Advice Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Advice Thread

Postby JayBlanc » 18 Jul 2012, 07:47

metcarfre wrote:The Market, Experience Music Project/Sci-Fi museum, Underground tour, etc. are all things I enjoyed. Seattle's a great city with LOTS of great food. On that note; GO TO SERIOUS PIE. GET THE ONE WITH POTATOES AND ROSEMARY. THANK ME LATER.

Underground Tour I've already ruled out. (Problems getting up and down stairways due to issues with the nerves in my legs)

Serious Pie goes on the list, if just to see if it's Potato and Rosemary pizza is better than Escape from New York's Potato and Pesto pizza in San Francisco. I've already been converted to the wonder that is potato as a pizza topping. As an aside, the person I'm staying with was also the person I stayed with when visiting San Francisco, and they were amused that I picked out a pizza joint as one of my must visits on that trip. So they're going to think I have some kind of potato pizza obsession...

They may be right...
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Jul 2012, 08:15

My wife and I have a semi-official rule that if we're on vacation in a place for three days or more, we Always have our last meal there at a very good pizza place. We've never been let down yet. We may or may not have even selected our spot for camping for a week this summer based on the fact that the park has an amazing, wood-fired pizza place located in a tiny shack, that delivers to your tent. Nothing so good as watching a pacific sunset with a beer and some pear-walnut-gorgonzola pizza.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Jul 2012, 08:25

metcarfre wrote:My wife and I have a semi-official rule that if we're on vacation in a place for three days or more, we Always have our last meal there at a very good pizza place. We've never been let down yet. We may or may not have even selected our spot for camping for a week this summer based on the fact that the park has an amazing, wood-fired pizza place located in a tiny shack, that delivers to your tent. Nothing so good as watching a pacific sunset with a beer and some pear-walnut-gorgonzola pizza.

WHAT. WHERE?

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Jul 2012, 08:36

Cape Disappointment State Park, near Ilwaco. I'm not sure if the pizza place has a real name, I think it's just 'Cape Disappointment Pizza'.

Note; Cape Disappointment and surrounding areas are not a disappointment. Neither is the pizza.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Jul 2012, 08:42

Crafty bastards, their name is a clever ruse.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JayBlanc

Postby JayBlanc » 18 Jul 2012, 08:59

It's some kind of universal rule isn't it? Somewhere called 'Desolate City of Doom' will actually be full of tree lined streets and nice cafes, while anywhere called 'Happy Valley Estates' should be avoided at all cost.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Jul 2012, 09:08

I believe it's called Cape Disappointment because Lewis and Clark didn't find the Northwest Passage. Or China. Or something.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 19 Jul 2012, 14:18

Anybody know of a free way to transfer files that are over 25 MB in size from me to someone helping me with a project?
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 19 Jul 2012, 14:19

Dropbox?
JayBlanc

Postby JayBlanc » 19 Jul 2012, 15:26

Dropbox works a lot better than email, due to spam filters and so on, you just put it into the 'public' folder and get the public url for it.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Jul 2012, 00:17

I would also suggest dropbox.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 20 Jul 2012, 00:39

Allright, cool. Thanks guys. I've never used Dropbox.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 20 Jul 2012, 01:10

Ok! Wow! I can't afford several hundred dollars for a year's worth of Dropbox usage.

I need something free. It needs to be free because I have no money. Is there nothing?
JayBlanc

Postby JayBlanc » 20 Jul 2012, 01:28

You don't need to get a paid account, the free account gives you 2GB of space. (Use my referral link - http://db.tt/OSyqhYu - and you should also get an extra 0.5GB)
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 20 Jul 2012, 01:51

Oh. Huh. Why would it be so difficult to find? I looked everywhere I could think on their site for a free option.

Thanks, man!
Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Postby Cybertrash » 24 Jul 2012, 11:16

So... This is kinda silly, but here goes:
The light in my kitchen died, and I can't swap the bulb... There's this glass er... "diffusion dome"(?) that sits over the actual lightbulb , and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it. I've tried unscrewing it, but it doesn't seem to be screwed in (it just spins endlessly in each direction), and I've tried just pulling it off, but it won't budge (or rather, you can feel the actual light mount budge).

Any ideas on what I can do? My kitchen has no windows, I kind of need the light to do my dishes...
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jul 2012, 11:25

There's always a way to change a light bulb. It might take three of you, because you're probably a geek, but it can be done.

Maybe take a pic and share what it looks like so we can help you?

Worst case scenario you can ask your landlord.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jul 2012, 11:41

BTW, the joke is, "How many geeks does it take to screw in a light bulb? Three - one to screw it in and two to argue over which version of the light bulb is the best."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Jul 2012, 12:39

Cybertrash wrote:So... This is kinda silly, but here goes:
The light in my kitchen died, and I can't swap the bulb... There's this glass er... "diffusion dome"(?) that sits over the actual lightbulb , and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it. I've tried unscrewing it, but it doesn't seem to be screwed in (it just spins endlessly in each direction), and I've tried just pulling it off, but it won't budge (or rather, you can feel the actual light mount budge).

Any ideas on what I can do? My kitchen has no windows, I kind of need the light to do my dishes...

There's one like that in my kitchen. The trick to the one I have is that there's a decorative ball on the bottom, and when you unscrew that, there's a nut that the diffusion dome thingy sits on. Unscrew that (while making sure you have a very good grip on the dome), and it all slides off. If yours is supported at the sides instead of the center, perhaps the covering there unscrews first? A picture would help.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 27 Jul 2012, 15:20

I'm thinking about painting a small squad of Space Marines in Runners colours with the Runners insignia.

The advice I need is this; what version of the Nintendo Light Gun colour scheme should I paint their weapons?
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 Jul 2012, 15:25

Bright orange is the best colour for pretty well anything.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 27 Jul 2012, 16:57

I didn't even know there was a grey version.

Orange is true scheme.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Jul 2012, 01:19

A'ight, cool. It's just, when I Googled them there were fairly even numbers of both so I was confused.

Also, the sergeant will have a power fist painted to look like the Power Glove. :lol:
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 28 Jul 2012, 13:20

That sounds pretty bad.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Jul 2012, 15:11

Thank you for your passive-aggressive, secret-but-not-really-secret comment, Otto!

But you see; I don't need your approval. I'm going to go ahead and do it because I think it's rad. :)

Return to “General Discussion”