some visually interesting videos and makes some oddly likeable music.

PONIES takes one of his more striking pieces and brings it to perfection.

~Alja~
Saints Row: The Third needs to be incorporated into it some how. I have eternally linked that song and that game.
Image Image Image
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 05 Feb 2012, 04:31

psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 05 Feb 2012, 10:17

Equestria Daily said it best, it had to be done...

Reading Rainbow (Dash)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7gTVQzeTfU
@mhasko
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 08 Feb 2012, 14:32

http://www.space.com/14484-red-bull-stratos-supersonic-space-jump.html

One man's quest to make a record-breaking leap from near the edge of space is nearing make-or-break time.

Sponsored by energy drink Red Bull, Austrian extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner, 41, plans to skydive from a balloon in the stratosphere at an altitude of 120,000 feet (36,576 meters).

If he can do it, he'll become the first person to break the sound barrier outside of an aircraft. He'll also break a trio of other records that have stood for more than 50 years: Baumgartner's plunge would mark the highest skydive, the highest manned balloon flight and the longest free fall, at about 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

You may wonder why I have shared this in this thread. Its quite simple really. This man is trying to do a sonic rainboom. Let's just hope he remembers to fall both hoofs forward and not in the superman pose! :P
the amativeness

Postby the amativeness » 08 Feb 2012, 18:58

Guys. GUYS. GUYS!

I just watched next Saturday's episode. Seriously. Seems that some idiot checked the wrong box in the iTunes store and released the new episode early.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Feb 2012, 12:21

So it seems there is a storm over Derpy at the moment. Comments?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 09 Feb 2012, 12:30

People seem to care to much over a fan tip of the hat to make rational comments about it, from what I have seen.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Feb 2012, 13:08

Where the hell have you guys been - The derpy storm has been going on for more than a week.

I don't think there's much you can say to argue against the fact that the character of derpy is ableist on the surface, but not at all in the way that the controversy seems to imply.

“Derp” has pretty much always been a word for a momentary lapse in intelligence, I don’t think the word is really ableist in origin or intent, at least not generally. I certainly believe that it has been used in an ableist fashion from time to time in reference to the mentally handicapped.
That said, it’s use in FiM is not ableist in that way. Derpy is not a mentally handicapped character. The show’s writers have said as much. She is a clumsy, unlucky character who tries hard, but just sort of habitually screws things up.

What IS ableist about Derpy, (and which pretty much always has been) is the wall-eyedness. That represents a real physical condition that a lot of people do experience, and referring to that as “derpy-eyed” is clearly ableist and insulting. That is why Derpy got named Derpy by the fan base, and I think it’s a lack of awareness of that fact that led the writing team to canonize the name.

So, Derpy, ableist, but not in the way people are upset about.

Regardless, the “barking mad” pony in the next episode was WAAAAAAAAY more insensitive to mental illness than Derpy ever was.

Like, WAY, WAY more.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 10 Feb 2012, 05:27

The barking mad pony was absolutely hilarious, though.

The whole chase scene, I'm thinking "Is that barking? Like a "dog" dog? There aren't dogs in Equestria (discounting the Diamond Dogs which were disappointingly neither very canid nor Bowie-esque). Is that just like a sound effect that they threw in to play the trope of being chased by the authorities and waking up the town wi- OMFG A MADPONY BARKING?! GENIUS!"

As for Derpy and her eyes...

Even if we assume that Derpy is, in fact, meant to portray the medical condition known as Strabismus, how is her portrayal of people (or ponies) who are wall-eyed negative? Does Derpy at all suffer as a direct consequence of her eyes? Do other ponies mock her for her condition, or treat her differently because of it? It would only be ableist if being wall-eyed itself was portrayed as a negative thing.

What's really going on is people are noticing something unusual about a character and internally associating it with that character's other somewhat "negative" qualities - and then they are projecting that association onto others, id est, the show's creators. If Derpy was clumsy, but not wall-eyed, no one would complain. If Derpy was wall-eyed but not clumsy, there likewise would be no uproar. But because the two traits exist in the same character, people lazily assume they are logically connected.

Plenty of other characters in the show suffer from mishaps and clumsiness. Rainbow Dash crashes spectacularly while flying, the Crusaders are constantly making messes and screwing up magnificently, Twilight's library is forever being upended and disordered, and there are countless instances of slapstick ranging from pratfalls and anvil drops to spit takes and outlandish facial expressions. When all the "normal" ponies make mistakes or act clumsily, it's fine and dandy. But suddenly when the pony involved has eyes that don't line up it's offensive? I'm sorry, that's just not the way it works.

A good friend of mine is a young woman who has been blind since birth. Her biggest complaint is that other people treat her like she's made of glass. They're afraid to talk about her blindness for fear of being offensive. She has personally taken it upon herself to make fun of her own condition to break the ice and get people to loosen up. It's a very simple, very powerful way for her to say "I'm blind and that's okay. Don't worry about it, it's cool to talk about it and laugh about it in good fun."

She's always been blind. Life is harder for her than for others in many ways, and getting to know her helped me realize how much I take for granted about my own life. But it's not ableist to treat her like I would treat anyone else just because she has a so-called disability.

What IS ableist is directly mocking others for their disabilities. What IS ableist is discriminating against those who are not as capable in body or mind as the rest of us. What IS ableist is refusing to accept the differences of others as they are and as you find them.

And, according to one young woman at least, what IS ableist is treating someone differently in the name of being outraged over how others are supposedly treating them differently - wrapping them in a layer of white-knight oversensitivity and turning their differences into an uncomfortable and unspoken elephant in the room.

Accomodate the needs of others - but don't make a big deal out of it. Just accept it, and them.

~Alja~
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 10 Feb 2012, 05:38

In related news:

I'm just going to leave this here...

...riiiight here.

~Alja~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 Feb 2012, 09:17

Alja-Markir wrote:The barking mad pony was absolutely hilarious, though.

... That doesn't actually make it ok.

Alja-Markir wrote:As for Derpy and her eyes...
-snip-

None of that had even the slighest hint of anything to do with the objections I raised.

Having a pony, who exhibits a physical condition, one which is likely to be shared by a significant proportion of the viewer base, is not a problem.

Naming that pony a potentially ableist slur is.

No one’s saying they shouldn’t have or talk about characters that are physically or mentally handicapped in some way. But taking advantage of those handicaps for a cheap, throw away, laugh or making those characters the target of ableist language is actually really not cool.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 10 Feb 2012, 09:31

Wow such a huge fuss over an animator's mistake!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “General Discussion”