Advice Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Re: Advice Thread

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 11:21

I don't know what I was hoping for... maybe THIS ONE TRICK SCROLL-SAW MANUFACTURERS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT. or something.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jan 2015, 11:54

Any woodturners near you who could assist?

I'm thinking chisel the thing into a rounder shape, then pay a wood turner to finish it off.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 11:54

is a wood-turned different from a lathe?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Jan 2015, 11:56

Woodturning simply refers to using a lathe on wood, I think.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 11:58

ahhh
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Jan 2015, 12:06

Bearing + electric drill + clamps/mount = cheapo lathe?
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 12:07

hmmm... maybe if I had another table leg to practice on first:P
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 29 Jan 2015, 14:41

As a casual woodturner, I advise you to not step near a lathe, much less a homemade one, without a very good idea of what you're doing. Lathes are not only dangerous, they are difficult to use and require skill to operate. This is before you think about how the sample's grain is going, how the rest of it is shaped, how difficult it is to get a saw in there, etc. etc. There's also the question of there being a place on your bannister that you're happy to get rid of in order to attach to the lathe, plus ensuring it's centred properly.

Also, an electric drill doesn't have anywhere near the torque to power a lathe, even a cheapo one, and particularly when it comes to squaring off corners. Torque = Force*Distance, after all.

To my mind, you have two choices; either you find a woodturner and give it to them (they are surprisingly common, but tricky to know where to find, and this project is probably simple enough not to require a payment of any significance), or if you want to do it DIY then plane it roughly to shape (I recommend a spokeshave for getting rid of a lot of wood both quickly, accurately and in complex shapes) and down the rest manually. This is, however, dependent on how good your eye is.

This is, of course, presuming that the top must be perfectly rounded; it might be easier (at least to do accurately) to cut it to some vaguely sinuous, handle-like shape and sand that instead.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Jan 2015, 15:27

I echo the idea that lathes are hazardous and that attempting to build one would be quite dangerous.

Also, would not doing it by hand be more in keeping with the early 19th century? Before someone complains I am fully aware that lathes have existed since antiquity.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 15:57

Oh I know, I know... I wasn't going to seriously try that with the drill. I've hewn it down a bit using a chisel and then rounded those edges. I don't know... perhaps I've convinced myself that it won't stop looking like a bannister until it's perfectly rounded, but I'm still not satisfied. I'm not doing it for the grip, really... I've already found a marble former doorknob for the top (there's your authenticity question, Crusher... it's not about being authentic, it's about the part visible to the public eye looking close enough). I'll probably have to prop it up and get a long bit of sandpaper and try to even it out like a reverse belt sander. Thanks for the advice folks!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jan 2015, 16:03

Remember, licking an active sander belt is good luck.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jan 2015, 16:31

Shepherds canes might be tall enough since they're a working-tool. I.E. have to be be functional (and tall enough) rather than dapper.

But you might channel a weird look.

I'm thrilled with my Dad's Gandalf staff which I use for walking when it ever snows here.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 16:32

Elomin Sha wrote:Remember, licking an active sander belt is good luck.

A tongue bandage is the ultimate good luck charm!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Jan 2015, 05:09

Anyone have experience moving prescriptions between pharmacies?

My roommate has some prescriptions filed with a pharmacy back in New Brunswick, but of course that chain doesn't exist here in Nova Scotia. She tried going to a local pharmacy to get help, but apparently wasn't able to get any useful assistance.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 30 Jan 2015, 05:29

Master Gunner wrote:Anyone have experience moving prescriptions between pharmacies?

My roommate has some prescriptions filed with a pharmacy back in New Brunswick, but of course that chain doesn't exist here in Nova Scotia. She tried going to a local pharmacy to get help, but apparently wasn't able to get any useful assistance.

I usually just get more prescriptions.
Sorry :/
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jan 2015, 06:30

Maybe having to go to a local GP/Doctor would be best.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Feb 2015, 06:35

UK Runners: Do any of you know any good Print services that offer products to the same quality as moo.com?

I want to mobilise my self-employed art business this summer and I have already decided to do Greetings Cards. But it would also be useful if I was aware of other products I could manufacture, like mugs/placemats/coasters etc.. Just Moo only offers Greetings cards for me. I ask to save myself a lot of work and grief trying to find a second supplier of merch to sell.
I have social anxiety so I am not keen going to a local printshop/phoning a print shop and ask about things.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Feb 2015, 07:44

vistaprint.co.uk
Printed.com

I have actualy used printed.com. I had them print the Kathlink and GanonMatt poster and the 50 arcade video games for DBFH.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 05 Feb 2015, 09:49

Conversely, I used Vistaprint (.ca) for business cards a couple months back, and was very happy with them. They seemed to offer a pretty wide range of options too. That said, I'd check both, and maybe search for some more, if I were you. Everyone is going to have a slightly different metric of what they're looking for in something like this.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Feb 2015, 10:06

I went with a print before and asked for sample selection of greetings cards.
I was really disappointed with the cards. Wasn't sure if it was the quality they produce or the fact they didn't care for a demo set (since it wasn't profit).
As a result, I want to look into printers that people recommend.
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 06 Feb 2015, 04:21

So I've been saving up for a while now to buy my first car. Any advice for someone who has never owned one before?
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Feb 2015, 04:51

When choosing a car, bring a parent and someone who is knowledgeable with cars (if you can).

My sister took my dad and her previous driving instructor (who is also now her friend, magically).
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Feb 2015, 06:12

Psycat Aurora wrote:So I've been saving up for a while now to buy my first car. Any advice for someone who has never owned one before?

My first car was a 10 year-old Yaris with over 110k on the clock, which sounds like a recipe for disaster; thing is, it was my parents' car before mine, I knew it well and knew it was reliable and tight as a drum. So that's my first bit of advice- if you can, go with something you know. A friend's car, a family member's whatever.

Secondly, get hold of a Parker's guide (or your local equivalent). That should tell you the market going rate for pretty much any car of any age & mileage; because you're buying privately, expect to spend at least 10% (and quite possibly more) more than the listed price. That should help you rule out anything ridiculously expensive

Thirdly, and perhaps obviously, never buy anything without driving it first. You can learn so much about a car from the way behaves on the road; grinding clutches, dodgy gears, a rattly exhaust- all are things you can pick up on. Bear in mind though that this can be misleading on occasion; when I was shopping for my current car, I drove a couple of Toyotas with the same engine and clutch, and one sounded much quieter and calmer than the other. Reason being that the latter car was more expensive (both when new and at current price) and thus had much better soundproofing, so it wasn't that one car was in much better nick than another- it was that I didn't notice when I'd revved it up to 3500rpm by accident.

Fourth, start small. Engine should be no more than 1400cc (and even then that's a bit big for a petrol) until you've got a few years' driving under your belt, not least because otherwise you'll be stung like hell for insurance. Similarly, having a car that is physically small will make it easier to drive (unless, of course, you have a pressing need for space).

Fifth, for a first time buyer you want to be sure you're getting what you ask for. Only buy privately if you know the seller personally, otherwise stick to dealers. Car supermarkets are OK, but their product varies widely in quality and they don't have anything like the quality assurance of proper dealers. It will be more expensive that way, but frankly it's difficult to trust any car you buy nowadays for less than around £2500 (at least over here; your local equivalent may be different.

Sixth, Google is your friend when identifying the model you're after. Actually buying cars online is a messy, tricksy business (see point three), but a quick search can give you a nice idea of what kind of thing is a) best suited for your situation and b) in reasonably good supply near you. You don't want to have your ideal car picked out, and then sit waiting for three years to see one go on sale. A search of past bids on eBay will give you a rough idea of what a given model has been selling for.

Seventh, Merry is right- bring someone with you. Even if they don't know much about cars, having someone as backup means you're in a better position to negotiate (you are going to have to haggle if you're buying second-hand, unfortunately) and are less likely to be pressured into making a decision. If they know the kinds of thing to look for in a car, then so much the better.

Eighth, know the main things to look for. You don't have to be a car whizz, but don't even think about buying something without a full service history, and if you see flecks of different-coloured paint under the bonnet or boot, walk away immediately without second thoughts. Beyond that, just make sure the thing sounds OK, the clutch behaves itself (don't worry if the biting point is different from where you're used to- you will adapt), all the gears mesh properly and the brakes do their job. If you're taking it for a test drive, a quick run out somewhere you can change through the gears followed by some idle manoeuvres down a quiet side street or residential area should give you a feel for the thing.

Ninth, make sure you know your local laws regarding taxing, testing etc. And then get the paperwork for all that sorted ASAP- it's not something you want to wait around on.

Finally, take your time. By the sounds of it you don't have a pressing need for a car right this second, so give yourself time to make a proper, informed decision. Dithering won't help your case much, but even if you do get one swiped from under your nose by another buyer- eh, these things happen. Just move on to the next one.

Hope that helps!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 07 Feb 2015, 05:04

Cool. That's great advice. Thanks.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 07 Feb 2015, 05:59

Personally I don't really agree on the engine size bit though. But that depends entirely on what kind of car you are looking to buy.

My advise would be this. Before you start looking at cars, decide what you need. Are you looking for transport around the city, something small and compact, transport for long distances, transporting large stuff?

Your needs dictate the sort of car you'd be looking for and it makes choosing and looking around much easier. Carry around a lot of stuff? Look for something largish like a stationwagon or a 4 door saloon. Need something to putter around town? Get a compact 2 door with a small engine. Need to travel long distances get something a little larger with a decent size engine.
Secondly allocate a budget for buying it, then allocate a budget you have per month to keep a car running. You'll probably need atleast 1/5th of the cars purchase price each year for maintenance, then insurance and fuel on top of that. Once you've decided the sort of car you want to buy you can get a few insurance quotes for different sort of cars to get an idea of what it'll cost you. Even cars of comparable size and engine power can vary in insurance and fuel use.

Don't start looking at actual cars until you have a decent idea of what you need. Look around, narrow it down to 1 or 2 types/makes of car, then looking at a few different ones of those and get the best value for money.

Once you start looking at actual cars things get a bit more complicated. Best thing is to have someone with some knowledge of cars come with you to keep a more subjective eye. Try never to buy a car because you fall in love with it. If you're buying a manual transmission car, test the clutch and parking brake on the testdrive. Park somewhere with enough room, put the handbrake on, put the car in 1st gear and let the clutch out. If the car stalls before it starts moving everything is in order. If it starts moving without stalling the handbrake and/or rear brakes are gone (walk away from it, brake repairs are expensive). If it doesn't move with the clutch fully released, the clutch plates are gone. You should probably walk away again, unless you can get a good agreement on replacing the clutch. (Always have it replaced, some less scrupulous sellers will just tighten the clutch cable a bit, or put on a few washers, which might fix the problem just long enough for you to drive home)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.

Return to “General Discussion”