The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Prospero101 » 11 Aug 2014, 11:38

Sounds a lot like the biddies around here, whose thoughts never expand beyond their yard, the church, and the stretch of road between the two.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Aug 2014, 12:19

Saw the Ninja Turtles movie today. Good god it's awful. No wonder Marvel fans are offended it displaced Guardians from the box office.
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby poopintheairtonight » 11 Aug 2014, 12:31

Bebop Man wrote:Saw the Ninja Turtles movie today. Good god it's awful. No wonder Marvel fans are offended it displaced Guardians from the box office.

I hear the product placement for a particular pizza chain is off the charts...
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Aug 2014, 13:11

Honestly I didn't even notice it. I did read a review complaining about it though.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Aug 2014, 17:52

I noticed the pizza product placement but I did not find that egregious. Product placement is the least of the movie's problems problems. I should not be bored in an comic book movie.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Aug 2014, 08:03

Leoben/#2 totally goes to my gym.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 13 Aug 2014, 10:38

Ethawn Hawke should play Jonas Angstrom in a biopic.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 13 Aug 2014, 14:05

Back home from my trip. Exhausted. From Sunday until Friday, I will have no internet access for a week. This is annoying.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 14 Aug 2014, 02:09

Good news everyone, I've been hired on to write semi-professionally for A site covering IndyCar.

http://thebeckettsblog.com/indycar

Plus you can follow them at Twitter.com/thebeckettsblog for info on when new articles come out.

I am also on Twitter. Whatevs.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 14 Aug 2014, 07:08

first - that's great, Max!

second - I'm punching this out on my DS at the hospital cafeteria (thank you for free wifi, Tim Hortons!)

zyxst passed out this morning while she was helping me get ready for work. she came too almost immediately, but was weak and complained of cramps (she's been on her period). I helped her up, get into some shoes and got a cab to take her to the ER.

after a short wait ("you will be served in order of severity" :S ), the doctor asked to do a pelvic exam - I stayed by the bed and held her hand while the doctor did her thing, and then told us that zyxst's period had stopped previously - the blood she was seeing on her pads was from a haemorrhage - "I think she might have popped a blood vessel from her period cramps". Apparently it wasn't too big, and the doctor cauterized it there without needing surgery or anything, but they've transfusing her a couple pints of blood to replenish what she's unknowingly let wash away.

So I'm grabbing a bite here and checking up with you all; barring any complications (blood vessel reopens) or whatnot, they should be discharging her in a little while. Then I get to wait on her hand and foot for a day or so as she sits bored in bed, letting things heal completely. ;)

I'm greatly relieved that this is (hopefully) as simple as it's turned out. It was fucking scary at first (I'm also glad she's lost all that weight, even with the adrenalin, I don't think I could have lifted her like I did when she was pushing 300lbs.)

The er was kinda surreal; me up at her head, holding her hand while a doctor rummaged around between her legs seemed awefully similar to a different circumstance...and this kinda made me confident in our implicit decision to not have kids (my excuse is we both have plenty of allergies; our poor offspring would probably just burst into flames on delivery :P )

talk to you all more once we get home.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 14 Aug 2014, 07:15

Glad she went to get it sorted! My lady would have just said "No, I'm ok!" and ignored it while I spent days trying to convince her then eventually just forcing her to go.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Aug 2014, 07:28

Best of luck to you and zxyst, empath. I'm sure everything will be fine, or my name isn't Lars Gerhardt.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
empath

Postby empath » 14 Aug 2014, 07:59

okay, I'm home! She's healing up nicely, and seems much more energetic (thanks to the transfusion)...she won't get to bed "until I do my Let's Plays!" :)

Yeah, it was tricky - normally zyxst is pretty cautious about herself, but this got masked by her normal menses.

Now we gotta get some iron-rich food cooked for supper. (and I gotta get her to take it easy :) )
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 14 Aug 2014, 08:07

Any way to get her game sorted in your room so she can play it from bed? Or is it a PC she's playing from? Much harder for that one.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Aug 2014, 08:10

Is it a video Let's Play or a screenshot Let's Play? I ask because a. Precious few of the latter are done these days and I kinda miss them and b. The latter is probably easier to pull off while relaxing.

empath

Postby empath » 14 Aug 2014, 08:45

They're just short 10-ish min YouTube episodes. Heck, her Spelunky Daily...um, really didn't last nearly that long. ;)

I've got her safely 'burrito'd' in bed, with the laptop, a bottle of water, and a few books to read.

And they're vids - she does a fair bit, more from boredom. Now usually she's putting up her gameplay with commentary on "carrollkuemper", but her Canadian residency status is kinda in bureaucratic limbo (waiting for the renewal to be processed), so she's stopped that monetized channel, and is currently recording on 'mangananese', and just a few games. (did you know it's really hard to STOP monetization of a YT channel? ;) )
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Aug 2014, 08:22

I think there is one difference between Digital Art making and Traditional Art making (besides the computer thing).

Traditional art has a reliance on colour mixing.
Digital art can choose to "mix" colour (on the the work), but doesn't have to. Digital art can just choose the exact colour they want, or think they want and change their mind.

Traditional Artists if they want to achieve a different colour, have to embark in a form of alchemy if using fluids, or embark on physics if using dry.
empath

Postby empath » 15 Aug 2014, 13:35

Fun Fact: when cooking something with a pastry top, like say, chicken pot pies...don't turn on the 'steam' part of the combi-steam/convection oven. :roll:

The pot pies *I* cooked for the hot case along with all the other stuff (casseroles, soup, etc) came out fine, since I used dry heat...

...but the extra pot pies the assistant manager put on after that (there's a sale)?

See, the oven has a whole raft of programs to cook just about anything (including pizza), but she prefers to just manually run things...but this time she turned on the steam when she set the oven.

...and the pastry on those pot pies was mud. :(

(I can't wait for the manager to get back from her vacation; it seems the #1s that get transferred in are always great, but their immediate subordinates are always just shite. :( )
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 17 Aug 2014, 13:59

I did some baking today, and made a really good looking loaf of bread! (I'll upload a photo later).

Now, I just hope it tastes as good as I think it looks!

EDIT: Yum, yum, yum! It tasted very good!
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Aug 2014, 14:43

The Pokemon World Championships VG ended today.
I wasn't expecting it to be amazing. I thought it'd be a wankfest for people who get far too into Pokemon Competitive Battling. But there were some gems.

Two players used lesser known Pokemon to devastating effect and caused a wonderful storm in social media about Pachirisu and Fan Rotom (helped by their cute designs, battling against big gribbly monsters).

However, you had things like a competitor in the Junior division called "You Mad Bro" (thankfully he lost), audience members having SALT placards (meme to indicate people being annoyed) and general biased crowds (in a Japan Vs. German match, the audience were very much biased towards the Japanese player. They'd cheer when the Japanese player KO'd a Pokemon, but when the German player did, not so much). Kinda annoying that you have these arse hats (audience members can choose who to cheer for, but still, surely an exciting battle is more enjoyable than watching some guy who isn't German winning?) that negatively affect the feel of the competition. Especially since gaming does find it challenging to be recognised as a sport in the Western world.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 17 Aug 2014, 20:20

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:I did some baking today, and made a really good looking loaf of bread!

Oh my sidescrolling zombie Jesus, I LIVE for freshly baked bread. I want to claw my way through the tube connecting your computer with mine. It looks really good, Valkyrie.

empath

Postby empath » 21 Aug 2014, 15:39

Standing at the checkout line, my gaze drifted over the glossy magazines and tabloids:

"James Garner: The Secrets He Took To The Grave"

"Doris Day: Her Untold Story"

"JFK.Jr & Caroline: Their Untold Love Story"

:shock:

Um, no - do the headline writers even read and PROCESS what they've put on the cover/front page? I'm sure the wiki page for 'paradox' has pictures of these. ;)
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 21 Aug 2014, 16:44

But "Some Potentially Defamatory Bullshit We Made Up" just doesn't sell as well. :P
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 21 Aug 2014, 18:14

You should keep one in your back pocket to ward off robots.

empath

Postby empath » 22 Aug 2014, 18:55

But I like robots - their only flaws can be traced to their fallible, mortal organic creators...

Return to “General Discussion”