The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Jan 2016, 12:40

Just finished editing a Master's case study in UK English, most of the work I do is US Eng, so I kept putting in Americanisms and swearing. Put on some Charlemagne and now all is well once more.

Anyway, in my annoyance I realised that 'asap' should be abandoned entirely so that 'forthwith' can return to its rightful place. I hereby decree it.

If you need convincing, just consider

"Janet, if you could get that TPS report to me asap, that'd be great, yeah"

Against

"Fetch my horse forthwith! We must make haste for Coventry!"

Anyway, time to watch Sherlock and get tanked on gin
Edit: Having watched the episode and gotten into a reasonable state, I really enjoyed it. I immediately recognised the thing about the orange pips and I'm glad it wasn't a straight retelling. I think what they did was excellent, the mention of a virus annoyed the hell out of me until I decided there must be some reason for such an obvious modern reference, when it became apparent that it was tied in to the present day, I was genuinely happy. I seriously enjoyed it, now to sober up.

I also enjoyed 'and then there were none', though the book I read didn't quite have the same name, and having read the book deflated the tension somewhat, it was still good.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 06 Jan 2016, 05:55

Does anyone know why (and how) the reuploaded old videos don't show up on the Uploads page of the LRR Youtube channel? They're a bit difficult to find once they've dropped off my subscriptions page.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 07 Jan 2016, 20:08

I've been wondering that too. My usual workaround is to enter "[aired" into the search bar on their channel.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 08 Jan 2016, 19:01

I'm in Philadelphia again y'all.
The only downside is that I miss Bebop (I will obviously shower him with gifts and HUUUGS when I return)
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Jan 2016, 13:22

And I miss *you*, sweetums <3
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 09 Jan 2016, 21:39

D'awwwww <3
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Jan 2016, 16:59

Went to see The Hateful Eight. I didn't really care for it. Mostly because I went in expecting an entirely different movie based on the trailer. I was expecting some action-oriented 'werewolf' style situation. Instead it turned into a slow period-piece focused more on the drama and character building with small bursts of action. It all just felt way too slow for me, and none of the twists really interested me. The ending was good. But the movie felt like it was all build up with no real payoff.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jan 2016, 04:50

I'm slowly chewing my way through the original Yu-Gi-Oh series (1998) and it's kinda funny.

It's not the whimsical show you probably saw on English channels. It's sinister and a lot of people being punched and kicked.

The show can be sumerised as "Arse holes being completely owned by the split personality of Yu-Gi-Oh". The Pharaoh is like a twisted justice seeker. It feels like Yu-Gi is a sweet boy. So the dark spirit perverts Yu-Gi's nature. But because of Yu-Gi, the spirit on extract its wrath on those who seem to "deserve" it.

I would watch more if the episodes didn't have such a long build up to interest and the characters were more likable. But I like the tone of the show.

It's something I watch when I am eating food at my computer and I have nothing else.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Jan 2016, 01:21

If you go to the MTG channel, there's an extra Friday Nights episode from nearly two weeks ago that doesn't seem to have a forum thread or video page on the site.

Unsure of what to do with this knowledge, I'm just putting it here for all to see.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jan 2016, 09:46

I volunteer at my local University Bridging to the Local population Arts center.

There's a system where we state our availability to help with things.

We get e-mailed a rota, and we say what we can do. First come, first served who gets the shift. But this is voluntary work. We're effectively competing with each other over working for free. I just find it strange.

I suppose I can only hope if I put down what I can realistically and reasonably do voluntary, that if there's a paid position in the center, I will have a positive reputation.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 31 Jan 2016, 18:32

I'm back from NYC! (and the States in general)
I was there last week when the blizzard happened but all in all I had a lovely time.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Feb 2016, 15:16

It looks like Kathleen got to direct the new Archer season ad.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 02 Feb 2016, 03:19

Side-by-side comparison of same

(Also useful for the benefit of people like me in countries where the official video is blocked for some incomprehensible reason.)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Feb 2016, 11:56

I'm learning just how fun it is to watch YouTube videos slowed down. Everyone sounds very drunk. I'm watching the Roborally LoadingReadyLive replay right now, and it's kind of hilarious.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Feb 2016, 18:46

I'm suspicious on Social Media when accounts, owned by professional Internet people who I don't know, favourite my contributions.
I feel like they're fishing for new followers. That they assume I will be flattered into following them. A little internet fish was petted by a big fish, and will now follow them and eat their parasites.

I never consider that they legitly found my tweet/picture likable.
phlip

Postby phlip » 23 Feb 2016, 18:59

Whenever that happens to me... some random account that's following tens of thousands of people follows me, or favs one of my random tweets... where it's pretty clear they're just doing it to as many people as they can at random in the hope you'll look at their page and, I'unno, follow back, or click their links, or what have you... I tend to just report them as a spam account and move on. Even if they do look like they're being run by a real human, and not just a bot. Even if I don't, I'll typically block them.

[he/him/his]
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Feb 2016, 04:55

In some cases it I get angry. I get annoyed if my account somehow ends up following someone who I never started following.
I think think "Oh F you" and start incubating revenge. A la CH Kathleen.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 27 Feb 2016, 03:15

12 years ago today(27th of February 2004), the very first LRR sketch featuring Andy went up on the site. The video was called Esquire, and was apparently the first song Andy ever wrote(According to the Wiki at least).
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 27 Feb 2016, 04:02

Happy Andyversary!
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Mar 2016, 18:56

That feeling when you want to discuss a topic, but you're not sure who you want to discuss it with... Hrm...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Apr 2016, 07:34

I discovered today that Brett Domino was, in fact, a character created by Rob J Madin.

I suspected that the personality of Brett Domino was fictional since all the awkwardness felt very cleverly executed and was at the right time. I didn't even consider that Brett Domino was a fictional name as well. I just thought it was an exaggeration, not a character.

I don't know how many years I followed Brett Domino,so it's odd that this never occurred to me.

It's surreal watching videos of Rob J Madin being Rob J Madin.
phlip

Postby phlip » 19 Apr 2016, 18:51

So, I finally got around to playing The Stanley Parable a couple days ago (so good! why did I put it off for so long?) and something has been stuck in my mind ever since...

Trying to avoid spoiling anything... there is a secret disco Easter egg in the game. And seeing it reminded me that I'm pretty sure I've also seen that same thing in a different game at some point. A game I played myself, and then watched it get played on LRL... and I'm pretty sure Alex was present, because I remember him pointing out that it was a reference to The Stanley Parable.

But... for the life of me I can't remember what game it is. I've looked through my Steam library, and I've looked through the LRRbot list of all the games played on IDDQDerp, and I'm not seeing anything that's ringing a bell.

Plugging various searches into Google to try to find any mention of another game having this scene as a reference is revealing nothing.

Am I going mad? Or is the Internet gaslighting me again?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Apr 2016, 21:45

I don't personally recall, but just for future reference, we have a thread specifically for looking for games you can't recall.

Also, maybe it wasn't IDDQDerp but perhaps a Let's Nope or Watch & Play? Might that broaden the search?

Or (and this would be difficult to find) Alex dropping in for a while on a different person's stream? I do that frequently. I'm trying to find something someone said on-stream and can't find it, only to later find out that they said it on someone else's stream when they dropped by for a little bit.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Apr 2016, 00:24

A this is probably the easiest way to get an answer, quick question. I have some fuggly hats to donate to the crew for feed dump/shenanigans. Whom should I contact about shipping info? (I unfortunately only have the adres of the mk2 moonbase)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Apr 2016, 01:34

I would suggest Graham.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”