The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Senstaku
First Video: The Job

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Senstaku » 13 Feb 2015, 20:54

I have many fond memories of the Escapist, I've been a member of the site since way back when they had a partnership with G4 and showed previews of ZP on air, so let's try to not beat up on them too much. Still, it is sad to see it going through a rough patch. I didn't even know Greg Tito has been let go until today.

What bugs me the most though is that the forums have steadily gotten more toxic as time goes on. I used to post there a lot but I just can't anymore with the #GGs and Non-#GGs fighting all the time in the boards.
I stream five times a week! Fri, Sat, & Sun 9-12, Mon & Wed 8-11
twitch.tv/senstaku

I also do a podcast!
senstaku.podbean.com

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Feb 2015, 06:01

So. Movie Bob has been fired. This is how he writes, of course. So. Always begins with "so". Marvel, Marvel, Marvel. I told you so. You're wrong to like this. Extremely long sentence that begins by saying something obvious (and then goes on a tangent about something completely irrelevant to the subject matter being discussed, because he likes to constantly link people to half a dozen of his other articles every time he writes a new one). Spider-Man joke. The end.

I will not miss him in the slightest. Maybe somebody less tacky will take up his place.
Last edited by Bebop Man on 14 Feb 2015, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 14 Feb 2015, 06:49

Did he sound like that in his movie review series? Because while he's made his dislike for some things blatantly obvious in his Big Picture series I have never heard him say that someone was wrong for liking something.
Hurp-De-Durp!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 14 Feb 2015, 06:54

Senstaku wrote:I have many fond memories of the Escapist, I've been a member of the site since way back when they had a partnership with G4 and showed previews of ZP on air, so let's try to not beat up on them too much. Still, it is sad to see it going through a rough patch. I didn't even know Greg Tito has been let go until today.

What bugs me the most though is that the forums have steadily gotten more toxic as time goes on. I used to post there a lot but I just can't anymore with the #GGs and Non-#GGs fighting all the time in the boards.

Sadly, the fora with the Escapist had been rather toxic even before LRR started providing content over there (Yahtzee drew me originally, back when they were putting up text articles about the gaming industry...I never really paid much attention to that content, and still don't :? )

That community HAS consistently gotten moreso over time, so apparently management doesn't see that as a problem, so...yeah...
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 14 Feb 2015, 07:33

Apart from Yatzee and the other LRR stuff, the thing that I keep coming back to the escapist for is "Critical Miss". I < 3 Erin Stout.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Feb 2015, 07:49

I'm sorry the "regular" Loading Ready Run videos are gone. At least The Escapist still has Unskippable, and ZP, which to me are the best things they have going. I miss Lisa too.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Feb 2015, 09:42

Didn't know if this belonged to Lols or Vents, so went with Generals.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:The internet is where the philosophy "Don't be a dick" is not understood.

"How much of being a dick is acceptable?"
"Being a dick is my human right!"
"People are being dicks to me as well, so shut up about people being dicks to you!"
"Like this if you hate people being dicks!"
"A dick stays hard for only so long. Then they go soft.." - Madame Cleopatra
"95% of people who claim benefits are dicks! Share this IF YOU HAVE THE BALLS!!!"
#dicks #yolo #gamergate #whateverinternetcontroversyisgoingon
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 18 Feb 2015, 12:35

Bebop Man wrote:I'm sorry the "regular" Loading Ready Run videos are gone. At least The Escapist still has Unskippable, and ZP, which to me are the best things they have going. I miss Lisa too.

Wait, did Lisa leave again? I thought she had recently come back?

Also, why has no one told I was still wearing a Christmas hat?! You're the worst!

You are not the worst, but the best.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Feb 2015, 13:04

Wear the hat as a mark of pride! Mine is staying on all year long.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 18 Feb 2015, 13:15

I'm well aware that I'm still wearing my Santa hat. And I'm too lazy to care.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 18 Feb 2015, 14:12

My hat was stolen from me by a band of goblins. The drummer was especially irritable.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 18 Feb 2015, 15:04

Point of clarity: are we talking your average four-goblin jazz band, or a full-on 30+-goblin marching band?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Feb 2015, 15:52

RedNightmare wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:I'm sorry the "regular" Loading Ready Run videos are gone. At least The Escapist still has Unskippable, and ZP, which to me are the best things they have going. I miss Lisa too.

Wait, did Lisa leave again? I thought she had recently come back?

Also, why has no one told I was still wearing a Christmas hat?! You're the worst!

You are not the worst, but the best.

She came back for a few months and then disappeared without so much as a farewell or even a notice from the staff. This was August 2014. Ironically her final video was "Top 5 Fake Endings".

She's now the host of a mixed martial arts news program.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 18 Feb 2015, 16:18

Prospero101 wrote:Point of clarity: are we talking your average four-goblin jazz band, or a full-on 30+-goblin marching band?

It was a four-goblin jazz band with a rotating guest playing cello, guitar, xylophone, or accordion, actually.

Bebop Man wrote:She came back for a few months and then disappeared without so much as a farewell or even a notice from the staff. This was August 2014. Ironically her final video was "Top 5 Fake Endings".

That's rather weird.
Why did she leave/get fired the first time?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Feb 2015, 16:44

Robo4900 wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:She came back for a few months and then disappeared without so much as a farewell or even a notice from the staff. This was August 2014. Ironically her final video was "Top 5 Fake Endings".

That's rather weird.
Why did she leave/get fired the first time?

Nobody knows. This is all she had to say about it on her blog:

I didn’t want to stop making Top 5s, but neither did The Escapist. It’s… complicated. There are some behind-the-scenes issues with the show being produced currently, and I can assure you it’s not my fault. I loved bringing you my show every week. It wasn’t canceled, I’m not being lazy, and no, I didn’t die, despite all the creative rumors about my death (that mostly I started).

No such thing as a straight answer in Former Content Creator Land.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Feb 2015, 17:07

People don't like burning bridges because you might need the bridge again.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 22 Feb 2015, 17:50

Huh... another person parting with the Escapist. Miracle of Sound is no longer a contributor. Unlike Moviebob though, this one does make sense to me for both parties. I feel like The Escapist has given Gavin all of the publicity they're able to by now, and his songs don't really help The Escapist as much given they're all on Youtube and further listening channels. I only point this out because I find it to be interesting timing.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 23 Feb 2015, 01:08

I saw that. I feel it was inevitable at some point, but yes, the timing is a bit interesting, especially this close to the new hires. We might be reading too much into this though and it could have just been a long time coming.

This is just a gut feeling based on nothing at all, but I feel we might hear something similar from Critical Miss one of these days.

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 23 Feb 2015, 07:36

Well the CM guys have been working on other projects lately, it wouldn't be the most surprising departure in the world.

So long as Yahtzee stays they can throw anyone they like overboard.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Feb 2015, 12:25

I only visit Escapist for CM and Yahtzee.

I tried getting into Frought with Peril, but the Photoshop filters on some of the panels put me off. I haven't checked back since it started. I like the idea of traditionally drawn web comics.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 23 Feb 2015, 22:58

And now Robert Rath has also left the Escapist.

https://twitter.com/RobWritesPulp/status/570034400173252608

I hope he continues to write articles in the vein of Critical Intel, they were always facinating to read.

EDIT: What is it with me and misspelling fascination this morning.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Feb 2015, 00:04

I am not renewing my PubClub when it comes up for renewal in April. I might still watch Unskippable but that will depend how objectionable the ads are.

Also:

The people behind 'I Hit it With My Axe' are severing their ties with The Escapist (NSFW link)
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Feb 2015, 00:22

While I found the show uninteresting, and a link JackSlack posted in this thread made me lose any respect for the guy behind it, I have to say that I can't fault his stance on this issue. It's pretty clear that the Escapist I was a huge fan of around 2009-2011 is gone, and the last remnants of it are falling away. I know I removed it from my bookmarks a few weeks back (when Greg Tito left, I think) and haven't regretted it since.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Feb 2015, 07:30

My daughters are "watching" tom and Jerry on Cartoon network classic, and by watching I mean its on while they play with other things.

It cuts to commercial and the first three ads are for:

"Operation : Now with easier to grab pieces!" not operation junior, just operation now has larger holes and easier to grip bits.

"Mousetrap : comes preassembled just fold it out!" also the Mousetrap doesnt shake and drop as the result of a rube goldberg device, you turn a crank which turns another crank and the net is lowered attached to a screw.

Monopoly : which has credit cards and electronic banker.

So the message is, if its difficult, dont try harder just give up and we will make it easier for you.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 24 Feb 2015, 15:46

What's up with The Escapist anyway? Suddenly everybody's leaving.

Return to “General Discussion”