Needle Felting

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Garfman
First Video: Failure

Needle Felting

Postby Garfman » 19 Jun 2011, 16:09

I've noticed that quite a few people in this forum are needle felters, including Tally (whose work looks amazing).

As a beginning felter, I'm looking for tips on how to make my stuff better. For one thing, most of the good stuff I've seen isn't near as fuzzy as mine. How do I fix that?

I made a Photobucket of my stuff, which can be found here

Oh, and my avatar is one of my pieces, too.
OMGItsSarah
First Video: Offensisensitivity

Re: Needle Felting

Postby OMGItsSarah » 19 Jun 2011, 16:20

Have you seen Tally's blog? She has a lot of information on needle felting that might help you out.

Also, I think your stuff is pretty adorable. I like the turtle the best.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Jun 2011, 18:00

Tally would definitely be the person to turn to for tips. She has all of the crafting ability. All of it!

I don't needle felt, but I must say that Pangolin in your photobucket is quite adorable!
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 19 Jun 2011, 18:24

I haven't needle felted before (just felted some knitted fabric for a purse), but I have the feeling that the too fuzzy problem could be fixed by more needle stabbing. Other than that, I'll third the suggestion for asking Tally.

I like the cuttlefish!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 19 Jun 2011, 19:47

One major tip: DON'T STAB YOUR FINGERS WITH THE NEEDLE.
Garfman

Postby Garfman » 19 Jun 2011, 20:02

Waaaaay too late for that, man. I can't make a single thing without doing it at least once.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 20 Jun 2011, 05:55

Garfman, your critters are darling! I especially love the cuttlefish and the box turtle. You seem to be doing a remarkably good job mixing the colours on the critters together in a pretty natural looking way - something I always have trouble with.

The answer to making them less fuzzy is indeed to just keep stabbing. The tighter you roll your initial lump of wool, the faster the whole process should go. I also like to start out with a large size felting needle, which solidifies the wool much more quickly. It creates a less smooth surface, though, so once I have pretty much the size and shape I want, I put another very thin layer of wool over my object's surface and stab it into place with a small size needle for a nicer surface.

The other thing is, of course, that sometimes having a fuzzy surface is actually the look you want for a particular critter, so you can leave it fuzzier deliberately.

I'm stoked to hear about more people needle felting. I'm running a table at Iconocraft this week (the craft fair I've assisted in organizing) that will teach people how to needle felt, and I'm hoping there will be a healthy interest in it.
Last edited by Tally on 21 Jun 2011, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 21 Jun 2011, 05:45

>.>

Anyone in here felt soap? I'm just starting and being that I have 0% craftiness it's um, not working too well. Is there a good tutorial I haven't found yet?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Garfman

Postby Garfman » 21 Jun 2011, 13:12

I think I might have heard about it, and a Google search brought up this.

I realized I needle felt to make plush toys I desperately wanted as a kid. That said, here's a Flying Toaster. I was a strange child.

I would love to see other people's needle felting stuff.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 21 Jun 2011, 14:04

Garfman - yeah, that's the tutorial I was using... his description isn't complete at all as my first attempt looked more like a drowned rat.

But that's a really cute flying toaster. At first I thought it was a Minecraft sheep.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 21 Jun 2011, 21:00

thatlaurachick, I wish I could offer advice, but all I can offer is sympathy, because my only attempt at felting soap (about a year ago) was pretty much a disaster and I never have gone back and tried to figure out what in heck didn't work. I followed all the steps exactly, and there was wool all around the soap, it just didn't get anywhere near so tight and tidy and nice looking as in all the nice Google pictures. And I referenced that exact same tutorial, along with some others.

If anyone here has successfully felted soap, I too would love to hear the big magic secret, or at least some tips.

EDIT: Rereading the tutorial, I notice they don't mention putting it in cold water until quite a ways on, when the wool is already supposed to be snug around the soap. Since the back and forth between hot and cold is what actually makes the wool shrink, I bet doing that step sooner (and repeatedly switching between it and the hot water) might help. Also, from other wet felting experience I've learned that Corriedale wool is actually a bit of a bitch to wet felt with. Great for needle felting, but not so much for wet felting - too course, I think. Something finer would probably make for a smoother, more even surface at least. (Merino, for example, is brilliant for wet felting, though it's also way more expensive.) But this is all just guesswork.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 22 Jun 2011, 05:02

Hm... the part about the water temp is good to know! I'll try again with that. I *really* want to felt my favorite store brand of soap.

On wool: I'm felting with a mixed bag of roving ends from a friend, but I already know the "smooth" feel ends shouldn't be used for wet felting soap. (too much lanolin) Makes your hands feel great though.

Return to “General Discussion”