The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby ex-Lurker » 08 Jan 2015, 23:15

I feel annoyed that people would take religious tenets so far and sad that so many people died because of a one-off cartoon produced 8 years ago.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Jan 2015, 23:38

Charlie Hebdo published another issue with a cartoon of Muhammad on the cover in November of 2011 and in September of 2012 published a series of satirical cartoons of Muhammad. In response to the 2011 cartoons their offices were fired bombed.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jan 2015, 03:57

I'm actively hoping that this doesn't turn anyone towards resentment of the Islamic faith. On top of other sad things and worries this is causing.
It makes me think of all additional atrocities that take place elsewhere in the world which I may not know about because they are not reported in the same way. (How can you think of something you don't know happens? I don't know, but you often learn of things that are actively happening or had happened but you never knew about because no one if your area of communications told you)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jan 2015, 09:22

Most people of all faiths are decent, but there's always going to be the extreme element, which will end up making the most news. It's not the faith that causes people to be crazy. The faith only paints certain targets for crazy people to rationalize their acts. It doesn't even need to be "faith" per se, either. It could just be "interest." I can imagine some psycho Trekkie trying to blow up LucasFilm out of some sort of imagined rivalry.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 09 Jan 2015, 12:29

If the world had no religion, these people would still find way to hurt people. The fact that the majority of people who follow any religion are both peaceful and mostly tolerant, shows it's not just the religion at fault.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jan 2015, 15:14

Labels are an easy route to blame. Easier to think of people in terms of labels than in terms of individuals.
It's been like, 13 years since the Trade Center? That means there are teenagers that grew up with this.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 09 Jan 2015, 23:40

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Need some opinions from techy guys.

I'm thinking of getting new RAM for my PC (Currently has 3GB) to maybe make it 6GB or 8GB. Thing is that I have to use (I'm sure) DDR2 RAM systems, which is being outdated by DDR3. I don't know if I should buy something to upgrade my current system or plonk for a new system with DDR3 in it (Changing the motherboard would be a pain for me).

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?

Go for the DDR 3. You'd be surprised. They're called Double Data Rate for a reason.

DDR 3 has lower voltage usage and higher speeds.

DDR2: 400 MHz, 533 MHz, 667 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066MT/s
DDR3: 800 Mhz, 1066 Mhz, 1330 Mhz, 1600 Mhz

So basically 4GB of DDR3 is way faster than 4GB of DDR2.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 10 Jan 2015, 10:09

Thanks Darkobra. I'll probably just get a whole new PC in the summer when I can afford one; my current PC needs too many things that need upgrading that the actual cost of a new system is perhaps lower. Plus my HD is getting to the point where most modern games take up, literally, a quarter of available HD space and there is less and less support for 32-bits systems.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 18 Jan 2015, 17:48

Today I went to the movies to watch Foxcatcher. I liked it, but surprisingly I didn't quite buy Carell's performance. The movie felt lacking at some parts. Err... Channing Tatum performance was really good. I totally wasn't expecting that. And of course, Mark Ruffalo was awesome as per usual.
In other news I was thinking about starting a blog named "Panda's reviews" or sth along those lines. The only thing preventing me from doing it is my own laziness :D
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 21 Jan 2015, 01:37

Yesterday I drove a student to the hospital as she started having really bad headaches, I got her to the emergency room but I remained with her to help the doctors because the woman couldn't speak a language they could understand. Her headaches came in waves and were so bad that she had to sit up, at one point the doctors left the room to discuss how to proceed and another wave hit her, and this time it was so bad that she passed out and I just managed to catch her before she fell out of the bed.
Then the doctors rushed in, and soon several more joined in; declaring it an emergency; hooking her up to all matter of equipment and started taking tests. The later sent her by ambulance to another -more advanced- hospital.
I was with her for 2 hours and I've never felt so powerless in my life as I did then, unable to help someone who is suffering in the same room as me.

While she is still in the hospital and we don't know what happened to her the good news is that at least she is now conscious.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Jan 2015, 00:54

Are there such things as Love Songs that are about sibling love rather than romantic?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Jan 2015, 01:30

hmmm...

♫I will protect you, I will always be the shoulder to lean or cry on, the audience that cheers your successes...♫

Bah, that scans like crap; but then my field is prose, not verse. :(

I'm not quite sure what search terms you'd need, but I think they'd be out there...
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 26 Jan 2015, 05:54

The worst part of being an adult so far: paying your own credit card bills. I hate you credit card! (but I also love you, my precious!)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Jan 2015, 07:09

There it is! :lol:

I hate to admit, when you announced you'd gotten a credit card, I did have a tiny thought in the back of my head was worrying...but I did decide to hold my tongue; 'it'll be a learning experience' - which sounds like you've now encountered, but not TOO overwhelmingly. :)
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 26 Jan 2015, 11:02

Meh, I'll pay it. But it's still a pain in the ass, haha. :P
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 26 Jan 2015, 13:02

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Are there such things as Love Songs that are about sibling love rather than romantic?

"Blue Ridge Mountains" by Fleet Foxes comes to mind. "Sean don't get careless, I'm sure it'll be fine / I love you, I love you, oh brother of mine."

On a different note, has anyone else noticed that the use of the word 'tape' as a verb meaning to record has disappeared from everyone's vocabulary? I'm sure it's because we no longer actually use tape to record on anymore, but...still, for some reason I've been really noticing that lately.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 26 Jan 2015, 13:34

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Are there such things as Love Songs that are about sibling love rather than romantic?

"Little Sister", U2.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 26 Jan 2015, 13:43

Not sure if it's really a 'love' song, but "Brothers in Arms" by the Dire Straights is about someone's love for their comrades in arms.

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 26 Jan 2015, 15:05

Surely there's a song titled "Bros Before Hoes"?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Jan 2015, 15:33

I ask because the concept of intense love for someone you're not related to but you don't want to romance or have sex with seems quite alien. And I wonder if one reason is due to the lack of representation in music and the fact it's considered normal for women but is labeled a "bromance" in men. As if the concept would threaten the masculinity of men, so a manly word is shoved in and an ironically romantic term is thrown in for humorous irony which sort of undermines the sincerity of the relationship.

Maybe I should walk over to the feminism thread.
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 26 Jan 2015, 21:00

The term Bromance bothers me too. TvTropes uses "Heterosexual Life Partners" rather than "Bromance" but that is still a limiting phrase. They also have Platonic Life Partners and True Companions. However TvTropes is limited to commonly used narrative devices and the tropes represent common depictions of gender in media.
Better words require greek :p
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFourLoves
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Jan 2015, 21:08

Love songs about it seem rare, but the concept is pretty old:

The greeks called it "philia": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_words_for_love
And C.S.Lewis wrote a book (in his typical Christian thought experiment way) about the types of love: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Loves
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Jan 2015, 07:17

Lots of Irish folk music revolves around the love of family and loyalty to one's clan. Mostly revolving around fighting the English, but still.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 27 Jan 2015, 09:04

I did it! Payed my credit card bill.
Excuse me while I hide in a cave for the next three days until I get paid.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 27 Jan 2015, 19:28

Look at you being all adult-like.

Return to “General Discussion”