The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Jan 2014, 02:28

Not sure if I can be bothered with mine :P
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 27 Jan 2014, 00:19

As we speak, I'm watching The Room for the first time. Might edit this post with my impressions.

Ten minutes in I've already ordered the Disaster Artist book because I have to find out what they were thinking.

Tommy Wiseau is actually an alien sent here to study how humans would react to their presence, right? And this movie is his experiment, a way to openly display the subtle and not so subtle differences between our peoples in a fictional context and see how the public reacts, right? 30 minutes in I'm convinced that this is the work of someone human-adjacent.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Jan 2014, 01:34

Musketeers on BBC is good. Get it in your eyes.

Has Prince Caspian (I think) and The Doctor in it.
And Lancelot.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 27 Jan 2014, 14:12

Bebop and I watched True Detective some days ago. I liked it a lot, and seriously, the acting is amazing. I'm still to watch the third episode but I'm already a fan :)
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 27 Jan 2014, 14:29

There's something about a hot female drummer I find irresistible.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Jan 2014, 16:27

Perhaps it's the idea that the two of you would have a lot to talk about?

Y'know, between the disgustingly hot sex my writer's mind imagines all musicians have.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 27 Jan 2014, 17:18

I play the tuba. Somehow it doesn't quite seem to carry the same connotation.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Jan 2014, 17:41

There's a joke about lung capacity in there somewhere.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 27 Jan 2014, 18:01

Doing it underwater?

Is that even a thing?
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 27 Jan 2014, 18:25

If underwater weddings are a real thing I don't see why doing it underwater wouldn't.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 27 Jan 2014, 18:35

viscomica wrote:Bebop and I watched True Detective some days ago. I liked it a lot, and seriously, the acting is amazing. I'm still to watch the third episode but I'm already a fan :)

The constant cutting back and forth between the present-day interrogation scenes and the actual show is starting to get on my nerves though. I'm not sure why it even has a framing device. So they can tease about the stuff that will eventually happen in the show?
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 27 Jan 2014, 18:42

Hmm, I like it but it does seem a bit weird whenever the "present day" detectives interviewing the main characters ask questions about their personal lives.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Jan 2014, 18:45

viscomica wrote:If underwater weddings are a real thing I don't see why doing it underwater wouldn't.

The logistics of that would be mind-boggling.

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 27 Jan 2014, 18:47

I think the more intimate/unrelated stuff like Woody Harrelson cheating on his wife is just going on through his head as he retells the actual case. I don't think he's literally spelling out everything we see on the screen. Some stuff he just remembers. There's a brief shot of him not talking, eyes fixed on the wall, right after we see him cheating on the missus.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 27 Jan 2014, 18:51

Yeah! But how about the questions about their personalities and the dinner and stuff? Those seemed kind of unrelated. I like them, a lot, because it makes the characters more interesting but yeah :)
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 27 Jan 2014, 18:52

Prospero101 wrote:
viscomica wrote:If underwater weddings are a real thing I don't see why doing it underwater wouldn't.

The logistics of that would be mind-boggling.

Yep, just found out myself.

http://underwaterwedding.net/
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 27 Jan 2014, 19:16

There's not a great deal to talk about in the drumming world. I got a few drumming friends and the LAST thing we talk about is music. Probably because it's our business now and we like to avoid that subject outside the office, so to speak.

But I think the common interest thing does help. Like a gamer chick. Especially the one who kept waking me up to beat parts of Tomb Raider for her with a "WAAAAAH GIANT SPIDER!" or whatever. Smacked her with a pillow.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 27 Jan 2014, 21:48

I've just realised that the reason the forum tends to go quiet around 5am is that it's about midnight over the other side of the Atlantic. Any Aussies up and about?
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 27 Jan 2014, 21:57

I'm trying not to be. It's my first day off in a while so I'd like to be "about" as little as I can.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 27 Jan 2014, 22:02

Ah, well my shift's up and I'm not back on until Monday morning, thanks to Korean New Year! (Except I might be in Thurs or Fri if it picks up :-S)

I'm gonna go get some sleep, then some sunlight. Have a good day off Ducks m'dear.
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 27 Jan 2014, 23:08

I'm almost always around; this is one of the threads I'm subscribed to.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Jan 2014, 00:00

I woke up this morning with the most beautiful epiphany, like my subconscious had been mulling over some stuff for years and finally reached its conclusion. Just a shame it had to let me know at 4 am. I woke up with a whole host of amazing realisations, one of which was that I was going to be staring at the ceiling for a few hours.

Edit: Either that, or I woke up halfway through a dream and just thought I had all the answers, now I'm a little more awake, I'm willing to admit that might be the case.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 30 Jan 2014, 21:38

For the past few months, every conversation I've had is business. Even right down to networking to grow the branches of my own music school. And I am sick of it. So time for me to come here and feed my curiosity.

They say that planets are billions of light-years away. That means it takes billions of years for the light to reach us. Essentially, we're looking into the past. Supernovas we've seen recently have happened LONG ago.

So when we find new planets, what can we learn from them that are far out the reach of not only our solar system but within our planet's lifetime of travel?
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 31 Jan 2014, 00:56

We can learn all kinds of things about the structure of the universe precisely because of the age of the light reaching us from those distances. I don't know the details, but let's say you're trying to map the point in space and time where Big Bang happened, I can see how it would help to compare two planets a couple of billion light years apart.

Though you're probably asking how what we can learn from a specific planet can be useful to know in relation to that planet if it's so far away that it'd be impossible to get there at the speed of light before its star died, and that I can't answer. Maybe it might be good to know if we figure out how to fold space or build planets, but at this moment is does seem a bit like sophistry to spend time and energy studying them.

Funny story, by the way. There's a sizable star about 500 light years away that's very likely to go supernova any time in the next 500 years. So we're going to get a hell of a light show sometime between 2500 and 3000 AD. Might even be enough to kill all unshielded electronics. Of course we knew any star we're looking at may already be dead and we don't see it yet, but 500 light years I think is short enough to give an almost real sense of the distance - about twenty billion times the distance of the moon.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Jan 2014, 05:07

Food gets me excited.
I wish I got this excited with things that are meant to be my hobbies.

I don't want eating to be my #1 hobby.

Return to “General Discussion”