Advice Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Advice Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Sep 2012, 14:59

metcarfre wrote:Also you should have a second unrelated teachable subject to study. For example, my brother (now a teacher) did history and geography. If you do art and design you could consider English or another language or something.

Art was the only subject I was passionate about.
I.E. In school I kept getting D-C grades. For GCSE I got a D. In AS Level I got a D. In A level I got a C. In my Level 3 Diploma I got a 'Pass'.

And then I completed a 3 years Honours degree and got a 2:2 despite barely passing on my Dissertation. Meaning, I liked the subject enough to keep at it. I was stubborn enough to keep at it. I am shit at Critical Studies in Art but I am very good in Practical Work.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 29 Sep 2012, 20:42

How would one go about fixing a hole in a wall (in this instance from a door handle)? I have the general idea that Spackle is involved? Plaster? Paint?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Sep 2012, 20:47

How big of a hole?

Generally, yes, drywall plaster, paint, if it's decent size, a patch of drywall.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 29 Sep 2012, 20:58

Fist-sized, ish.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Sep 2012, 21:08

Yeah, a patch of drywall, mesh drywall tape, spackle, paint. Ideally you could cut out a whole chunk that stretch over a stud so it can be screwed in place, but a patch should do. Oh, you'll need some kind of trowel or scraper item too.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 29 Sep 2012, 21:10

This... sounds like a bigger job than I anticipated. O.O

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Sep 2012, 21:14

C'mon, girl, this is something everyone should be able to do! *snaps fingers*
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 29 Sep 2012, 21:15

Fair. But dang. Time estimate?

Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 29 Sep 2012, 21:21

Let's put it this way: it's way faster to put a hole in a wall than it is to fix one.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 30 Sep 2012, 00:21

With that big of a hole after you mesh and spackle it will take a couple days to sink, then you have to sand and then spackle again and let ti sit, then sand and paint.

Or you could hang a poorly misplaced picture!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 30 Sep 2012, 02:09

The actual work time involved is probably no more than a few hours altogether though. Most time is lost waiting for the plaster to dry.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 30 Sep 2012, 10:11

Having just spent 2 weeks sanding walls, I never want to fucking spackle anything ever ever ever again and HATE the people who put up 70's casings over every fucking doorway while the paint was still wet.

Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 30 Sep 2012, 14:39

Fayili wrote:Fist-sized, ish.

Delayed Android upgrade?

Been there. Been there.
-Wraith
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 30 Sep 2012, 15:02

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:
auberginequeen wrote:Hoping someone can describe to me the taste difference between Bovril and Marmite. One is easier to acquire around here than the other. I like one and have never tried the other, and I'd like to get an idea before I go shopping.

Marmite I find is quite bitter. (Yeast Extract)

Bovril I find is quite salty. (Beef Extract)
If you toast bread, butter it and put some amount of Bovril on top whilst the butter is still molten, the butter and Bovril mix together into an epic mixture which is so hard to describe. It's so meaty yet so buttery and yet so bready.

If you have a mug of milk with it as well, it's immense. In a disgusting realisation it's 3 doses of Cow.

Cow Milk
Thick Cow Milk
Cow

Marmite might be healthier but Bovril tastes SO MUCH BETTER. I'd rather have a small amount of Bovril then any amount of Marmite.

Terribly sorry Merrymaker, only saw your post today. As I feel a general loathing towards bitterness I think I shall stick with Bovril. :D Many thanks.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Sep 2012, 15:21

Fayili wrote:How would one go about fixing a hole in a wall (in this instance from a door handle)? I have the general idea that Spackle is involved? Plaster? Paint?

If you have drywall:

If the piece punched out by the door handle is still hanging there, its relatively quicker, if you have a strait needle its really easy, stick the needle in the edge of the punched out piece and then jam it into the rest of the wall. Then just spackle you don't even have to tape, you SHOULD but you don't have to.

If the whole is completely knocked out, yeah you need to replace the piece, and cutting a square is the easiest way.

I recommend cutting a square of drywall about 1/2 an inch larger than the hole first, place that on the wall and use it as a guide to mark the wall. Then cut out the hole place in the patch, tape and apply joint compound DONT GO TOO THICK and "feather" your edges. Let it dry for several hours give it a sand and repeat a couple times.

As was stated, most of the time is waiting for the joint compound/spackle to dry.

If its plaster:

If the lattus (strips of wood) aren't broken, simply clean out all the broken bits and a make the hole a LITTLE bigger, then shove plaster into the hole let it dry and walk away.

If the lattus is broke, (more than a little) call a professional or its never going to look right and 50/50 will fall out if you look at it funny.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 30 Sep 2012, 15:40

Thank you, errbody! I'll let you know if I actually end up doing anything. XD

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Sep 2012, 17:01

Alternatively, if you can get a small piece of wood through the hole to use as a place to screw into.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/prime-line-3-1-4-in-white-wall-and-door-knob-stop-u-9243.html#.UGjrF1GetMw

it will also minimize the chances of it happening again.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Oct 2012, 11:03

I need advice. I'm planning on trying to go to PAX East this March. I'm currently looking into hotel rooms and methods of getting there. Currently I'm the only one going and am on a tight budget. So any advice on hotels that are relatively nearby and are still rather cheap would be appreciated, as would advice on what to plan for and such.
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 01 Oct 2012, 11:15

Kapol wrote:I need advice. I'm planning on trying to go to PAX East this March. I'm currently looking into hotel rooms and methods of getting there. Currently I'm the only one going and am on a tight budget. So any advice on hotels that are relatively nearby and are still rather cheap would be appreciated, as would advice on what to plan for and such.

Room share thread in the Penny Arcade forums. Easiest way to save money.

You want to have your food budget(I suggest buying groceries and storing them in a minifridge as PAX food is expensive as fuck). As for relatively nearby the PAX Hotel thread on the Penny Arcade forums would be a much better guide.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Oct 2012, 11:31

The only problem I have with room-sharing is that the idea of splitting a room with a stranger is worrisome at best. It seems like so much could go wrong so easily. Not even intentionally either. It could be something as simple as someone suddenly can't make it due to urgant matters at home.

It's an option I'll consider though. I'll look more into the PAX forums sometime tonight as see what I can gleam from there.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 01 Oct 2012, 11:34

Is anyone familiar with posting high quality photos to places like facebook and g+ without losing quality or having be compressed to shit. I've tried 70dpi and pngs and I just can't wrap my head around it. I use save to web the other night in a jpeg and that didn't go horribley, but there was still a loss of quality and compression, jsut not as bad.

Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Postby Cybertrash » 01 Oct 2012, 11:48

TheRocket wrote:Is anyone familiar with posting high quality photos to places like facebook and g+ without losing quality or having be compressed to shit. I've tried 70dpi and pngs and I just can't wrap my head around it. I use save to web the other night in a jpeg and that didn't go horribley, but there was still a loss of quality and compression, jsut not as bad.

I'm assuming links are out of the question?
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 01 Oct 2012, 15:00

Correct.

The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 02 Oct 2012, 00:50

Facebook and G+ have undetermined limits on how big the pictures you upload can be, I'm afraid. If you want somewhere to upload at high quality you'll have to go with an image host, or... deviantART (dun dun duuun D: ).

Sorry, FB and G+ are not really about good photography. :?
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 06 Oct 2012, 14:45

Should I take Krav Maga or Brazilian Ju Jitsu first? (Instructional classes taken through the rec center at college.) I'll take both eventually. I feel like I should get a head start on BJJ because there are many levels, and I want to get through some of them. Also, friends are recommending that for me. But I feel like Krav Maga's pretty badass...

Return to “General Discussion”