Is Anyone else getting tired of zero punctuation?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Re: Is Anyone else getting tired of zero punctuation?

Postby Digital Dolphin » 02 Dec 2011, 15:34

I've never really been a fan of ZP. Right from the get go I found it extremely repetitive and the show has pretty much zilch re-watch value. The laughs are funny for the first few episodes, but then you realize he's making the exact same jokes again and again. For a little while it's interesting to see just how he'll apply the same set of jokes in new situations, but it doesn't take long before that too is also incredibly dull. I'd probably watch more of his videos, but I'd find myself gnawing on my own limbs just to keep myself conscious from all the boring repetition. The highlight of the series is reading the stinger card at the end of each episode, because unlike the rest of the show, that content actually is different. The only thing that could make this series worse would be if he just swapped out the name of each game each week and left the rest of the episode completely the same, like the webcomic Dinosaur Comic does... only at least Dinosaur comic is funny most of the time. If you ask me, the show should change to a point -> counter point scenario, preferably with a female co-host. That way, even if the show didn't actually improve, we could imagine the co-host being cute and wearing cat ears or something.

*disclaimer: the above rant is heavily exaggerated and should be read in Yahtzee's voice for best comedic effect*
#TeamKroze
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Dec 2011, 15:38

I get the feeling that if you're watching ZP for the "jokes" you're doing it wrong.

Yahtzee is incredibly insightful and incisive as a critic of video games. if you actually listen to what he's saying instead of the words he's using, he generates some incredibly valuable comentary on the state of the industry, game design, and the art of game making.

I'd liken him to Film Crit Hulk, actually. The delivery is a gimmick, but underlying it is razor sharp and extremely interesting analysis, and you either see what lies underneath the presentation, or you get tired of the schtick and move on.

-m

I am not angry at you.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Dec 2011, 15:44

I remember when Yahtzee had two videos on the sight, back then he was so hilarious, and he stayed so for awhile. Though there was a brief period where he stopped being particularly funny which looking back now was his first attempts to be insightful rather than just tearing things apart for the hilarity. Nowdays what Matt says is true, he is a smart insightful man with a delivery system that appeals to the masses.
I do miss the days where I would memorize what time his videos would go up so I could laugh my ass off, but everything changes, and Yahtzee is still funny. Just now he is funny in a smarter way.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Dec 2011, 16:30

@the_lone_bard: When did he have two videos?

I find myself rewatching his videos actually, I do feel they have replay value. But that's me.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Dec 2011, 17:35

Back in 07, i think it was 07... 07 or 08. I first found him the day before his Bioshock video was uploaded, that was so long ago... Back then the only other videos I can remember being around were De-Rez and Drawn by Pain. Neither of which got any new videos that I can remember while I was around.

Then unskipable appeared out of nowhere, and LRR followed it, and DoomsDay Arcade, and the rest is history.

Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 02 Dec 2011, 17:50

I could never get into ZP. Every now and then when there is a game I've played I take a look at his review for it, but other than that it's way too hard to follow him. I know speaking fast is his shtick but that doesn't make it easy on you when it's not your first language.
I usually watch his videos more than once for that reason, too, so that I can understand better what he said.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Dec 2011, 18:07

It's just a matter of persistence really. Like with someone with a thick accent, or a dissabillity, the more you hear it the more you just get used to it.

Kajamakuji
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Kajamakuji » 02 Dec 2011, 20:00

Zero punctuation isn't really a review in the traditional sense insofar as the format is now he finds a games flaws and nitpicks for entertainment. With some reading between the lines its not too hard to get a general feel for whats being reviewed. As for repetition maybe if the game companies weren't making the same errors over and over...
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 03 Dec 2011, 11:44

Kajamakuji wrote:Zero punctuation isn't really a review in the traditional sense

He gots out of his way to label himself as a critic. He knows that by the time his videos go up everyone has played the game. On the whole I love ZP but there are some videos better than others obviously but I still watch every week
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 03 Dec 2011, 11:54

I think Yatzhee is incredibly insightful when it comes to games. If you ever watched his Game Damage pilot, you'll realise that when he's not trying to fit everything into the jokey style of ZP he really knows his onions.

That being said ZP still entertains me even if some of the jokes are getting repetitive now, and I do find his opinions worthwhile even if you have to read between the lines to find them sometimes.

The same goes for Jim Sterling really, his knowledge of the game industry is brilliant, but his delivery can be grating at times.

What I would love to see one day is Yatzhee, Jim Sterling and the Extra Credits guys sit down and discuss a game together.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 13:09

Keab42 wrote:I think Yatzhee is incredibly insightful when it comes to games. If you ever watched his Game Damage pilot, you'll realise that when he's not trying to fit everything into the jokey style of ZP he really knows his onions.

That being said ZP still entertains me even if some of the jokes are getting repetitive now, and I do find his opinions worthwhile even if you have to read between the lines to find them sometimes.

The same goes for Jim Sterling really, his knowledge of the game industry is brilliant, but his delivery can be grating at times.

What I would love to see one day is Yatzhee, Jim Sterling and the Extra Credits guys sit down and discuss a game together.

The only ones who will be talking sense would be Yahtzee and the Extra Credits guys. Jim Sterling would be too busy fanwanking all over himself.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Dec 2011, 16:41

Keab42 wrote:I think Yatzhee is incredibly insightful when it comes to games. If you ever watched his Game Damage pilot, you'll realise that when he's not trying to fit everything into the jokey style of ZP he really knows his onions.

I loved the Game Damage pilot and I've always been sad that nothing ever came from that.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 16:45

Yahtzee and Yug have been pretty busy with Mana Bar happenings, with the Melbourne one only opening up a few months back. Then Yug and Matt (the other guy from Game Damage) are also running the Australian Gamer site.

When it comes to TV shows about games in Australia, most people turn to ABC2's Good Game with Bajo & Hex. Both of which are Mana Bar "regulars" and friends with Yug, etc.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 04 Dec 2011, 23:25

Geoff_B wrote:

I loved the Game Damage pilot and I've always been sad that nothing ever came from that.

Speaking of the Game Damage pilot, I was at the convention they got all the cosplay footage from. I saw it all getting shot and wondered what happened to it until I found the pilot.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 05 Dec 2011, 08:58

MattAn wrote:

The only ones who will be talking sense would be Yahtzee and the Extra Credits guys. Jim Sterling would be too busy fanwanking all over himself.

Actually, I found this Extra Consideration segment quite insightful, back when they actually did the interesting crossover discussion, although that one was Jim Sterling, James Portnow and MovieBob, Sterling taking the place of Yahtzee in that discussion.

Its just a shame we likely won't see any more of these!
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 05 Dec 2011, 09:24

I found his written work varying - but it can be very good, like the column about the realistic shooters, because that's pretty much what I think.

I enjoy ZP. It's entertaining and since I don't own a console most games aren't of any interest to me anyway, so if his criticisms are valid or not isn't that important to me.

Graham wrote:@the_lone_bard: When did he have two videos?

I find myself rewatching his videos actually, I do feel they have replay value. But that's me.

Agreed.
Last edited by Lisra on 05 Dec 2011, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Dec 2011, 09:31

"It can be very good...because that's pretty much what I think."

That pretty much points to the problem of having to write for this demo.

Graphic.
Ororon
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ororon » 05 Dec 2011, 09:55

Personally I haven't really kept up with ZP but for the occasional title that grabs my attention, ie Skyrim, however I watch Jimquisition every week....which may be because thats the same day that the new LRR and Unskippable come out....but I use to be meh about Jim Sterling and now after listening to him he's really grown on me whereas Yahtzee has, lost his hype? I guess, not really sure how to explain why I've lost interest.
I came, I saw, I lol'd
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 05 Dec 2011, 11:00

Matt wrote:I get the feeling that if you're watching ZP for the "jokes" you're doing it wrong.

Yahtzee is incredibly insightful and incisive as a critic of video games. if you actually listen to what he's saying instead of the words he's using, he generates some incredibly valuable comentary on the state of the industry, game design, and the art of game making.

Well, you should watch ZP for the combination of humour and insight, rather than one or the other. It's interesting, though; one thing I've noticed among the comments threads for Shamus Young's Spoiler Warning series is that there are large numbers of people who wish either that the series was entirely funny or that it was entirely technical. I suppose there are also plenty of people like me who are entertained by the combination of the two, but it seems there's a sizeable chunk of the audience who watch this type of show but who don't like mixing their comedy with their analysis.
Lisra

Postby Lisra » 05 Dec 2011, 15:02

metcarfre wrote:"It can be very good...because that's pretty much what I think."

That pretty much points to the problem of having to write for this demo.

Graphic.

Nah, that's just how media consumption works. People want to read something they agree with. Journalists have known that for decades.
I'm not a girl. (:
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Dec 2011, 15:19

Yes, but the extent to which groupthink dominates gaming media, particularly opinion writing, is in my mind much greater than in other media (FOX notwithstanding).
Lisra

Postby Lisra » 06 Dec 2011, 00:29

The colum in question was this one.

Now, please explain to me why agreeing with him is a problem. It's the first time I ever have here.

Leaping from that to right-wing news groupthink ("it is true because we confirmed it amongst ourselves") is not just a stretch, but doesn't really work? Since opinion and reporting false news are two very different things.. at least they should be.
I'm not a girl. (:
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 06 Dec 2011, 09:43

Well, to paraphrase your statement, you said you enjoyed it because you agreed with it. Would you have enjoyed it or another article had it presented an opinion you disagreed with, or introduced to a side of an issue you hadn't thought of?

That's what I mean. Sometimes it seems as though, on the Internets, as soon as a few celebrities (WilW) tweet their opinion of something, or a rapid consensus is formed on an issue, that is the only opinion that is valid or valued. And I have a problem with that.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 06 Dec 2011, 11:07

That's a...that's an awful example.

And I, for one, found that article mediocre. True-ish (sometimes I want to kill a child, dammit! There are like 6 children in a village, not ALL of them need to survive for your turn about thing yahtzee), but not really enjoyable OR profound.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lisra

Postby Lisra » 06 Dec 2011, 12:58

had it presented an opinion you disagreed with

No. It would make me go "that's not so", or more generally "that's fucking stupid", because I like to think in expletives. Of course it may still be well written, but would still be, in my eyes, wrong. And that's sorta more important than "good".

It is, however, entirely possible for an article to agree with me, and be terrible.

or introduced to a side of an issue you hadn't thought of?

Likely. Food for thought is always welcome.

Sometimes it seems as though, on the Internets, as soon as a few celebrities (WilW) tweet their opinion of something, or a rapid consensus is formed on an issue, that is the only opinion that is valid or valued. And I have a problem with that.

I guess I'm out of touch, because I don't know about that. It sounds annoying though.
But hey, thousands of people believe what the Daily Mail writes. What can you do.

sometimes I want to kill a child, dammit!

That's what he meant ;)

The reason for me liking it are several cases where I had to sit back and say "what the fuck, people?" while browsing through Oblivion and Fallout3 mods. Because, guys. To quote Kryten: I mean.. why?
I'm not a girl. (:

Return to “General Discussion”