DAE enjoy Internet Detective work?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Stinkychops
First Video: Some unskippable thing. It was all right

Re: DAE enjoy Internet Detective work?

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 01:20

Vanguard wrote:So... it's Encyclopedia Dramatica, but aimed directly at content makers on the internet?

My, somebody's butthurt that their internet blog hasn't gotten more then two views, aren't they?

Ignoring your misunderstanding of who contributes to the DHI wiki:

Butthurt? Isn't that about people being raped? You're making a joke about homosexual rape?

But... this is a travesty!

Theremin, why haven't you jumped on him yet? You're obviously a big tough internet guy.
I'm totally not just playing up this phrase which isn't intended to offend homosexuals or rape victims.

(Yes Vanguard [Same one from The Escapist?] I'm not actually criticising you, I'm trying to make a broader point of people being selectively offended)
I'm kind of a big deal.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 19 Jun 2011, 01:26

Stinkychops wrote:verb /ˈslandər/ 
Make false and damaging statements about (someone)
False? Hardly.

Criticism is not slander.

Go and read the posts I am referring to before you make presumptuous accusations.

Actually
NecroVale wrote:That being said, your first point to bring up was to slander the LRR forums and those on them.

was applied as a header to the comment below it. Probably a poor choice on my part.

Stinkychops wrote:As for your suggestions that the article in some way mimics Zero Punctuation...
I'll scratch that up to you just generally not having much exposure to critics. The similarities between ZP and the article are this:
It's highly negative. It offers criticism. It isn't intended to be completely factual. If you're seriously attributing these things to ZP then I can see why you're having such a hard time grasping the concept of critical thought.

I never said mimics. I said that it struck a certain similar sounding chord. The similarities you listed were exactly what I was referencing.

Stinkychops wrote:Oh sorry, I didn't realise that it was pretentious to expect not to be called a "c*nt". I'm obviously being an unreasonable troll.

Also, did you just make a homophobic joke? What was that supposed to be?

I'm telling you flat out. If he behaved that like, or wrote DHI wiki articles in such a manner they would not be accepted. The point of me saying that is to imply that perhaps you're not as perfect as you think.

You're on the internet, expecting not to be referred to in a derogatory manner at least once is, I believe, the definition of stupidity.

Homophobic? No. If it needs to be spelled out, then I made a (apparently cleverly concealed) suggestion that your head may be stuck up your own ass, and nothing anyone says will have any effect on you.

Good thing I don't think I'm perfect then, isn't it?

Stinkychops wrote:I support the article, not the term. I don't know whether you've read the article or understand the terms origins at all, but there's nothing homophobic there. If that singular word is the only thing you guys can make an issue out of then I have more reasons to hate my work than you guys.

I'm not making an issue out of the word itself. I questioned whether or not your use of the word, despite stating your lack of approval of it, was a form of hypocrisy.

Stinkychops wrote:Not at all. Allow me to help you again.
con·tempt
The feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn

As I already stated, I didn't consider his posts worth responding to in detail. That's contempt by definition.

I just observed nothing in his posts worthy of those feelings.

Stinkychops wrote:Ah, so you'll assume I'm a troll despite all evidence to the contrary. Brilliant thinking.

I was not assuming anything. I simply stated a fact.

Stinkychops wrote:So what gives LRR the right to criticise in ENN, Unskippable and Checkpoint? What gives journalists the right to review? Sports commentators the right to speak? You the right to criticise my article without writing one yourself?

It's pretty obvious that you're not being logical here. Just because I have no interest in spending 5 years making sketch videos doesn't mean I have nothing of merit to say on the subject.

You've got a misunderstanding of the word objective. You do not gain objectivity on a subject by having a stake in it. Many would say to the contrary. You're implying that by being a fan of LRR that your opinion is more objective than mine, a laughable notion.

Criticism is not a right. I have no more right to criticize than you. I just believe that you cannot criticize something accurately merely as an outside observer. There are factors and inner workings of which you would have no knowledge. That is unfair in favor of opposition. On the other hand, to become immersed and personally involved with something is to tilt the scales in the opposite direction. It is something that must be delved into like any form of science. With repeated and controlled experimentation.

I also do not claim that my opinion is more objective than yours.

Stinkychops wrote:Oh no, he said that I came here and started insulting members of the forum. When in fact I hadn't done that at all. I wasn't talking about the article, which is insulting to Kathleen and the one that is insulting to LRR. That's a completely different topic.

I'm more than willing to read criticism of my article, and if I, or any other wiki editor agrees with you they will (if they're not too lazy) fix it.

You seemed to imply that your forum had better standard than that of LRR. Many would see that as an insult.

Stinkychops wrote:Also, not to be excessively insulting, but what is it with you and the letter 'z'? CriticiZe? DemoniZe? VictimiZe? Sorry, it has just been bugging me.

Actually I spell criticise and victimise without the letter z. Apparently you didn't look at my post too hard. So I don't know how something can bug you when it isn't there.
[/quote]

You spelling them without the letter 'z' is what has been bugging me as they are incorrect without it.
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 19 Jun 2011, 01:31

Unless you speak proper english, necrovale. Like the language spoken by the English, instead of you damn colonials :P
Keelah Se'lai
NecroVale

Postby NecroVale » 19 Jun 2011, 01:34

Oh, really? If that's true then I apologize... I mean apologise.

You crazy Brits and not enforcing your language. :P

Stinkychops

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 02:00

NecroVale wrote:
False? Hardly.

Criticism is not slander.

Go and read the posts I am referring to before you make presumptuous accusations.

Actually
NecroVale wrote:That being said, your first point to bring up was to slander the LRR forums and those on them.

was applied as a header to the comment below it. Probably a poor choice on my part.

I'm well aware of what you were trying to say, you haven't responded to what I'm saying.
Stinkychops wrote:As for your suggestions that the article in some way mimics Zero Punctuation...
I'll scratch that up to you just generally not having much exposure to critics. The similarities between ZP and the article are this:
It's highly negative. It offers criticism. It isn't intended to be completely factual. If you're seriously attributing these things to ZP then I can see why you're having such a hard time grasping the concept of critical thought.

I never said mimics. I said that it struck a certain similar sounding chord. The similarities you listed were exactly what I was referencing.

Well then the similarities are minor and unimportant. Unless you were implying that we were in some fashion ripping off Zero Punctuation I fail to see why you brought this up at all.
Stinkychops wrote:Oh sorry, I didn't realise that it was pretentious to expect not to be called a "c*nt". I'm obviously being an unreasonable troll.

Also, did you just make a homophobic joke? What was that supposed to be?

I'm telling you flat out. If he behaved that like, or wrote DHI wiki articles in such a manner they would not be accepted. The point of me saying that is to imply that perhaps you're not as perfect as you think.

You're on the internet, expecting not to be referred to in a derogatory manner at least once is, I believe, the definition of stupidity.

And yet you guys are telling me I shouldn't criticise Kathleen, that I'm being too mean. You can't have it both ways.

I take it then that you're unwilling to condemn his behaviour simply because this is an "Us vs Them" situation for you. Why haven't you criticised him, implied he is a troll etc etc. Your bias is showing.
Homophobic? No. If it needs to be spelled out, then I made a (apparently cleverly concealed) suggestion that your head may be stuck up your own ass, and nothing anyone says will have any effect on you.

Your suggestion was without reason. I think you're confusing clever with poorly expressed. Or should I start rambling on incoherently and label myself a genius? Being deliberately obtuse is still being obtuse.
Good thing I don't think I'm perfect then, isn't it?

Apparently not. You have all the symptoms without the disease.
Stinkychops wrote:I support the article, not the term. I don't know whether you've read the article or understand the terms origins at all, but there's nothing homophobic there. If that singular word is the only thing you guys can make an issue out of then I have more reasons to hate my work than you guys.

I'm not making an issue out of the word itself. I questioned whether or not your use of the word, despite stating your lack of approval of it, was a form of hypocrisy.

I already demonstrated that it was not a form of hypocrisy. I approve of the article and not the phrase. You can keep repeating your loaded question if you like, it's been addressed.
Stinkychops wrote:Not at all. Allow me to help you again.
con·tempt
The feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn

As I already stated, I didn't consider his posts worth responding to in detail. That's contempt by definition.

I just observed nothing in his posts worthy of those feelings.

Then I'll question your cognitive capacities.
Stinkychops wrote:Ah, so you'll assume I'm a troll despite all evidence to the contrary. Brilliant thinking.

I was not assuming anything. I simply stated a fact.

And why did you state that fact?... pretty obviously to insinuate I'm a troll. Don't play such childish word games. Your intention was clear.
Stinkychops wrote:So what gives LRR the right to criticise in ENN, Unskippable and Checkpoint? What gives journalists the right to review? Sports commentators the right to speak? You the right to criticise my article without writing one yourself?

It's pretty obvious that you're not being logical here. Just because I have no interest in spending 5 years making sketch videos doesn't mean I have nothing of merit to say on the subject.

You've got a misunderstanding of the word objective. You do not gain objectivity on a subject by having a stake in it. Many would say to the contrary. You're implying that by being a fan of LRR that your opinion is more objective than mine, a laughable notion.

Criticism is not a right. I have no more right to criticize than you. I just believe that you cannot criticize something accurately merely as an outside observer.

Science would disagree with you.
There are factors and inner workings of which you would have no knowledge.

If you can't demonstrate them then you can;t claim they exist and expect me to take you seriously.

What are these vague inner workings, how will it effect my article at all?

It is something that must be delved into like any form of science. With repeated and controlled experimentation.

Except of course theoretical science.
I also do not claim that my opinion is more objective than yours.

Then I fail to see why you're talking about the objectiveness of opinions at all. You seem to be throwing out as many things as possible and hoping something sticks.
Stinkychops wrote:Oh no, he said that I came here and started insulting members of the forum. When in fact I hadn't done that at all. I wasn't talking about the article, which is insulting to Kathleen and the one that is insulting to LRR. That's a completely different topic.

I'm more than willing to read criticism of my article, and if I, or any other wiki editor agrees with you they will (if they're not too lazy) fix it.

You seemed to imply that your forum had better standard than that of LRR. Many would see that as an insult.

That is a strawman. It has nothing to do with the bit of my post you quoted.

There will be good posters here, the same as anywhere else. All I'm suggesting is that your forum is no better than ours. In some ways we will be better (ie not seriously calling other forum-goers cunts) in some ways we will be worse.
Stinkychops wrote:Actually I spell criticise and victimise without the letter z. Apparently you didn't look at my post too hard. So I don't know how something can bug you when it isn't there.

You spelling them without the letter 'z' is what has been bugging me as they are incorrect without it.
[/quote]
LOL!
I'm kind of a big deal.
NecroVale

Postby NecroVale » 19 Jun 2011, 03:42

Stinkychops wrote:I'm well aware of what you were trying to say, you haven't responded to what I'm saying.

Criticism is not slander. I agree. There's not much else to say.

I've read the posts in question, and I may not agree, but I am a curious person. Them I am able to observe in this setting anytime so I may as well take advantage of you while I have you. :)

Stinkychops wrote:Well then the similarities are minor and unimportant. Unless you were implying that we were in some fashion ripping off Zero Punctuation I fail to see why you brought this up at all.

I was musing, comparing, and contrasting. As far as I'm aware I am allowed to do so. If you want you can consider it a form of criticism.

Stinkychops wrote:And yet you guys are telling me I shouldn't criticise Kathleen, that I'm being too mean. You can't have it both ways.

I take it then that you're unwilling to condemn his behaviour simply because this is an "Us vs Them" situation for you. Why haven't you criticised him, implied he is a troll etc etc. Your bias is showing.

Fair point. However, it seems that you wish people to believe that you are reasonable so I'm attempting debate. To be fair I don't believe that I have said "Don't criticize Kathleen." I have questioned your method/tactics.

To be perfectly honest, while I do not like the attitude that it was written in I do agree with some of the points you brought up in your article, and I can't help but smirk a little at the last line.

I have not implied he is a troll because I have an idea of his intentions. I could be wrong, but I am more sure of him than of you. I know nothing of you other than what you have said in this thread as well as your article. You were a blank slate, but you've been working rapidly to rectify that.

Stinkychops wrote:Your suggestion was without reason. I think you're confusing clever with poorly expressed. Or should I start rambling on incoherently and label myself a genius? Being deliberately obtuse is still being obtuse.

I think your sarcasm detector was out of sync. I'd have it checked.

Maybe you're nicer in person, but so far you come off as pretentious at the least.

Stinkychops wrote:Apparently not. You have all the symptoms without the disease.

Apparently so Mr. Pot.

Stinkychops wrote:I already demonstrated that it was not a form of hypocrisy. I approve of the article and not the phrase. You can keep repeating your loaded question if you like, it's been addressed.

Not satisfactorily. You are still saying "I don't approve of the President or his policies, but I'm going to vote for him anyway."

Stinkychops wrote:Then I'll question your cognitive capacities.

This would be that whole "pretentious" thing again.

Stinkychops wrote:And why did you state that fact?... pretty obviously to insinuate I'm a troll. Don't play such childish word games. Your intention was clear.

I wasn't playing. My intentions were as I stated them. I was attempting to inform on the chance that you did not realize that the word "troll" could encompass a wide variety of tactics and behaviors.

Stinkychops wrote:If you can't demonstrate them then you can;t claim they exist and expect me to take you seriously.

What are these vague inner workings, how will it effect my article at all?

Ok. It would be like the difference in critiquing an unsuccessful sports play as an observer as opposed to playing in the game and feeling the emotions, chemical reactions, and stress of the situation. It may not change anything specific about your article, but it may give you another perspective from which to work from.

Stinkychops wrote:Then I fail to see why you're talking about the objectiveness of opinions at all. You seem to be throwing out as many things as possible and hoping something sticks.

Because that's what this whole thing has been about. Varying opinions. You've said that you had no interest in making sketch comedy. To me that says you're biased against the idea already and would show itself in your work.

Stinkychops wrote:That is a strawman. It has nothing to do with the bit of my post you quoted.

There will be good posters here, the same as anywhere else. All I'm suggesting is that your forum is no better than ours. In some ways we will be better (ie not seriously calling other forum-goers cunts) in some ways we will be worse.

I was disagreeing with you saying that you had not come here and insulted the forum members. You did do that.

Stinkychops wrote:Firstly I would like to point out that our wiki and forums do have standards and that people behaving in the manner that Theremin chooses to conduct himself would not be allowed to participate.

To me, that seems to say that LRR's standards are lacking and that the social attitude on your forum will be better than they are here.

Stinkychops wrote:LOL!

Again, I apologize for the 'z/s' thing.

Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 19 Jun 2011, 04:57

con·tempt

troll 1 (trəʊl)

— vb
1. angling
a. to draw (a baited line, etc) through the water, often from a boat
b. to fish (a stretch of water) by trolling
c. to fish (for) by trolling
2. to roll or cause to roll
3. archaic to sing (a refrain, chorus, etc) or (of a refrain, etc) to be sung in a loud hearty voice
4. informal ( Brit ) ( intr ) to walk or stroll
5. homosexual slang ( intr ) to stroll around looking for sexual partners; cruise
6. slang ( intr ) computing to post deliberately inflammatory articles on an internet discussion board

— n
7. the act or an instance of trolling
8. angling a bait or lure used in trolling, such as a spinner
9. slang computing a person who submits deliberately inflammatory articles to an internet discussion

See, you've come to the Loading Ready Run forum not to defend your self, you've come to basically advertise your hate-filled and abusive "website". I thought the Collins English Dictionary definition of the word Troll would help you, as you seem to like to explain what words mean. (Granted, I doubt you're an angler or partake in gay-crusing, but I like to be thorough with definitions. Before anyone comments, the Scandanavian monster was under a different definition.)

So, by the definition of the Collins English Dictionary, you have come to these fora to troll. It doesn't matter if you've being eloquent, you are trolling. Rabidtictac is entering into a discussion, exchanging dialogue and ideas. You, however, are taking a stance of "I'm right, you're all wrong and here's why," which, as Theremin so correctly pointed out, is a very cuntish thing to do.

But, to put it in a vernacular that you will probably be more familiar with;

tl;dr, fuck off.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Stinkychops

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 05:17

Drinnik wrote:

con·tempt

troll 1 (trəʊl)

— vb
1. angling
a. to draw (a baited line, etc) through the water, often from a boat
b. to fish (a stretch of water) by trolling
c. to fish (for) by trolling
2. to roll or cause to roll
3. archaic to sing (a refrain, chorus, etc) or (of a refrain, etc) to be sung in a loud hearty voice
4. informal ( Brit ) ( intr ) to walk or stroll
5. homosexual slang ( intr ) to stroll around looking for sexual partners; cruise
6. slang ( intr ) computing to post deliberately inflammatory articles on an internet discussion board

— n
7. the act or an instance of trolling
8. angling a bait or lure used in trolling, such as a spinner
9. slang computing a person who submits deliberately inflammatory articles to an internet discussion

See, you've come to the Loading Ready Run forum not to defend your self, you've come to basically advertise your hate-filled and abusive "website". I thought the Collins English Dictionary definition of the word Troll would help you, as you seem to like to explain what words mean. (Granted, I doubt you're an angler or partake in gay-crusing, but I like to be thorough with definitions. Before anyone comments, the Scandanavian monster was under a different definition.)

So, by the definition of the Collins English Dictionary, you have come to these fora to troll. It doesn't matter if you've being eloquent, you are trolling. Rabidtictac is entering into a discussion, exchanging dialogue and ideas. You, however, are taking a stance of "I'm right, you're all wrong and here's why," which, as Theremin so correctly pointed out, is a very cuntish thing to do.

But, to put it in a vernacular that you will probably be more familiar with;

tl;dr, fuck off.

Sorry bro, didn't realise you were in charge of who gets to come and go here.

I also didn't realise that I was the one who posted the article.

Wait. What's that? I haven't posted a single link, and all I've done is respond to peoples criticism/insults? I also just heard that you have no authority here to tell me what to do. Oh, okay. Looks like you're wrong.

I'll accept that I haven't been as friendly as Rabidtictac, my intention isn't to hurt anyone's feelings its to get my sentiments across accurately and bluntly. I'm not here to dress up my opinions and make friends, I'm here to discuss the article.

So far nothing besides the "moneyfag" term and suggesting the article is "cuntish" have been put forth. Should I be intimidated by your vitriolic vernacular or something?

What has your friend Theremin, or you even, contributed to this discussion? Significantly less than me that's for sure.
NecroVale wrote:Maybe you're nicer in person, but so far you come off as pretentious at the least.

I was disagreeing with you saying that you had not come here and insulted the forum members. You did do that.
At the time I'd said that I hadn't insulted anyone. I'll not pretend that I haven't been a douche, but the manner in which I present my arguments don't change their content.

To be honest I'm on a short fuse because I've had a few of these discussions before and I usually spend the entire time defending myself on personal grounds as people parroted each other. I'm sorry about being rude to you. You seem like a reasonable guy.
Last edited by Stinkychops on 19 Jun 2011, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
I'm kind of a big deal.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 19 Jun 2011, 05:23

1) Butthurt contains none of the vitrol of "moneyfag." In much of my life, the largest insult you could lay on someone was the insinuation they were gay, either with the word "queer," or, even more powerfully, "f-a-g" which is censored on this forums for such a reason.

2) You want some parts of your article that sound like an attack (either as insult or slander?)

The Wiki wrote:Kathleen De Vere (Lady_Kathleen, The Token Girl)

...Do I need to explain how this is sexist? Aside from the fact it's blatantly false (Tally, for example, maintains a strong presence with the LRR crew, and in their history, they have had plenty of other female cast members), it's demeaning to Kathleen. It implies she exists for no reason other than to be "the female" and doesn't contribute anything of her own to the group.

You literally used "female" as an insult. Congratulations.

The Wiki wrote:works for The Escapist

Works with. She works for Loadingreadyrun, and I believe has a day job. Loadingreadyrun works with the Escapist to create (hopefully) entertaining videos. She also works with Penny Arcade for a similar goal.

The Wiki wrote:When not acting in patronizing, exacerbating performances she tries her hand at moneyfaggery and censorship.

I'm going to ignore your description of her performance, because that's your business.

However, "Moneyfaggery" is defined, according to your wiki as
The Wiki wrote:A moneyfag is a Content Creator who makes videos to profit financially and to not entertain.

This, again, is blatantly false. Loadingreadyrun has been making videos for 7 years. Only the last 2 has anyone been able to make money off it at any level beyond "paying for LRR." Even if Kathleen was one of this small group, which I don't believe she is, Loadingreadyrun has not changed it's style of content.

So either: they are now making videos to make money AND entertain (from previously only making to entertain), or they have always been making videos to NEVER entertain.

And if you were making videos to not entertain, and weren't making money, would you continue for 5 years?

Furthermore, before they started making money, you wouldn't have made such a claim. You might have, and been welcome to have, said they "weren't entertaining," but never would have said "they were made with the intention to not entertain." Unless it was a Borington video, in which case, yes, those weren't meant to be entertaining.

Next we have your case on "censorship."

The Wiki wrote:Censorship is an attempt to conceal information, art, entertainment or opinions.

Well, you've said yourself that Theremin wouldn't be welcomed on your forums, so that's censorship. However, he's welcome here, as are you. Who is a moderator here? Kathleen you say? I am amazed at her lack of censoring.

Furthermore, you cite as a reason for her censorship specifically her asking people to not use ad blockers. That's not concealing information, art, entertainment (or attempted entertainment) or opinions.

That's asking that you allow your content creators to continue existing, so they can put out more information, art, entertainment, or opinions.

If, however, you wanted to cite that as "moneyfaggery" (despite the fact that ads don't make enough money to pay for any more than possibly breaking even on hosting), then perhaps I might agree with you. But in the end, it's more slander and lies. It should be noted your wiki has ad space, as does the main page.

The bulk of the History section has either been previous addressed, or could possibly be seen as funny by some, and is not so blatant.

The Wiki wrote:According to Kathleen, their work on these low quality shows are of the same value to society as life-saving doctors.

That is not what she said. She said "Doctors get paid, so should we." Using the term "same value" implies that that she should be paid as much as a life-saving doctor, which I think is a silly thing to put into her mouth.

Also, for the sake of accuracy, she's from New Zealand, not Canada.
Last edited by theDreamer on 19 Jun 2011, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 19 Jun 2011, 05:23

I've never understood what it is about being unpleasant that's so funny/amusing. I mean pure, unadulterated bile here, not The Young Ones slapstick.

What purpose does being confrontational with everyone who speaks to you serve? Why must criticism always be presented unpleasantly? Is it really so impossible to mix it with politeness (answer; no. See Neil Gaiman)?

Since when has simple rebuttal been sufficient to constitute cogent debate? Why is it so necessary to prove oneself "right", instead of letting differences in opinion lie? Since when has strident presentation of opinion been indistinguishable from the opposite of lies (implied; truth)?

Stinkychops, you also fail to take into account the fact that we're all fond of Theremin to varying degrees here, and therefore are willing to provide him some leeway. That's just how he is sometimes, and we like him for or despite it. You, on the other hand, are a stranger. One who, furthermore, is a professed and demonstrable critic (or perhaps put more simply enemy) of LRR. Is it not natural, therefore, that we would cut him more slack? Is he wrong in asserting that we can gain nothing from attempting debate with you?

Now sure, he's insulted you and called you names, but one of the things we learn in playgrounds and schools is that one should rise above such petty insults and be and speak better than that. So far you have only reciprocated, and it hurts your credibility and throws your emotional maturity into doubt. Please, prove me wrong.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 19 Jun 2011, 05:31

I'm so glad to see that this conversation has stayed civil while I've been off doing other things. :roll:

Real quick:

Stinkychops wrote:-snip-

(Yes Vanguard [Same one from The Escapist?] I'm not actually criticising you, I'm trying to make a broader point of people being selectively offended)

• I know you're not, and for what it's worth that particular comment was written before rabidtictac came in and started elaborating. Consider it withdrawn.
  • Possibly. I know there are a lot of guys with the name "Vanguard" in one form or another over there, but if you saw someone with the same avatar I'm using here, it was me.

Right, I have things to go do this morning, so I'll decide if this conversation is still worth being a part of when I get back. Try not to kill each other while I'm gone.
Last edited by Vanguard on 19 Jun 2011, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Stinkychops

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 05:57

theDreamer wrote:1) Butthurt contains none of the vitrol of "moneyfag." In much of my life, the largest insult you could lay on someone was the insinuation they were gay, either with the word "queer," or, even more powerfully, "f-a-g" which is censored on this forums for such a reason.

I guess I've not argued very clearly. I'm not claiming that the article isn;t insulting. It definitely is. The term 'moneyfag' is intended to be insulting, without being homophobic.
2) You want some parts of your article that sound like an attack (either as insult or slander?)

The Wiki wrote:Kathleen De Vere (Lady_Kathleen, The Token Girl)

...Do I need to explain how this is sexist? Aside from the fact it's blatantly false (Tally, for example, maintains a strong presence with the LRR crew, and in their history, they have had plenty of other female cast members), it's demeaning to Kathleen. It implies she exists for no reason other than to be "the female" and doesn't contribute anything of her own to the group.

You literally used "female" as an insult. Congratulations.

No I didn't.

To call someone the 'token x' is commentary on the medium/genre/society/culture they're in. It's not sexist at all. It is insulting for a reason you're not stating, which is that it implies she might not have been the most qualified for the job.

The reason I used it, which seems pretty straight forward to me, is that videogame journalism/shows are tipped towards the male side. It's basically a really obvious joke.
The Wiki wrote:works for The Escapist

Works with. She works for Loadingreadyrun, and I believe has a day job. Loadingreadyrun works with the Escapist to create (hopefully) entertaining videos. She also works with Penny Arcade for a similar goal.

The Wiki wrote:When not acting in patronizing, exacerbating performances she tries her hand at moneyfaggery and censorship.

I'm going to ignore your description of her performance, because that's your business.

However, "Moneyfaggery" is defined, according to your wiki as
The Wiki wrote:A moneyfag is a Content Creator who makes videos to profit financially and to not entertain.

This, again, is blatantly false. Loadingreadyrun has been making videos for 7 years. Only the last 2 has anyone been able to make money off it at any level beyond "paying for LRR." Even if Kathleen was one of this small group, which I don't believe she is, Loadingreadyrun has not changed it's style of content.

So either: they are now making videos to make money AND entertain (from previously only making to entertain), or they have always been making videos to NEVER entertain.

And if you were making videos to not entertain, and weren't making money, would you continue for 5 years?

I would say that perhaps the LRR skit show has stayed the same in quality, however DailyDrop - Unskippable and ENN are all new shows. Thats where your argument falls down. The "moneyfaggery" was linked to, where Kathleen goes on and on about money and how it becomes obvious that it isn't compensation, but profit which they seek. Now thats fine and if you like their videos go enjoy yourself, its still moneyfaggery.

So no, I don't think you're displaying the whole story.
Furthermore, before they started making money, you wouldn't have made such a claim. You might have, and been welcome to have, said they "weren't entertaining," but never would have said "they were made with the intention to not entertain." Unless it was a Borington video, in which case, yes, those weren't meant to be entertaining.

To be honest that definition of money faggery is new. It wasn;t up when I linked to the article and I disagree with it. Daily Drop is moneyfaggery, sure its designed to an extent to entertain, but its still moneyfaggery. So I'll jump on the wiki and sort that definition out.
Next we have your case on "censorship."

The Wiki wrote:Censorship is an attempt to conceal information, art, entertainment or opinions.

Well, you've said yourself that Theremin wouldn't be welcomed on your forums, so that's censorship. However, he's welcome here, as are you. Who is a moderator here? Kathleen you say? I am amazed at her lack of censoring.

I'm not. I hardly think the LRR crew would want to ban a long time member for swearing at someone who rudely critiqued them. (well to an extent I actually have a higher opinion of the LRR crew)
Furthermore, you cite as a reason for her censorship specifically her asking people to not use ad blockers. That's not concealing information, art, entertainment (or attempted entertainment) or opinions.

Actually that thread had a lot of people getting banned, and she was asking people not to talk about ad blockers. That's the Escapists official policy (discussion of adblock will net punishment). So they are, in fact, censoring people. Look in the thread.

If, however, you wanted to cite that as "moneyfaggery" (despite the fact that ads don't make enough money to pay for any more than possibly breaking even on hosting), then perhaps I might agree with you. But in the end, it's more slander and lies. It should be noted your wiki has ad space, as does the main page.

Go call monty a moneyfag and see if he cares. His ads are minimal and non-intrusive in my opinion. But he already receives a lot of flack from us over everything. They're not MY ads, I get nothing from them. If someone chooses to block those ads we won't ban them. Thats censorship and moneyfaggory.
The bulk of the History section has either been previous addressed, or could possibly be seen as funny by some, and is not so blatant.

wicked
The Wiki wrote:According to Kathleen, their work on these low quality shows are of the same value to society as life-saving doctors.

That is not what she said. She said "Doctors get paid, so should we." Using the term "same value" implies that that she should be paid as much as a life-saving doctor, which I think is a silly thing to put into her mouth.

Also, for the sake of accuracy, she's from New Zealand, not Canada.

I'll fix that up, cheers.

Nah, from memory she doesn't really say that. Check the thread, her implications are hazy at best within the actual context. Still, I guess I'll review it and if I'm wrong fix it.

Now this post below is a perfect example of what I was talking about. It doesn't contribute to discussion. He's asking me to speak about and justify myself, rather than the topic at hand. To an extent he's confusing and muddling issues. Still, guess I'll give him the time of day; seeing as he spent time responding to me.
The Jester wrote:I've never understood what it is about being unpleasant that's so funny/amusing. I mean pure, unadulterated bile here, not The Young Ones slapstick.

I respectfully disagree.
What purpose does being confrontational with everyone who speaks to you serve? Why must criticism always be presented unpleasantly? Is it really so impossible to mix it with politeness (answer; no. See Neil Gaiman)?

Well Rabid was perfectly polite, I'm just a different sort of arguer. The way I see it, if I come in here and act subservient and polite and pull punches I won't have time to get my points across. Sure I've been rude, but then I haven't exactly waltzed into the middle of my Welcoming party have I?

Since when has simple rebuttal been sufficient to constitute cogent debate? Why is it so necessary to prove oneself "right", instead of letting differences in opinion lie? Since when has strident presentation of opinion been indistinguishable from the opposite of lies (implied; truth)?

You guys tell me, you're the one's calling me out for my opinions.

When an opinion is about me or something I have done I think its fair, if not expected, for me to put my viewpoint across.
Stinkychops, you also fail to take into account the fact that we're [b][b]all[/b][/b] fond of Theremin to varying degrees here, and therefore are willing to provide him some leeway.

I just wanted to hear you guys actually say it was favouritism. An admittance of bias makes it no more reasonable.
That's just how he is sometimes, and we like him for or despite it.

Glad to see you talking on behalf of the hive mind. Wouldn;t want to judge posts by themselves. No sirree. Double standards are where it's at these days.

You, on the other hand, are a stranger. One who, furthermore, is a professed and demonstrable critic (or perhaps put more simply enemy) of LRR. Is it not natural, therefore, that we would cut him more slack? Is he wrong in asserting that we can gain nothing from attempting debate with you?

So criticising a group of 'entertainers' who you like, makes me your enemy? That's reasonable.
Now sure, he's insulted you and called you names, but one of the things we learn in playgrounds and schools is that one should rise above such petty insults and be and speak better than that. So far you have only reciprocated, and it hurts your credibility and throws your emotional maturity into doubt. Please, prove me wrong.

That's why I haven't responded to him. I like the way you pretend I'm leading him on. I haven't reciprocated... I haven't cussed at anyone. I'd like you to accept that. Questioning my 'Emotional maturity' (which is nonsense to begin with, intellectualising emotions is in fact a form of neurosis) implies you can tell my emotional state. Which throws your intellectual capabilities into doubt, if you don't mind me saying.

Your entire post is a passive aggressive have-at-you. You're trying to fan some non-existent flames. If you have nothing of any merit to say, it doesn't matter how eloquently you speak.

Would you care to discuss the topic at hand or do you want to keep trying to lecture me?
Last edited by Stinkychops on 19 Jun 2011, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
I'm kind of a big deal.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 19 Jun 2011, 06:08

Here's a fun little trick: if you need to extraneously justify what you say, then clearly you need to fix what you said.

I still maintain calling her "The Token Girl" is sexist.

Stinkychops wrote:To call someone the 'token x' is commentary on the medium/genre/society/culture they're in. It's not sexist at all. It is insulting for a reason you're not stating, which is that it implies she might not have been the most qualified for the job.

So she was included in anything not because the LRR crew felt she was funny, but because she is a woman? How is that not what I was saying? Also you failed to address my claim it's false.

Also,
The Wiki wrote:"You choose to host files publicly on the internet[...]"-stinkychops
"[...]Does this mean that doctors who became doctors because they wanted to heal the sick shouldn't be paid either?"-Kathleen

This is pretty clear to me. Doctors who become doctors to heal should be paid, actors who become actors to entertain should be paid. At no point does she say "we (either speaking for actors or speaking for LRR [you imply she was speaking specifically for LRR in your wiki page though]) deserve to be paid as much as doctors."

If she did say that, then clearly your wiki page deserves improvement there.
Bad Ideas Bear
First Video: Starbull

Postby Bad Ideas Bear » 19 Jun 2011, 06:11

I think if we had even more piety and passive aggression this could all really go somewhere fun.
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 19 Jun 2011, 06:12

I see words in your posts that make sentances, but what I read is, "BITTER JEALOUSY AT PEOPLE WHO ARE MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN ME" and abuse of John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

All of your complaints at LRR are founded on the fact that they make videos and, for only a few years, are making money from their videos.

You have to see how that comes across as bitter, yes?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 19 Jun 2011, 06:14

...I am also about to double post despite the fact that I hate it, because editing my above post doesn't seem like the best idea. OH LOOK NINJA'D! Yay no double post.

If you came on here, and called us all a raging bunch of cunts who can't appreciate good humor (your wiki page, specifically), and only like terrible trite shit that's moneygrubbing (sorry, moneyfagging), and that we deserve to rot in a fire for a million years and choke on our own semen coated cocks, you wouldn't have been banned or censored.

No one would like, or talk to you, but the moderators would not have acted.

I also find it hilarious how defensive you are of our criticism regarding your criticism.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers

Postby Lord Chrusher » 19 Jun 2011, 06:49

Here is the original post:

Lady Kathleen wrote:
stinkychops wrote:Compensate creators?

You choose to host files publicly on the internet.

This is like painting on a wall and then asking people to pay for your brushes. You created the content before people can pay for it, its a risky situation.

What you're saying is this: I paint a mural. You love to look at the mural, and you look at it every week. It brings a smile to your face. So I say, "hey, would you mind throwing a couple of bucks into my hat since you like my work so much?" and you respond with "fuck you, I can look at it for free because you painted it outside!"

stinkychops wrote:Artists do not deserve to be compensated as they are making something as the purpose

Does this mean that doctors who became doctors because they wanted to heal the sick shouldn't be paid either? That's ridiculous. Art and money aren't exclusive. Artists don't cease to become artists when they seek compensation for their work. They become professional artists. The same way athletes become professional athletes when they get paid for their work (Olympians vs pro football players) People need to support themselves.

I doubt I will get through to you, you're clearly living in a world where art is meaningless, the Olympics are a waste of money, and doctor's only compensation should be the privilege of treating you.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Stinkychops

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 06:51

theDreamer wrote:Here's a fun little trick: if you need to extraneously justify what you say, then clearly you need to fix what you said.

I'd hardly call it extraneous. Why doesn't the same tricks apply to your, pretty long, attempts to label my article sexist. More double standards probably.

I still maintain calling her "The Token Girl" is sexist.

Okay.
Stinkychops wrote:To call someone the 'token x' is commentary on the medium/genre/society/culture they're in. It's not sexist at all. It is insulting for a reason you're not stating, which is that it implies she might not have been the most qualified for the job.

So she was included in anything not because the LRR crew felt she was funny, but because she is a woman? How is that not what I was saying? Also you failed to address my claim it's false.

That wasn't what I was suggesting, I merely put that forward as another incorrect interpretation.

I'm saying that she is a female in a male dominated domain. It's not difficult to grasp.
Also,
The Wiki wrote:"You choose to host files publicly on the internet[...]"-stinkychops
"[...]Does this mean that doctors who became doctors because they wanted to heal the sick shouldn't be paid either?"-Kathleen

This is pretty clear to me. Doctors who become doctors to heal should be paid, actors who become actors to entertain should be paid. At no point does she say "we (either speaking for actors or speaking for LRR [you imply she was speaking specifically for LRR in your wiki page though]) deserve to be paid as much as doctors."

If she did say that, then clearly your wiki page deserves improvement there.

Not this argument again.

There is no law requiring me to disable ad block. There is a law requiring me to pay doctors. You have nothing to stand on.

She is implying that she deserves money just as much as plumbers and doctors. She says:
"Then why can a plumber demand to be paid? You watched my video, he fixed your sink. The difference between these two transactions is that I expect you to view the ads my website shows as a form of payment, he wants cash in kind. You don't have to watch my video, and you don't have to call a plumber - the point is, by watching a video, or having a plumber come to your house, you've entered into an implicit contract to get something from us (entertainment/plumbing) you couldn't provide yourself."

Thats word for word one of the things she said in the thread I linked. I've entered no implicit contract. She's making it up as she goes. The work of a plumber is not up for opinion over whether they deserve payment. It is a matter of law.

You're confusing the issue.

Bad Ideas Bear wrote:I think if we had even more piety and passive aggression this could all really go somewhere fun.

Well seeing as everyone's calling me confrontational, I guess I'm not passive aggressive. So I'll assume that bit was directed at these civil chaps.
Drinnik wrote:I see words in your posts that make sentances, but what I read is, "BITTER JEALOUSY AT PEOPLE WHO ARE MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN ME"

That's your issue.
and abuse of John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Perhaps in the bits I quoted from you. Seeing as you're the one swearing.
All of your complaints at LRR are founded on the fact that they make videos

All of our criticisms of their videos are based on their videos? Obviously. LOL
and, for only a few years, are making money from their videos.

Its the manner in which they make the money, not the money itself.
You have to see how that comes across as bitter, yes?

Nope. All I see is someone desperately clutching at straws.
theDreamer wrote:...I am also about to double post despite the fact that I hate it, because editing my above post doesn't seem like the best idea. OH LOOK NINJA'D! Yay no double post.

If you came on here, and called us all a raging bunch of cunts who can't appreciate good humor (your wiki page, specifically),and only like terrible trite shit that's moneygrubbing (sorry, moneyfagging), and that we deserve to rot in a fire for a million years and choke on our own semen coated cocks, you wouldn't have been banned or censored.

Well the staff of these forums can run the place however they like. It's none of my concern. Never have I suggested censorship on this site is an issue.

No one would like, or talk to you
The_Jerald seemed to disagree. I'm obviously not familiar with this forums rules. My apoligies.
I also find it hilarious how defensive you are of our criticism regarding your criticism.

I'm not. Did you see the bits before where you criticised my article and said "Cheers I'll sort that out" or "I'll check" and so forth.

Point out where I'm defensive of criticism towards my article. To be honest, I don't see how you can claim a discussion is being unreasonable. I'm not just going to bend over and agree with everything you guys say.

Overall I thought you were a reasonable dude until I read this post and learnt otherwise. Oh well.
I'm kind of a big deal.
Bad Ideas Bear

Postby Bad Ideas Bear » 19 Jun 2011, 06:56

Assume makes an ass out of um and e.
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 19 Jun 2011, 07:06

I like the way you think Bad Ideas Bear.
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 19 Jun 2011, 07:19

I love circular arguements...

Stinkychops

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 07:21

Drinnik wrote:I love circular arguements...

That would explain a lot.
I'm kind of a big deal.
Bad Ideas Bear

Postby Bad Ideas Bear » 19 Jun 2011, 07:22

You're doing passive aggression right!

High five!
Stinkychops

Postby Stinkychops » 19 Jun 2011, 07:25

Bad Ideas Bear wrote:You're doing passive aggression right!

High five!

AWWW YEEEAAH

It must be contagious!

Not that I'm calling you hypocritical or anything.
I'm kind of a big deal.
Bad Ideas Bear

Postby Bad Ideas Bear » 19 Jun 2011, 07:27

There it is again! Awrrarar!

Return to “General Discussion”