Loading Ready Run and TGWTG.com

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AC Drawings
First Video: Hot Water at PAX

Loading Ready Run and TGWTG.com

Postby AC Drawings » 12 May 2011, 07:28

I wasn't sure if I was going to post his here or not but figured you guys might find it to be interesting, or you might not.

Here's a link to a blog about how things are connected on the net using Loading Ready Run and Thatguywiththeglasses.com as talking points, but if you can't or don't want to access the link, I'll post it long form here:

Geek Rant 17: Internet Interconnectivity

I'm going to complain for a few moments, but after this little history lesson, you'll see my point

Once Upon a time, two young adults named Graham Stark and Paul Saunders situated in Canada decided to gather a group of their friends and make sketch comedy once a week. They have been doing this once a week consistently for... wow, seven years now. The website is called Loading Ready Run. Graham and Paul, along with a semi-rotating cast of friends have been doing this since 2003. They've also done a few live shows around Canada.

In 2008, Graham and Paul created a Mystery Science Theatre 3000-like show called Unskippable where they made fun of video game cutscenes that are too long and were hosted by The Escapist Magazine, an online gaming news/review/commentary website. In 2010 Loading Ready Run proper was picked up by The Escapist. Also in 2010 for The Escapist they began a show called The Daily Drop where they have dropping objects and the drop is slowed down by a high speed camera. They have been doing these videos weekly without fail, and the Daily Drop daily without fail. Additionally, within the weekly Loading Ready Run they have commodoreHUSTLE, a mini sitcom about selfish exaggerated versions of the main Loading Ready Run cast. Furthermore from 2009 to 2011 the did a fake comedy news show called the Escapist News Network, a show that made fun of video games in the style of a news channel and just recently they have rekindled their fake news network efforts with Checkpoint on Penny Arcade TV.

And in 2007, they began their annual charity drive, Desert Bus for Hope where Loading Ready Run plays the world's worst and most boring game nonstop while doing funny things per request of viewers on a live streamed video. They then give the money to the Child's Play charity established the creators of the webcomic Penny Arcade.
---------------------------------------
Once Upon a sooner time, Doug Walker of Chicago, Illinois had something of a mid-life crisis involving nostalgia and to strike back at the past, he invented an angry and bitter and loud persona named the Nostalgia Critic that had a go at all the old shows from the 90s and 90s we thought was good and godly when we were kids and we realized that it was bad. He also made 5 second movies, and He made a crazed hobo persona, Chester A. Bum, that reviewed current movies, and a sadistic psychotic "gentleman"who answered questions in a sick and wrong manner known only as Ask That Guy. This began in 2007.

In 2008, Doug Walker, his brother, and his web and financially savvy friends created a website called That Guy With The Glasses.com and became an overarching production company called Channel Awesome where they gathered a small assortment of people who also did reviews or entertainment reviews over the internet of other geeky media who either were already well known like The Spoony One the film and video game reviewer who also started in 2007 but before Doug, or gained their fame from the website like Linkara the comic book reviewer among others. They currently have over 35 regular contributors and associates including the Internet famous Angry Video Game Nerd. The Website has garnered contributors from Oceania, Europe, and North America. Their contributor base is so large they've separated them into separate teams, Inked Reality the anime, cartoon, and comic reviewers; Blistered Thumbs for the video game reviewers which has become it's own website; and Team TGWTG for everyone else (Movie and Music reviewers primarily as well as everything else that doesn't fit into a neat category.).

Every year as many of them as possible gather together to make a movie to celebrate the anniversary of the website. They just recently returned from Chicago for their 3rd year anniversary. Additionally in 2009 they had a charity drive for the Ronald McDonald House charity and they did it again in 2010. Furthermore, after they got their website and moved their videos from youtube to blip, Doug Walker was able to make enough money based on ad revenue to quit his day job and make doing videos for TGWTG.com as his career and the other contributors are essentially moonlighting for what seems like decent money.
--------------------------------------------------

Now why did I explain this? Well guess which one is the more well known among the internet? I'll give you a hint, it's not the guys who are literally older than YouTube. The sad thing is that I had never even heard of Loading Ready Run until just this past August, yet I heard of The Nostalgia Critic et al. a few months after they came up.

How did this happen? How did the geeky sketch comedians who have been working out of pocket longer than they have been getting paid for their work be significantly be less well known in comparison to the now large and almost over encompassing Nostalgia critic and company who are making good money off of their enterprise? Both groups are hilarious, both groups have a lot of stuff that's hit or miss and both groups have things that are not for everyone. What happened?

I have a few theories.

1) It's What They Do

This is the biggest reason. Everything else is window dressing and qualifiers so that I make sure I covered everything but this is the biggest one.

The Nostalgia Critic and et al. are derivative humorists. They make you laugh by making fun of something you already know about or want to know about. Or in the case of some of the contributors who want to be serious reviewers, they are providing their perspective on something you might be interested in. Basically, if you're looking into something you're interested, chances are you'll find one of these guys, perhaps find them funny, tell your friends, the cycle continues.

Loading Ready Runs done the occasional parody or they do game humor but really, nothing specific, and since they cover all sorts of humor and topics each week there's very little you can find them by unless you're explicitly searching for something about the Commodore 64 (the old computer game system Loading Ready Run bases a lot of their music and visual stylings from.) or you're looking for sketch comedians specifically. I mean from what I understand people loved Unskippable and those that did were blissfully unaware of Loading Ready Run or just didn't care about it. And on Talk Like A Pirate Day, people spread around their hilarious "How To Talk like a Pirate" video but viewers seem to be willingly unaware of the website forcing it's name and web address into the beginning of the video despite viewers asking for more funny stuff like it.

2) It's Who They Know

Loading Ready Run is on the website The Escapist, where the Escapist's claim to fame is the English-Aussie fast talking trash talking nitpicky video game reviewer who is known for his unusual style and harsh reviews named Yahtzee and his show Zero Punctuation. This is probably almost all The Escapist is known for. People go there for a few things and that's it, Unless someone points you in a certain direction or you're feeling adventurous, you're not going to find Loading Ready Run all that fast. I sure didn't until I decided to feel adventurous one day. It's not like they referenced each other often or had crossovers or anything like that.

The Nostalgia Critic et al. practically had a huge network to work from. I mean first of all, you had him starting out with a small group of contributors who had their own small amount of fans. Then he had a mini-"rivalry" with the already internet famous old video game "reviewer" The Angry Video Game Nerd who had been doing his thing since 2004. They crossed over a few times in fake fights which ended in an all out Video Gamers versus Critics brawl in the TGWTG.com's year 1 anniversary which by then the TGWTG.com had gathered a modest amount of contributors, enough to cover almost every reviewing niche. And these contributors brought their own friends who told their friends, and the Angry Video Game Nerd's fans told their friends and the empire just grew.

Furthermore, because TGWTG.com is like one big happy family, cameos, and inter video jokes are frequent and during get-together crossovers are abound. Who exactly does Loading Ready Run have crossovers with?

Do they need to do that? of course not, it would take away from their already excellent videos, I'm just taking note but really, no one on the Escapist is open for that sort of thing besides the occasional shout out and plug to one another and really only when it's relevant to the video they're doing .

3) It's Where They Are

Canada, the hat of the United States that is simply known for maple leaves, maple syrup, beavers, hockey, snow, lumberjacks, Mounties, and being not as interesting as the United States. Oh and a lot of Lifetime movies are filmed there, I did not see that coming.

The United States. I think those two words say enough, it's just the United States, the self-important policing country of crazy people with views so polarizing they practically screw themselves over while they try and fail to not screw the rest of the world over.

Everyone knows about The United States.

Few people remember Canada is even there.

My poor logic therefore states that people will know about the Nostalgia Critic et al.

And Few people will remember Loading Ready Run is even there.

And That's terrible.

4) It's How They Are

A lot of the things on the TGWTG.com, following the Nostalgia Critic mold, tend to be yelling or angry, or start out as such or are well known for their louder or angrier reviews, especially if it's of something people like, becuase controversy sells, even if it's fake or used for mostly comedy.

Loading Ready Run is friendly. These guys aren't controversial or mean-spirited, they just make eccentric sketch comedies each week. The moat mean-spirited they've been was that one time they made a whole video about how much Uwe Boll (German movie director known for making bad movies based on beloved video games) sucks, or the video where they make fun of the people who make the -Movie movies (Epic Movie, Scary Movie, Meet The Spartans, Vampires Suck, etc.). They're almost piggy backing on the fame of their meaner and more controversial associates on the Escapist i.e. Yahztee and MovieBob. Their modesty really puts their video about Canadians and apologizing into a strange light.

---------------------------------------

So What is the issue here?

I guess it's just taking a look at the fascinating difference between the internet and television. While TV has commercials so you can hear about other shows to check out as well as ads in other media, webshows tend not to have that sort of luxury. Everything usually done cheap to maximize their meager profit so advertising is not the biggest priority. This means everything is communicated via word of mouth, or in some cases, some random guy gives a link to some friends and acquaintances in a message board thread. Unless you're looking for something specific or someone points something about to you, everything will remain in obscurity.

I mean would unless you were a regular on Drunkdunk.com, would you even know of Charby The Vampirate, probably one of the greatest webcomics ever? I surely wouldn't have until I was told about it directly. You think anyone would cared about how funny and well written I'm A Marvel and I'm a DC and all it's skits and stories if they used anything but superhero figurines?

And I suppose it's the hands of fate that determine what gets know and what doesn't when it comes to the internet. Doesn't matter how talented or funny you are, if few people are seeing you, you're not going anywhere. And I suppose I'm mostly jaded because I love Loading Ready Run and find that they should about as big as The Nostalgia Critic or TGWTG.com and they're not.

Oh well, that's life I suppose.

-Good Bye, Good Luck, and Imagination Is Your Greatest Power.
Mousa The 14
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Loading Ready Run and TGWTG.com

Postby theDreamer » 12 May 2011, 08:10

Just a quick note: they did do crossovers.

Like ZP's review of Halo Wars
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 May 2011, 08:28

That's really cool, thanks!
We often wider ourselves "why aren't we better known?" and there's some interesting points there.

If doing stuff we personally find funny, rather than going for an easy laugh (not to imply TGWTG does) and being friendly means we're not kings among Internet-mans, then so be it :D
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 12 May 2011, 08:34

Yeah, that was a neat read.

The "doing what we think is funny rather than trying to fill a niche" thing was a conscious decision we made a long time ago, knowing that it meant it would be more difficult to get traction - but there are some very interesting points in there.

No doubt if we had had a better grap of the internet back when we stated we could have much more aggressively worked to get our name out there, but when we started out the idea of a site like this, or TGWTG was totally novel. no one knew what they were doing.

Had we started on Youtube, we'd have had a huge leg up on distribution. Had we started 3 or 4 years later, we'd have had a much clearer picture of how to use the internet to broaden a site's reach.

Oh well, live and learn.

-m

I am not angry at you.
AC Drawings
First Video: Hot Water at PAX

Postby AC Drawings » 12 May 2011, 10:05

Please excuse a lot of my grammatical errors, I just noticed a bunch of them when I read the thing aloud.

theDreamer wrote:Just a quick note: they did do crossovers.

Like ZP's review of Halo Wars

Oh god, that was hilarious, I suppose one little infraction is a small price to pay for all of the other "research" I did. Thanks for pointing that out.

Graham wrote:That's really cool, thanks!
We often wider ourselves "why aren't we better known?" and there's some interesting points there.

If doing stuff we personally find funny, rather than going for an easy laugh (not to imply TGWTG does) and being friendly means we're not kings among Internet-mans, then so be it :D

Matt wrote:Yeah, that was a neat read.

The "doing what we think is funny rather than trying to fill a niche" thing was a conscious decision we made a long time ago, knowing that it meant it would be more difficult to get traction - but there are some very interesting points in there.

Thank you, Glad you like it, I tried my best. You and the others do fantastic work. While your decision has not been the best for popularity and distribution your content and style is still top notch and I probably would not want things to occur in any other way.

This was just interesting to point out and it was apparent to me after reading a comment somewhere on how a lot of internet sites and shows have terrible distribution and advertising; forum link were virtually the only way of getting things known and after a lot of thought and the realization that despite you gus having time and consistency on your side, the other site had the numbers I knew I had something here.

Matt wrote:No doubt if we had had a better grap of the internet back when we stated we could have much more aggressively worked to get our name out there, but when we started out the idea of a site like this, or TGWTG was totally novel. no one knew what they were doing.

Had we started on Youtube, we'd have had a huge leg up on distribution. Had we started 3 or 4 years later, we'd have had a much clearer picture of how to use the internet to broaden a site's reach.

Oh well, live and learn.

-m

I agree most definitely, you guys were pioneers and hindsight is always 20/20.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 12 May 2011, 10:48

I've gotten kind of tired of the stuff Channel Awesome does. Most of the stuff is just so overly angry, uninsightful, and amateurish. The only one I really follow is The Nostalgia Chick and since she posts all her stuff on Facebook now I don't even have to go to That Guy with the Glasses anymore.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 12 May 2011, 11:06

I follow a few of the people on there. Paw, and Obscurus Lupa are the two main ones. They have a bit more of a positive spin on the stuff they do, that and I just love the sarcastic comments of Lupas stuff.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 12 May 2011, 11:29

Thing is, I get the feeling that TGWTG may eventually collapse due to its own chaos. I used to watch a lot of the videos there regularly, but they bring so many people in all the time that I have a hard time keeping track of what's going on, and in doing so loosing my interest in watching shows there.

Here, while most videos hit and some may miss, it's something I don't miss and often rewatch old videos.

TGWTG see as an internet start up of old, sky's the limit as long as they can keep that frantic energy, the old guard was the new guard 3 months ago, that sort of thing. LRR is the local mom and pop, it may not be as flashy, but the whole neighborhood knows everything will be good, and if it's not you can tell the owner why over a coffee or something.

TGWTG I don't buy anything and block the ads because all I want is the video. If some video I like leaves, so what, there'll be a new guy there with more video I like eventually, so I can just wait. LRR is a known quality that I will go out of my way to support (swag, unblock ads, pub club, word of mouth) in what ever minor way I can.

TGWTG is the one night stand. LRR is the sweet girl next door I've had a crush on for years and ... okay, these metaphors are getting out of hand, yinz guys get the idea.
@mhasko
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 12 May 2011, 13:16

Honestly, as good as LRR's comedy is, it's not the thing that keeps me wanting to support the group, keep the ads on, tell people I know about it, etc. It's the general rapport of the crew, and particularly the way you handle criticism.

Far too often I'll see a creator, when faced with criticism, say something to the effect of "If you don't like it, no one's making you read/watch it, so go away." You guys don't do that. It tends to be more along the lines of "Sorry you didn't like it; we hope you'll like the next one more," or if it's LRR is general, "Sorry you didn't like it; hopefully you'll find something that matches your sense of humor." I really appreciate that because that tells me you don't consider you fans disposable like so many internet creators do. After all, if you've got tens of thousands of fans, who cares if you tell one to piss off for not thinking your work is a masterpiece, right? But you guys don't think that way.

If someone doesn't like a video, if doesn't mean they dislike LRR in general or what their opinion is automatically invalid. Not only have you repeatedly said that humor can't be everything to everyone, but you truly seem to get it.

And that is why LRR is one of the few sites I try to support the success of in what little ways I can.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 12 May 2011, 14:10

I had just opened thatguywiththeglasses just before I came into this thread. Spooky...

Though I think that's a good read, and pretty fair. I prefer LRR to TGWTG, and I only really follow nostalgia critic. LRR is always of a very consistent quality, it always looks great, and it always makes me laugh and smile. It is my internet constant.
Keelah Se'lai
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 12 May 2011, 14:45

Oh man, Channel Awesome drama...
Let's just say there was a very good reason my brother left TGWTG to do his own thing.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 12 May 2011, 14:51

Drama?
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 12 May 2011, 14:53

madrak_the_red wrote:I had just opened thatguywiththeglasses just before I came into this thread. Spooky...

Though I think that's a good read, and pretty fair. I prefer LRR to TGWTG, and I only really follow nostalgia critic. LRR is always of a very consistent quality, it always looks great, and it always makes me laugh and smile. It is my internet constant.

This is a really good point. I like some of the stuff TGWTG puts out, but other stuff is pretty meh. LRR is always awesome, even when they're just doing behind the scenes kind of things. Granted, TGWTG is is way more prolific than LRR, but on the internet it's quality that counts, not quantity.

And yeah, I do get the feeling that TGWTG has constant drama just because they're all working independently rather than as a team.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 12 May 2011, 14:58

Dave-O_Boy wrote:I've gotten kind of tired of the stuff Channel Awesome does. Most of the stuff is just so overly angry, uninsightful, and amateurish. The only one I really follow is The Nostalgia Chick and since she posts all her stuff on Facebook now I don't even have to go to That Guy with the Glasses anymore.

Bingo.

The difference between TGWTG working in niches was already noted, but there's another one that should be important to keep in mind:

That Guy With The Glasses is known for its central figure that has several dozen smaller contributors orbiting around him.

LoadingReadyRun has been an ensemble group since the beginning and has no clear masthead (the closest of course being Graham and Paul).

The Nostalgia Critic did something that was, at the time, somewhat novel and gained him acclaim. He and his friends used their savvy business sense to harness this into a good resource of capitol, but they mis-stepped when they decided to start voraciously absorbing anyone else who had a similar shtick. Why is this?

Because almost everyone else who does something even remotely similar to The Nostalgia Critic are bad at it. They write poor reviews that rely on gimmicks (like being angry at things) but still draw in viewers because at the end of the day we watch these types of videos not for the persona, but for what they're reviewing. You could genuinely like the Nostalgia Critic, but will you really care as much if you saw that this week's video was about some movie you've never heard of, rather than something you remember from your childhood?

So basically what you have is 30+ people suffering the Dunning-Kroger Effect: The paradoxical belief that their poor-quality work is actually good. What you get is a giant miasma of circlejerking amateurs who will never improve and will surely, as psychopez also theorizes, implode in on itself soon.

The type of people under Channel Awesome's banner cover almost the entire spectrum of Incorrect Ways to Deal With Fame (however slight): From Angry Joe who holds the deluded belief that he is "the voice of REAL gamers," to Sean Fauzs who desperately tries to avoid any sort of real-world responsibilities by begging fans constantly for financial aid, to The Spoony One whose ego has inflated so much he could have singlehandedly allowed the house from Up to float, to Linkara who can't accept his very own criticisms in the medium he chooses to express himself in, to the myriad of contributors who for one reason or other dropped off the website or were kicked off for generally being pissants (LordKaT not included). This mix of people who don't know how to work their own medium is not self-sustaining and Channel Awesome has become far too bloated to hold itself up forever.

Contrast this with LoadingReadyRun. They keep a relatively stable cast made up of personal friends, doing what they do because they find it fun and it also happens to be a pretty cool source of income. They've been at their chosen craft for what is approaching a decade and have spent the time learning and improving, unlike TGWTG which just exploded onto the scene and metastasized almost immediately. And, probably most importantly, they've kept up such a friendly and close rapport with their fans that the fans don't just fellate them and defend them against any sort of criticism. All in all, LRR is pretty much a gold-star example of the right way to provide entertainment to the internet.

LoadingReadyRun may never achieve the popularity ThatGuyWithTheGlasses holds in its zenith, but I can guarantee you that the quirky Canadian sketch-comedy group will be around long, long after TGWTG devours itself and is gone from web.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 12 May 2011, 15:05

In all honesty, it's not very fair to compare TGWTG to LRR (addressing the repliers, not the article). TGWTG is more comparable to the Escapist, considering they're are both full of many contributors instead of just one. It's alright for you to say you don't like anything at TGWTG, but they're a publisher. LRR is a producer. Publishers and producers aren't really comparable.

Anyways, I read most of the article (sorry, I'll come back to it), and I agree with most of what you said. I don't really having anything else to add at the moment, but I might later.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 12 May 2011, 15:07

True enough, but ThatGuyWithTheGlasses publishes a specific kind of content, whereas The Escapist covers a wide variety of videos, from reviews to sketches to animated shorts to the Daily Drop, etc. I think it's fair to compare them on the basis that Channel Awesome is in essence an outgrowth of The Nostalgia Critic.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 May 2011, 15:09

Nevrmore wrote:You could genuinely like the Nostalgia Critic, but will you really care as much if you saw that this week's video was about some movie you've never heard of, rather than something you remember from your childhood?

For me, I prefer to watch the movies he reviews that I haven't seen or heard of before. I see it more as "Oh yeah, I remember that movie sucking. Why do I need someone to tell me something I already know?" rather than "Oh yeah, I remember that movie sucking. Let's see why he thinks it sucks."
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 12 May 2011, 15:11

P.S. Channel Awesome is a stupid name for anything but that's not really part of the dicussion
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 May 2011, 15:13

Nevrmore wrote:True enough, but ThatGuyWithTheGlasses publishes a specific kind of content, whereas The Escapist covers a wide variety of videos, from reviews to sketches to animated shorts to the Daily Drop, etc. I think it's fair to compare them on the basis that Channel Awesome is in essence an outgrowth of The Nostalgia Critic.

Eh, I guess that's sorta true, but at the same time, not really. If you've ever seen something from EricPowerUp, then you'd know he doesn't really review much. However, I don't know if he's even still there. While I agree that TGWTG is generally a review site, there are some things that aren't, I just can't remember what they are or if they're still there.
Tycherin

Postby Tycherin » 12 May 2011, 15:18

Nevrmore wrote:You could genuinely like the Nostalgia Critic, but will you really care as much if you saw that this week's video was about some movie you've never heard of, rather than something you remember from your childhood?

Maybe this dates me a bit, but I haven't actually seen many of the movies he reviews, if any. I treat it like Unskippable or Zero Punctuation: even if I haven't played the game or seen the movie, I still watch the video and (usually) enjoy it.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 12 May 2011, 15:23

Tycherin wrote:

Maybe this dates me a bit, but I haven't actually seen many of the movies he reviews, if any. I treat it like Unskippable or Zero Punctuation: even if I haven't played the game or seen the movie, I still watch the video and (usually) enjoy it.

I'd say most people still watch the videos even if what's under review is new to them. It's just the majority (excepting Vigafre and others, I suppose) were mostly caught up by the idea of him reviewing movies/games they knew about beforehand.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 May 2011, 15:46

I used to watch Nostalgia Critic and Chick a fair bit, but got tired of it due to every video being pretty much the exact same as the next, and the quality of the video depending largely on the movie they're "reviewing". Yahtzee at least manages to keep it entertaining week after week. The rest of the stuff on the site never really managed to grab me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 12 May 2011, 16:06

I was never able to get into Nostalgia Critic, or anything else on TGWTG. No idea why, I liked the videos a friend had me watch but I never cared enough to go back and watch the videos on my own. LRR on the other hand, I saw one video and that was enough to interest me.

I guess I should chalk up the stuff on TGWTG not being my cup of tea. Or I guess it is, but it's a bitter tea and I prefer to have some sugar in mine. So I guess I'm saying LRR is a sweet tea instead of a bitter tea? I'm not totally sure where I was going with that.

Excuse me, I made myself thirsty.
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 12 May 2011, 16:12

Nevrmore wrote:
Dave-O_Boy wrote:I've gotten kind of tired of the stuff Channel Awesome does. Most of the stuff is just so overly angry, uninsightful, and amateurish. The only one I really follow is The Nostalgia Chick and since she posts all her stuff on Facebook now I don't even have to go to That Guy with the Glasses anymore.

snip

Nevrmore wrote:True enough, but ThatGuyWithTheGlasses publishes a specific kind of content, whereas The Escapist covers a wide variety of videos, from reviews to sketches to animated shorts to the Daily Drop, etc. I think it's fair to compare them on the basis that Channel Awesome is in essence an outgrowth of The Nostalgia Critic.

Bingo and uh... bingo.

Channel Awesome and The Escapist are very similar ideas. They're both pretty much the first generation of largely theme internet television networks of independent content. Your comments on Channel Awesome indicate exactly why it stopped working around 8 months ago (in my opinion) though. While The Escapist has extremely high standards (barring Jimquisition) for its content, Channel Awesome absorbed every person with a similar style as Nostalgia Critic. That sort of move makes no sense, as it would be like The Escapist taking on a bunch of reviewers who used themed drawings on a colored background. How fast would that kind of crap get old?

I think an even bigger misstep is how a lot of the creators decided to turn their review shows into some sort of bastardized narrative show in between doing reviews. If you want to bring on narrative series, then create truly narrative shows, don't fucking add stories where they don't belong. Now that sort of thing can be done correctly if your name is Harry S. Plinkett and your wives keep dying in unrelated accidents, but the constant appearance of characters played by the reviewer being done by have the fucking shows there is just painful to watch. Bad things can be funny if you're winking at them, but they stopped winking at that sort of thing long ago.

Now that was a rant. Anyway, I'll say again that LRR is ahead of their time. Eventually we're going to get to a point where the web series is just as viable as non-network television for entertainment value. Groups like LRR might not get the exposure they deserve at that point either, but it's people like them that pioneered the idea by always pushing forward.
Tycherin

Postby Tycherin » 12 May 2011, 16:18

Wolfenbarg wrote:I think an even bigger misstep is how a lot of the creators decided to turn their review shows into some sort of bastardized narrative show in between doing reviews. If you want to bring on narrative series, then create truly narrative shows, don't fucking add stories where they don't belong. Now that sort of thing can be done correctly if your name is Harry S. Plinkett and your wives keep dying in unrelated accidents, but the constant appearance of characters played by the reviewer being done by have the fucking shows there is just painful to watch. Bad things can be funny if you're winking at them, but they stopped winking at that sort of thing long ago.

This bugs me too. I didn't mind individual episodes with meta "plots" or running jokes (heck, even LRR has those) but when the overarching narrative becomes the main focus, there's a problem. I shouldn't have to watch reviews I don't want to watch just so I can understand what's going on in a particular review. For a show that is all about the plot, that kind of thing works; for shows where it's about the comedy reviews, not so much.

Return to “General Discussion”