Osama Bin Laden Confirmed Dead!!!!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Re: Osama Bin Laden Confirmed Dead!!!!

Postby TheRocket » 01 May 2011, 22:55

Rikadyn wrote:Personally think this is just too coincidentally timed.

I believe he was probably killed during the initial invasion and the information was sat on till now.

Like... initial invasion 10 years ago??
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 01 May 2011, 23:01

First things first…

Rikadyn wrote:Personally think this is just too coincidentally timed.

I believe he was probably killed during the initial invasion and the information was sat on till now.

I’ve been saving this one:
Just so we’re clear, you’re saying that George W invaded Afghanistan, killed Osama, and then, instead of quickly reporting to everyone that the military invasion he authorized was a success, and that they had found the single most wanted man on the planet; he ordered the troop of soldiers that killed to keep it a secret, while they…what? Pickled the body? Preserved it in fucking carbonyte? For ten years? So that the NEXT guy, from the other party, could thaw him out and claim victory? Was it just a ten-year long conspiracy to ruin me and Rocket’s viewing of Celebrity Apprentace.

Alja-Markir wrote:Why does anyone care?

~Alja~

Because the man who orchestrated an attack that took the lives of three thousand men women and children, ignited a war, and changed western civilization, has been sent to hell.

I dunno. Sounds noteworthy to me.

Bananafish wrote:Americans found cheering and dancing in front of white house as though we just won a football game. the joy over this single death will surpass the collective pity for the innocent afghanis, pakistanis, and iraqis who have been left dead or homeless in the past decade.

1. Oh for fuck’s sake. We’ve been grieving over fallen friends for a decade now. We’ve earned a bit of joy.
2. If not for the little shit-stain who’s death we’re celebrating, the war that TOOK all those lives would never have started.
3. You realize that the people dancing in front of the white house are residents of DC, right? Ever hear of the pentagon? You know, five sided building? It was that OTHER building that had a hijacked plane rammed into it on 9/11? Guess where that is? Believe me, if you had to drive past that building every morning, see the big scar left by that plane, and remember what happened, you’d be dancing too.

Bananafish wrote:It is nothing but the realization of a 10-year revenge fantasy

What’s that Frank? Oh sure. Bananafish, my buddy Frank has a message for you.
This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment

Thank you Frank. I concur.

Bananafish wrote:Any empathy that Americans have is shallow and has been cultivated by the mass media for the past decade for this exact moment- for this orgy of nationalism.

Empathy for what?

Bananafish wrote:This death won't effect our foreign policy or military action, and our current legitimate threats will not change.

We KILLED the leader of Al-Qaeda. Our biggest threat DID just change.

Bananafish wrote:The amount of people personally or directly effected by the 9/11 attacks is amazingly miniscule, the people that are out hooting and dancing in the streets and in front of the Capital have, most assuredly, not been effected.

Tell you what. You come down here to DC, where the capital IS, and you say that out loud. No, that’ not me saying I’ll kick your ass. That’s me saying I won’t have to. BECAUSE THE FAMILIES OF THE VICTIMS OF THE PENTAGON, WHO ARE, I ASSURE YOU, AMONG THOSE PEOPLE DANCING, WILL DO IT FOR ME, ASSHOLE. What the FUCK makes you think those people weren’t affected? They’re dancing about ten or fifteen minutes away from the site of one of Osama’s attacks.

Just so we’re clear, just because that last statement wasn’t me threatening to kick your ass? Probably a good idea to avoid me for a little while. You sir, are on my LONG-term shit list.

Seriously. You are an unbelievable motherfucker.
Last edited by Wraith on 01 May 2011, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.
-Wraith
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 May 2011, 23:11

Aren't we glad this brought us all together?
And personally, I'm not dancing or happy. Yes I'm relieved but too fear what backlash this will cause soon.
My bro is going to be throwing a beer and pork party tomorrow however.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 May 2011, 23:12

King Kool wrote:Wraith, if you're gonna Wraith on them, don't waste your time. They're either trolls or idiots.

I think he meant that he was bringing the thunder to protect the lil darling he's married to.

Yes, iamafish, Al Qaeda has been so terribly fractured at this point that in some ways, this wasn't that big of a deal. As far as the actual crimes and murders he's committed, it's a huge deal. He was behind some of the biggest international terrorist attacks out there. It just happened to be that he was waging a war on specifically the US. I think that what really happened was that 9/11 woke a sleeping giant, in that up until that point, with the exception of perhaps the Pearl Harbor attack, the US hadn't been attacked on its own soil with its own resources. It served as a wakeup call to the US and the world, that just because we have a massive buffer zone around us to protect our country doesn't mean there isn't a person with a way to attack and bring harm to our people.

Anyway, I'm kinda over the whole story now anyway. He's dead, the world is a tad bit safer, let's move on.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 01 May 2011, 23:15

tak197 wrote:
King Kool wrote:Wraith, if you're gonna Wraith on them, don't waste your time. They're either trolls or idiots.

I think he meant that he was bringing the thunder to protect the lil darling he's married to.

Last person on earth that needs protecting. I was just really, really pissed about what fish-boy said.
-Wraith
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 May 2011, 23:17

Oh okay.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 01 May 2011, 23:19

Either way, this changes very little, we still involved in conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq and recently Libya. The fact reports are that he was in Pakistan, means there is a chance of the Afghan theater spreading further into Pakistan, and as always have the threat of conflicts occurring in the Iranian theater.

Most intelligence reports put Al-Queda is a relatively small group of around 300-500 people world wide, it's not the greatest threat, it's also well splintered and compartmentalized.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 May 2011, 23:26

Please be not threatening actual, physical violence against another forumgoer, regardless of how your opinions may differ.
Thanks.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 01 May 2011, 23:32

I'm sorry. It's a sensitive subject, and as someone who lives near, and has spent a lot of time IN D.C., as someone who came VERY close to losing my father IN the city where he's saying not that many people were affected and are unlikely to be the ones dancing; that sets me off.
-Wraith
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 May 2011, 23:36

Also, osama now holds the hide and seek champion title. after 70 years anne frank gets the title removed
As for where I got that, I went to 4chan to see how they're handling it and they're playing "america fuck yeah" from world police on it
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 May 2011, 23:38

Wraith wrote:I'm sorry. It's a sensitive subject, and as someone who lives near, and has spent a lot of time IN D.C., as someone who came VERY close to losing my father IN the city where he's saying not that many people were affected and are unlikely to be the ones dancing; that sets me off.
I know dude, I understand that, but its not something I'm comfortable having anyone get into.

Also, have you seen your avatar?
Y'all be imposing.
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 01 May 2011, 23:41

Rikadyn wrote:Either way, this changes very little, we still involved in conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq and recently Libya. The fact reports are that he was in Pakistan, means there is a chance of the Afghan theater spreading further into Pakistan, and as always have the threat of conflicts occurring in the Iranian theater.

Most intelligence reports put Al-Queda is a relatively small group of around 300-500 people world wide, it's not the greatest threat, it's also well splintered and compartmentalized.

We've been making predator strikes in Pakistan for years. The threat of it spreading into Pakistan has been present for a while. Barring some major change in that countries' political climate, I don't see Pakistan jumping in.

Every mass murderer that is put out of our misery is a good event. Unfortunately, the damage isn't undone just by taking him out of this world. The TSA won't be loosening up, the wars won't end right away, and political pressures on the rights of citizens won't be immediately ceased. We'll be removing his stain from history for many years to come.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 01 May 2011, 23:46

Wolfenbarg wrote:
Rikadyn wrote:Either way, this changes very little, we still involved in conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq and recently Libya. The fact reports are that he was in Pakistan, means there is a chance of the Afghan theater spreading further into Pakistan, and as always have the threat of conflicts occurring in the Iranian theater.

We've been making predator strikes in Pakistan for years. The threat of it spreading into Pakistan has been present for a while. Barring some major change in that countries' political climate, I don't see Pakistan jumping in.

Every mass murderer that is put out of our misery is a good event. Unfortunately, the damage isn't undone just by taking him out of this world. The TSA won't be loosening up, the wars won't end right away, and political pressures on the rights of citizens won't be immediately ceased. We'll be removing his stain from history for many years to come.

I'm loving the combo of this post and your avatar

For the sake of posterity, in case you change said avatar, it was this:

-Wraith
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 02 May 2011, 00:02

Wraith. You may know much about my character. You may not. So just in case, I will lay this tidbit on you. I do not cuss. It started off as a kid, being told that was what I should do. I said them occasionally when I didn't know what it meant, but I never swore and meant it. As I got older, I kept to it. I realized, I had gone this far, why not keep going? It was a bit stuck up to believe I was better than everyone else, just because the words I choose to use were different, when the meaning was the same. However, I decided that swear words are used so rampantly they have lost any sort of mening or impact.

It's like everyone is given a hat when they get about 10. They are told to only wear the hat when they are really mad, so that everyone around them knows they are for serial. Instantly, almost every kid put it on, and decided to never take it off. Me, I've been saving my hat. So that on that day when I put it on, people will be like, "WOW! I have never seem him wearing his angry hate. He most be really ticked."

Now having said that little piece, I just have one thing to say.

Wraith, I fucking love you, bro.
Image Image Image
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 02 May 2011, 00:27

Sieg Reyu wrote:Wraith, I fucking love you, bro.

And so began the most epic bromance on the face of the forums
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 May 2011, 00:28

I might have preferred it if he'd been taken alive to spend the rest of his days rotting in a dank cell somewhere.

I'm sure there's arguments that he could have escaped, or that Al Qaeda would focus on freeing him or whatnot that could potentially make it wiser to just outright kill him, but I can't condone the murder of anyone.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 02 May 2011, 00:40

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I might have preferred it if he'd been taken alive to spend the rest of his days rotting in a dank cell somewhere.

I'm sure there's arguments that he could have escaped, or that Al Qaeda would focus on freeing him or whatnot that could potentially make it wiser to just outright kill him, but I can't condone the murder of anyone.

Forgive me if the phrase is in poor taste but, beggars can't be choosers.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 02 May 2011, 00:50

arch4non wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:I might have preferred it if he'd been taken alive to spend the rest of his days rotting in a dank cell somewhere.

Forgive me if the phrase is in poor taste but, beggars can't be choosers.
Exactly. The rules are different here. You can't really call it murder

It's like in action movies, the hero charges into the bad guys compound. Kills dozens of guard,but since he's a good person, let's the bad guy live.

What about the dozens of other guys. Didn't have a problem killing them. They're all equal. Just kill em and get it over with Just because he has a big name, does not make him any different than the thousands of people who have died because or for him.

He was killed, not because it was the right thing to do, but because it was no the wrong thing to do, and was most consistent with previous actions.
Image Image Image
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 02 May 2011, 01:10

So, yeah.

It's obviously great he's dead, I'm people from all the dozens of countries in which Al Qaeda killed people will be very pleased, and rightly so. It's just unfortunate that it took the ridiculous amount of killing it did to get to this point.

Whether or not you think it is justified is going to heavily depend on your subjective emotional attachment to the event.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 May 2011, 01:12

That...really doesn't make me feel better here...

One person kills another person, that's murder, that's killing.

I don't have much of any emotional attachment to either Bin Laden, 9/11, or even the Iraq war, and I don't consider myself a pacifist, but violence is just unconscionable to me.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 02 May 2011, 01:19

It's almost impossible to objectively say whether something like this was 'worth it'.

I don't really know how you'd calculate something like that.
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 02 May 2011, 01:21

Osama was a figurehead, a symbol and leader of al-qaeda. I for one am pretty stoked he's gone.
I don't condone murder, but he had the death of thousands on his conscience and if at all possible would have added more to those. I don't see the problem in removing a vile person like that from the face of the earth.

While I hold no illusion that the terrorist actions will suddenly end it all it is a form of justice for one of the persons responsible for mass murder.

And I'm gonna leave this one right..... here:
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 May 2011, 01:32

I'm sorry that I've made some of you feel like I'm not doing enough to explain my point of view. I just honestly don't think I can - not that you won't understand it, but that I lack the means to show you what I feel, what I think, and what I fear.

~Alja~
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 02 May 2011, 01:43

Oh, but couldn't you try?

Use your words.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 02 May 2011, 02:09

Is it weird the first thing I thought when I saw a friend with their Facebook status as Obama 1 Osama 0 was to go to the LRR forums caue they would know what was going on?

Anyway, if my knowledge of video games means anything, firstly this death probably involved an incredibly unlikely knife throw involving the knife bouncing off several surfaces.

Secondly, all of al Queda will now instantly surrender, hand in their weapons, their land and possibly join are party and give us status boosts.

Return to “General Discussion”