The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Aug 2014, 06:58

I always assumed "Print Name" meant "Write it in Capitals".
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Aug 2014, 16:14

I think English is unusual compared to other European languages in teaching printing then teaching cursive.

I always printed after we stopped being forced to write in cursive but I kind that when I write quickly my writing becomes more cursive like as I joint up letters. It also becomes much more illegible as it approaches a wavy horizontal line.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 02 Aug 2014, 17:22

My writing is a modified form of cursive; my 'f's and 'r's are slightly different, and I don't do capitals in cursive.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Aug 2014, 18:23

Truth be told, I haven't handwritten anything much more than my signature since I graduated high school. My college let me take notes on my laptop, and I do all my writing on it too.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 03 Aug 2014, 00:23

Just because I know some people don't often check some of the other forum areas, episode 5 of fan dump is up, and we're recruiting for episode 7.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Aug 2014, 03:34

What is "immaturity"?

I was watching a Twitch stream last night and users were being their usery self. They were chatting among themselves. They were making humoured jokes about events on the stream etc... But there was this one user who was quite salty and kept whining that people were being immature.

Surely immaturity is subjective? Is it a sin to behave like a child? Is it condescending to call others immature? Is it disrespectful to youthful people to describe youthfulness as a negative trait?

Would "not be an arsehole and considerate of others" be a better thing to strive for, rather than "being mature"?

Isn't being "mature" knowing when it's fine to be child-like, and when it's inappropriate?

Is whining constantly about other people for being immature without explaining how they're being immature, immature in itself? Or is it useless feedback? A possible valid critique, but saying "Stop it. You're being immature" every time isn't going to stop people doing it. If people don't understand, people don't understand. They won't magically understand through the power of telekinesis or cosmic rays.

I wanted to talk to the person about this, but as a chat moderator then, I felt like it would be inappropriate. I didn't want to instigate an argument (I somehow have that talent). Or cause people to jump on the complainer. I just sat back and watched and thought "sigh" - being prepared to intervene if necessarily.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 05 Aug 2014, 03:53

Perhaps what the person is actually saying is "You are not acting according to my perception of how an adult should act"?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Aug 2014, 04:17

Indeed, but they say "you're immature", and that statement is up to interpretation.
People seem to say a lot of ambiguous things and expect others to know what they mean.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 05 Aug 2014, 04:49

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:People seem to say a lot of ambiguous things and expect others to know what they mean.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to "you're doing something I don't think is normal, and want to shame you for it". By definition, the things I think are "normal", I think everyone thinks are normal... that's what makes them normal. Even if I'm wrong about what I think is normal... I'm still going to think my definition is common. If I felt the need to clarify what I mean by "normal", I'd have to admit to myself that what I'm thinking of may not be that normal after all.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Aug 2014, 05:32

I've always noticed in a social online environment, when one person says "I don't like the language that's being used" does shift the tone drastically.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 05 Aug 2014, 05:41

To Klingon?

In all seriousness, I know what you mean, but its often because those people are generally just ornery, further out of their comfort zone than they should be, trying to gain either unwarranted control or attention, or looking to troll. I wouldn't worry about it, personal responsibility should kick in, and they should leave the chat if they geniunely feel that way.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Aug 2014, 06:47

I notice it tends to be from "much" older users.
I do wonder whether it is a comfort zone thing. It is a culture shock if you're used to a certain type of social company, to be in an environment which you're not used to.
e.g. if you're over 50 and you're used to that sort of environment. You watch a Stream and it's full of teenagers being teenagers, it's going to be a shock.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Aug 2014, 08:44

The US mint just released a gold Kennedy half dollar they are $1240 each, there is a limit of 5 per address.

The US mint doesnt charge you until the day they ship out from the mint. I have a buyer who is paying a minimum of 1350 each coin for them. He currently has retailers lined up that are going to pay him a minimum of $1400 each coin. The expected retail is going to be 1600 the expected Ebay price will be $1500.

If you want to buy some it should be pretty easy to flip them. If you want to buy them and sell them to my buyer send me a PM he is willing to buy as many as he can get, if the price goes up between now and when you get the coins he splits the increase 50/50 with you if he sells them for $1800 (its happened before on coins like this) he will pay you $1575.

I know this sounds strange but I figured I would just let you guys know, its not a PILE of money but its pretty easy if you have available funds on your creditcard. The mint comes out with really collectable coins like this about once every 9 months and I typically make between $250 and a thousand so I thought I would share the info, do with it what you want.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 05 Aug 2014, 10:48

Lord Chrusher wrote:I think English is unusual compared to other European languages in teaching printing then teaching cursive.

I always printed after we stopped being forced to write in cursive but I kind that when I write quickly my writing becomes more cursive like as I joint up letters. It also becomes much more illegible as it approaches a wavy horizontal line.

In primary schools in England you get less marks if you don't write in cursive in writing tests.

So a very neat printed piece of work may get 2 marks out of 3, whereas a very hard to read but cursive piece of work would get full marks.

Although you're right in the broader context of teaching two different ways to write, I just though that needed stating.

Anyways...

I've almost finished with my summer job. After inputting around 7,100 primary school SAT papers, I'm almost done. Two more schools to go, graphing, and .zip-ing the information back to schools. Then it's all done...until next year.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 05 Aug 2014, 14:28

Well, the word "cursive" was NEVER used when I was taught 'handwriting' :P

I have found that my writing style has become what we always referred to as "teacher script" - a mix and mash of cursive script and printing - the first letter or two of a word would be separate letters and then the next few would be connected, and then a separate letter, etc. etc.

It seems to be a fast method of putting down relatively readable text...well, 'readable' being a YMMV thing, given that I'm a dyslexic southpaw ;)
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 05 Aug 2014, 14:46

viscomica wrote:
Prospero101 wrote:Catcher in the Rye
can spaghet-fucked. I hate how the teachers try to pass off Holden
Caufield as some profound intellectual. He wasn't. He was a spoiled
brat.

I don't see how those two things are opposite. Holden was a spoiled brat AND an intellectual.

I hated Catcher in the Rye when I read it, too. I was frustrated by the fact that nothing actually significant happened in the story. It was just some whiny guy going around talking about how he hated everything and (nearly) everyone. Why do people think this is a classic?

Then I watched this (and part 2, which is especially relevant) and it changed my mind a little. I still don't like the book, but I'm less mad about it. Might be useful to you as well. At the same time you might hate it, as he tries to legitimize the character. Either way, thought I'd put it out there.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Aug 2014, 15:27

auberginequeen wrote:
I hated Catcher in the Rye when I read it, too. I was frustrated by the fact that nothing actually significant happened in the story. It was just some whiny guy going around talking about how he hated everything and (nearly) everyone. Why do people think this is a classic?

Then I watched this (and part 2, which is especially relevant) and it changed my mind a little. I still don't like the book, but I'm less mad about it. Might be useful to you as well. At the same time you might hate it, as he tries to legitimize the character. Either way, thought I'd put it out there.

I'm an avid watcher of Crash Course, actually. John does make a number of interesting points. I can accept his thoughts on the book because they're based on the text. But he doesn't convince me otherwise, no.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 05 Aug 2014, 16:20

I figured it was Crash Course. I still have to watch those, but I doubt he'll convince me of the book's merits. At the very least, he certainly won't make me like it.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Aug 2014, 17:13

Reminds me of my English professor's policy on the matter. He didn't particularly care if you agreed with him or not. But if you were going to argue the matter, you'd best base your arguments in the text. That's what John does, so I can respect that.

Can't say I agree with him.

auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 05 Aug 2014, 17:24

Perhaps I'm alone in being so easily swayed.

I've been trying to read fiction lately as a result of the Literature series, something I've always had a hard time doing. I've never been great at parsing (or even noticing) symbolism in text, whether people agree it's there or not. I think he does a good job demonstrating that just because something is unpleasant doesn't mean it lacks merit or isn't worth our time. I guess I should stay out of the way until I'm less of a literary n00b, though.

Carry on.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Aug 2014, 17:27

I agree with you on every point there, auberginequeen. I just don't like Catcher in the Rye.

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Aug 2014, 19:09

I liked Catcher a lot. And I think a lot does go on in it, just not as overtly as other things.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 06 Aug 2014, 00:29

Background: We use pseudonyms at work so that when authors ring up asking to speak to an editor, we can set down rules for the conversation rather than having them tie us up on the phone jabbering about their work for hours on end.

My boss just sent an email meant for me assuring me that a recent complaint by a client was unfounded (fortunately using polite language), using all real names (the real names of literally every person at the company), to said client :-S
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 06 Aug 2014, 05:50

I'm assuming that means now you have to kill him.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Aug 2014, 06:19

The client, or the boss?

...or both?

Return to “General Discussion”